It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The grandest of grand.

<span class="bold">Europa Universalis III Complete</span>, among the grandest of grand strategy games, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com. Get 66% off your game, or an entire <span class="bold">75% off if you get it alongside the DLC Collection.</span>

The Europa Universalis series is, without a doubt, one of the most legendary and influential grand strategy titles ever released. It singlehandedly spawned a generation of Paradox Interactive titles including Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings and Victoria - all the while remaining the most well-rounded strategy simulator out there. Europa Universalis III is a great starting point on your grand strategy adventure, it'll give you the opportunity to learn the basics and try the many facets of Paradox's signature gameplay - and perhaps move on to a deeper, more focused experience. Or perhaps you enjoy being the lord of every domain. The choice, as always in Europa Universalis III, is truly yours.

You can also pick up the <span class="bold">DLC Collection.</span>, full of additional content and full blown expansions including Heir to the Throne and Divine Wind.

<span class="bold">Europa Universalis III Complete</span> is now DRM-free on GOG.com, the launch discount will last for 5 days, until Tuesday, October 13.
The discussion about Chronicles version is pointless since its an outdated version that only includes expansion packs but does not include all the other dlc that gog offers in the upgrade dlc pack. At the end we should be thankfull for cheaper dlc price then elsewhere.
DukeNukemForever: If something is obsolote, and in that case it's the description of the release, it should be clear to not use that title for a re-release, especially if you have enough options to do not so.
So Splinter Cell is now named "Ninja's do it better", The Witcher is now "Probably a vampire", and Deux Ex is "George shot... Gunther? o.O".

Except that would confuse a lot of people, even people who played the games. And if they released a collection here containing everything and Steam still didn't have one... Why needlessly complicate matters? EU III Complete was released, we wanted more, we got two expansions which was put into Chronicles, GOG has a bit more DLC included so we get Complete and Collection Upgrade.

Simple, easy to understand, and doesn't purposefully confuse anyone or step on any platform's toes.
DukeNukemForever: If something is obsolote, and in that case it's the description of the release, it should be clear to not use that title for a re-release, especially if you have enough options to do not so.
FraggingBard: So Splinter Cell is now named "Ninja's do it better", The Witcher is now "Probably a vampire", and Deux Ex is "George shot... Gunther? o.O".

Except that would confuse a lot of people, even people who played the games. And if they released a collection here containing everything and Steam still didn't have one... Why needlessly complicate matters? EU III Complete was released, we wanted more, we got two expansions which was put into Chronicles, GOG has a bit more DLC included so we get Complete and Collection Upgrade.

Simple, easy to understand, and doesn't purposefully confuse anyone or step on any platform's toes.
As you did above also Paradox could have the creativity to find a suitable title for the release ;-) Even better, they have also the rights to do so. Again, using complete in the title is so awfully wrong and not necessary, that's the main point of the whole discussion here. It's a digital re-release, find and use names for it that describes it's content in the correct manner.
Matruchus: The discussion about Chronicles version is pointless since its an outdated version that only includes expansion packs but does not include all the other dlc that gog offers in the upgrade dlc pack. At the end we should be thankfull for cheaper dlc price then elsewhere.
The thing is, I think having the base package only include the expansion packs would have been a better option, since then, the extra DLC package would be purely cosmetic add-ons. As it stands, they're essentially holding two expansion packs for ransom. And let's not beat around the bush; when it comes to Paradox titles (especially pre-CKII ones), not having some of the expansion packs makes for an inferior experience.

Speaking as someone who prefers his game purchases to be one-time affairs that encompass as much content as possible, I'm really disappointed with some of GOG's decisions as of late. I understand having to do things like this when there is no final edition available, but GOG has been remiss at adding them to the catalog even when they are available. For example, I'm still waiting for the Democracy 3 Collector's Edition to come here (and thanks to a tweet from the developer, I know for a fact that this isn't a problem on their end).

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if GOG offers the 'base' game and DLC separately as well for those who prefer to purchase their games that way. But I WOULD like to have the option to buy a reasonably complete edition of the game (when it is made available), as has been done numerous times before, and I don't think there's anything wrong with giving customers more options in this regard. I don't often say this, but GOG could take a page from Steam and have special package deals in addition to buying the game regularly.

I was really hoping that Victoria II, once it eventually comes here, would arrive in the form of the World Edition (which includes both expansion packs). But considering the precedence set forth by HoI3 and EU3, I fear we'll be lucky if we even get the Gold Edition (which includes the A House Divided expansion, but not the later Heart of Darkness one).
JMich: Nor any more wrong than calling a digital release a "Limited Edition".
Vitek: Is anyone defending Limited Edition here?
I am sort of, though I'm mostly disappointed when I look down and see my Limited Edition, so are the women. Oh wait are we talking about something else here :)
Post edited October 09, 2015 by deonast
Wahoo!

True story: I was just looking through my account at *that other place* and saw I still had a balance, and considered picking up this game there, but thank goodness I did not. I figured it was a matter of time until it came to GOG and lo and behold! Yay! \o/

Now if only GalCiv2 and its expansions could get here too! :-)

Thanks again GOG and Paradox!

Side note: Played the Grand Campaign when "Complete" first came out, and man did that truly feel like a Grand Campaign! Now I am excited to play it again because I never experiences the two additional expansions that were released afterwards (and based on my play-through and reading what they do I would consider them must-haves since they address some key issues).
So I guess that the game itself is so good that the only thing people can complain about is the name of the packaging?

