It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

linfanusr:
I don't want to be rude, but will you stop the hate speech, please?

1) You have clearly shown that you have Windows copy and more than content to use it. Please, do so. There is no shame in using Windows. (BTW, you could transfer your Fallout 1 saves to Linux installation).

2) "GOG Galaxy" does not support Linux. Trying to blame a program not designed to work on a certain OS for… not working on said OS is foolish. No offense, but it really is. This is the very same demeanor general populace shuns "Linux-users" for big mouths and high demands. Look, Linux is not about "I need them to do this for me" approach. There is 99% chance you did not pay for your Linux copy, yet, you are using (?) it. If you want something to be done, do it yourself (and, preferably, share the results with the community). If you want to improve WINE to be able to launch "GOG Galaxy", that's brilliant. But do not demand "GOG Galaxy" to work because you want it! You can ask for native support, however (albeit I do not think this will change anything). Or you can use "Steam Client". But do not be annoying to everyone, please.
Yep, I'm also confused by reports of problems with GOG Galaxy under linux. It's not even supposed to work.

But if you think reporting the obvious is worth your while, write to the authors of the GOG Galaxy SW.

Hmm.. actually, writing it here would made some sense if there would be somebody at GOG reading this forum and caring about linux, but lately there's nobody like that, so only gamer's community is reading this. We ain't going to fix Galaxy for GOG, forget that, when the Galaxy plans appeared, since the beginning there were multiple comments about how to do it to make it less painful, advice offered, even programming help offered, but as you can see, galaxy is closed source mess so difficult to port to linux, that they even stopped developments of linux version. I have zero incentive to even try to help with Galaxy *now*, when they didn't listen *before*, when i was offering some help.
Post edited January 12, 2020 by ped7g
linfanusr:
Alm888: I don't want to be rude, but will you stop the hate speech, please?

1) You have clearly shown that you have Windows copy and more than content to use it. Please, do so. There is no shame in using Windows. (BTW, you could transfer your Fallout 1 saves to Linux installation).

2) "GOG Galaxy" does not support Linux. Trying to blame a program not designed to work on a certain OS for… not working on said OS is foolish. No offense, but it really is. This is the very same demeanor general populace shuns "Linux-users" for big mouths and high demands. Look, Linux is not about "I need them to do this for me" approach. There is 99% chance you did not pay for your Linux copy, yet, you are using (?) it. If you want something to be done, do it yourself (and, preferably, share the results with the community). If you want to improve WINE to be able to launch "GOG Galaxy", that's brilliant. But do not demand "GOG Galaxy" to work because you want it! You can ask for native support, however (albeit I do not think this will change anything). Or you can use "Steam Client". But do not be annoying to everyone, please.
Saying that i did not pay for something is funny and more rude than i'm speaking freely my mind. I bought many games from GOG (ill now i own more than 100 games) and the same for Steam (till now more than 100). Saying especially for Linux, that is free on its own that i did not pay and use it is in fact showing that you don't know what you are saying.

Hate speech? God dammit. I pay for it. I want to use without DRM and that worked earlier, before they updated GOG clinet for something newer like 1.2.64 and 2.0. I wrote it so a say it again. The same problem with GOG launcher have WINDOWS USERS. They just hit the play button in GOG 2.0 and nothing happens. The same solution works - run from the exe.

You said that i can ask and so on. Sorry, but running GOG i can hit "show linux native games" so dont joke about GOG client not for Linux If they relased native games for linux, updated GOG (and broken it) and sells game than what is the point of saying that it is not meant for other OS exept Windows, like Arch linux? I can ask but not demand? LOL. I bought, for an exmample Bioshock Infinite and it comes with launcher for Windows and launcher native for Linux! So in fact, old game, from 90, that is working when launched via exe should also works when i hit the play button, but GOG client is broken and it just cant launch under linux, and as i wrote earlier, it does not work correctly for many Windows users. What you say to them? Sorry, it is not for Windows? Ask politely?!?

I demand because they have native linux games under GOG! So god damm, relase native GOG client for linux, just like Steam show that they can and relased Proton.

God dammit, right now under "linux" tab i have 34 games from GOG. So, they should have relase native linux client because having native linux games i need wrapper from linux to Windows to run linux games. That is just brillant and hilarous...having broken GOG Client for linux, because it is meant for Windows, and having native linux games from GOG that have only launcher meant to be launched only via Windows. LOL, and LOL, that just plain stupidity.
Post edited January 12, 2020 by linfanusr
- Deliberately bypasses a site's restrictions to download its application that's only "available for Windows and Mac."
- Complains that an .exe client doesn't include Proton-like implementation for Linux.
- Complains that several features are broken and misleading.
- Says he can run the title he wishes to play through Lutris anyway.

