It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

You really shouldn't give this a pass.

King of Dragon Pass, the updated version of the seminal strategy/RPG with innovative storytelling, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with a 50% discount until December 10, 11PM UTC.

Almost 20 years after its original release, the fantasy classic returns with a sharper UI and the lovely illustrations cleaned up to be more on par with modern standards. Its seminal worldbuilding and addictive gameplay are as absorbing as ever, plus the added content promises to give veterans extra incentive to return to this wonderful saga.

This is a free update for all owners of the classic version, which is now included in this as a bonus goodie.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited December 06, 2017 by maladr0Id
majesiu: Lots of mixed opinions in this thread, I've just bought this gem and which version is better to play - old provided via .exe installer or the one that's currently in galaxy library?
Try both.

Neither really have much of a windowed mode (remastered has it but it's cruddy, the original only through scripts and launchers), and honestly the original is way better looking on a desktop whereas the remaster is better looking on mobile (I own a tablet with it). Also, there are various small things taken out of the original in the new version. Most of this sounds like extra micromanagement put into automation, but one notable thing is that you absolutely cannot win without raiding anymore. It was an odd choice that you need to really work at to accomplish, but it was an interesting one... and they called it a bug. Phooey!

The tutorial is a nice addition though with the remaster as a whole being kinder to new players, and if you're on OSX or have a bit of a problem reading the text size on a larger screen (both valid problems, though Wine is obtainable for the former) the new version is better off for you. There are also a few extra scenarios too IIRC.
Post edited December 21, 2017 by Projectsonic
I have playe both. Only upgraded to the new version recently. I have to say, despite some early misgivings, this version is better. In fact, the developer (it's basically one guy) has already answered questions about the new version extensively. Basically, any feature that was removed was broken in the original game to begin with. Let me summarize.
CHANGED FEATURES:
- you can't slaughter pigs and sheep anymore: according to the developer, this was broken in the original game; you could slaughter pigs and sheep but could never acquire more. So, now, you slaughter your herd, which, also according to the developer, is a mix of cows, sheep and pigs, with cows being the most important;
- no more inner/outer patrols: this feature was also broken in the original game, according to the developer. Also, it is not really fun to micromanage this;
- same idea for number of crafters, which you cannot change now; still, after playing the new version, I accumulate goods quite well, so this does not bother me;
- same idea for types of crops; i assume that the feature was broken and thus was removed. it was kind of fun to switch between barley, rye and wheat occasionally, so it's unfortunate that this was removed.
- the image of the tula, in which you can see your temples, herds, etc at the end of each year. has been removed. I admit that that image was fun, but it did not have that much practical value. I see why people are upset (kind of), but come on!
- can't save games anymore; savegame is automatic and you can revert to the beginning of an earlier year if you screw up; i tend to savescum and hate it, so for me this is actually a pro
CONS:
- when you reorganize your clan ring, you can't see an icon of each ring member's god. this is slightly annoying and i would say is the main issue in the new version, but it's very easy to scroll thorugh your ring members and check that you do not have members representing the same god; only wastes a couple of seconds i guess.
- can't adjust resolution and difficulty anymore unfortunately
PROS:
- new content
- better graphics
- tutorial (you play through it for one year. then, you can exit and start a new game with a new tribe and no tutorial, or continue your tutorial clan)

To summarize, I really enjoy the new version, although I had some misgivings initially. And, the developer, who invested so much time and effort into this, thinks that this new version is more like what the game was supposed to be like initially. So, yeah, I understand the nostalgics who prefer the old version, but the differences are minor and the new content and graphics, as well as the removal of some broken features make the new version well worth it.
Post edited February 27, 2018 by bulann
bulann: PROS:
[...]
- tutorial (you play through it for one year. then, you can exit and start a new game with a new tribe and no tutorial, or continue your tutorial clan)
The old version has a tutorial, too -- it just requires you to load a special savegame that came with the game, then follow instructions from the tutorial section in the print/PDF manual. Otherwise, it works the same as you stated.
bulann: I have playe both. Only upgraded to the new version recently. I have to say, despite some early misgivings, this version is better. In fact, the developer (it's basically one guy) has already answered questions about the new version extensively. Basically, any feature that was removed was broken in the original game to begin with. Let me summarize.
CHANGED FEATURES:
- you can't slaughter pigs and sheep anymore: according to the developer, this was broken in the original game; you could slaughter pigs and sheep but could never acquire more. So, now, you slaughter your herd, which, also according to the developer, is a mix of cows, sheep and pigs, with cows being the most important;
- no more inner/outer patrols: this feature was also broken in the original game, according to the developer. Also, it is not really fun to micromanage this;
- same idea for number of crafters, which you cannot change now; still, after playing the new version, I accumulate goods quite well, so this does not bother me;
- same idea for types of crops; i assume that the feature was broken and thus was removed. it was kind of fun to switch between barley, rye and wheat occasionally, so it's unfortunate that this was removed.
- the image of the tula, in which you can see your temples, herds, etc at the end of each year. has been removed. I admit that that image was fun, but it did not have that much practical value. I see why people are upset (kind of), but come on!
- can't save games anymore; savegame is automatic and you can revert to the beginning of an earlier year if you screw up; i tend to savescum and hate it, so for me this is actually a pro
CONS:
- when you reorganize your clan ring, you can't see an icon of each ring member's god. this is slightly annoying and i would say is the main issue in the new version, but it's very easy to scroll thorugh your ring members and check that you do not have members representing the same god; only wastes a couple of seconds i guess.
- can't adjust resolution and difficulty anymore unfortunately
PROS:
- new content
- better graphics

To summarize, I really enjoy the new version, although I had some misgivings initially. And, the developer, who invested so much time and effort into this, thinks that this new version is more like what the game was supposed to be like initially. So, yeah, I understand the nostalgics who prefer the old version, but the differences are minor and the new content and graphics, as well as the removal of some broken features make the new version well worth it.
Thanks for the really useful comparison of the two versions.

Maybe you'd consider posting this as a new thread in the King of Dragon Pass forum? As this thread will eventually sink out of sight and I'm sure this info would be useful to other potential players.
how do I get the classic version?
dragonsdale: how do I get the classic version?
On your library -> King of Dragon Pass -> extras -> original 1999 release (Windows installer)
dragonsdale: how do I get the classic version?
Check your game library . You can find it in the extras .