It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Martek: I followed the "opt out" link you posted, and got "opted-out".

However, if it's based on local cookies, then it's probably not going to work for me, because I browse where all my cookies get deleted on browser exit. I won't compromise that choice by having it "remember" to save GOG cookies.

So.. if it's cookie-based, that means that I won't be effectively opted-out. Thusly, logging-in is going to be a hassle. That will end up meaning less engagement with the site on my part. Which will mean fewer forum posts (big whoop) and (more important to them), fewer buys from me. My library says I have nearly 700 games, so I have plenty to play without having to buy more.

I guess we'll see how this gets implemented..
I'm thinking the opt out is an account setting, server-side. It should flag the account so when the command will be sent to turn on 2FA to all those not flagged, it'll be skipped, right? How could that be cookie based?
I've been using two step for a while, so no surprise or anger from me. In these dark days of constant hacking, key selling, and third party bullshit, it's almost become a necessary evil.
good news and hopefully less "hacked" accounts. As there is an opt out for people who don't want it it seems perfectly fine imho. Myself i'm usiing 2-factor since a bit and didn't have any issues - usually i received the key without seconds and well regarding cookies - ya i delete mine quite often and that means doing the authentication again but as it only takes like 15 seconds i don't mind
seriosbrad: I use 2-Step Logins whenever possible. But I would have much preferred if GOG implemented it via an API so that I can use Authenticator apps on my phone.
Darvond: It would also be appreciated if rather than having to rely on GOG's system, I'd prefer to use Google's Authentication. I already use it for Discord and Google, so it'd come in quite handy.
+1 to these. Time-based OTP apps like Google's really are the standard for two-step authentication. It's a standard algorithm, and many other implementations exist.

Of course not everyone has smartphones, so email should also be an option - also for people who lose their smartphones, email is needed to be able to get back into your account.

Darvond: It would also be appreciated if rather than having to rely on GOG's system, I'd prefer to use Google's Authentication. I already use it for Discord and Google, so it'd come in quite handy.
plagren: I, on the other hand, appreciate it when a website doesn't rely on a massive data mining company for everything. Some things are more important than convenience.
The Google Authenticator app doesn't send data to Google. It doesn't even ask for internet access. Google provide it because it's a relatively simple app that makes their Android-based phones that much more useful.
Post edited October 17, 2016 by raveturned
The link to opt out is https://login.gog.com/opt_out

Hypersomniac any chance you could include that right there in the first post?
high rated
Martek: Thanks for the heads-up. I don't check my email every day (or even every other day <g>), so haven''t yet seen this.

I followed the "opt out" link you posted, and got "opted-out".

However, if it's based on local cookies, then it's probably not going to work for me, because I browse where all my cookies get deleted on browser exit. I won't compromise that choice by having it "remember" to save GOG cookies.

So.. if it's cookie-based, that means that I won't be effectively opted-out. Thusly, logging-in is going to be a hassle. That will end up meaning less engagement with the site on my part. Which will mean fewer forum posts (big whoop) and (more important to them), fewer buys from me. My library says I have nearly 700 games, so I have plenty to play without having to buy more.

I assume that it's account based on the server side, otherwise the option to opt-out makes no sense.

clarry: The link to opt out is https://login.gog.com/opt_out

Hypersomniac any chance you could include that right there in the first post?
It's already in the OP (second paragraph), but I'll make it stick out a bit.
HypersomniacLive: I. It'd be appreciated if there were a public, official announcement about it, as people may have opted out from receiving any emails from GOG, and may be unpleasantly surprised when asked for that 4-digits code, if they have chosen to not enable two-step login.
HUEHUEHUE?
Gydion: HUEHUEHUE?
That was 13 hours ago...maybe they're going to say something in the other forums as well, including the English one, and they just haven't done so yet?
I mean, it's not necessarily likely, but one can hope.
Gydion: HUEHUEHUE?
zeogold: That was 13 hours ago...maybe they're going to say something in the other forums as well, including the English one, and they just haven't done so yet?
I mean, it's not necessarily likely, but one can hope.
Was saying it was pretty normal not to have it posted till Monday, what was unusual being to have the mail sent Saturday, but that is odd, posted on the BR forum and just that, not on main one and even less so on main page.
Maybe the mail wasn't also in PT-BR for some reason and they wanted it there for those who don't know English? Or that being the most recently added language, many don't have things set to use it instead of English and they wanted to better cover the bases?
But meh, why am I making excuses? It's GOG and communication...
Martek: Thanks for the heads-up. I don't check my email every day (or even every other day <g>), so haven''t yet seen this.

I followed the "opt out" link you posted, and got "opted-out".

HypersomniacLive: I assume that it's account based on the server side, otherwise the option to opt-out makes no sense.
We agree completely.

To be clear, I'm not hypothesizing that it is cookie-based. someone else did, and then a reply to that seemed to support that it was cookie-based.

Hence my concern.
jsjrodman: Unrelated to my above post, in case this isn't clear, GOG.com is doing this because they sort of have to.

They've created a service that involves money changing hands, and the accounts are how ongoing ownership of purchased items are maintained. That means they have an obligation to keep that account ownership intact. It might not be a strict legal obligation (I am not a lawyer), but it's just a natural consequence of operating this kind of store where you need ongoing access to keep "ownership" of your items.
J_Darnley: Then GOG should remove those shit features. Remove the shit wallet. Remove the shit regional pricing. Remove the shit Galaxy.

I own my shit here because I download and keep the installer for every game I own. No amount of shenanigans on GOG's part can remove that from me.

Stop renting your shit and you will be less troubled about hackers.
I'm talking about the ongoing service that I can download updated versions of the games, the games released for new platforms, and download them again if I lose the installer via some means. Those are legit features that I appreciate, rather than shit problems from things like DRM.
HypersomniacLive: I assume that it's account based on the server side, otherwise the option to opt-out makes no sense.
Martek: We agree completely.

To be clear, I'm not hypothesizing that it is cookie-based. someone else did, and then a reply to that seemed to support that it was cookie-based.

Hence my concern.
That message you refer to refers to the way two-step works, not to the setting, as in whether remembering the device is done based on a cookie instead of other stuff (not sure how that'd be... IP and technical data and what not?).
Martek: We agree completely.

Hence my concern.
Cavalary: That message you refer to refers to the way two-step works, not to the setting, as in whether remembering the device is done based on a cookie instead of other stuff (not sure how that'd be... IP and technical data and what not?).
Well good then.

Won't be long before we know for sure - but it sounds like cookie-clearing should not be a problem (for those opting out at least).
high rated
Surprise, surprise! The opt-out option didn't work and I had to go through two-step authentication to log in today.

Positive thing: It worked quite smooth and the code was sent within seconds (unlike the codes on Humble that often need half an hor to arrive).
PaterAlf: Surprise, surprise! The opt-out option didn't work and I had to go through two-step authentication to log in today.

Positive thing: It worked quite smooth and the code was sent within seconds (unlike the codes on Humble that often need half an hor to arrive).
I can't believe it! Something on GOG's website doesn't work as intended? You must be kidding! :P

Anyway, I really think it's for the best and after using the 2-step authentication method for months now, I can vouch for the almost instantaneous arrival of GOG's emails with the 4-digit code.

Humble codes usually take more time for me too, but never up to half an hour (more like 1-2 minutes, which is still irritating).