It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
PaladinWay: With one very small change, this feature would be EXACTLY what I wanted.

That feature is an account setting to default to the classic installers.

Is there a reason that's not present?
They didn't think of it.

Cavalary: 'scuse me for not going through this whole mess now, but did blues give an ETA for adding a profile setting that makes sure you get the classic installers as primary?
Lemon_Curry: Nope:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/offline_installers_with_an_option_to_install_gog_galaxy?staff=yes
Of course they didn't because that wouldn't be Galaxy-friendly™.
Post edited July 08, 2017 by direspirefirewire
low rated
Thanks for the laughs,girls.
JMich: Even if it meant that you could extract them without using any third party tools? Instead of .rar with its proprietary compression, use an open compression method that most OSes can already read. Scripts are still part of the .exe file, and inno tools can still read them, while the .bin files can be opened by any kind of compression tool.
Of course you could do that in a sensible way. But we already have seen what kind of solutions arise when GOG starts to tinker with the installers. Better let us not encourage them to do so.
Just stumbled across:
Youtube: HyperNormalisation and Gaming
Post edited July 08, 2017 by Executer
low rated
Executer: No.. the main issue is does GOG does not act according its principles and promises.
And where exactly ? What principle did they actually break here ? Galaxy is optional, they offer you the possibility to download installers without Galaxy bundled as they said they would do, what heinous crime against grand principle did they commit ?

Executer: The REAL problem is they want Galaxy installed on more Computers because they need it to grow the platform and make money and for whatever plans the didn't told us.
And how is it that a problem as long as it remain optional ? You might not like using a client and it's fine, but big news for you, not everybody is like that, there are peoples who enjoy using a client because it convenient, some who even complained that Gog didn't offer such a feature, and who don't mind it as long as it's optional, and no amount of tantrum and hitting your foot on the floor in rage is going to change that.

It feels like your real issue, and other in this thread, is not really whenever or not Galaxy is optimal, bundled or anything, but simply that you don't like client for philosophical reasons and are incredibly angry that others might use them or don't mind them.
low rated
Serren: You have to specifically pay attention to the fine text on the download pop-up, then specifically select the clean installer from the menu. That is a mandatory opt-out by any sane definition.
They said that the default installers were the Galaxy ones, when peoples complained they answered that they would offer Galaxy-free installers, that's exactly what they did. Seeing that as "opt-out" is at the same level as saying that Gog is not DRM-free; because after all you have to connect online to access to your game and that's a "mandatory DRM" by any sane definition, right ?

Serren: I'm sorry, but the fact that some do unscrupulous things doesn't give anyone else a free pass. That's some shill level handwaving you're doing though.
That a way too big of an oversimplification, it's not a question of giving anybody a free pass, but like most "practice" it's used for both good and bad reason, it could be either to have peoples install some crappy toolbar or simply enable by default updates to avoid peoples ending up with an outdated version that would represent a huge security risk.
high rated
Gersen: And how is it that a problem as long as it remain optional ?
Galaxy is optional™, defined by GOG. It's optional as long as you do not want to
- play some games in multiplayer mode,
- download some game demo,
- download the most current version of a game in development,
- rollback a game to a previous version.

Of course it still may be optional for everything else on GOG.
high rated
eiii: Galaxy is optional™, defined by GOG. It's optional as long as you do not want to
But these were there for ages. Before Galaxy was even announced, when all we had was standalone installers, you couldn't play multiplayer (except if the game supported LAN or similar), developers often didn't bother updating GOG, and you could never rollback to get a previous version.
None of these have to do with Galaxy.
Gersen: Galaxy is optional, they offer you the possibility to download installers without Galaxy bundled as they said they would do, what heinous crime against grand principle did they commit ?
The biggest problem is that it's truly optional only for the people who are aware of this thread, which really make just a tiny fraction of GOG users. For anyone else there is no indication that an alternative is available. There is really now way to tell, except if you read about it here, that you have to click More->Classic Installers to get a Galaxy-free version.

