It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
high rated
Breja: Now just think for a moment, how much more convenient it would be for us, if we could be given the option to set what we want to be the default download. Anyone who doesn't want to use Galaxy shouldn't have to swith to the classic installers every single time, and anyone who uses the Galaxy download once, will not need to do so again, so if they are afterwards looking for downloads through their library it will be to back up the offline installers.
My thoughts, too. The current implementation still lacks honesty and purpose.
high rated
Wow, you guys actually went through with this mind-bogglingly stupid 'solution'. I'm actually in danger of getting whiplash, because I'm shaking my head so hard. Wow. Just... wow.
fables22: BLA BLA BLA
GOG SUCKZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
high rated
Still say a simple flag on users accounts would have been better.

If set to true, default to classic installers.

New users get Installer+galaxy for simplicty, older users can choose to globally opt out and have galaxy free installers.
high rated
Ok, since Fables only posts PR Good News™ and doesn't answer questions, I did some research to answer my question myself.

The installers with Galaxy included have _(g) added to their filenames, so for Witcher 3 GOTY:

Classic installer
setup_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_goty_1.31_(a)_(9709).exe

Galaxy installer
setup_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_goty_1.31_(a)_(9709)_(g).exe

If you download backups through Galaxy you seem to get the classic installers. At least that was the case for the few test downloads I've made. The only way to actually tell is to look at the filenames and check if they have the _(g) or not.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by DoctorGOGgles
DoctorGOGgles: If you download backups through Galaxy you seem to get the classic installers. At least that was the case for the few test downloads I've made. The only way to actually tell is to look at the filenames and check if they have the _(g) or not.
So if you use GALAXY to download you are getting the CLASSIC installers as default and if you use the web site you are getting the GALAXY installers as default ... yes, that sounds pretty smart. People who usually don't use Galaxy are getting the "Hey, use Galaxy - it's much better" installers so they have to search for the classic ones while the people who t already use Galaxy and don't mind it having it in every backup installer (at least according to the GOG logic people really do want such things) won't get it as default. Yep .. totally clear ...
high rated
i have no hope in GOG... i am not even angry or sad anymore.. its just pathetic...
low rated
deleted
Post edited July 06, 2017 by Fairfox
Fairfox: Can I not download teh 'Classic' installers usin' Galaxy? Becaaaause if not Imma screwed as mah browser downloads (large) installers in their entirety then fails 90% of teh tiem (Random Lee, it seems) :/
Right now it seems like you can only download the classic installers via Galaxy.

You can not download the Galaxy installers via Galaxy, since there is no option to switch between the two installers in the menu when you use Galaxy. Since the notice mentioning which version you're downloading is also missing in Galaxy, you can't be sure it will always be the classic installer though. Galaxy downloaded the classic version for all 5 games I've tried, but it's not guaranteed and it might change anytime.
GOG why?! i want to have the option when to install Galaxy, and not have it included in the games i download from my library. My download quota is limited. Come on GOG. i'd hope you were better than this?
Post edited July 06, 2017 by direspirefirewire
direspirefirewire: GOG why?! i want to have the option when to install Galaxy, and not have it included in the games i download from my library. My download quota is limited. Come on GOG. i'd hope you were better than this?
You have - you "just" have to chose the classic installer download to do this. And you'll have to do this for every game that also has a Galaxy embedded installer as well. So be sure to check if there is an option "Classic installer" available because if there is you cannot just click the download buton you have to chose this special download. Sounds complicated? Well ... it is ... but what can you do?
SOOOOooooooooo. What's the procedure for the DRM-free versions ?

Say, if I was to redownload "Renowned Explorer". I'm using the GOG Downloader. I'm getting a "setup_renowned_explorers_64_457_(12419)". Is is the one with or without the bloatware ?

Post 1425 implies that the bloatware would have been announced by a (g) in the name, so, GOG Downloader -> okay version ?

Edit : Same with Hard West. I get a "setup_hard_west_64_1.5_(13043)" with no "(g)". Does it mean I'm still getting the honest install file by default ?
Post edited July 06, 2017 by Telika
high rated
fables22: Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.
Why don't you allow us to set an account option to never show Galaxy-infected installers? The only possible reason I can think of is that you want this to be as convoluted as possible in an attempt to trick people into installing your worthless client.

It looks like it's TamperMonkey to the rescue again.
I... don't understand the instructions. I'm using Firefox to access my "Games" page. Where is the menu where I select whether I want to download classic or Galaxy installers? I checked the download pages for Turok and FTL, and it lists only the Classic installers (mentioning below them that they don't include the Galaxy installer)? So which is the menu with the option to switch between the two versions, or haven't Turok and FTL received the Galaxy installer yet? They were mentioned in that list.

EDIT: Apparently those two listed games haven't just received the new installer yet. I found the option in e.g. The Witcher 3 GOTY.

To anyone who has checked the two alternative versions: how much does the Galaxy installer increase the size? Is it the full installer, ot a smaller stub?

At least it is good they are differentiating the Galaxy-embedded versions with a "_(g)" in the filename, so for automated scripts (like gogrepo.py) it is easy to skip any files including that string, in case they'd otherwise download both versions. As long as GOG sticks to that, and will not use "(g)" for any other purpose in the filenames.

I'm glad I downloaded all my GOG game installers with gogrepo just before this announcement, in case there are hiccups with the third-party tools...
Post edited July 06, 2017 by timppu
direspirefirewire: GOG why?! i want to have the option when to install Galaxy, and not have it included in the games i download from my library. My download quota is limited. Come on GOG. i'd hope you were better than this?
Oh, that option's there. It just requires you to wade a bit deeper in the menu on the game page.