It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
[This is a sticky post, it will be visible in every single page of this thread. It has been published in October 2020.]

Our moderation team decided not to take a side in the discussion since this giveaway thread was created by the community and, as long as there are no forum rules violated, is up to you, dear Gogers, to decide its fate. We will not set giveaway rules, edit the OP's post, nor lock the whole thread.

However, to make it easier for newcomers to understand the situation (about the OP being inactive and other), I will stick my own post right above the first one.

You are, of course, free to create new threads to start anew and make your own, clear rules. At the same time, please stay reasonable when crating them, as multiple new duplicates might make it even more confusing for many Gogers.

That being said, here you can find a post with dxenija's community poll to have better understanding of the situation: CLICK.

At the time of writing, open giveaway threads are:
- Massive Giveaways Blog (this one)
- Free (temporary) keys giveaway central topic.
- Updated Itch.io giveaways

Be nice to each other *flies away*
Post edited January 15, 2021 by ponczo_
drxenija: 1. Can we count both "Games Only" and "Everything please" as one Yes group?

That would be forming a coalition majority to supersede the No group. However, the two approval groups are actually very different so this is not possible. The following example will demonstrate the contradiction.
Let's say there are two groups of people in line for ice-cream:

The first group says: "I want vanilla flavoured ice-cream only! Nothing else!"
But the second group says: "I want to try all flavours! Just take my money!"
Can the ice-cream parlour serve both groups in exactly the same way? The answer is No.

If both groups are given mint flavoured ice-cream, the second group would be happy but the first group will throw it away in disgust. So it is not possible to combine both groups into one category because they each have different preferences. The second group would also be upset if they do not receive all free postings from itch.io
Umm... sorry, that makes no sense.

Ten people vote on an ice-cream parlour, ok.

4 people say: Not interested in ice-cream, close it! Let's have a hardware store instead.
3 people say: I'm only interested in vanilla, the rest is crap
3 people say: I want all the flavours!

Then the 4 people get their way and are suddenly the majority?
6 people who want ice-cream (although with different tastes) can't have it, because 4 said no?

People do have "second best" choices, you know? I my case it would have been "vanilla only, but if that's not possible, keep all of it".
And I'm very sure that many people who voted All Flavours thought "I want all, but if not possible, at least keep vanilla".
high rated
https://www.epicgames.com/store/ru/product/rogue-company/home

Rogue Company is f2p now + free DLC Tough Enough Primary Wrap
Cavalary: .
I'm with Cavalary on this one. Who gives a damn whether it's from itch.io or not? If it was purchasable before and now free then it gets posted here. Fragmenting it into yet another thread is ridiculous. Furthermore, it's up to the OP or their designated replacement user to dictate what can get posted here.

I don't follow the itch.io freebies, I'm slightly disappointed that most of the freebie drops on the thread turn out to be these, but I recognise that others like the games. Just like the indiegala ones.

@drxenija if you want to stop posting the itch games on this thread that's your prerogative. Run along and start your own thread if you see fit. But don't go about dictating what others can post here in this thread. It's not your place to do so. And remember: all the poll did was collect 90+ unique IPs who said no. It didn't guarantee unique GOG members being counted.
drxenija: Finalizing the community's poll results and decision...

I have read your comments and have considered all suggestions and feedback. Thank you for your input!

Statistics:
- 93 votes for No = 48.4%
- 72 votes for a conditional Yes - Games Only = 37.1%
- 29 votes for unconditional Yes - Wanting all Free Postings = 14.9%

- Over 20 countries have participated in this poll!
- Total of 194 votes in a span of 72 hours - well done guys!
- Results are normally distributed (not skewed, statistically representative, no signs of cheating)
- Protected by IP Duplication Check

Results:
- None of the choices received over 50% votes so there is no absolute majority
- No has the most votes: "No" is 22 votes ahead of "Games only" and 65 votes ahead of "Everything please"

Since none of the choices exceeded 50% in votes, the winner is determined by the most votes.
The community has spoken:
No has received the most votes so No has won!

To address some frequently raised questions and comments, please read the section below.

PLEASE READ THESE BEFORE ASKING FOR ANYTHING.

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Can we count both "Games Only" and "Everything please" as one Yes group?

