It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The horror continues.

<span class="bold">F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin + Reborn</span>, an action-horror FPS continuation, is available now for Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 60% launch discount.

Where the original F.E.A.R. succeeded in offering a terrifying, refined first person game - <span class="bold">F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin</span> succeeds even more so. The sequel is more open and varied with less linear environments, new gameplay mechanics like movable cover, and even drivable combat mechs. Still, the basic formula remains unchanged - the slo-mo, refined gunplay, effective AI, and a thick horror atmosphere are back in all their gory. <span class="bold">F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin + Reborn</span> which can still impress graphically and gameplay-wise, is arguably the best in the series. A high-quality shooter even today.

This pack includes the Reborn expansion pack with four new levels, a twisted story, and a brand new perspective from behind the mask of replica soldier Foxtrot 813.

Prepare for your second encounter assault in F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin + Reborn, available DRM-free on GOG.com! The launch discount will last for one week, until Tuesday, March 24, at 10:59 AM GMT.
Almost came, but I'm a bit dehydrated after man-flu at the week-end.

All sale'd out, so my purchase will have to wait for a few months.

Superb. Way to go, GoG and WB for extracting the steam :)
add to cart
purchase
download
done

Now to install and play.
KiNgBrAdLeY7: Thank you GoG! Thank you, thank you, and thank you! This series is the ONLY reason that drove me to use Steam. Now i can finally uninstall forever the damn thing, forget it ever happened and get this masterpiece right here! Together with the DLC? Only so cheap?!? At steam, DLC standalone costs 10 euros!

Can't thank you enough! Faith and patience brought results! Thanks again!
InfraSuperman: Interestingly, F.E.A.R. 2 is the only retail game I know that ever had the Steam requirement stripped out later on. At least some re-releases came entirely DRM-free
Ahh. I was a fool. I was scammed! Deceived by FEAR 1 which in retail, back then, had NOTHING to do with STEAM, i instabought FEAR 2, day 1! That was the beginning of my nightmares, with lots of "steam" in them! That is how i discovered the damn thing, initially! I didn't know of re release and steam abortion, but at least now, here, this is the best version ever!

MacNille: I remember playing this game. It was fun, but not as a good as the first FEAR. The ending was fucked up.
Ahh, how wrong you are... What a LOVELY ending! It was the cutest one i have ever seen in this type of game, or a game in general...

011284mm: So tonight to uninstall the Steam copy and this weekend install the DRM-free copy.
Yay! This forum is full of sensible, self-conscious and self-aware gamers and customers!
I've never had the same fondness for this game as I had for the first game, but I'm so glad it's on GOG.com now. As soon as I get through the first game and it's expansions, now I know what to play next :)

F.E.A.R. 3 next? Please?

EDIT: Actually, the only lame part about FEAR 2 that I remember was that you couldn't lean like you could in the first game :P Not sure if that was actually the case though.
Post edited March 18, 2015 by FlamingFirewire
hudfreegamer: Now to install and play.
... and disable HUD.
I won't be getting it now, but this is definitely going on the wishlist!
hudfreegamer: Now to install and play.
Fenixp: ... and disable HUD.
And done.

FlamingFirewire: EDIT: Actually, the only lame part about FEAR 2 that I remember was that you couldn't lean like you could in the first game :P Not sure if that was actually the case though.
No lean. What bugs me most is how enemies are highlighted in slow-mo. Kind of kills the cool factor.
Post edited March 18, 2015 by hudfreegamer
Fenixp: ... and disable HUD.
hudfreegamer: And done.

FlamingFirewire: EDIT: Actually, the only lame part about FEAR 2 that I remember was that you couldn't lean like you could in the first game :P Not sure if that was actually the case though.
hudfreegamer: No lean. What bugs me most is how enemies are highlighted in slow-mo. Kind of kills the cool factor.
Your character is artificially wired up with cables, chemicals and diodes, see couple of RTG scans in game so you can see some of them are in your skull and near your eyes, so no wonder why colors are highlighted. Hud is part of your tactical glasses, no leans is related to different combat system and re-written AI.
Post edited March 18, 2015 by HenitoKisou
March 24th eh?
Solei: Instabought!

