It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
low rated
tfishell: While I think it's good to bump this thread occasionally to remind people this happened, it remains very unlikely you aren't going to get an official explanation, and Chandra is basically just the messenger anyway and would get fired for posting info the higher-ups don't want her sharing.
§pec†re: She can take one for the team and then gog can do it's due diligence when rehiring to avoid any retardera types.
No reason to burn bridges unnecessarily, I certainly wouldn't in her position. this isn't a Julian Assange or Snowden situation.

I don't think it's much more than the suits or shareholders wanting more money here and obviously not caring about DRM-free. Maybe because they saw how little GOG makes.

Longcat: If you think that GOG will make a public statement ... about recommitting to DRM-free games, you are delusional.
presumably this isn't good enough but they did say this in a Verge article:

“First and foremost, we’ve decided that GOG should focus more on its core business activity, which means offering a handpicked selection of games with its unique DRM-free philosophy. In line with this approach, there will be changes in the team structure.”
Post edited December 25, 2021 by tfishell
low rated
tag+: the investors showed some empathy
deesklo: Nice joke, but the rich don't have empathy. They wouldn't become rich otherwise.
Come on! Rich people are just like us. Only richer. Like much richer, filthy rich.
low rated
Longcat: If you think that GOG will make a public statement ... about recommitting to DRM-free games, you are delusional.
tfishell: presumably this isn't good enough but they did say this in a Verge article:

“First and foremost, we’ve decided that GOG should focus more on its core business activity, which means offering a handpicked selection of games with its unique DRM-free philosophy. In line with this approach, there will be changes in the team structure.”
"CD Projekt didn’t immediately reply to questions about how its new strategy might translate into changes to GOG’s features or catalog."

Yeah, no. Reminds me of an ex-girlfriend "recommitting". They make statements that could mean basically anything, leaving enough wiggle room to get out of it whenever they want. And then stop responding when it becomes too hard to keep that up.

Nice to see they have come to the realisation they are only hurting themselves. Sad to see that the only thing that seems to matter to them now is money.
low rated
deesklo: Nice joke, but the rich don't have empathy. They wouldn't become rich otherwise.
timppu: Come on! Rich people are just like us. Only richer. Like much richer, filthy rich.
You get rich by getting riid of all your empathy for others.
low rated
well, if the worst happens and we never get a proper closure to this topic it saves me money and gives me chance to get rid of the pile of shame that, well,piled up over the years, though I probably have more games than I am able to finish in a lifetime

but I will keep reminding them till the end of the world if that's what it takes
low rated
timppu: Come on! Rich people are just like us. Only richer. Like much richer, filthy rich.
Merranvo: You get rich by getting riid of all your empathy for others.
Not true at all.

You get rich by e.g. inheriting a fortune, or being damn lucky in lottery. Neither of which require getting rid of empathy.

Also, it is normal that people tend to prioritize people that are closer to them. I would definitely sacrifice my life to either of my sons, but you...? Nah, I don't even know you. I'll save my empathy to my sons and wife, and siblings, and and and.
low rated
tfishell: “First and foremost, we’ve decided that GOG should focus more on its core business activity, which means offering a handpicked selection of games with its unique DRM-free philosophy. In line with this approach, there will be changes in the team structure.”
I wonder if this means throwing some of their less useful/liked employees out into the cold(pink slip), hiring a bunch of PR-driven diversity hires, or both.
low rated
Merranvo: You get rich by getting riid of all your empathy for others.
timppu: Not true at all.

You get rich by e.g. inheriting a fortune, or being damn lucky in lottery. Neither of which require getting rid of empathy.

Also, it is normal that people tend to prioritize people that are closer to them. I would definitely sacrifice my life to either of my sons, but you...? Nah, I don't even know you. I'll save my empathy to my sons and wife, and siblings, and and and.
You cannot magic up a rich uncle to leave you a fortune, but you can manipulate an old grandma and kill her so she leaves you a fortune.
Winning the lottery would leave you with a very dumb person who spent most of his money on really bad odds rather than investing it, and in a year that person would be penniles.
low rated
Happy new year, here's hoping we get an explanation for this attempted release, recommitment to DRM-free, and assurance our existing games will be free of "developers designing their games how they want" in updates.
low rated
Am I really the only one still holding out for updates, unlikely as they may be?

Weren't GOG supposed to be negotiating to get this game back here, this time in a truly DRM-free form?
low rated
Nope, still have the 40-60 eurodollars (or whatever they're going to charge for it if /when it returns) set aside for it, too.

As for the negotiations - probably still ongoing, with each party waiting for the other's next move/response (the ball likely being in iOi's court at the moment) but might get some more traction again with this complete trilogy bundle I keep hearing/reading about.
The GoG re-re-release is still not going to happen for some time, if I had to hazard a guess.
Post edited January 17, 2022 by Swedrami
low rated
rjbuffchix: Am I really the only one still holding out for updates, unlikely as they may be?
TBH, NuHitman isn't even that good. Whoever came up with the idea to introduce a health regen system should have his brain checked, as it completely negates the whole point of a Hitman game.
low rated
Swedrami: Nope, still have the 40-60 eurodollars (or whatever they're going to charge for it if /when it returns) set aside for it, too.
That's dedication. Goes to show there are those of us here who are happy to buy a big game DRM-free at full price, provided of course, it is actually DRM-free and not "it's DRM-free...buuuut you need an online connection, etc."

fronzelneekburm: TBH, NuHitman isn't even that good. Whoever came up with the idea to introduce a health regen system should have his brain checked, as it completely negates the whole point of a Hitman game.
Agreed here too. Have never liked that mechanic in gaming, stealth games or otherwise. Give me old school hit points any day, and preferably a more intense mode as an additional option where the player has to avoid being hit even once or twice.
Post edited January 17, 2022 by rjbuffchix
low rated
rjbuffchix: Am I really the only one still holding out for updates, unlikely as they may be?
fronzelneekburm: TBH, NuHitman isn't even that good. Whoever came up with the idea to introduce a health regen system should have his brain checked, as it completely negates the whole point of a Hitman game.
Really? Isn't the whole "point" to not be detected at all? If you aren't detected, I'm not sure how you're losing health in the first place. I don't think it's a particularly good mechanic, but it seems like it would be of little consequence in practice.
low rated

Weren't GOG supposed to be negotiating to get this game back here, this time in a truly DRM-free form?
I think many want the game back, but depending on what counts as a "truly DRM-free form", I think realistically it's unlikely to happen. (I do think GOG wants to avoid another uproar of this magnitude, at least for some time.)

Apparently the simplest solution would be to include a save file that unlocks every location and weapon from the start? - is that good enough for those who want to buy the game here?

Realistically IOI are perfectly fine with DRM and realize their time would be best spent (from a financial perspective) working on / promoting / focused on the next game. So I guess, how "picky" can we afford to be? Obviously the original release was unacceptable but it's not like we have much leverage in the matter.
Post edited January 18, 2022 by tfishell