It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Just want to say thank you and that this search engine has been very useful!

I run a search every now and then to show the biggest discounts, and usually buy a few games :)
high rated
PhilsComputerLab: Just want to say thank you and that this search engine has been very useful!

I run a search every now and then to show the biggest discounts, and usually buy a few games :)
Thank you. It's always nice to hear that one's efforts have borne fruit.
Hello, thanks for creating magog.

Is there a way to list only games I do not own? I confess only skimming the tutorial and do not want to go to the trouble of uploading my library and experiment if that feature is not present. I find it weird that such a feature is not present in the official store.

I don't want to inconvenience you so if it can be done then just say yes and I'll figure it out myself.
high rated
justanoldgamer: Is there a way to list only games I do not own? I confess only skimming the tutorial and do not want to go to the trouble of uploading my library and experiment if that feature is not present. I find it weird that such a feature is not present in the official store.
Use the "Get from Gog" feature, it's super convenient and easy!
It will mark all your current owned+wishlisted games automatically.
Then you just have to use the search filter "My Tags" -> "none of"-> "Owned"
Post edited May 21, 2017 by phaolo
justanoldgamer: Is there a way to list only games I do not own? I confess only skimming the tutorial and do not want to go to the trouble of uploading my library and experiment if that feature is not present. I find it weird that such a feature is not present in the official store.
phaolo: Use the "Get from Gog" feature, it's super convenient and easy!
It will mark all your current owned+wishlisted games automatically.
Then you just have to use the search filter "My Tags" -> "none of"-> "Owned"
Thank you.
high rated
phaolo:
Thanks. +1.
Post edited May 21, 2017 by mrkgnao
high rated
Heads up!

Today, 24 May 2017, three years (minus three days) after its release, MaGog is changing. It is moving into what I have termed "Legacy Mode".

In this mode:
- Any game added to GOG on or after 24 May 2017 will be ignored by MaGog
- Automatic exceptions will be made for new DLCs of existing (pre-legacy) games, under the policy that a DLC is a part of the base game
- Everything else remains the same (i.e. tracking and updating of existing games continues as normal)

The implications on other threads (where muntdefems has been diligently reporting MaGog's findings) should be pretty obvious:
1) The "what did just update?" thread will suffer a partial blow: any updates made to games added on or after 24/5/17 will not be detected by MaGog (i.e. people will have to depend on GOG's notifications); any updates made to games added before 24/5/17 should continue as usual
2) The "Good News: Price Updates" thread will likely suffer a mortal blow (unless someone finds an alternative way of recording regional prices).

It'll probably take me a day or so to fully move MaGog into this mode, but its effects --- bugs notwithstanding --- should be visible as early as the next update.

As to the why, in case it is not obvious: MaGog refuses to support a store that offers games with in-game purchasing (i.e. Gwent), and so do I.
Post edited August 08, 2017 by mrkgnao
high rated
mrkgnao: ...
Oh my.

Well, I guess it was just a matter of time that you threw the towel (or rather, that GOG made you throw it). Today's a sad day for GOG and its community.

Thank you for all your enormous work, and for keeping MaGog in a semi-vegetative state. :)

PS: As for myself, I'll keep posting every update MaGog still detects in the "What did just update?" post... for the time being.
high rated
mrkgnao: Heads up!

Today, 24 May 2017, three years (minus three days) after its release, MaGog is changing. It is moving into what I have termed "Legacy Mode".

In this mode:
- Any game added to GOG on or after 24 May 2017 will be ignored by MaGog
- Automatic exceptions will be made for new DLCs of existing (pre-legacy) games, under the policy that a DLC is a part of the base game

The implications on other threads (where muntdefems has been diligently reporting MaGog's findings) should be pretty obvious:
1) The "what did just update?" thread will suffer a partial blow: any updates made to games added on or after 24/5/17 will not be detected by MaGog (i.e. people will have to depend on GOG's notifications); any updates made to games added before 24/5/17 should continue as usual
2) The "Good News: Price Updates" thread will likely suffer a mortal blow (unless someone finds an alternative way of recording regional prices).

It'll probably take me a day or so to fully move MaGog into this mode, but its effects --- bugs notwithstanding --- should be visible as early as the next update.

As to the why, in case it is not obvious: MaGog refuses to support a store that offers games with in-game purchasing (and so do I).
That's pretty bad news for all of us... :(

For me MaGog never was a tool that supported a store, but a tool that supported the users of a store that was awful at providing useful tools and features itself. Will be hard to keep track of updates and regional prices without Magog's help.

