It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
muntdefems: That would be really nice and appreciated, since I've got next to no idea about GOG's APIs in particular, and net code in general. Are your scripts hosted on Github/Bitbucket or similar? Alternatively I can give you my email address via chat so you can send them to me. :)
I'm not hosting them anywhere at the moment, but drop me your email on chat and I'll take it from there. I probably need to put together a sort of a short usage guide for you, and since I'm short on time at the moment it may take a while.

I'll have a look over your update posts every now and then and add anything that's missing until we get you to a point where you can run them yourself ;).
Post edited May 27, 2017 by WinterSnowfall
Alrerady upvoted but I want to say this directly as well:

Two thumbs up for muntdefems and WinterSnowfall! Thank you both so very much.
high rated
mrkgnao: Heads up!

Today, 24 May 2017, three years (minus three days) after its release, MaGog is changing. It is moving into what I have termed "Legacy Mode".

[...]

As to the why, in case it is not obvious: MaGog refuses to support a store that offers games with in-game purchasing (and so do I).
mrkgnao: [...]

4) I don't delude myself that this change will have any noticeable effect on GOG's bottom line. But perhaps it might cause one person to rethink their relationship with GOG and perhaps it might cause one person not to buy one post-24/5/17 game from GOG. Which is enough of a "symbolic rebellion" for me.
Early Happy Birthday, sweet lady.

I was wondering how long it'd take, and what would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Not only can't I say I"m surprised it's the in-game purchasing, but I can get fully behind it; this place sure isn't what it used to be, and the signs for the future are far from encouraging.

Thank you for the great service you've provided to the community all this time, and will still provide in legacy mode. Above everything, thank you for being you; you are missed a ton every day.
That's a very sad day for the community here. But I fully understand your decision. Seeing how GOG continuously gets worse and how they betray their roots and base principles it only has been a question of time. I haven't used MaGog's web interface too often, mostly during sales, but I have used MaGog's data a lot locally to get the information I want. Thank you so much for all your work over the last years!

mrkgnao: 3) One of the major domains that uses MaGog regularly is gog.com. This means that GOG employees seem to use MaGog as an alternative search engine for their own games more or less on a daily basis. The mode change will likely affect them too, as MaGog will no longer be "complete".
That's quite interesting. But I cannot say it surprises me much, seeing how bad GOG's own search is.
WinterSnowfall: I have a working system for picking up the updates as well (entirely API based), though nowhere near as complex or well implemented as MaGog is.
Is there any documentation available for that API? Or at least some description how to access it?
WinterSnowfall: I have a working system for picking up the updates as well (entirely API based), though nowhere near as complex or well implemented as MaGog is.
eiii: Is there any documentation available for that API? Or at least some description how to access it?
Check this.
eiii: Is there any documentation available for that API? Or at least some description how to access it?
vanchann: Check this.
Thank you!
Perfect.. Magog stops updating and then GoG releases various great classics.. -_-
high rated
GOG. GOG never changes.

Some of you old timers (if there are any left...), who have been around when GOG reached 1,000 catalogue items, may remember that GOG had a serious bug back then that lasted for weeks, whereby despite having more than 1,000 games, the catalogue was unable to display more than 20 pages (i.e. was limited to displaying only 1,000 games). That bug was called the "Y1K" bug.

Well, guess what? GOG now has a "Y2K" bug. Now that GOG has 2,001 games, one would expect page 41 of the catalogue to have one game in it. But, no, the page is empty. It seems GOG is now limited to 40 catalogue pages.

Luckily, I kept the temporary workaround I used for the Y1K bug in MaGog's code. I reactivated it just now and updated the code to adjust for changes that GOG had made over the years. It seems to work, but it's temporary (should be ok for a few weeks) and it has some minor side-effects.

Someone might want to tell GOG...
Post edited June 01, 2017 by mrkgnao
I don't use gog page that much anymore so I only noticed today that magog was shutdown. As such I would like to thank Mrkgnao for the great work it did with magog. I mainly used it for pricing but it was very helpfull. I understand the reasons for it. Microtransactions are no go for me in any game. Hence I don't own such games so I understand why this decision happened.

Thank you again!
high rated
mrkgnao:
Thanks again,
we are still quite a few old timers, at least in the forum.

The bug is revealing the sad truth this time!
There are not 2001 DRM-free games on GOG. Games like Gremlins Inc. and Gwent should not count!
mrkgnao:
vanchann: Thanks again,
we are still quite a few old timers, at least in the forum.

The bug is revealing the sad truth this time!
There are not 2001 DRM-free games on GOG. Games like Gremlins Inc. and Gwent should not count!
Sad but true
high rated
@mrkgnao
Thanks for your work the 3 years and thanks for your consistent decision. I understand your reasons totally.

PaterAlf: For me MaGog never was a tool that supported a store, but a tool that supported the users of a store that was awful at providing useful tools and features itself. Will be hard to keep track of updates and regional prices without Magog's help.
It supports the users which support the store by buying games. So MaGog supports GOG via the users. Mrkgnaos decision makes sense.
mrkgnao: Some of you old timers (if there are any left...), who have been around when GOG reached 1,000 catalogue items, may remember that GOG had a serious bug back then that lasted for weeks, whereby despite having more than 1,000 games, the catalogue was unable to display more than 20 pages (i.e. was limited to displaying only 1,000 games). That bug was called the "Y1K" bug.
Interesting they already had that bug with 1000 games. Time for them to "postpone" it to 3000 now, I guess.. :P

mrkgnao: Luckily, I kept the temporary workaround I used for the Y1K bug in MaGog's code. I reactivated it just now and updated the code to adjust for changes that GOG had made over the years. It seems to work, but it's temporary (should be ok for a few weeks) and it has some minor side-effects.
What's your workaround? Do you request the games sorted by "release_desc", then by "release_asc" (for which only the first page is needed by now) and combine the results? What are the "minor side-effects"? Besides the additional page request I do not see any so far.

mrkgnao: Someone might want to tell GOG...
Done.
Post edited June 06, 2017 by eiii
high rated
eiii: What's your workaround? Do you request the games sorted by "release_desc", then by "release_asc" (for which only the first page is needed by now) and combine the results? What are the "minor side-effects"? Besides the additional page request I do not see any so far.
The release_asc/_desc sorts were not available back then, when the Y1K bug was in effect, so what I did then (and what I'm now doing again) is instead of getting the entire catalogue as one entity, I get it in five separate queries based on the release filter (pre-2000, 2000-2004, 2005-2009, 2010-2014, after 2014 (note: GOG calls it "after 2015", but it's actually "after 2014")) and combine them into one list.

The side effects are:
1) As you mention, additional page requests (not much of an issue)
2) While this bug is in effect, MaGog has no way of determining the "bestselling rank" of the games on page 41+ (also not that big a deal)

mrkgnao: Someone might want to tell GOG...
eiii: Done.
Assuming they read that thread...
Post edited June 06, 2017 by mrkgnao