It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

shmerl: Why can't they provide betas as regular downloads?
Alm888: Maybe bacause this is not feasible?
Egosoft typically updates its betas roughly on a weekly basis. And you do remember GOG takes pride in manual validation of uploaded releases for "quality assurance", right? Even if we (or Egosoft) somehow manage to convince GOG not to turn down obvious betas for lots of bugs (seriously, go check their logs for the upcoming 3.0 release), by the time GOG publishes our oh-so-special Linux version it will be obsolete.
I don't really see a difference with beta pushed through Galaxy. I assume GOG doesn't test it at all? So they can as well allow putting up some tarball by developers, that's not tested at all and is available through the site that you could access by selecting "beta channel". Quality wise there is zero difference.

More likely reason that it's not done is probably that GOG doesn't want to spend money on Linux use case, so feature parity is off the table.
Post edited December 26, 2019 by shmerl
And it highlights the main problem with Galaxy that was mentioned before. Lack of Galaxy for Linux prevents some Linux releases from coming out here. GOG tried to claim it's not the case, but it clearly is like with X4.

Another such example I suspect is the failed release of We Happy Few. They abandoned working on the Linux version, but they released their final imperfect result to Steam Linux users as beta. GOG Linux users got the short end of the stick, because we don't have access to betas. So Galaxy is preventing releases here. Q.E.D.

I personally don't care about Galaxy itself. But missing releases caused by it is a major issue. GOG should either provide feature parity for non Galaxy release use cases, or release Galaxy for Linux. The current approach that's causing missing releases is unprofessional.

And for all the talk about Galaxy being optional, sounds like accessing betas made it mandatory.
Post edited December 26, 2019 by shmerl
shmerl: An interesting question came up. Apparently for a while already GOG started supporting beta versions (through beta release "channel").
"for a while" means for at least 3 and a half years.

Alm888: We can't. Plain and simple.
Actually that is wrong. Galaxy client support is available on Linux, at least partially. But the Linux beta version of the game is not available on GOG. You can install the Windows version of a game on Linux with lgogdownloader. But you can not install the Linux version of a game, especially a beta version, because it is not available on GOG's server and distributing it is not supported server side.

ped7g: While I prefer no-DRM shop, lately I'm considering creating steam account finally after all those years...
Same for me. I really do not want to create a Steam account. But the lack of all the Linux versions on GOG sooner or later will make me create one.

shmerl: I personally don't care about Galaxy itself. But missing releases caused by it is a major issue.
Exactly that. If they at least would support Linux server side and as a stub library for releasing Linux game versions...
I probably would not use a binary-only Galaxy client for Linux anyway.
Post edited December 27, 2019 by eiii
eiii: "for a while" means for at least 3 and a half years.
I wouldn't know, I never used the official client ) Question of betas came up only recently for me.
Post edited December 27, 2019 by shmerl
shmerl: I assume GOG doesn't test it at all?
I suppose so. Unlike offline installers on the website, Galaxy builds are fully automated and can be updated as often as developers want to.
shmerl: So they can as well allow putting up some tarball by developers, that's not tested at all and is available through the site that you could access by selecting "beta channel". Quality wise there is zero difference.
No, I think this is not the case. Galaxy, probably, works just like Steam depots (or Git repositories). All it does is "cloning" the depot into user's install directory. Said depots are completely separated from the website releases and unaccessible from the library web page.
In order to distribute "tarballs" devs would still need underlying "git-esque" functionality which is unavailable for Linux.

Another way is to distribute "tarballs" as "bonuses", but that is also updated manually by GOG's team.
shmerl: More likely reason that it's not done is probably that GOG doesn't want to spend money on Linux use case, so feature parity is off the table.
Well, we can take this for granted, can't we? :)
is there an app to get to run pharoah on chromebook?
Just purchased Witcher 3 Wild Hunt and the two add ons. Game runs very well on my Windows PC using Xbox360 console. Played it a few years ago no wories.
Only problem is that I'm up to preparing to kill the Griffin (early in the game I know) and the save option does not save the game. I see a dialouge box saying something like - Do you wish to continue, any further advancement will not be saved.
Not much point spending money on a game if I can't save my progress.
Please advise
Steve
Post edited December 28, 2019 by Esjay57
Esjay57: Just purchased Witcher 3 Wild Hunt and the two add ons. Game runs very well on my Windows PC using Xbox360 console. Played it a few years ago no wories.
Only problem is that I'm up to preparing to kill the Griffin (early in the game I know) and the save option does not save the game. I see a dialouge box saying something like - Do you wish to continue, any further advancement will not be saved.
Not much point spending money on a game if I can't save my progress.
Please advise
Steve
Is it the originally advertised linux version of Witcher 3? [/sarcasm directed at CD red]
danw49er: is there an app to get to run pharoah on chromebook?
ARM or Intel/AMD processor? Running Chrome OS or some other and if so, which distro?
Esjay57:
Sounds like you are on Windows and are having a problem with the Galaxy client. Neither of those two have anything to do with Linux as there is no client for Linux. This thread is specifically for Linux problems. In case of a problem like yours, I would contact support directly but you can have a look in this sticky thread:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_galaxy_official_discussion_thread
or in the game's subforum: https://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt
Post edited December 28, 2019 by Themken
Esjay57: Just purchased Witcher 3 Wild Hunt and the two add ons. Game runs very well on my Windows PC using Xbox360 console.
<...>
Please advise
Steve
Since it's the Linux FAQ thread, I recommend wiping out Windows from your computer, installing Linux, and running TW3 in Wine after that ;) It works very well, really.
Post edited December 29, 2019 by shmerl
Recelnty i've been wondering to buy more games on Steam than GOG. Why? It is simple. I can play them on linux using Steam and Proton. I installed Galaxy Connect 2.0 client and my games wont launch at all. I have also installed older Galaxy Client, 1.2.64 and also i cant launch games using GOG Client. I can launch them running exe, but with this time spend with the games and achievements are not checked, counted, stored. As soon as i launch Fallout 1 via older Galaxy Client, i see error window with possiblity to send error mesage to devs. Diss so either i won't be playing at all, or i wil launch exe, cold play but without client my time spend and achievs wont be gatheres. Big dissapointed. Really, using Linux buy something from Steam...
Post edited January 05, 2020 by linfanusr
linfanusr:
Eww… This all is nice and whatnot… but do you have a question? Or maybe you want some "trouble" in need of "shooting"? Please, pay attention to the thread's title.