I don't know what to say anymore...
Post edited January 12, 2020 by mVg0
linfanusr:
1) "Fallout 1" neither had been released for Linux, nor advertised on GOG for being such;

2) The aforementioned also goes for "Bioshock Infinite";

3) If you appealing to "GOG Galaxy" also being "broken" on Windows, than I couldn't care less as unlike yourself, I do not own a Windows™ copy (or a machine running Windows). Besides, this has nothing to do with the thread ("General Linux FAQ and Troubleshooting");

4) I do not joke about "GOG client" (proper name: "GOG Galaxy") not being for Linux. That is a fact. You must learn to differentiate between Linux games sold on the GOG store which also has web-interface and optional (as GOG puts it) dedicated client, exclusive for Windows™ and MacOS™;

5) Yes, to demand something that was not even promised is foolish. The fact that you have paid for Windows games does not entitle you to be provided Linux support. Even on Steam™ the Proton™ mechanism is being provided "as is". And WINE have never been a core part of Linux. It is just a side tool to try to launch a Windows™ app and hope for the best. Paid for a Windows game? Enjoy your Windows™ support. It is as simple as that.
So, they should have relase(sic) native linux(sic) client because having native linux(sic!) games i need wrapper from linux(sic!!) to Windows to run linux(SIC!!!) games.
6) No, they should not. GOG provides both Linux and Windows versions simultaneously. Just use Windows version on Windows™. That's it.

Seriously, did you even try to download and launch Linux versions of your "34 games from GOG"? I assure you, they do not depend on (or use in any way, for better or worse) "GOG Galaxy". It seems you are just purchasing Windows games from the Windows "GOG Galaxy" client and expecting for no justifiable reason them to work! Yet, you somehow call yourself a "Linux gamer"…

Seriously, you have been provided what you paid for. Just use Windows. Or become a WINE® developer and improve it to be able to launch all Windows games and "GOG Galaxy". Yes, they are hiring.
ped7g: Hmm.. actually, writing it here would made some sense if there would be somebody at GOG reading this forum and caring about linux, but lately there's nobody like that, so only gamer's community is reading this.
I have a feeling GOG have literally no one left for Linux support internally, and they offload it to some cheap external contractors in some distant countries who for sure don't have any incentive to read forum complaints. The debacle with The Bard's Tale IV release that failed several times in a row was a demonstration.

All this is probably not some malicious intent, but financial pressure, since GOG had some rather tight situation not long ago. That doesn't make it any better for Linux users of course. Not sure if things improved in that regard, but they for sure didn't improve in regards to Linux. Since @linuxvangog left and @JudasIscariot went into complete radio silence mode, there is simply no one to talk about Linux issues on GOG.
Post edited January 12, 2020 by shmerl
Speaking of Fallout, I'm sure I read somewhere the other day that you could play Fallout 2 on DOSBox despite it not being a DOS game. It may just have been wishful thinking though because I can't find any information now. Does anyone here know if it's possible? I haven't played it since switching to Linux :-(
HappyPunkPotato: Speaking of Fallout, I'm sure I read somewhere the other day that you could play Fallout 2 on DOSBox despite it not being a DOS game. It may just have been wishful thinking though because I can't find any information now. Does anyone here know if it's possible? I haven't played it since switching to Linux :-(
That is probably false.
AFAIK, "Fallout 1" was released in both "DOS" and "Windows 95" versions, so technically one can play "Fallout 1" in DOSBox. I have not heard about DOS version of F2 though.

That is not needed though. F2 works flawlessly in WINE since… since I have switched in 2008 at least. ;-)

EDIT:
Or maybe it can have some merit… Technically speaking, there is nothing exceptional in MZ/PE hybrid EXE's. They were around the time of transition from pure DOS to Windows, so, maybe F1/F2 executables are of this hybrid mix. Needs further investigation. :-)
Post edited January 13, 2020 by Alm888
Alm888: Or maybe it can have some merit… Technically speaking, there is nothing exceptional in MZ/PE hybrid EXE's. They were around the time of transition from pure DOS to Windows, so, maybe F1/F2 executables are of this hybrid mix. Needs further investigation. :-)
Hmm, that's interesting.