That would be forming a coalition majority to supersede the No group. However, the two approval groups are actually very different so this is not possible. The following example will demonstrate the contradiction.
Let's say there are two groups of people in line for ice-cream:

The first group says: "I want vanilla flavoured ice-cream only! Nothing else!"
But the second group says: "I want to try all flavours! Just take my money!"
Can the ice-cream parlour serve both groups in exactly the same way? The answer is No.

If both groups are given mint flavoured ice-cream, the second group would be happy but the first group will throw it away in disgust. So it is not possible to combine both groups into one category because they each have different preferences. The second group would also be upset if they do not receive all free postings from itch.io

2. What about people who still want to be notified about itch.io's free postings?

Some comments have already suggested in creating a separate thread for folks who want to receive continuous updates for itch.io free postings and I agree with this. Although we have to respect the group who voted No, everyone else's votes will not be underrepresented.

I have created a thread here, in which I will be posting itch.io free postings daily:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/updated_itchio_giveaways

I will be maintaining the thread daily with new updates. The first post is regularly revised with the complete list.
Everyone who wants to receive itch.io free postings after this development can regularly drop by there.

3. How does this solution satisfy all three groups' demands?

It goes without saying for the No group as they prefer to reduce the notifications here.

For the "Games Only" group, I will be updating the first post regularly in the new itch.io thread and listing all active free postings in their respective categories, namely games, game assets, books etc.
If you want games only, you can regularly check the first post and click the links under "Games" to exclusively add itch.io games without game assets and etc. to your account. This heavily speeds up your process when claiming them and reduces the clutter on your accounts. If you want notifications for every update, you can also subscribe to the new thread. I will post each time I make a revision.

For the "Everything please" group, you can subscribe to the new thread. When there is a new update, I will post the changes, in which you would receive notifications for after subscribing.
Additionally, everything that is temporarily free will also be listed in the main post for you to click away and add them all.
As long as you check regularly, you can grab every itch.io free posting without missing any giveaway!

This is more work on my part because I will be maintaining the thread, the front post and categorizing all the free postings, but I am willing to do so because it will satisfy all three groups and their respective preferences.

4. What if I find a itch.io free posting that I don't see on the main page of the itch.io thread?

Spam and overflowing notifications is the reason why we are here today with this change petition.
Therefore, to reduce cluttering and turning the new thread into another spam storm, it is best to not post in that thread and to reserve posts for notifications whenever I update the list of itch.io postings. This will reduce unnecessary notifications appearing in subscribers' inboxes and will keep the thread clean from off topic posts.

Therefore, please send me a PM if you want to add a listing or if you have other concerns in lieu of posting to reduce spam and redundancy in the itch.io thread!

I also regularly check itch.io postings so not to worry. What is not on there will likely soon appear. However, if you do find a free posting and I have not added it after 24 hours since its promo, you can send me a PM and I will add it to the main list and credit you.

I want to ensure the thread stays clean and fewer false positives notifications appear for those following the thread.

5. What if others continue to post itch.io postings here?

Please direct them to this post and also the first post of this thread. It will be updated shortly to reflect the recent changes from our community's decision.

As per community's decision...
- - - - - - - - - ITCH.IO IS OFFICIALLY BANNED IN THIS THREAD. - - - - - - - - -

Effective immediately.
September 29, 2020
Hi
Your poll has a few problems and i try to go over them.
1- You are not the OP of this thread so literally there is no right for you to un/ban any thing.
2- As for others asking to ban itch[dot]io i only can say you do not have any right to do so, and the reason is there is nothing against itch[dot]io in OP post so why even you asking that?
3- checking 2 thread is a little hassling let alone that become 3 or 4 different thread.
4- people who don't like itch[dot]io games can just scroll past them it is not that much hard to do and the fact itch[dot]io links are really easy to distinguish also adds to the point.
5- your poll was so pointless that i haven't participated in it cause there is no need to do so.
also about that stupid rating thing i shall say i am totally against it.
I didn't participate on the poll, and I don't have complaints with itch posts anyway.
This was only my observation and my personal take.

In my point of view, the problem with itch-related posts occured when drxenija himself/herself, started to bombard the thread with separate posts instead of consolidated one. (I'm aware that the reason behind this was already explained, but the point still stands)

Now in relation to that (and the poll result), the user tries to mend the situation by moving his/her posts to a separate thread. (with the unnecessary remarks of ban and all, but that's not the point here)

So to me this move was more of a reset, back to how the thread usually behaves, with the exception that drxenija most probably won't updating here for itch stuff any longer.
For the rest of the users though, this was still the place for those, especially since the newly created thread is a personal one.
low rated
Now FREE for a limited time

 ▪ Pikuniku: Link

Grab them here until next week.

