It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
low rated
LOL you're all fucking idiots. Breja, you're also a cunt. :)

I will post when I want and what I want and only a permanent ban will stop me. Like I said earlier, NaziCiris, you dumb bitch.
high rated
Ignoring this recent outbreak of insults just now, I will add my voice to everyone else's: give us an option to toggle a permanent view of classic or Galaxy installers.

I also question their motives as it stands. They could as easily change the "TRY GALAXY" button into a "DOWNLOAD WITH GALAXY" button and below it a short snip of what Galaxy stands for. If Galaxy is detected, download the game with it, if not, download Galaxy with a custom parameter and when it installs and the user logs in, automatically download the game for them. Less space wasted on your servers and our hard drives, no need for double the installers, etc.

That method can also be used to allow remote downloading of the games, really. I suggested this method before though, but seriously, it's much better and has more features to boot...
Post edited July 07, 2017 by PookaMustard
low rated
BLOATWARE IS NOT A BAD THING BECAUSE GOOGLE AND ADOBE AND A LOT OF SHAREWARES DO IT ALL THE TIME.

SHUT UP GOG IS IMPOSING US ONE MORE CLICK NO WAIT ITS DOWNLOADER LINKS TO THE CORRECT VERSION SO IT IS IMPOSING US ZERO MORE CLICKS BUT THIS IS STILL TOO MANY.

ALSO GOG IS NAZI AND KILLS JEWS BY THE MILLIONS.

Yeah. Sometimes I need a thread like that to remind me why I detest every human.
Telika: BLOATWARE IS NOT A BAD THING BECAUSE GOOGLE AND ADOBE AND A LOT OF SHAREWARES DO IT ALL THE TIME.

SHUT UP GOG IS IMPOSING US ONE MORE CLICK NO WAIT ITS DOWNLOADER LINKS TO THE CORRECT VERSION SO IT IS IMPOSING US ZERO MORE CLICKS BUT THIS IS STILL TOO MANY.

ALSO GOG IS NAZI AND KILLS JEWS BY THE MILLIONS.

Yeah. Sometimes I need a thread like that to remind me why I detest every human.
What that moron did (talking about budejovice) is working for GOG. By trying to demolish any valid arguments against the recent GOG practices, but going on purpose over the top and trying to destroy the conversation, perhaps even block the thread.
It is a common practice for decades, outside of internet forums too of course.
high rated
There can be no insults here, this thread is too important.

Please can we argue the case and not the individual.

I personally am on the verge of abandoning GOG over this, but as long as there are links to non galaxy downloads, buried though they may be, I will continue to purchase NON GALAXY.

If that changes, I will not rant, nor post racial slurs, I will simply leave.
trusteft: What that moron did (talking about budejovice) is working for GOG. By trying to demolish any valid arguments against the recent GOG practices, but going on purpose over the top and trying to destroy the conversation, perhaps even block the thread.
It is a common practice for decades, outside of internet forums too of course.
Nope, Budejovice is on his own self-derailed crusade, and he's been for a sad little while. He's not part of The Conspiracy.

And at this point, after having even made the honest, bloat-free installers the default ones on downloader, GOG doesn't really require strawmen to make the still enraged users pretty ridiculous.

And given the ridicule of those who, on the other hand, would have seen no problem with that bloatware being included in every installer (or the untouched installers being buried under layers of clicks), well, there isn't many protagonists left in this thread to be taken even remotely seriously.

But carry on, everybody. In the meantime, I have some DRM-free galaxy-free installers to download, and while the process isn't one click longer than before (regardless of what the thread would make it look like), it's not shorter either.

lazydog: this thread is too important.
Not since GOG provided an "have your cake and eat it" solution that people are STILL super duper furious about. The original seriousness of this thread has completely collapsed.

Remains the joy of outrage in itself, and we know the powerful drug that it is. But for others this is now a bunch of people swimming on the carpet. It will last a while, but, yeah, it's a bit its own thing now.
Post edited July 08, 2017 by Telika
high rated
Telika: And at this point, after having even made the honest, bloat-free installers the default ones on downloader, GOG doesn't really require strawmen to make the still enraged users pretty ridiculous.
I know I will probably terribly regret responding to you for the first time in years, but this is such bullshit I absolutely cannot do otherwise.

Not everyone uses the downloader. I sure don't. How is making them default in the downloader solve anything else? It's still not possible to set them as default in the library. And most important of all - there is still no information about the Galaxy-free installers outised of this thread. How is asking for that information to be provided on the download page for everyone ridiculous? Please, do explain that to me. Because right now as far as any new user or old user who hasn't opened this thread knows, there are no galaxy-free installers.

EDIT: Here, please tell IronArcturus how ridiculous that idea is.
Post edited July 08, 2017 by Breja
high rated
Telika: And at this point, after having even made the honest, bloat-free installers the default ones on downloader, GOG doesn't really require strawmen to make the still enraged users pretty ridiculous.
Breja: I know I will probably terribly regret responding to you for the first time in years, but this is such bullshit I absolutely cannot do otherwise.