I've yet to try running anything in WINE since I find it so confusing! Really missing Foobar2000 though and I've got a bunch of other Win only games so I guess I'll have to try it.
HappyPunkPotato: I've yet to try running anything in WINE since I find it so confusing! Really missing Foobar2000 though and I've got a bunch of other Win only games so I guess I'll have to try it.
There is nothing difficult, really. Just install WINE (using package manager would be the smpliest method), go to the game (or game installer) directory in the console (or open the console from your file manager in that directory) and type:
$ wine Fallout2.exe
That's it. :-)

For maximum compatibility you can ensure 32bit mode by using a variable:
$ env WINEARCH='win32' wine Fallout2.exe
Or even make custom "prefix" (dedicated directory containing application-tailored "fake-Windows" copy with additional DLL-s and settings) by using something like this:
$ env WINEPREFIX=/home/<username>/WINE_FOR_FALLOUT2/ WINEARCH='win32' wine Fallout2.exe
Needless to say, said "/home/<username>/WINE_FOR_FALLOUT2/" directory should exist.

What is really funny, though, is that the game itself is not obliged to be placed in there. :-) From WINE's perspective everything inside that directory is treated like contents of disks "C:", "D:" etc., while everything outside it (by default) is still accessible through "Z:" disk containing pretty much all filesystem starting from root ("/"). Thus, WINE should never be used as "sandbox" for viruses -- a Windows program running with WINE is still able to access all Linux filesystem.

That's for starters. You can create a "*.desktop" shortcut to launch the game without console right from your desktop.

EDIT:
On the second thought, no you won't be able to play vanilla F2 out of the box. There are several reasons:
1) F2 is an old game. It forces your desktop resolution to 800x600 and WINE will change it. But after it will crash (see below), WINE won't revert it back so you will be left with an interesting minigame "Try to Restore Desktop Resolution While None of the Windows Fit Into Screen". :-) Alt+LEFT_MOUSE_GRAB is your friend (just in case);
2) F2 is an old game. It requires 8bit color mode and (last I've checked) WINE is not able to change color depth. Thus, the game will crash.

Given all of this, A Hi-Res Patch with switching to DX8 mode is in order. And, probably, "sfall" as well. But I believe this is basic knowledge for any modern "Fallout 2" player. :D

Also, WINE virtual desktop (see "$ wine winecfg.exe") might come in handy.
Post edited January 13, 2020 by Alm888
Alm888: ...
Thanks for the description. I'd forgotten about all the fun of applying patches so the game wasn't psychedelic with the car boot following you round everywhere :-D

From what I've read it seems that the GOG version comes with sfall and the high res patch.
HappyPunkPotato: From what I've read it seems that the GOG version comes with sfall and the high res patch.
There's even a Linux wrapper from adamhm available for the Fallout games if you do not want to bother with Wine yourself.
low rated
Thanks for the description. I'd forgotten about all the fun of applying patches so the game wasn't psychedelic with the car boot following you round everywhere.
eiii: There's even a Linux wrapper from adamhm available for the Fallout games if you do not want to bother with Wine yourself.
Thanks, that seems like something I should be able to try to start my WINE journey! No idea why I always think it looks so tricky and put off looking into it.
eiii: There's even a Linux wrapper from adamhm available for the Fallout games if you do not want to bother with Wine yourself.
HappyPunkPotato: Thanks, that seems like something I should be able to try to start my WINE journey! No idea why I always think it looks so tricky and put off looking into it.
It *is* a bit tricky, especially compared to regular packages installed from your distribution repository (in this regard even native linux installer downloaded from GOG is somewhat tricky, but at least I can easily install game binaries outside of my regular /usr/local/bin to the secondary HDD mounted in my /home folder, which is actually good bonus for my use-case).

The issue I have with wine is that often some game requires different set of extras than other, so using wine-prefix environments per-game is advised (doesn't even eat into disk space that quickly, each prefix is quite minimal while empty, not even near as bad as VM images with pre-allocated size).

And the second issue is, that by default wine is not sandbox, quite opposite, any exe by default in wine has good access to all your linux FS with the rights of your current user, i.e. it can for example delete your whole $HOME directory under normal circumstances (near impossible to happen by accident, but if somebody will give you malicious exe which will expect the wine environment, it can be done easily).

So my default config of wine locks these auto-mapped drives to everywhere, but that breaks many other helper scripts and common internet advice how-to, and I use wine so rarely, that I often forget how did I set it up, and how to use it in my current setup...

So after couple of years I started to avoid wine usage completely... :D But YMMV, there're are many other options, you can either ignore the (tiny) risk and keep using wine as is, or you can create different user account just for playing wine games (the new user can by default damage only his own $HOME, not your primary user), etc... depends how you use your machine, and how paranoid you are.

(one can also run whole another linux inside VM and inside that wine, to sandbox it, but then the question is why not to run whole windows inside VM, so this is whole idea is just joke)
Post edited January 16, 2020 by ped7g