It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

KingofGnG: Heh. There's a cracked version on KickassTorrents for that.
There is literally for everything a cracked version on some website...
I don't think that advertising torrents is something one should do and it isn't surprising that Go! Go! Nippon! has Steam as DRM as the version from the distributor's own website also has some sort of DRM, so yeah, I just wanted to provide some information.

Emob78: snip.
I never said you are ;). As you started the debate, I feel so free to join:

I can't deny the big influence Steam nowadays has and that it maybe could have been stopped, but Steam isn't the incarnation of the devil. Sure, network dependence is the biggest flaw but there is also the offline mode if you don't like it. Auto patching can be disabled, etc etc etc, but the game license policies are much worse, why didn't you add this point? On the other site it's some kind of standard now for using software.

Steam won't alter the structure of the games in a way you predict. They are altering many games over the last time and mainly because they include all nedded libraries inside of the game folders so that the game will run on nearly every system as it is somewhat autarkic. And even if Valve would concentrate on their console, I would be happy, because it's a damn Debian and will ever be a Debian, so there is Linux support and I'm happy with that. If they really would do that, they would lose too much money. Or in the worst case scenario, Steam would cease to exist. I'm sure that Valve or the developers of the single games would make patches to disable the Steam API.

You don't have to be so cynic, sales are a good thing for the customers and for the publishers/developers. I can recommend this as literature, it's informative and written by the developer of Defender's Quest. GOG also does make sales and that's a good thing.

In fact, Steam is getting more liberal in things of DRM and makes huge progress in Linux gaming and therefore cross platform gaming. And with the huge userbase of Steam they can hopefully break the reign of Windows and it's outdated proprietary directX. I personally don't like Steam, but the Linux part overweights the flaws a lot. I mean, not even GOG offers Linux versions (and has way harder criteria for adding new games), it's a real shame.

I think that's why we all are here, fighting against DRM.
Kick-aha: That is ethical correct but sadly still against law. I don't want to argue about it, but this thread should be a place where you share information about games that don't require any cracks for people who don't like downloading illegal stuff.

Don't judge us :). I would have reacted the same way as Wafflecones, btw.
I don't know where you tried to offer your contributions and if people always ignored you but if you are interested, people really like to talk in this thread about Steam and it's DRM (except the occasional guys damning/ignoring Steam or copyright in general). Just don't start a debate whether this list is useful or not 'cause you could get it with a simple crack from the interwebs ;). Oh, and it's hard to differ between real sarcasm and trolling these days on the web, just keep in mind.
Emob78: Oh, I'm no troll. I'm mature enough to admit that my side has lost the debate. If we anti-Steam crusaders had been more effective in our arguments, then perhaps Steam would not now be controlling 80% of PC game distribution.

I've warned gamers about the risks that Steam presents. Hacking, spying, network dependence, forceful auto patching, invasive and questionable privacy policies... etc etc etc... and few listened. A few more years and Steam will BE PC gaming. But I'm a free marketer, if that's what the customers want, then that's what they'll get.

But when the day comes and Steam drastically alters their file structure so that old games no longer work, when they abandon PC gaming altogether in exchange for their new pretty console, when their network collapses in some global hacking event, then millions of gamers will cry out in terror... and the cautionary tale will have played itself out yet again. But in the meantime, enjoy your Steam sales, buddy lists, and easy access online game shop.

I don't have a problem with Steam existing as a PC game distributor, I just don't want it to become the only PC game distributor. And that's why I'm here at GOG. Helping fight the good fight.
it is more that your "sarcastic" post just do not make any sense.

"it is like a fat lady on a diet"

what does it mean really? Fat ladies dont goes on a diet? Diets are useless for fat ladies? Fat ladies should not go on a diet? Fat ladies should go on a diet?

If the meaning is that "fat ladies do not go on diet" it is both insulting towards overweight women, and factually wrong as you can download DRM free games on Steam. So in my eyes, that awareness rising sarcastic post, just managed to show you as not know what you talk about and insulting a group of people at the same time. And dont worry - the anti-steam crusaders are very vocal, I just wish they sometimes made more sense,
Emob78: Oh, I'm no troll. I'm mature enough to admit that my side has lost the debate. If we anti-Steam crusaders had been more effective in our arguments, then perhaps Steam would not now be controlling 80% of PC game distribution.

I've warned gamers about the risks that Steam presents. Hacking, spying, network dependence, forceful auto patching, invasive and questionable privacy policies... etc etc etc... and few listened. A few more years and Steam will BE PC gaming. But I'm a free marketer, if that's what the customers want, then that's what they'll get.

But when the day comes and Steam drastically alters their file structure so that old games no longer work, when they abandon PC gaming altogether in exchange for their new pretty console, when their network collapses in some global hacking event, then millions of gamers will cry out in terror... and the cautionary tale will have played itself out yet again. But in the meantime, enjoy your Steam sales, buddy lists, and easy access online game shop.