Not everyone uses the downloader. I sure don't. How is making them default in the downloader solve anything else? It's still not possible to set them as default in the library. And most important of all - there is still no information about the Galaxy-free installers outised of this thread. How is asking for that information to be provided on the download page for everyone ridiculous? Please, do explain that to me. Because right now as far as any new user or old user who hasn't opened this thread knows, there are no galaxy-free installers. Or is this some kind of "downloader master race" thing, and as lot as people who use it are ok, then everything is ok?
I thought this was pretty much the plan. Force people to use galaxy, most of them not knowing they have an alternative, and after X time, come out with a big "Most people use galaxy so we are stopping the galaxy-free installers, that's what you gamers want!!!!!"
It's nothing new. Others have done it in the past, they are just following those steps. It's total BS of course and when they finally do it they will just become another steam-key re-seller, but they don't see it this way, too star-struck by their own ingenuity...
Breja: I know I will probably terribly regret responding to you for the first time in years, but this is such bullshit I absolutely cannot do otherwise.

Not everyone uses the downloader. I sure don't. How is making them default in the downloader solve anything else? It's still not possible to set them as default in the library. And most important of all - there is still no information about the Galaxy-free installers outised of this thread. How is asking for that information to be provided on the download page for everyone ridiculous? Please, do explain that to me. Because right now as far as any new user or old user who hasn't opened this thread knows, there are no galaxy-free installers.

EDIT: Here, please tell IronArcturus how ridiculous that idea is.
You do raise a valid point. If I weren't watching this thread and wanted to download a game in a hurry, I might find myself getting those funny installers without paying attention to anything. This option would have been far better if a new suspicious toggle appeared that switches between Classic and Galaxy going by their...not so efficient implementation.

======

On another note, GOG has yet to update the SNK games or Shadow Warrior Classic Redux, so I can't test the Galaxy installers yet to inspect with detail. I'll have to add though that for the Witcher games, the download sizes for the games are...interesting. Specifically the last parts of the installers, as the rest are pretty much the same.

Witcher 2 Galaxy: 3.9GBs
Witcher 2 Classic: 2.2GBs

Outrageous right? At this point it'd be more productive to download the Witcher 2's classic installer and then a full Galaxy setup. 2.2GBs + 150MBs = ~2.3GBs or ~2.4GBs, far less than 3.9GBs. Of course I don't know if these are the actual download sizes, but just seeing the numbers help me decide which to download.

Witcher Galaxy: 1.2GBs
Witcher Classic: 1GB

Now for the original Witcher this makes sense. The last part has 0.2GBs which I think is close to Galaxy's 150MBs limit. Did you know that the last part of the Classic installer was once shown as a big flat 3.9GBs? According to RedTechKnight, the download was still 1GB when I first reported this, but still.

That's the observations I wanted to share for now. I will still await the small Galaxy installers for more detailed info about the installers we're getting.
high rated
Hey gog, I was just thinking. The forum has small text and a grey background. you could replace the grey background with "download gog Galaxy! Our totally optional client" all over the grey background. You could also make the forum text smaller. That way people will know gog has a client and that it's optional. I don't think your doing enough to make people aware of gog Galaxy and I'm really disappointed.
low rated
deleted
Fairfox: 3.9 = 2.4 when yooou click it. Weird. GOGie = FAKE NEWS! :O
My. Already GOG is listing the wrong sizes for the downloads.
Theoretically if people know about both installers and prefer the Galaxy installer, but found the Classic installer to be this small in comparison, they should flock to the Classic variant. Theoretically.

Had GOG just finished the stub, they could embed it into the installer (the very first file) and call it a day. Heck, we'd end up having a checkbox in our installers that we can check or not and if left checked, will install as ordered, but...I'm not sure what's going on anymore.
high rated
I am still user the the old gog downloader. For me it work nicely.

https://www.gog.com/downloader

I never use Galaxy. It is not exactly my cup of tea.

For me Galaxy is mostly a piece of Digital Right Minimization, for multiplayer.
I know it has some nice features too. But:
For more and more games here on GOG. There is no way to play multiplayer any more.
Not without logon thru the "optional" galaxy client. Even locally (LAN-play).
So if/when GOG goes "offline". It will be like when gamespy went down:
Multiplayer will die for a lot of game from here.

Beside this. The new way of distributing it remind me a bit of sneaky drive-by installers.
Extra add-on programs should ALWAYS be opt-in never opt-out. As it is here.

I do work by maintaining computers and people comes to me time and time again having unwanted stuff.
So they asking me for help to get rid of it. Often it is opt out stuff like internet security crap tool bars and so on.
Things you get when installing something and forgetting to remove that tick bar on wonder browser toolbar 2.
And yes not everyone know a lot of computers.

So (WORST CASE) someone might show up in a case like:
I did let my grand-child install this little game Stardew valley. And now this virus thing (galaxy) is on my computer. Help me. Now I have to explain to them how it got there and help them removing Galaxy and leving stardev valy on the computer...

This can as others already have pointed out, mostly all be avoided by:
a) Letting the tick mark be a opt-in.
b) Making an account-setting (again opt in) where one can select whether to get galaxy bundled with installers. Default or not.

PS. Just calculated that it wold waist roughly 132 GB of Hard disk. If all my games got bundled with galaxy.

/regards
Post edited July 08, 2017 by Agrilla
low rated
Featured in this thread:
Babies who don't like change.
high rated
With one very small change, this feature would be EXACTLY what I wanted.

That feature is an account setting to default to the classic installers.

Is there a reason that's not present?