Other active freebies:
 ▪ Rocket League : Link
 ▪ Heroes and Generals - World War III : Link
 ▪ Path of Exile : Link
Ending tomorrow
 ▪ Borderlands 2 DLC - Commander Lilith : Link

Coming Next Week - ABZU and Rising Storm 2: Vietnam
Post edited October 01, 2020 by drxenija
low rated
I also didn't vote at the poll. But I want to say that I keep reading this thread and it is great!

I agree as close to 100% as it is possible for an individual with this post from (_,_) (butt? booty? rear?)
(_,_): OP doesn't state that it's for computer games only but, "like the ones on GOG, Steam, Origin, Uplay, HumbleBundle, Giveaway of the Day etc." kind of implies it.
Computer games only. Generally.
Exceptions for great stuff, with the addition "OT" for "off topic" in the title to make it absolutely clear, would not harm the thread IMHO.

(_,_): Personally I've never picked up any Itch or Giveaway of the Day games, but I'm fully capable of scrolling past them since I know others like them.
That's the main point. There is now more discussion going on than (temporary) free game mentions. (Including this post, sorry...)

(_,_): I've also picked up some nice ebooks here, which I don't mind, but if they bother others I'm not going to argue.
Exceptions, and I fully agree. If they're not being posted here, I wouldn't even notice. If they are, maybe I'll grab them anyway, or not. As everyone is free to do, or to ignore such off-topic freebies.

(_,_): This is however the only place I learn about mobile game giveaways, and I pick up every one of them if they're ad-free and in-app purchase free, so please keep that up. Moblie games are still computer games.
I couldn't agree more.

(_,_): If anyone else aren't capable of scrolling past the games they don't want, they are free to go start their own thread for "good" games only and see how well that will go.
I couldn't agree more.

Thus, my plea:
* Leave this thread as it is, with the OP implication of computer games only.
* Please ignore OT posts, if they don't violate forum rules and aren't coming too often.
* Please don't downvote posts if instead you should just ignore them. If you need a picture: think of this thread more like a community operated newsticker concerning (temporary) free computer games of all sorts.

Just my 2 cents.
low rated
Thank you for the comments. It is worth noting that the people voted and it was not my own decision to say No to itch.io. I personally voted keeping things status quo. However, as the host of the vote, I will answer some questions:

toxicTom: Umm... sorry, that makes no sense.

Ten people vote on an ice-cream parlour, ok.

4 people say: Not interested in ice-cream, close it! Let's have a hardware store instead.
3 people say: I'm only interested in vanilla, the rest is crap
3 people say: I want all the flavours!
The exact numbers are 93 (48%), 72 (37%) and 29 (15%), in which there were no ties as your example implies nor is the distance one away.

If the number of people who voted "Games Only" was also 93 and matched "No", that would be a no brainer that Games Only would win.

toxicTom: Then the 4 people get their way and are suddenly the majority?
6 people who want ice-cream (although with different tastes) can't have it, because 4 said no?
You are correct that it is not an absolute majority (over 50%)
However, if I am understanding your point correctly, you are trying to say:
"93 people get their way but (72+29) 101 people do not"

Am I correct?

If that is the case, then you have to apply the same logic to each of the options for proper fairness.

Namely:
Scenario A. "93 people get their way but 101 people did not"
Hypothetically,
Scenario B. "72 people get their way, but 122 people did not"
Scenario C: "29 people get their way, but 165 people did not"

It is clear that Scenario A results in the mathematically lowest number of people do not get their way.
Additionally, by keeping the thread in the state it was before, this action supports the most people not getting their way.
In this case, scenario A favours the majority.

I personally chose status quo, so I am fairly upset too just like you but we have to respect the one with most votes. I know how you feel about this, but when we voted, we voiced our opinions and so did the others in the community.

toxicTom: And I'm very sure that many people who voted All Flavours thought "I want all, but if not possible, at least keep vanilla".
Hard to assume. For a fact, there were quite a number of people who PMed me for wanting just games (and were annoyed by assets) and a couple who explicitly told me they want everything. Some even told me they want only assets but that would have spread out the votes even more and made no a bigger majority.

