It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Breja: Yeah, but on my mailbox for example it ended up in spam. And if it wasn't for this thread I would never even have looked for it.
darthspudius: Is it not common sense to check out the spam box every day or two?
Maybe, but it's easy to miss something among the heaps of spam. Or someone can simply forget. Again, there is no reason not to announce it on GOG's page too. Even if the e-mail was 100% impossible to miss and coulld not end up in spam, if it was glowing fucking pink and played marching tunes- there is still no reason not to also make the announcement here.
Post edited October 15, 2016 by Breja
darthspudius: Is it not common sense to check out the spam box every day or two?
Breja: Maybe, but it's easy to miss something among the heaps of spam. Or someone can simply forget. Again, there is no reason not to announce it on GOG's page too. Even if the e-mail was 100% impossible to miss and counld not end up in spam, if it was glowing fucking pink and played marching tunes- there is still no reason not to also make the announcement here.
Probably because they'll end up with endless criticism like they always do when they try something with good intentions.
Breja: Maybe, but it's easy to miss something among the heaps of spam. Or someone can simply forget. Again, there is no reason not to announce it on GOG's page too. Even if the e-mail was 100% impossible to miss and counld not end up in spam, if it was glowing fucking pink and played marching tunes- there is still no reason not to also make the announcement here.
darthspudius: Probably because they'll end up with endless criticism like they always do when they try something with good intentions.
My heart bleeds.

Anyway, not announcing something properly is hardly going to spare them that (in case that's not obviou enough already.
serpantino: I'd like to know if this means they'll be getting rid of that damn Captcha. Sometimes that thing goes on for ages before you click all the trees, storefronts etc.
This doesn't really have anything to do with captcha, they serve two different purposes even though both are to make the site more secure in some way. Captcha is more to prevent script bots and such from working, two-step login to help in case your password is leaked or breached somehow (e.g. from another site).

I think GOG already reverted back to less stringent captcha anyway. Do you still get it? At some point they changed it apparently so that if you don't have cookies, captcha would be forced on you, but that is not the case anymore.

I am not even sure when captcha comes now, is it e.g. if you try to login unsuccessfully to your account a number of times, or what? Anyway, I haven't encountered captcha anymore ever since they reverted back to the old way. I didn't care that much for it anyway (finding the correct pictures was usually quite easy), except that it unfortunately made gogrepo harder to use (ie. getting valid login cookies for gogrepo).
Post edited October 15, 2016 by timppu
darthspudius: Probably because they'll end up with endless criticism like they always do when they try something with good intentions.
Breja: My heart bleeds.

Anyway, not announcing something properly is hardly going to spare them that (in case that's not obviou enough already.
I don't see why they would care if you'll just give them attitude. I wouldn't give a shit either.
high rated
HunchBluntley: I don't think you can opt out of e-mails like this one -- it probably falls into the same category as notifications of updates to the site's Terms of Use. Most sites send you these messages regardless of what other categories of mail you've chosen to receive/not receive from them; I'm pretty sure it's the same here.
Breja: Yeah, but on my mailbox for example it ended up in spam. And if it wasn't for this thread I would never even have looked for it.
The number of GOG customers who visit the forums (or even check the front page very regularly) is a fairly small proportion of their overall customer base. A mass e-mailing of a brief notice is still the best, most reliable way to reach most of the customer base. Also, it's not like the change is not reversible, even if you miss the message. ;)

And, while they could make a front-page news item for this...why would they? I'm sure they're very aware that the comment thread would just be filled with ARGLEBLARGELRAAAAGE over the fact that they're slightly inconveniencing part of their customer base to cut down on the "HELF MY ACOUNT HAS BEEN STOLEN!" Support requests. Generally speaking, they seem to try to avoid announcing a negative (or something that will be perceived as such) on the front page unless it's something so big they can't avoid it (such as the adoption of regional pricing). It might be seen as annoying by some, but it's a solid PR decision.
I'm gonna disagree with most of you and say that this is a good thing. When faced with a choice most people will simply go for the default, so the default should be what's usually the best course of action. By making it opt out rather than opt in they do just that. I have seen more than a few threads on this forum about attempted hacks, and I'm assuming i don't see even a fraction of the reports that GOG has to deal with. Taking risks on the internet should be a concious choice, not a matter of ignorance.
Post edited October 15, 2016 by MightyPinecone
darthspudius: I don't see why they would care if you'll just give them attitude. I wouldn't give a shit either.
Because it's their job?