But anyway, thank you for the work you did during the last three years!
Post edited May 24, 2017 by PaterAlf
high rated
mrkgnao: As to the why, in case it is not obvious: MaGog refuses to support a store that offers games with in-game purchasing (and so do I).
I can't blame you but it will be a shame to lose that information and resource.
I may have to start scraping my own data for some of the elements my script uses...

Thanks for all the work you've done supporting and maintaining MaGog over the years.
high rated
First: Thank you mrkgnao that you helped the community here so long even after your quitting the forum (which I still do regret immensely). All your help is and was greatly appreciated and of course we all (myself included) do respect your decision since it's only yours to make.

However I have some thoughts: By reporting those updates to MaGog you were always helping the GOG community and not GOG itself (as far as I understand) so would this choice really affect GOG itself or rather the community? To rephrase this: will GOG get fewer customers just because not all updates are reported? I highly doubt this. GOG is promoting Galaxy as we all know and since their update flags never really worked and they also left the completely broken notification system this way for weeks now (with no ETA when this even might be fixed) I would say that they could not care less. However the community still does. So imo this will only lead to the fact that community members will not realize that several games have updated therefore their archives won't be up to date any more. No problem for Galaxy users here. As I said - GOG could not care less as long those customers won't quit the platform completely which I doubt will happen. Of course these are pure subjective speculations on my side (based on my own feelings and thoughts) and I might be completely wrong here.

But again: I still totally accept your decision and thank you for all you've done.
high rated
mrkgnao: ...
This is sad, but of course I understand your choice.
I want to thank you a lot again for your work, and for maintaining MaGog after your departure from the forum. Thank you very much ! That was really generous and kind for the community.
high rated
MarkoH01: First: Thank you mrkgnao that you helped the community here so long even after your quitting the forum (which I still do regret immensely). All your help is and was greatly appreciated and of course we all (myself included) do respect your decision since it's only yours to make.
Thank you.

MarkoH01: However I have some thoughts: By reporting those updates to MaGog you were always helping the GOG community and not GOG itself (as far as I understand) so would this choice really affect GOG itself or rather the community? To rephrase this: will GOG get fewer customers just because not all updates are reported? I highly doubt this. GOG is promoting Galaxy as we all know and since their update flags never really worked and they also left the completely broken notification system this way for weeks now (with no ETA when this even might be fixed) I would say that they could not care less. However the community still does. So imo this will only lead to the fact that community members will not realize that several games have updated therefore their archives won't be up to date any more. No problem for Galaxy users here. As I said - GOG could not care less as long those customers won't quit the platform completely which I doubt will happen. Of course these are pure subjective speculations on my side (based on my own feelings and thoughts) and I might be completely wrong here.
To answer you (and others), here are my thoughts:
1) I agree that one of the major functions of MaGog is to detect updates to offline installers. Which is why MaGog will continue doing that as before. The only difference is that she will be doing it only for games added to GOG before 24/5/17. Anybody, like me, who does not plan to buy any games added to GOG on or after 24/5/17 will not be affected by the mode change in any way.

2) But MaGog is not only an alternative notification system. It is also an online search engine. And past statistics show that the search engine is being used much more during large GOG sales. On regular days, MaGog gets about 100 hits a day; during large sales, the number jumps up to more than 300 hits a day. Which leads me to believe that people use it to make purchase decisions. Again, pre-24/5/17 games will continue to contain up to date information, but newer games will be missing, making buying new ones ever so slightly less convenient.

3) One of the major domains that uses MaGog regularly is gog.com. This means that GOG employees seem to use MaGog as an alternative search engine for their own games more or less on a daily basis. The mode change will likely affect them too, as MaGog will no longer be "complete".

4) I don't delude myself that this change will have any noticeable effect on GOG's bottom line. But perhaps it might cause one person to rethink their relationship with GOG and perhaps it might cause one person not to buy one post-24/5/17 game from GOG. Which is enough of a "symbolic rebellion" for me.
Post edited May 24, 2017 by mrkgnao
mrkgnao: snip
Thank you for the detailed information. With this I do understand your decision much better even though I am (of course) still sad about it.
mrkgnao: [..] - Any game added to GOG on or after 24 May 2017 will be ignored by MaGog
[..] MaGog refuses to support a store that offers games with in-game purchasing (and so do I).
Oh great.. another "Good News" -_-
I understand your reasoning, but.. GOG won't even notice this change and only us Magog users will be all affected by this. : (

mrkgnao: 3) [..] GOG employees seem to use MaGog as an alternative search engine [..]
4) [..] "symbolic rebellion" for me.
3) Oh lol.. even Gog itself prefers Magog.
4) ok.. (sigh)
Post edited May 24, 2017 by phaolo