But yeah, at this point I pretty much stopped caring. As long as I get my DRM-free, Galaxy-free installers I'll continue using it. Otherwise GOG can dig their own grave.
Post edited July 08, 2017 by ZFR
Gersen: And how is it that a problem as long as it remain optional ?
eiii: Galaxy is optional™, defined by GOG. It's optional as long as you do not want to

Of course it still may be optional for everything else on GOG.
Yep, it's called features, Galaxy has some extra features, that was the whole point of it, offer extra features on top of the existing one.
high rated
ZFR: But these were there for ages. Before Galaxy was even announced, when all we had was standalone installers, you couldn't play multiplayer (except if the game supported LAN or similar), developers often didn't bother updating GOG, and you could never rollback to get a previous version.
None of these have to do with Galaxy.
They weren't there for ages. Most of these features have been introduced exclusively for Galaxy. And controlling the access to a game demo with Galaxy is only the last "achievement". With Steam you need the Steam client to install a game, with GOG you need the Galaxy client to install a game demo. The only difference for now is that it's "only" a demo in case of GOG.

Gersen: Yep, it's called features, Galaxy has some extra features, that was the whole point of it, offer extra features on top of the existing one.
Sure, having access to a game demo is only a "feature". But that's the whole point, Galaxy makes GOG a two class society, with restricted features for users without Galaxy and full features for users with Galaxy.

It's all about intention. When your intention is to keep a program optional you implement new features in a way that they are accessible with and without the program. When your intention is to push the use of a program you implement new features in a way that they only can be used with your program.
Post edited July 08, 2017 by eiii
eiii: They weren't there for ages. Most of these features have been introduced exclusively for Galaxy. And controlling the access to a game demo with Galaxy is only the last "achievement". With Steam you need the Steam client to install a game, with GOG you need the Galaxy client to install a game demo. The only difference for now is that it's "only" a demo in case of GOG.
Is that so? I just added the Hello Neighbor demo to my account and I can download it from my browser fine in all 450MBs of it. Can you name the demos which are distributed only through Galaxy?
Post edited July 08, 2017 by PookaMustard
PookaMustard: Can you name the demos which are distributed only through Galaxy?
"<i>This demo requires GOG Galaxy to download</i>"
PookaMustard: Can you name the demos which are distributed only through Galaxy?
eiii: "<i>This demo requires GOG Galaxy to download</i>"
Calling this a demo is a bit much... it's pre-alpha and barely a game at all, used specifically for testing. There are good practical reasons really for restricing this type of "tech demo" to Galaxy and it's not like one is being asked to pay for it or was even promissed access. It's wasn't even advertised by GOG or the publisher.

Sure one could harp on this if they want, but lets look at this in context. Every other real "demo" here has released when an actual playable and buyable game has released. All of those demo's have been playable without Galaxy as far as I am aware. Many have released after that so called "tech demo".

So it's clearly the exception not the rule... if one looks hard enough they will always find something that validates their line of thinking. Right or wrong.
BKGaming: There are good practical reasons really for restricing this type of "tech demo" to Galaxy
What kind of practical reasons? Considering people which do not use Galaxy being too stupid to test it? Or not worth to test it?
The only "practical reason" I can see is to control the use of this demo, to prevent that it still can be installed after it has been deleted from GOG, which some people even may consider being... ;)

It's not about this special demo, it's about treating people which do not use Galaxy as second class users. And this demo is only one example.

BKGaming: So it's clearly the exception not the rule...
That's how everything starts, with an exception to the rule. Would you also argue like this when the first game with DRM appears on GOG? ;P
BKGaming: There are good practical reasons really for restricing this type of "tech demo" to Galaxy
eiii: What kind of practical reasons? Considering people which do not use Galaxy being too stupid to test it? Or not worth to test it?
The only "practical reason" I can see is to control the use of this demo, to prevent that it still can be installed after it has been deleted from GOG, which some people even may consider being... ;)
Getting metrics might be a reason too, that i consider reasonable, as long the user is informed about it.