Lazarus_03: In my point of view, the problem with itch-related posts occured when drxenija himself/herself, started to bombard the thread with separate posts instead of consolidated one.
It is worth noting that itch giveaways have a much higher frequency than any other site. Worse of all, each giveaway has a separate deadline. Posting a consolidated post is impossible as they are on promo at different times and expire at different times. The posting frequency only matched the same frequency as developers made their content free.

Additionally, other people were also posting itch giveaways along side with one or two links. It is because of this dilemma.

I would post it neatly like this example if it was possible, but giveways were not released at the same time anymore, so it is not

However, this issue can be solved by having a mega thread for itch.io and updating the main list constantly instead of posting a comment for each giveaway. This makes it much neater and reduces spam drastically for all the other threads.

Lazarus_03: the user tries to mend the situation by moving his/her posts to a separate thread. (with the unnecessary remarks of ban and all, but that's not the point here)
The poll was made with the clear purpose of resolving conflict in mind.
We could simply continue bickering about itch.io as many have already voiced their discontent or to take action and reach a decision. No one took action so therefore, I took the initiative to make a poll instead of everyone taking shots at one another. When it was made, people voted and hence agrees with the decision to use the poll.

Other comments have suggested a separate thread, and I believe it would be the best option to keep track of rapid itch.io giveaways and changes without creating a mess and reduces a mess here.

No one paid me to do this and neither do I receive any benefit from this.
In fact, the forum's outdated formatting makes it difficult to continuously editing and updating posts.
However, I offered to take up the flag and to take up what others have suggested to reach a satisfying outcome for everyone because I personally love itch.io giveaways anyway.

5 itch.io giveaways in a day? Update it in the main list. Much more organized and neat.
People who voted No get less notifications from this thread. People who wanted itch.io giveaways, get an even cleaner and neater version with everything categorized. It is a win win situation

As mentioned, itch.io giveaways have a much higher frequency than any other site and would overwhelm any other posts.
Maintaining a separate thread is the better solution suggested by others. It results in a cleaner forum in general and an organized all in one list for itch.io lovers.

GOG is like my home, so I'm willing to do more work as some housekeeping to make our home tidy and more pleasant for everyone to live in, so i offered to do it. So our threads are tidier and more organized.

As this thread is for giveaways, if anyone has further inquiries, you are welcome to PM me.
Thank you for the responses and I hope I answered your questions.
Stay safe everyone!
Post edited October 01, 2020 by drxenija
I'd like to ask for a favor from the fantastic people who point out where to get free games: It's basically the same as my proposal in the other threat (temporary keys). Please post the name of the website/store where the free games are hosted (in capital letters at the top of your post, or whatever/however you prefer).
People who use Galaxy can't see the website under the link with a 'mouse over' as people using a browser can.
And not everyone has an account everywhere, so we can sort out games by the site they are hosted on.
I assume this may make it easier for the people who post those games, too. It may simplify the search if the game you want to post is already posted (especially if it's more than one game from the same site).

Thanks.

Edit: some details added.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by MightyFloTheKing
drxenija:
Mate, you kinda missed something obvious:

-> You had an open vote which counted unique IPs. On an open thread in an open forum able to be read by people who aren't members here.

So in reality you just opened this vote to people who aren't even members here, who might hate itch.io entries. The vote was also open to people forcing IP resets and ballot-stuffing in their favour. And not everyone voted. Just more likely those who hated itch.io. It wasn't a grand representative sample by your numbers.

But of course, your choice. I won't be bookmaking your new thread because I've already got too many threads on watch (and personally I don't nab itch freebies).
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Braggadar
low rated
drxenija:
Braggadar: Mate, you kinda missed something obvious:

-> You had an open vote which counted unique IPs. On an open thread in an open forum able to be read by people who aren't members here.

So in reality you just opened this vote to people who aren't even members here, who might hate itch.io entries. The vote was also open to people forcing IP resets and ballot-stuffing in their favour. And not everyone voted. Just more likely those who hated itch.io. It wasn't a grand representative sample by your numbers.

But of course, your choice. I won't be bookmaking your new thread because I've already got too many threads on watch (and personally I don't nab itch freebies).
Dude, EVERY argument you brought applies in equal measure to any other option in the poll. You just don't accept his choice because you don't agree with the outcome, but your logic to not accept the poll result makes far less sense.

