It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The classic strategy game receives a new version with fresh features and visuals. Master of Magic is now available on GOG.COM in a completely updated version.

Also, you can now acquire a Master of Magic: Caster of Magic DLC that further expands the game’s universe and the community options.

Note: the classic version of the game will be added as a freebie to every Master of Magic purchase.
igrok: The irony of modern software development: the launcher takes 10x more disk space than the game itself.

Gudadantza: If the classic version in extras is the old 1.31 version as a "freebie", it can be the most unnecesary, confusing and redundant release ever. Because apparently The "official version" in the launcher is already the 1.31.
igrok: Well, they dropped the official linux and mac support, so the old linux installers (containing v.1.31) are now shipped as goodies. So there is no redundancy here. Even if you are on windows, you may prefer the old installers without the new launcher.

HunchBluntley: That's really weird. I don't think I've ever heard of a commercial re-release of a DOS game where it's literally an updated DOS build that still runs in DOSBox.
igrok: It's not a "merely" updated build. The original Master of Magic was bugged as hell, so that even back then it received several major patches that fixed some of the bugs and problems in game balance. V1.3 was almost a different game despite looking exactly the same.

After that there were unofficial patches by the community which tried to solve the remaining issues. One shouldn't underestimate how difficult fixing a game like MoM can be. I personally prefer such releases rather than attempts like Z or Commandos 2 HD.
Ok. So the freebie version for dowload in extras is the classic 1.3.1 version

And the official version in the launcher is one version called 1.3.1.01. What has changed in this version? The readme just says "Initial release".
I know a lot was changed in unofficial patches. But what makes different the classic in extras and the official in the launcher?
HunchBluntley: My point was the fact that the new patched, updated version still running in DOS is extremely unusual. I neither said nor implied anything about the quality or quantity of the changes made by this patch. : )
Yes, few people develop for DOS these days ;) My point is this is million times better than receiving a remake/remaster with modern cheap-looking 3d visuals and completely changed game mechanics. This happens way too often (just recently there was a release of a Rampart clone which looked like a typical mobile game), so I am glad Slitherine went a different way.
Gudadantza: And the official version in the launcher is one version called 1.3.1.01. What has changed in this version? The readme just says "Initial release".
I think the only difference is the launcher, which allows to switch between the original game, the community-patched version of the game and the DLC, if you own it. Also, I don't think the community-patched version was available before with the old gog installer.
Post edited February 25, 2020 by igrok
tburger: So if I already own MoM classic (purchased it long time ago) I got updated version for free and have to only pick DLC ?
WinterSnowfall: Yes.
Thx.

...and purchased
HunchBluntley: My point was the fact that the new patched, updated version still running in DOS is extremely unusual. I neither said nor implied anything about the quality or quantity of the changes made by this patch. : )
igrok: Yes, few people develop for DOS these days ;) My point is this is million times better than receiving a remake/remaster with modern cheap-looking 3d visuals and completely changed game mechanics. This happens way too often (just recently there was a release of a Rampart clone which looked like a typical mobile game), so I am glad Slitherine went a different way.
Gudadantza: And the official version in the launcher is one version called 1.3.1.01. What has changed in this version? The readme just says "Initial release".
igrok: I think the only difference is the launcher, which allows to switch between the original game, the community-patched version of the game and the DLC, if you own it. Also, I don't think the community-patched version was available before with the old gog installer.
Ok. So both versions are the same, at difference of the installer, at least in windows, and the novelty is the unnoficial patch version to choose from.

I would not call it a new "completely updated" "new visuals" DOS version as GOG claims. It has been confusing a lot of users for a couple of hours.

greetings
Fairfox: i nevah played these sort of games
they make me feel dimbo

doesnt this one have abug or somethang? i googled it an' theres somethang janky? or does this update fix it?
The original version had a fair few bugs, but the fanbase worked on several patches leading up to 1.50 and then 1.51 which was the last public version before the 1.52 update.

The DLC is Caster of Magic a very very good overhaul mod made by one of the 1.50/1 patch devs.
Post edited February 25, 2020 by Lord_Kane
igrok: Yes, few people develop for DOS these days ;) My point is this is million times better than receiving a remake/remaster with modern cheap-looking 3d visuals and completely changed game mechanics. This happens way too often (just recently there was a release of a Rampart clone which looked like a typical mobile game), so I am glad Slitherine went a different way.
Well, you can bet that Slitherine didn't buy the rights to the game and IP just so they could issue a relatively minor free update to the decades-old version. As I said somewhere upthread, believe that they are planning some sort of remake or sequel, and that it will have modern 3D graphics and some new/changed/removed mechanics. But this doesn't necessarily have to be a disaster; I was just checking GOG user reviews of their sequel to Fantasy General a little while ago, and it seems to have been fairly well-received, even by many longtime fans of the original. Of course, "YMMV". But old IPs can be -- and occasionally even are! -- treated respectfully by new owners.
Post edited February 25, 2020 by HunchBluntley
203 MB for the latest version.
I wonder how many floppy disks would you need to store that.
So, this makes NO difference at all when you play on Linux. Hopefully a Linux build is coming later this week.
Post edited February 26, 2020 by Themken
Lone_Scout: 203 MB for the latest version.
I wonder how many floppy disks would you need to store that.
Kinda scary when one thinks about it. My first PC had a 60mb hard drive. There's no way I'd be able to install Master of Magic now :P
And I must upgrade my 486 because The Caster of Magic DLC is making my fans scream.

Seriously Is this mod more CPU hungry running the game under dosbox? I have set it to max limit 100000, by defaulti it is set to 100000 but my laptop is not capable and stutters, "max limit x cycles" makes things better.
But is it needed so many cycles or could I set the game lower? I didnt remember that the game were so stressful to be ran under dosbox.

EDIT: And of course I do not have a 486. It was a joke, of course :)
This is badass. So does this add a true campaign?
ShadowWulfe: This is badass. So does this add a true campaign?
Nop, It is the good old civilization One random map generated style gameplay. No campaign or story addition. The good old way. And it is so hard as it was in the past.
ShadowWulfe: This is badass. So does this add a true campaign?
Gudadantza: Nop, It is the good old civilization One random map generated style gameplay. No campaign or story addition. The good old way. And it is so hard as it was in the past.
And we're still missing the good old Civ1 here. To this day - and despite its age and shortcomings - it still remains my favourite of the "Civs".
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/civilization_1_2
Gudadantza: Nop, It is the good old civilization One random map generated style gameplay. No campaign or story addition. The good old way. And it is so hard as it was in the past.
karnak1: And we're still missing the good old Civ1 here. To this day - and despite its age and shortcomings - it still remains my favourite of the "Civs".
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/civilization_1_2
Civ1, Civ2 and Civ ToT MUST be here. Of course. It is an existencial need :) Where better than in GOG?
It has been mentioned briefly in this thread, but I want to point out that the DLC does not list Linux as a supported operating system:

System:
Windows 8 / 10

So if you are running Linux, this DLC is not for you unless you want to tinker with it yourself. I understand that systems such as Wine exist. Just want to make sure that all of the Linux users are aware.