It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The classic strategy game receives a new version with fresh features and visuals. Master of Magic is now available on GOG.COM in a completely updated version.

Also, you can now acquire a Master of Magic: Caster of Magic DLC that further expands the game’s universe and the community options.

Note: the classic version of the game will be added as a freebie to every Master of Magic purchase.
Themken: So, this makes NO difference at all when you play on Linux. Hopefully a Linux build in coming later this week.
Well, I notice one big difference: any mention of Linux support has been removed from the store page.
Annnnnd bought it.
igrok: The irony of modern software development: the launcher takes 10x more disk space than the game itself.

Well, they dropped the official linux and mac support, so the old linux installers (containing v.1.31) are now shipped as goodies. So there is no redundancy here. Even if you are on windows, you may prefer the old installers without the new launcher.

It's not a "merely" updated build. The original Master of Magic was bugged as hell, so that even back then it received several major patches that fixed some of the bugs and problems in game balance. V1.3 was almost a different game despite looking exactly the same.

After that there were unofficial patches by the community which tried to solve the remaining issues. One shouldn't underestimate how difficult fixing a game like MoM can be. I personally prefer such releases rather than attempts like Z or Commandos 2 HD.
Gudadantza: Ok. So the freebie version for dowload in extras is the classic 1.3.1 version

And the official version in the launcher is one version called 1.3.1.01. What has changed in this version? The readme just says "Initial release".
I know a lot was changed in unofficial patches. But what makes different the classic in extras and the official in the launcher?
From what I can see, the re-release is just a launcher overlay on top of the original 1.31 version and the latest version of the unofficial patches. The DLC is also based on a mod. Unclear what, if any, commercial clean-up has been done to the original mods.
Lone_Scout: 203 MB for the latest version.
I wonder how many floppy disks would you need to store that.
karnak1: Kinda scary when one thinks about it. My first PC had a 60mb hard drive. There's no way I'd be able to install Master of Magic now :P
Master of Magic Caster of Magic DLC folder (the base game with patches and DLC altogether) is 46.2 Mb in size, even less if you remove DOSBox. You might still be able to install it.
Excellent, I wonder how old time fans will like the changes.
Awesome!

Now.... please get the **ORIGINAL** Master of Magic by Mastertronic for Commodore 64 packaged with a C64 emulator. :P

Now that is a genuine "Good Ole Game™ :P (yes, GOG isn't an acronym for that anymore blah blah blah)

The music arrangement by Rob Hubbard in that game is enough of a reason to get it, but the game was also quite fun to boot. :)

Ok, I'm also biased because I'm working on a guitar cover of the music...
NVM
Post edited February 26, 2020 by paladin181
zazak09: Apparently the money earned from the DLC goes to the mod creator, and he will use it to continue updating.

https://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=9846
OK, this has me convinced about getting the DLC, now rather than later. The guy worked alot on the unofficial patches and now on the DLC! He deserves to be rewarded. Thanks, zazak09 for linking it here! +1

A little off topic rant: I went to the Caster of Magic DLC page and noticed a review by unicurse. He mentions that the game is brutally difficult on higher AI settings. I wanted to ask him if the AI is using strategy to defeat you, or is it simply getting more resources. Unfortunately the account hasn't corrected the privacy settings, so I can't use PM. :(

So does anybody know if the new AI uses new strategies on higher difficulties, or does it simply receive more resources, which allows it to out-produce you? Basically true difficulty, or cheat based difficulty?
Post edited February 26, 2020 by MadalinStroe
nice
MadalinStroe: So does anybody know if the new AI uses new strategies on higher difficulties, or does it simply receive more resources, which allows it to out-produce you? Basically true difficulty, or cheat based difficulty?
AFAIK it's the latter. Always has been in MoM. Caster of Magic (and the 1.50 patch before) are harder than the standard game because the AI actually gets some competence (regardless of difficulty setting).
The vanilla game's AI was not very clever and also had numerous bugs (like disbanding units for no apparent reasons or using spell that would do nothing).
high rated
Hi all,

Please allow me to clear up a couple of things:

We repackaged the DOSBOX version of Master of Magic. The base game now comes with 2 versions of the game.

- Classic (1.31 - the same was was available on GoG before)
- Community Patch (1.52 - enhanced by modders to reduce amount of bugs)

Players are free to choose whichever they like. For those who still want the old GoG installer, it is there in the extras folder, so if you don't want anything to change, that is fine.

If the DLC is purchased, it can be downloaded and unlocked and will be added to the new launcher. This will allow you to launch all three versions of the game, with as little hassle as possible.

All versions of the game still use Dosbox.

Hope it helps.

- Surtur
low rated
Damn, they've caught Seravy and put him to torture!

And we will see the ugly 3D modern version still in the future...

And I laughed my eyes out when I saw Windows 8 as a minimum requirement. For DOSBox game, yes. GFY.
minimum req is windows 8??????? wtf...
DOSBox and this game in particular both work fine under Windows 7, as well as Galaxy 2.0 Beta.
Niggles: minimum req is windows 8??????? wtf...
Like Cadaver747 wrote, everything seems to work fine. I just tried the game on Win7 (using Galaxy 2.0) and I had no issues launching and playing the game.