All that you have described is known to pretty much every Linux user on GOG. And Windows users and GOG staff generally do not care checking this thread.

IMO, this is not the place for reviews or feedback.
linfanusr:
Alm888: Eww… This all is nice and whatnot… but do you have a question? Or maybe you want some "trouble" in need of "shooting"? Please, pay attention to the thread's title.

All that you have described is known to pretty much every Linux user on GOG. And Windows users and GOG staff generally do not care checking this thread.

IMO, this is not the place for reviews or feedback.
Why can't they provide as regular downloads?
linfanusr: Recelnty i've been wondering to buy more games on Steam than GOG. Why? It is simple. I can play them on linux using Steam and Proton. I installed Galaxy Connect 2.0 client and my games wont launch at all. I have also installed older Galaxy Client, 1.2.64 and also i cant launch games using GOG Client. I can launch them running exe, but with this time spend with the games and achievements are not checked, counted, stored. As soon as i launch Fallout 1 via older Galaxy Client, i see error window with possiblity to send error mesage to devs. Diss so either i won't be playing at all, or i wil launch exe, cold play but without client my time spend and achievs wont be gatheres. Big dissapointed. Really, using Linux buy something from Steam...
I don't think GOG as a platform would be that discrete about it if GOG Galaxy had a built in implementation of several compatibility layers for Linux.
A little bit of common sense and research could've saved you a lot of time and frustration.
Post edited January 10, 2020 by mVg0
linfanusr: Recelnty i've been wondering to buy more games on Steam than GOG. Why? It is simple. I can play them on linux using Steam and Proton. I installed Galaxy Connect 2.0 client and my games wont launch at all. I have also installed older Galaxy Client, 1.2.64 and also i cant launch games using GOG Client. I can launch them running exe, but with this time spend with the games and achievements are not checked, counted, stored. As soon as i launch Fallout 1 via older Galaxy Client, i see error window with possiblity to send error mesage to devs. Diss so either i won't be playing at all, or i wil launch exe, cold play but without client my time spend and achievs wont be gatheres. Big dissapointed. Really, using Linux buy something from Steam...
mVg0: I don't think GOG as a platform would be that discrete about it if GOG Galaxy had a built in implementation of several compatibility layers for Linux.
A little bit of common sense and research could've saved you a lot of time and frustration.
You think that i did not do that? Every free time i spent to check how to solve something when using GOG (Lutris etc), fix something, patch something and instead of playing the game i waste my time to fix this, solve that...As soon as i launch the same title bought on Steam (Fallout 1) i just click play button and thats all...it works...with Proton recently relased. In fact, right now i've been playing Fallout 1 using Windows...because my savegames.

Really, some help or support would be great. They wrote about linux gaming, linux relases and so on. Something more to finish this topic. Recen update og GOG Client is broken, because of the client we could not launch games because earlier i could play Fallout 1 with Linux (Arch) on older relase of GOG Galaxy Client (before update to 1.2.64, not mention 2.0...).

You know what is more funny? Adverts of buying games without DRM...and on DRM OS i could not play them. This is not new games, that needs Windows 10 and uber spec desktop for gaming, that is Fallout 1 dammit, game from early 90?

Why i can play the game on Arch running exe from Lutris folder and it works, but as soon as i try to launch it via GOG Client crash error is being shown with 1.2.64 client, and nothing happens with 2.0 clients? Game works running exe files directly, so the GOG Client is totally broken.

What is more than funny? I checked the board right now. The same problem with GOG Galaxy Client (2.0) have other people. The same problem. They just hit the play button (on GOG Client 2.0) and nothing happens. Verify the game, reinstall the game does nothing...so i'm not the only one with one exeption - i have the same problem under Linux but that it is not important...because the same solution works for me too - running game directly from Exe. GOG Client is buggy, broken and thas is all to say.
Post edited January 12, 2020 by linfanusr