It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
mrkgnao:
Nice to see you again here!
Unfortunately the reason for that is a bad choice (another one) from the GOG side.

In the past there were surveys for things like online only games and in-game transactions. Such things have never approved by the community here and I doubt they could ever be approved, since they are breaking the DRM-free principle.

Since the announcement about Galaxy inclusion into offline installers I've kept a wait and see -neutral- stance, but it seems the situation is getting worse.

I totally understand your stance.
Thank you for helping the community all these years.
high rated
vanchann: Since the announcement about Galaxy inclusion into offline installers I've kept a wait and see -neutral- stance, but it seems the situation is getting worse.
Just to let people know. The situation at the moment is discussed quite a lot in the newsthread for GWENT. Just in case people want to add their 2 cts. as an addition to mrkgnao's symbollic rebellion.
high rated
MaGog is now in legacy mode.

I had to make decisions about two groups of items already in MaGog's database:
1) Upcoming games: I deleted these from MaGog's database as they surely will be released after 24/5/17. There were 22 such games,
2) In Dev games: Even though I don't really consider these as released, I decided to leave them be.
high rated
mrkgnao:
Sad, sad news. Understandable decision though, there was bound to come a day when something will be the last straw for MaGOG as well, as GOG policies sure kept unrelentingly (bar a few claims to the contrary that were at most slight delays) heading in the wrong direction ever since the original "good news".
Thank you for all the work and dedication.

As for the regional pricing, which was my main interest (read concern, annoyance, and worse things) here, guess that from now on I'll just assume all newly added games are regionally priced with prices above base somewhere unless proven otherwise.
mrkgnao: As to the why, in case it is not obvious: MaGog refuses to support a store that offers games with in-game purchasing (and so do I).
I understand and agree, thanks for your work.
I have already shifted my purchasing focus away from GOG again due to such things happening here.

mrkgnao: 3) One of the major domains that uses MaGog regularly is gog.com. This means that GOG employees seem to use MaGog as an alternative search engine for their own games more or less on a daily basis. The mode change will likely affect them too, as MaGog will no longer be "complete".
That is saying a lot...
Post edited May 25, 2017 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: I have already shifted my purchasing focus away from GOG again due to such things happening here.
I'll probably do likewise for the most part, but, given that GOG is becoming "the best of a bunch of bad options", I'll probably shift my purchasing focus toward collecting more sci-fi novels and more eBay'd cartridges for my Retrode.

(Bearing in mind that, until now, I'd sort of being hoping to eventually collect every game offered by GOG during the interval in which I've had an account.)
Post edited May 25, 2017 by ssokolow
Klumpen0815: I have already shifted my purchasing focus away from GOG again due to such things happening here.
ssokolow: I'll probably do likewise for the most part, but, given that GOG is becoming "the best of a bunch of bad options", I'll probably shift my purchasing focus toward collecting more sci-fi novels and more eBay'd cartridges for my Retrode.
Same here, I'm rarely buying any game anymore, the last two were the Addon for Towerfall on HB (cheaper than on GOG and I already had the base game from a bundle, comes with a Steam key as well for whoever cares) and the Humble Indie Bundle 18 which was kinda glorious.

ssokolow: Bearing in mind that, until now, I'd sort of being hoping to eventually collect every game offered by GOG during the interval in which I've had an account.
That stopped for me when regional pricing and dropped XP support for some old games became a thing but by now I rarely buy Windows only games anymore at all, just really old stuff that probably runs via WINE anyway.
I refuse to buy DosBox and ScummVM games without a Linux package out of principle too not "although" but precisely because it is a matter of seconds to make a Linux package (I know that the problem here are probably the publishers, same result though).
mrkgnao: As to the why, in case it is not obvious: MaGog refuses to support a store that offers games with in-game purchasing (and so do I).
I want to know that game's name :)
high rated
Skysect: I want to know that game's name :)
https://www.gog.com/game/gwent_the_witcher_card_game

Of course something from CDP itself.
Post edited May 25, 2017 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: https://www.gog.com/game/gwent_the_witcher_card_game

Wow , I didn't expect that :S I checked it and really it offers microtransactions . Then of one the last core principles is gone now :/ What is left ?

Skysect: Wow , I didn't expect that :S I checked it and really it offers microtransactions . Then of one the last core principles is gone now :/ What is left ?
I think the headquarters are still in Warsow and not yet in San Francisco.
http://gamejobhunter.com/blog/local-video-game-companies-san-francisco-bay-area/
That's about it.

But it's a online game. Servers cost money.
How are they going to upkeep the server costs if there is no in-game shop?
high rated

cemacar: But it's a online game. Servers cost money.
How are they going to upkeep the server costs if there is no in-game shop?
By charging money upfront and removing the DRM like an honest company (especially one advertising with DRM-free) would do?
Of course the shareholders knew that F2P makes more money.
high rated
muntdefems: PS: As for myself, I'll keep posting every update MaGog still detects in the "What did just update?" post... for the time being.
Let me know if you need any help with that. I have a working system for picking up the updates as well (entirely API based), though nowhere near as complex or well implemented as MaGog is. It could be a viable alternative for detecting changes to the new entries at least, as a sort of delta for what the "legacy" MaGog will detect from now on.

I don't think I'll have the time to run it daily, but I'll share my scripts with you if you're willing and able to spend the time to do it.

As to whether or not I'll buy any games on GOG from now on, that remains to be seen. I can at least say I've become a lot more reluctant to spend my money here lately or work on any of my GOG API scripts, so my heart goes out to all the "nay sayers" and "technical-savvy users" on the GOG forums that are in the same spot or worse, including mrkgnao.
Post edited May 25, 2017 by WinterSnowfall
high rated
WinterSnowfall: Let me know if you need any help with that. I have a working system for picking up the updates as well (entirely API based), though nowhere near as complex or well implemented as MaGog is. It could be a viable alternative for detecting changes to the new entries at least, as a sort of delta for what the "legacy" MaGog will detect from now on.

I don't think I'll have the time to run it daily, but I'll share my scripts with you if you're willing and able to spend the time to do it.
That would be really nice and appreciated, since I've got next to no idea about GOG's APIs in particular, and net code in general. Are your scripts hosted on Github/Bitbucket or similar? Alternatively I can give you my email address via chat so you can send them to me. :)