It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

In the mean time, just use the following script. It addresses these issues with chat. If only GOG would.
low rated
Lin545: Impersonator issue could be completely solved if forum link to profile would consist of hexanumber (UID) instead of user name. Combination of server-assigned UID with self-choosen name is impossible to duplicate.

For example, it would be: gog.com/u/Lin545-S31DX6/, instead of gog.com/u/Lin545/
HIG 101 for you: nope, it couldn't. People simply won't remember random combinations of symbols, especially not for all users they might communicate with. (I mean, the only combination I can recognize on sight is moot's tripcode.) And honestly, people don't even pay attention to the content of the messages. None of the retards can convincingly fake an IQ over 55, how come y'all don't notice? If the person who messaged me about macro and low-tech sci-fi suddenly appears to write "Hey starmaekr can u give me a game i would of like that", I'm not going to fall for it.
Lin545: Impersonator issue could be completely solved if forum link to profile would consist of hexanumber (UID) instead of user name.
Starmaker: HIG 101 for you: nope, it couldn't. People simply won't remember random combinations of symbols
Lin545 has the habit of suggesting overcomplicated solutions. :P
Well I still think PKI is a solution from the user end without waiting for GOG intervention.

However... GOG could add a warning to chats like Steam did; beware of fraudulent accounts, never hand out your credit card or banking information & never tell anyone your password. Even small steps liek that do have an impact & this one would be minimal impact on GOGs technical resources. It's less likely to be a threat to their systems then their servers responding to ping after all.

Preventing like accounts would help a lot I think; that idea I like.
The Adalia Fundamentals does help with that a bit; makes spotting the close nicknames easier.

IP restrictions would also help; if you try & have more than two user names from one IP or open proxy then you have to contact support to add additional user names. This is a bigger drain on resources however but I doubt even the scammers pay for more then a couple proxies.... they are cheap f/tools after all.
There would have to be restrictions on accessing user names from different IPs of course to reduce the number of temporary proxies & a few other functions.
A step like this is unlikely to happen however because GOG won't want to reduce the user base from people signing up from places like colleges or other public access points I bet.

I don't think adding reputation to the chat window or profile would help too much however; it's too arbitrary.

Of course the whole "we don't condone trading" does mean they have no reason to do any of this; if they haven't done it by now I wouldn't expect to see change until someone starts a law suit against them. People's pockets always speak the loudest. At that point scammers would be less an issue because they'd just crack down on trading at all. :-) I'd expect chat filters like Steam uses to ban certain phrases & outside URLS & I've evenseen a chat program that wouldn't let you say your password in chat.

Course why the chat program knew the password is another discussion....
Starmaker: HIG 101 for you: nope, it couldn't. People simply won't remember..
Never asked for them to remember those. Those make cloning profile impossible, as all profiles will have different UID which is part of the URL making it very easy to distinguish between users solely by comparing wishlist/profile URLs.

Phaolo and RWarehall also suggested good stuff, although maybe less efficient.

Granted, its nigh impossible to mimick the rep, low rep values can be mimicked.
Registration month/year can't be mimicked.
Displaying more information in chat is good.
Forced lowercase in chat is good.
Baning similar characters can be troublesome, because adding hidden characters will overcome it - but I have no problem with this.

Eitherway, the scammers use two tactics: similar usernames to confuse, and too good deals to lessen awareness of new/unaware members.

Right, Stаrmakеr?
Edit: just tested and found out the thing above to be impossible on registration. Well, its already something! Thanks GOG!

phaolo: Lin545 has the habit of suggesting overcomplicated solutions. :P
I'm a certified manual-smoking fartchitect!
Post edited May 23, 2016 by Lin545
GOG will probably do nothing about this as all. Their policy is simple "Don't trade keys" and if you don't trade keys there could not be any problem with impersonators as well. Simple as that and absolutely within the law so I would not expect a lawsuit at any time - I don't see any laws tarnished here since GOG forums are only meant to discuss things and not to trade keys.
MarkoH01: GOG will probably do nothing about this as all. Their policy is simple "Don't trade keys" and if you don't trade keys there could not be any problem with impersonators as well. Simple as that and absolutely within the law so I would not expect a lawsuit at any time - I don't see any laws tarnished here since GOG forums are only meant to discuss things and not to trade keys.
All I'm saying can see someone eventually trying something along the lines of "failing to protect the consumer".
Think along the lines of a store making change for a customer. Completely legal until there's multiple cases of customers getting counterfeit money back. A customer might be able to make the case that the store is failing to protect it's customers & has liability. Store still says it doesn't condone counterfeit but saying & doing are different.
In a similar manner one might try & make the cases that GOG is failing to protect the customers by not taking any visible steps against trading & the like. All they're doing is saying they don't condone it; from a certain perspective that's inaction. More a civil thing is all. :-)

Course it takes the right customer being burned in the right area; where the judges are a bit nuts & where the consumer law can still be applied to GOG because of their international status.... so it's unlikely.
Was just saying I don't think we'll ever see something official beyond a "we don't condone it" unless something like that does happen.
high rated
Hello everyone!

I'd just like to report that Humble Bundle reissued new keys for games stolen by Sailornite. His keys have been canceled. :D

So basically, guy got himself banned on GOG, games taken away from him and ended on known scammers list.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and suggestions!
Lin545: Granted, its nigh impossible to mimic the rep, low rep values can be mimicked.
Actually, low rep isn't as easy to mimic as you might think; it seems you can only lose 6 rep per day, so if you want to impersonate Tauto, for example, you would need to lost that much rep for well over 80 days. (Tauto has, as of this posting, less than -500 rep.)

(Note: I took the liberty to remove the "k" at the end of "mimic" from the quote.)
Liberteer: So basically, guy got himself banned on GOG, games taken away from him and ended on known scammers list.
Well done! Then, all ended well for one time : )
low rated
Liberteer: Hello everyone!

I'd just like to report that Humble Bundle reissued new keys for games stolen by Sailornite. His keys have been canceled. :D

So basically, guy got himself banned on GOG, games taken away from him and ended on known scammers list.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and suggestions!
Glad to hear that! Like I said, heard they had done that in the past. Three cheers for Humble Bundle!
dtgreene: (Note: I took the liberty to remove the "k" at the end of "mimic" from the quote.)
I hate it when people remove part of their post.
low rated
dtgreene:
ZFR: I hate it when people remove pa
Huh?
ZFR: I hate it when people
tinyE: H?
Weird.
omega64: Wei
Lol!