I don't have a problem with Steam existing as a PC game distributor, I just don't want it to become the only PC game distributor. And that's why I'm here at GOG. Helping fight the good fight.
amok: it is more that your "sarcastic" post just do not make any sense.

what does it mean really? Fat ladies dont goes on a diet? Diets are useless for fat ladies? Fat ladies should not go on a diet? Fat ladies should go on a diet?

If the meaning is that "fat ladies do not go on diet" it is both insulting towards overweight women, and factually wrong as you can download DRM free games on Steam. So in my eyes, that awareness rising sarcastic post, just managed to show you as not know what you talk about and insulting a group of people at the same time. And dont worry - the anti-steam crusaders are very vocal, I just wish they sometimes made more sense,
They are an oxy moron... typically a figure of speech of word phrase that has contradictory definitions.

When I say 'fat and ladies and diets', they usually mean different terms. A fat women wouldn't really be a fat woman if she were to say... go on a diet. It's meant as a metaphor. By that same token, the term 'DRM-free' and 'Steam' can have similar differences, depending on your point of view. The oxy moron definition of two opposing phrases or words still holds to me with the terms 'DRM-free' and 'Steam', since to me Steam IS DRM.

Wow. I've never had someone be both insulted at something I said, while at the same not understanding what was said in its context. Confused AND angry. That just about sums up internet communication.
amok: it is more that your "sarcastic" post just do not make any sense.

Emob78: They are an oxy moron... typically a figure of speech of word phrase that has contradictory definitions.

When I say 'fat and ladies and diets', they usually mean different terms. A fat women wouldn't really be a fat woman if she were to say... go on a diet. It's meant as a metaphor. By that same token, the term 'DRM-free' and 'Steam' can have similar differences, depending on your point of view. The oxy moron definition of two opposing phrases or words still holds to me with the terms 'DRM-free' and 'Steam', since to me Steam IS DRM.

Wow. I've never had someone be both insulted at something I said, while at the same not understanding what was said in its context. Confused AND angry. That just about sums up internet communication.
more like confused and pointless...

it is not a good oxymoron, as you are implying that "fat ladies" can not diet... so yeah, I though your "sarcastic" comment just showed a complete lack of understanding and insulting at the same time... rather silly, really... if this is the level of communication the "anti-steam" crusade is conducted on, I find it not very strange at all that you fail to make people listen... but that is just me, I guess.
low rated
Amok, we seem to be having some sort of a failure to communicate. This conversation doesn't get any better from here on out... I'll bow out before we start chasing our tails.

So in the meantime I'll just say, 'sleep well, and dream of large women.'

Oh, I almost forgot. That last line about sleeping well and dreaming of large women, that was a line from the movie 'Princess Bride.' Didn't want you think that I was spending all my time trying to find ways to insult fat chicks all by myself. Anything else needs clarifying? Maybe I'll go get drunk and come back and then I can show you what a confusing argument really looks like.
Post edited March 03, 2014 by Emob78
Emob78: Wow. I've never had someone be both insulted at something I said, while at the same not understanding what was said in its context. Confused AND angry. That just about sums up internet communication.
I usually tend to disagree with Amok, but I have to say that it's been quite a while that I've seen an analogy that was so pointless, and even carelessly rude toward a whole group of people. That you are trying to defend this ill-conceived post is pretty surprising to me. The _way_ how you defend it is, sorry, rather deplorable. Either you have no idea what an oxymoron is, or you haven't understood why you are coming across as rude, or you are simply confused.

I'm sorry. This is not "internet communication" or Amok misunderstanding something. This is simply you being dickish and trying to defend it in a very unconvincing way, when you simply should have apologized for an ill-conceived remark.
Post edited March 03, 2014 by Psyringe
low rated
Oh, an apology is requested now?

Let me instruct you Europeans a little on the ways of us Americans. We speak two languages, good English and bad English. And we apologize for neither. Insult wasn't intended... but if insult was gained by making a point others deemed reactionary or offensive, then insult will have to be my only reward for exchanging in what we Americans like to call freedom of speech.

The fact that you've taken offense to something that you already perceive as a misdirected and misunderstood phrase means you got too much time on your hands. My words can have either great value, or none at all. That choice is yours. Again, offense was NOT intended, but the fact that you're offended is your problem not mine.

And I have nothing wrong with fat chicks. My country is full of them. I sort of have no choice in that matter.
Emob78: Oh, an apology is requested now?
No. I just pointed out that it's what you should have done (imho). Making an ill-conceived remark is human, it's something that happens to all of us. We simply aren't at our A game all the time. What's more important is how people deal with it afterwards. Some people are mature enough to admit their mistake, and no damage is done. Of course there are also people who have difficulties doing so and who will defend their remark, making matters worse.

Emob78: Let me instruct you Europeans a little on the ways of us Americans. We speak two languages, good English and bad English. And we apologize for neither.
Pointless national stereotypes with a dressing of condescension ... okay, you've pretty much proven that you are just trolling now. "I'm an American so I don't apologize for my language" is a so ridiculous ways of justifying an insult that I can't imagine anyone really thinking that way.