I'll take the downvotes, bring it.
twifight: Dude, EVERY argument you brought applies in equal measure to any other option in the poll. You just don't accept his choice because you don't agree with the outcome, but your logic to not accept the poll result makes far less sense.
What I'm saying is the poll itself is inherently flawed, making it a poor reason behind moving legitimate freebie posts to yet another thread. Ultimately it doesn't bother me that drxenija himself is moving his own personal posts (beyond thread fragmentation/duplication). What did bother me is flawed poll somehow by magic dictates that no-one should in the future post itch.io announcements here in this one.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Braggadar
low rated
Lazarus_03: In my point of view, the problem with itch-related posts occured when drxenija himself/herself, started to bombard the thread with separate posts instead of consolidated one.
drxenija: It is worth noting that itch giveaways have a much higher frequency than any other site. Worse of all, each giveaway has a separate deadline. Posting a consolidated post is impossible as they are on promo at different times and expire at different times. The posting frequency only matched the same frequency as developers made their content free. […]
Yes, I'm well aware of that and made a note of it as part of the whole statement:
Lazarus_03: In my point of view, the problem with itch-related posts occured when drxenija himself/herself, started to bombard the thread with separate posts instead of consolidated one. (I'm aware that the reason behind this was already explained, but the point still stands)
But like I said, despite the reasoning, it doesn't change the fact that sending those posts in streams makes them messy and problematic.

┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄
drxenija: However, this issue can be solved by having a mega thread for itch.io and updating the main list constantly instead of posting a comment for each giveaway. This makes it much neater and reduces spam drastically for all the other threads.

Lazarus_03: the user tries to mend the situation by moving his/her posts to a separate thread. (with the unnecessary remarks of ban and all, but that's not the point here)
drxenija: The poll was made with the clear purpose of resolving conflict in mind.
We could simply continue bickering about itch.io as many have already voiced their discontent or to take action and reach a decision. No one took action so therefore, I took the initiative to make a poll instead of everyone taking shots at one another.
I get all of the above. That's why I implied your next action was in attempt to fix the situation.

Look, if I didn't make myself clear on my previous post, I'm actually in support of what you've done — minus the remarks of banning and the tone of how you announced it here.
But overall, I appreciate the efforts and I love it when things are neat and organized.
So thanks for taking the initiative.
low rated
Andtha: I also didn't vote at the poll. But I want to say that I keep reading this thread and it is great!

I agree as close to 100% as it is possible for an individual with this post from (_,_) (butt? booty? rear?)
(_,_): OP doesn't state that it's for computer games only but, "like the ones on GOG, Steam, Origin, Uplay, HumbleBundle, Giveaway of the Day etc." kind of implies it.
Andtha: Computer games only. Generally.
Exceptions for great stuff, with the addition "OT" for "off topic" in the title to make it absolutely clear, would not harm the thread IMHO.

(_,_): Personally I've never picked up any Itch or Giveaway of the Day games, but I'm fully capable of scrolling past them since I know others like them.
Andtha: That's the main point. There is now more discussion going on than (temporary) free game mentions. (Including this post, sorry...)

(_,_): I've also picked up some nice ebooks here, which I don't mind, but if they bother others I'm not going to argue.
Andtha: Exceptions, and I fully agree. If they're not being posted here, I wouldn't even notice. If they are, maybe I'll grab them anyway, or not. As everyone is free to do, or to ignore such off-topic freebies.

(_,_): This is however the only place I learn about mobile game giveaways, and I pick up every one of them if they're ad-free and in-app purchase free, so please keep that up. Moblie games are still computer games.
Andtha: I couldn't agree more.

(_,_): If anyone else aren't capable of scrolling past the games they don't want, they are free to go start their own thread for "good" games only and see how well that will go.
Andtha: I couldn't agree more.

Thus, my plea:
* Leave this thread as it is, with the OP implication of computer games only.
* Please ignore OT posts, if they don't violate forum rules and aren't coming too often.
* Please don't downvote posts if instead you should just ignore them. If you need a picture: think of this thread more like a community operated newsticker concerning (temporary) free computer games of all sorts.

Just my 2 cents.
computer games only?
u mean no console/mobile games
tbh most console games are high quality and some free mobile games are worth picking up