Another game i until now refused to buy thanks to steam.
Right? I put off buying it because of the Steam requirement thinking I could get a retail copy for <5 dollars, then I never saw it on shelves again, until now.
HenitoKisou: Your character is artificially wired up with cables, chemicals and diodes, see couple of RTG scans in game so you can see some of them are in your skull and near your eyes, so no wonder why colors are highlighted. Hud is part of your tactical glasses, no leans is related to different combat system and re-written AI.
My guess is that since they had to re-write the engine to work with more enemies and more diverse environments that they just removed and adjusted those features for the sequel. Still, it's a shame that leaning was removed since I can't think of any modern game that still has lean in it.
Solei: Instabought!

Another game i until now refused to buy thanks to steam.
ShadowWulfe: Right? I put off buying it because of the Steam requirement thinking I could get a retail copy for <5 dollars, then I never saw it on shelves again, until now.
Just looking the PC release up online again, I thought the box art was pretty funny:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/813H5aEHrdL._SL1500_.jpg

Not only did the game use Steamworks, but it was also part of the ill-fated Games for Windows AND "Powered by Gamespy". Couldn't be happier to see it released here like this now ^^
Post edited March 18, 2015 by FlamingFirewire
HenitoKisou: Your character is artificially wired up with cables, chemicals and diodes, see couple of RTG scans in game so you can see some of them are in your skull and near your eyes, so no wonder why colors are highlighted. Hud is part of your tactical glasses, no leans is related to different combat system and re-written AI.
FlamingFirewire: My guess is that since they had to re-write the engine to work with more enemies and more diverse environments that they just removed and adjusted those features for the sequel. Still, it's a shame that leaning was removed since I can't think of any modern game that still has lean in it.
They were completely optional and almost useless in original game. In fact I never used leaning to sides in original F.E.A.R. and gameplay lost nothing, more important is strafing to sides and crouching, that way AI from both games is disoriented and acting dumb. I can re-produce same AI behaviour using same playing style in both games and they do the same mistakes so certain bits of original code is preserved I think.

Looks like that cover design is international with Games for Windows logo because Polish edition of pre-order has the same layout bundled with Armacham Field Guide and game being on 2 DVDs. Back in the days it was the only game that couldn't run on my PC because 256 MB GPU requirement. ;-)
FlamingFirewire: My guess is that since they had to re-write the engine to work with more enemies and more diverse environments that they just removed and adjusted those features for the sequel. Still, it's a shame that leaning was removed since I can't think of any modern game that still has lean in it.
HenitoKisou: They were completely optional and almost useless in original game. In fact I never used leaning to sides in original F.E.A.R. and gameplay lost nothing, more important is strafing to sides and crouching, that way AI from both games is disoriented and acting dumb. I can re-produce same AI behaviour using same playing style in both games and they do the same mistakes so certain bits of original code is preserved I think.
I remember them talking in the Developer's Commentary in the first game about how many limitations there were with the original engine that limited them to using indoor areas with only so many "live AI" at the same time, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of it carried over to the second game.

As for leaning, it might not have been very useful, but it certainly was fun to walk around and complete entire shootouts while consistently leaning to the right or poking just around the corner to nail a clone to the wall ^^
FlamingFirewire:
Oh my, seems to be for the better that I waited, what a DRM-in-the-ass.
FlamingFirewire:
ShadowWulfe: Oh my, seems to be for the better that I waited, what a DRM-in-the-ass.
Don't get the wrong idea, this game didn't had GFWL along with Steam, just being marketed as part of the brand of games campaign for Windows, however I might agree that Gamespy was annoying thing while not exactly DRM to multiplayer servers.

The critical part on the cover was whether the game had LIVE word while Games for Windows itself has nothing to do with that stupid DRM.

For example:
http://cdn2.gamefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/arkham.jpg