Emob78: what we Americans like to call freedom of speech.
Do you have a book "Elementary course in trolling" on your desk? ;) I'm asking because first offending others and then claiming that this is some "right" by citing a civil right that is a) defining the communication towards the state and not between private individuals, and b) completely irrelevant in a private space like this forum, is so typical, but it's more common with inexperienced trolls.

You are invoking civil rights, cultural differences, and national pride, for one ill-conceived remark that could have easily be done with by just saying "Sorry, I made a bad analogy, let me take that back.". I can't decide whether it's ridiculous or rather just sad. I don't know - do you perhaps enjoy digging your own grave? Because you seem quite eager and apt at it. :)

As someone else said already - if that's your usual modus operandi, then I'm not surprised that nobody listens to you.
Post edited March 03, 2014 by Psyringe
low rated
Emob78: Oh, an apology is requested now?
Psyringe: No. I just pointed out that it's what you should have done (imho). Making an ill-conceived remark is human, it's something that happens to all of us. We simply aren't at our A game all the time. What's more important is how people deal with it afterwards. Some people are mature enough to admit their mistake, and no damage is done. Of course there are also people who have difficulties doing so and who will defend their remark, making matters worse.

Emob78: Let me instruct you Europeans a little on the ways of us Americans. We speak two languages, good English and bad English. And we apologize for neither.
Psyringe: Pointless national stereotypes with a dressing of condescension ... okay, you've pretty much proven that you are just trolling now. "I'm an American so I don't apologize for my language" is a so ridiculous ways of justifying an insult that I can't imagine anyone really thinking that way.

Emob78: what we Americans like to call freedom of speech.
Psyringe: Do you have a book "Elementary course in trolling" on your desk? ;) I'm asking because first offending others and then claiming that this is some "right" by citing a civil right that is a) defining the communication towards the state and not between private individuals, and b) completely irrelevant in a private space like this forum, is so typical, but it's more common with inexperienced trolls.

You are invoking civil rights, cultural differences, and national pride, for one ill-conceived remark that could have easily be done with by just saying "Sorry, I made a bad analogy, let me take that back.". I can't decide whether it's ridiculous or rather just sad. I don't know - do you perhaps enjoy digging your own grave? Because you seem quite eager and apt at it. :)

As someone else said already - if that's your usual modus operandi, then I'm not surprised that nobody listens to you.
Grow thicker skin.

* I just noticed that you're a vagabond. Good call, buddy.*
Post edited March 03, 2014 by Emob78
Emob78: Grow thicker skin.
No need, thanks.
Emob78: Grow thicker skin.
the interesting thing in this is that you seem to be under the misconception that you are insulting or something.... I just find you rather sad...

Oh, well, good luck on your crusade, I can not say you have managed to shift my beliefs today.
Is there a way you can delete your uninteresting posts out of respect for those who come here for information?
realkman666: Is there a way you can delete your uninteresting posts out of respect for those who come here for information?
Unfortunately, no.

Vote for it here: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/delete_own_forum_post :)
To get this thread back on track I'll post what I found:

Linux:
Dead Sky
Start the executable 'DeadSky.x86' instead of the shell script.
Eschalon: Book II
Won't work under Windows.
Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart
That's a tad tricky and I don't understand it at all. Create a 'steam_appid.txt' file in the game directory and write a random appid in it; I used the one of the game, namely '259740'. Then change in the console the directory to the game directory and run one of the game executables (32/64 bit). The game will now complain that Steam can not be found instead of quitting and you can play. The thing I don't understand: When you played the game and are trying to start it again right away, the game won't start. After some random time the game will start again...
Penumbra Overture
It's not news to me but it's not on the list...

Windows:
Cubetractor
Hero Siege
Rename/delete the 'steam.exe' or the 'steam_api.dll' inside of the game folder to play the game. Interesting fact: The game is only available for Win and Mac but has the files for all three platforms in it's game folder (at least under Win). The Linux version can be played, if you rename/delete the 'steam_api.dll' there. Contra: No input is in the linux version without Steam detected (like Sanctum 2), so playing the game is not possible. Though the 'Esc' key works to quit the game... P.S.: The game is apparently a mobile device port, so you control only with your mouse. The game seems to have trouble with this as the mouse cursor won't change ingame. But it could be just a bug in the Linux version.
Party of Sin
The Cat Lady
Vanguard Princess
War of the Human Tanks

There are a few games that were added directly in the List of DRM-free games on Steam instead of being posted here, too. If I should post them here for the sake of completeness, let me know.
Post edited March 08, 2014 by Kick-aha
I do not know if this is the right place to ask, but, is there a list of DRM-fee games on steam that are not sold in gog? IMO those are viable candidates to be added soon (unless I am expecting too much out of gog's new region pricing offer to publisher's).