Anyway, you logic is completely backwards. "They might be upset about that thing we're going to do, so we're instead of making sure everyone is properly informed we'll just do it anyway. That way they sure won't be upset. And if they wil - fuck them, we don't care. Lol."

You're not going to make me feel bad for thinking customers should be properly informed of everything GOG does. That's insane.
timppu: This doesn't really have anything to do with captcha, they serve two different purposes even though both are to make the site more secure in some way. Captcha is more to prevent script bots and such from working, two-step login to help in case your password is leaked or breached somehow (e.g. from another site).

I think GOG already reverted back to less stringent captcha anyway. Do you still get it? At some point they changed it apparently so that if you don't have cookies, captcha would be forced on you, but that is not the case anymore.
I don't get it on my pc but then I use Adblock & Noscript. I do still get it on my mobile occasionally but I use VPN sometimes which probably enrages the captcha gods. I know it doesn't directly correlate with Captcha's purpose but if they kept Captcha in as well that'd just be another layer to get through to log in.
Post edited October 15, 2016 by serpantino
HunchBluntley: And, while they could make a front-page news item for this...why would they? I'm sure they're very aware that the comment thread would just be filled with ARGLEBLARGELRAAAAGE over the fact that they're slightly inconveniencing part of their customer base to cut down on the "HELF MY ACOUNT HAS BEEN STOLEN!" Support requests. Generally speaking, they seem to try to avoid announcing a negative (or something that will be perceived as such) on the front page unless it's something so big they can't avoid it (such as the adoption of regional pricing). It might be seen as annoying by some, but it's a solid PR decision.
This is madness. It's like I'm in the mirror universe from Star Trek. People are actually defending the decision of the store to not keep them well informed, because some people could get upset... which they will anyway, when the thing happens, if they were not informed.
Breja: This is madness. It's like I'm in the mirror universe from Star Trek. People are actually defending the decision of the store to not keep them well informed, because some people could get upset... which they will anyway, when the thing happens, if they were not informed.
They ARE keeping us informed. That's what the e-mail is for. Yes, it might wind up in a few people's spam folder, but as I said, it will still reach far, far more of their customer base than a front page news item ever would.
Thanks for the heads up. Not had any emails about this, yet & this is definitely something that should be stuck on front page for all to see (stick it where the Galaxy spam banner is for some time).

Also, the chances are, that anyone that gets their GOG account hacked, has been done because their email was already hacked before hand, so two step via email seems a daft way to go.
Breja: This is madness. It's like I'm in the mirror universe from Star Trek. People are actually defending the decision of the store to not keep them well informed, because some people could get upset... which they will anyway, when the thing happens, if they were not informed.
the only madness here is that you cant understand that not everyone has the same opinion as you :). according to email 2FA can be disabled at any time even after 24 oct so importance of pushing this across every channel possible is debatable.

also, you are throwing judgements that gog decision was "to not keep them well informed" - how do you know if they dont have the post scheduled after the weekend to remind people again? why already throw judgements and blame them for not doing their job and complain about gog with every post possible? did they hurt you somehow or killed your cat?? ;)
Post edited October 15, 2016 by d2t
Thanks for the heads up, I haven't received an email yet but I probably will at some point.

As for those complaining that they haven't announced it on the front page and forum... It's only the 15th, it's 9 days before it happens. There is a chance they will announce it closer to the time or on the day it happens.

I agree with timpu though, as long as you can opt out it makes more sense to force it as default for all the barely used accounts that are probably at greater risk of being hacked.
HypersomniacLive: For all that may be interested and have missed it, or have opted out from receiving emails from GOG
You get the email even if you have opted out.