How do you actually feel about the game? I have read that this is more sandboxy than the earlier ones which sound nice to me. Does it run well on modern systems? Would be nice to hear more about peoples impression of the game, especially since the user reviews on the game page aren't really reviews.
Maverick1988: Also, why the upgrade costs 10 bucks more than the base game (without counting on discount)?

Base Game - 15$
DLC Upgrade - 25$
Check it out on Steam:
Base Game - 15$
Base Game + DLCs - 40$, which makes 25$ for DLCs

Also DLCs for Paradox Games adding lots of high quality content to the game, not all but most :)
Gandos: (...................................).
I understand your point but Paradox has discontinued the Chronicles edition on Steam but I do agree the older Paradox games are feature incomplete without the expansion dlcs (different development model from what they use today). Greenmangaming and Gamersgate seem to still have some old stock of Chronicles keys (steam) though which is a bit weird. For Victoria 2 all I can say is you definitely won't see the World Edition since that one is retail only. Definitely its going to be base game + dlc pack since that is standard for Paradox for a few years now. Only after all the dlcs or most of them are released Paradox makes special edition packs like Victoria Collection (Viki 1+2 and all dlc). Though I wonder why gog hasn't made them available.
Post edited October 09, 2015 by Matruchus
Thank you @JMich and @Woolytoes for the answers.

So Chronicles is a bit outdated and the DLC pack is a bit less expensive here. Got it.

I'm with @Gandos. Got a point there and I agree. I would also like a pack with everything than something separatedly. Or a rearrange with basegame plus expansions then DLC pack with the rest. It doesn't matter that much, but still 'hate' a bit that isn't a single pack with the whole lot. Oh, well... :P
gscotti: Kind of want, but my problem with these Paradox games (I am not sure about EU3 specifically) is that with my poor eyesight I am not anymore able to comfortably read the messages on screen. And I have never found a way to increase the font size. Is there any option to change this in EU3, or an option to play the game at lower resolution?
Wolfram_von_Thal: I suffer from the same problems, my eyes aren't what they used to be anymore. I play it on 1024x768 and that's acceptable in my case, in every higher resolution the font is too small for me.
Me too... err three. Same problem with all of the paradox games. End up six inches from screen before I can read some of the tiny print.
I agree the naming of an edition as "complete" when it's, ahmm, not, is unethical. And it doesn't matter if it used to be correct, the fact that it isn't any more means that shouldn't be the name of the package anymore.

That all said, for those like me who like to buy actual COMPLETE editions for a reasonable price, right now is the time to do so. Because you can buy the actual COMPLETE EDITION (ALL DLC) for $10.08. That's only $.09 more than a standard $9.99 game. That's not bad for this game, COMPLETE. I gave gog my $10.08. Will give them another $10.08 to give away for someone unable to splurge right now, but really, $10.08 for the COMPLETE edition right now is a good deal IMO. Even if the marketing is unethical (and it is).
OldFatGuy: I agree the naming of an edition as "complete" when it's, ahmm, not, is unethical. And it doesn't matter if it used to be correct, the fact that it isn't any more means that shouldn't be the name of the package anymore.

That all said, for those like me who like to buy actual COMPLETE editions for a reasonable price, right now is the time to do so. Because you can buy the actual COMPLETE EDITION (ALL DLC) for $10.08. That's only $.09 more than a standard $9.99 game. That's not bad for this game, COMPLETE. I gave gog my $10.08. Will give them another $10.08 to give away for someone unable to splurge right now, but really, $10.08 for the COMPLETE edition right now is a good deal IMO. Even if the marketing is unethical (and it is).
I see it as

buy - 2 games selected
You save 30.00 (75%)
Which is actualy $.01 less than standard $9.99 game and a rather silly regional pricing, why even bother?
Maverick1988: Also, why the upgrade costs 10 bucks more than the base game (without counting on discount)?

Base Game - 15$
DLC Upgrade - 25$
Woolytoes: Check it out on Steam:
Base Game - 15$
Base Game + DLCs - 40$, which makes 25$ for DLCs

Also DLCs for Paradox Games adding lots of high quality content to the game, not all but most :)
Actually there are 4 packages adding remarkable content to EU3:
- the 1st expansion "Napoleon's Ambition"
- the 2nd expansion "In Nomine"
which are both included in the "Complete Edition", and
- the "Heir to the Throne" Expansion
- the "Divine Wind" Expansion
the rest is just eye/ear candy (sprites, music...)

It seems to be similar with the tons of DLC for CK2.

I would prefer either all seperate (i.e. the vanilla base game, Napoleon's Ambition, In Nomine.. etc. all extra) or the complete package with all 4 game-play relevant expansions, and the ones who are in need of the eye candy can buy that in a seperate DLC pack. This would also circumvent the misleading "Complete Edition" which isn't really complete any more.

PS: The retail version of EU3 Chronicles is btw (without discounts of course) cheaper than the download version and also DRM-free
Wolfram_von_Thal: I suffer from the same problems, my eyes aren't what they used to be anymore. I play it on 1024x768 and that's acceptable in my case, in every higher resolution the font is too small for me.
OldFatGuy: Me too... err three. Same problem with all of the paradox games. End up six inches from screen before I can read some of the tiny print.
At any rate, I have now decided not to reward Paradox for being arseholes. I just learned that EU IV is no better, font-wise. There's a dude that made a mod to increase font size, but it's a bit of a game of whack-a-mole as the mod has to keep in sync with the updates. It's never going to be a good solution unless Paradox itself fixes it. And they never will. So fuck 'em.

For what it's worth, I don't get all this bitching about naming of the EU3 software package "Full" or not. What BS! Who cares, you get the game and all add-ons at a great price, quit yer kwetching and play it (if you can).
Post edited October 09, 2015 by gscotti