It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

You really shouldn't give this a pass.

King of Dragon Pass, the updated version of the seminal strategy/RPG with innovative storytelling, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with a 50% discount until December 10, 11PM UTC.

Almost 20 years after its original release, the fantasy classic returns with a sharper UI and the lovely illustrations cleaned up to be more on par with modern standards. Its seminal worldbuilding and addictive gameplay are as absorbing as ever, plus the added content promises to give veterans extra incentive to return to this wonderful saga.

This is a free update for all owners of the classic version, which is now included in this as a bonus goodie.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited December 06, 2017 by maladr0Id
Klorix: NO INDIVIDUAL SAVES?!? WTF!

Also, where's the QUIT button?!? Edit: I had to Alt F4 the game...

I am so going back to the former version!
torp: No way to play in a window either?

Thanks for this, but it needs a few more quality of life fixes...
As someone who was once wondering this same thing, I was informed quitting is done by hitting escape. It's easy to miss, considering the number of old games that have an in game menu with an option that says "Quit the game".
A lot of lists have invisible scroll bars, too. They can be seen if your mouse has a scroll wheel.
Thank you for giving us the updated version free of charge. And this one works perfectly too, unlike the one on Steam, where I can't see the manual or saga screens.

That said, I will stick with playing the original version. It's much better in my humble opinion. New version has some bugs still left, they removed a lot of stuff, like the screen of your tula and some resources too.

This is really the version for touchscreens and it shows.
Post edited December 11, 2017 by revanbh
Really enjoyed this game, it was one I wanted to play for years and an early easy pick up when I joined GoG.

Like the new, "cleaner" look that still sort of preserves the storyboard period look. This might give me an excuse to fire it up again (though I have a bit on my gaming plate).
Orlanthi ethos:

1. No one can make you do anything.

2. Violence is always an option.

3. There is always another way.

Had to.
revanbh: This is really the version for touchscreens and it shows.
Ah, so it's meant more for a tablet/pad. That's likely why the updated version wouldn't work at all, on my laptop.
revanbh: This is really the version for touchscreens and it shows.
Shadow10380: Ah, so it's meant more for a tablet/pad. That's likely why the updated version wouldn't work at all, on my laptop.
I doubt that has anything to do with it. Though do be aware that the system requirements for the remade version are different from those for the old one.
Shadow10380: Ah, so it's meant more for a tablet/pad. That's likely why the updated version wouldn't work at all, on my laptop.
Doesn't have to be the case. Works fine for me on both laptop and desktop. Except on Steam version I can't read the manual or saga text. GOG version lets me do that but I've ran into a bug while doing the tutorial, because the game doesn't recognize that I've built a shrine and won't let me progress past that point.
The thing is, King of Dragon Pass is, by design, pretty much atemporal. However, the new version is a bit easier on newcomers.
revanbh: Doesn't have to be the case. Works fine for me on both laptop and desktop.
It updated automatically, the day they put it out. I opened it up to try the new version, and it immediately closed down, unable to play it.
Shadow10380: It updated automatically, the day they put it out. I opened it up to try the new version, and it immediately closed down, unable to play it.
You can roll back to the previous update. In your Galaxy client game page select "MORE" -> "Settings" and then switch "Install Updates" to "Manually". Now you will be able to select previous updates under the section "Rollback To Earlier Version".

Also games won't update automatically. You'll only get blue dot next to any game that has updates pending. Just select "MORE" and "Update" when you wish to update the game.
I already rolled back to the previous update. And yes, it did update automatically. The same thing happened with, This War of Mine. When people saw that there were issues with it's newest update, and that they weren't being fixed, I had to do the same thing to fix it.
Lots of mixed opinions in this thread, I've just bought this gem and which version is better to play - old provided via .exe installer or the one that's currently in galaxy library?
majesiu: Lots of mixed opinions in this thread, I've just bought this gem and which version is better to play - old provided via .exe installer or the one that's currently in galaxy library?
In my personal opinion: Without any hesitation the old classical version of the game. The new gui is terrible and destroys the immersive design of the old game. In the old game you had the impression of taking part in a world: Every single tab and button had a design consistent with the game's theme. It gives an almost organic experience, there is not a single part of the game unfitting to the stories it tells. The new version on the other hand, as I already stated, completely ignores the importance of such an organic design, it may be perfectly controllable and on mobile devices with touch screen, but it looses its beauty and gives the priority to functionality. Sure, the images stay the same, but they get distorted and don't express the same meaning like in the classic version. They are mere props - while in the original game they were like windows in a strange and exotic world.
Post edited December 17, 2017 by Wolfram_von_Thal
Time ago I installed the original version just to try it, without reading the manual and all, and I was lost, so I uninstalled the game for a future with more time to properly play it.

Now I just tried the newer version, and the feel is really different (more soulless) but the controls are more obvious, and also I was able to play it without even opening the manual... I don't remember if the old version had a tutorial, but I understood the concept of the game more easily then in the past.

Maybe it's better to start with the newer one and then "upgrade" the experience with the old one XD
You remember correctly. The original version didn't have a tutorial. It really should have. To this day, there are still plenty of players, who don't properly understand various aspects of the game.