It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Winterborn: Basically wondering... the old dos based games on here are pre set up to run on modern systems using dosbox, right?
Themken: Correct

Winterborn: I also know old windows games can run on linux via dosbox as it emulates the necessary environment....(although using dosbox in windows is so much easier and straightforward , I'm still trying to figure it out in linux)
Themken: Not really correct unless you mean Windows 3.11 or older. For running games made for Windows, you want Wine and possibly other programs as well like DXVK.

Winterborn: So....is there any way to make games like the KQ series on here to run on linux even if they are listed as windows only by accessing and changing the dosbox commands used? Or...no?
Themken: Yes, two ways but both demand that you have some understanding on how DOSBox works. Read up here: https://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html

So the two (or three) ways would be either unpacking the Windows installer with Innoextract or, less neat, installing it in Wine in Linux and then moving it to where you want ( like /home) or just playing it in Wine.
Ok, will take a look, thankyou for the help and info. :)
Any benchmarks to test gaming capability on Linux? I know some games come with in-game benchmarks and guess they are just perfect. Just cannot remember other games than Firestarter but that one is a bit too old as does it really matter if it runs at 300 or 400 F/s?
Themken: Any benchmarks to test gaming capability on Linux? I know some games come with in-game benchmarks and guess they are just perfect. Just cannot remember other games than Firestarter but that one is a bit too old as does it really matter if it runs at 300 or 400 F/s?
I use GALLIUM_HUD, VK_LAYER_MESA_overlay and DXVK_HUD for that purpose.
Post edited October 20, 2019 by shmerl
shmerl: I use GALLIUM_HUD, VK_LAYER_MESA_overlay and DXVK_HUD for that purpose.
Thanks! Will see if I can manage to install these. Just curious what kind of a bump in performance I am getting.
Themken: Thanks! Will see if I can manage to install these. Just curious what kind of a bump in performance I am getting.
Just to clarify, you don't need to install them. GALLIUM_HUD, VK_LAYER_MESA_overlay are part of Mesa, and DXVK_HUD is built in feature in dxvk. So it should be available out of the box for AMD users at least.

Nvidia users have harder time, at least with OpenGL, due to them not being part of Gallium3D. VK_LAYER_MESA_overlay and DXVK_HUD will work for Nvidia blob as well though.

Some references:

* VK_LAYER_MESA_overlay.
* DXVK_HUD (works both for dxvk and d9vk).
* GALLIUM_HUD
Post edited October 23, 2019 by shmerl
shmerl:
Oh I see. I did not use Linux much on my desktop, mainly on laptops without graphics cards. Now I have a lot to learn.
low rated
AndrewMartin: Sorry if this has been covered in one of the previous 71 pages, but I'm finding that I can play all the games I want to play through wine if I run the installer every time, and click "launch game" after the installation. So really, I'm quite happy with that situation, as it's a fairly minor inconvenience, but I can't work out how to make the games work though wine without re-installing.

Does anyone have tip on this specific case? I've tried copying the important params from the desktop link and the launcher in the installation directory, but I've had no luck so far.

(FWIW, here are the games I currently have installed Banished, 'Interstate 76', 'Lands Of Lore', 'Legend of Kyrandia - Hand of Fate', LIMBO, 'Might and Magic 7', 'Mini Metro', 'Monkey Island 1 SE', 'Space Quest 4', 'Space Quest 5,' 'Torchlight 2', 'Ultima Underworld')
and totally separate the game+dependencies from the software of your base system just doesn't work that well in practice. Which is not so much a problem as long as the base systems are still relatively similar. But since you specifically asked about long-term preservation, like 15 years, I still believe the form of packaging doesn't really solve that issue.
https://elecpay.in/tneb/ https://birthdaywishes.onl/ https://myip.kim/
Post edited October 23, 2019 by JANCYBEN
Why did GOG make their folder "GOG Games" with a space in them?! Grr! I admit, it is a tiny thing but still.
Themken: Why did GOG make their folder "GOG Games" with a space in them?! Grr! I admit, it is a tiny thing but still.
Yeah, I never use their default location anyway. Everything goes in $HOME/games/some_game. No spaces naturally, all lower case.
shmerl:
I tried getting it to work with "" marks but no, it still faults when it does not read past /GOG.

EDIT: Guess I can tell that I got my games working by removing all spaces. Some distros do not like spaces in path names, be it folders or file names with them in.
Post edited October 27, 2019 by Themken
Is there somewhere a list of games which may (at least for some people) work under Linux without them having an officially supported Linux version?

I know there is a list here https://www.gog.com/forum/general/adamhms_linux_wine_wrappers_news_faq_discussion/post3 but this looks rather like a "sure to run" list and its rather short compared to the number of games on GOG now.
SStefania: You can find more answers and technical help in our General Linux Troubleshooting FAQ!
The link doesnt work for me. It redirects to https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us instead.

Edit: And I get the impression that Mint support has been dropped. Where can I find some updated information about GOG vs Linux?
Post edited October 31, 2019 by Zrevnur
Zrevnur:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_judas_does_this_run_in_wine_thread_v1173

Official Linux support on GOG.com is minimal.
Post edited October 31, 2019 by Themken
Themken: Thanks! Will see if I can manage to install these. Just curious what kind of a bump in performance I am getting.
shmerl: Just to clarify, you don't need to install them. GALLIUM_HUD, VK_LAYER_MESA_overlay are part of Mesa, and DXVK_HUD is built in feature in dxvk. So it should be available out of the box for AMD users at least.

Nvidia users have harder time, at least with OpenGL, due to them not being part of Gallium3D. VK_LAYER_MESA_overlay and DXVK_HUD will work for Nvidia blob as well though.

Some references:

* VK_LAYER_MESA_overlay.
* DXVK_HUD (works both for dxvk and d9vk).
* GALLIUM_HUD
About the bolded part: Is this a general thing that Nvidia is bad on a Linux gaming machine? Probably due to no open source drivers? What kind of gfx card do I optimally get? My priorities are in this order:
1. Reliability - it should last as long as possible not have a 50% chance to drop dead after 1 year of gaming
2. Compatibility (GOG games mostly)
3. Performance
Thx.
Themken: Official Linux support on GOG.com is minimal.
Anybody made a ticket or sth to complain about this? At least they should update the stickied post here...
Post edited October 31, 2019 by Zrevnur
Zrevnur: About the bolded part: Is this a general thing that Nvidia is bad on a Linux gaming machine? Probably due to no open source drivers?
Yes, exactly. Nvidia has poor integration with Linux graphics stack and tools due to their driver not being upstreamed.

Zrevnur: What kind of gfx card do I optimally get? My priorities are in this order:
1. Reliability - it should last as long as possible not have a 50% chance to drop dead after 1 year of gaming
2. Compatibility (GOG games mostly)
3. Performance
Get Sapphire Pulse Vega 56. It's very good for gaming. If you need higher performance, you can to with Navi cards (Sapphire Pulse / Nitro RX 5700 XT or so), but their situation is less stable now, due them being still recent. It takes time for kernel and Mesa to stabilize that.
Post edited November 01, 2019 by shmerl
Zrevnur: About the bolded part: Is this a general thing that Nvidia is bad on a Linux gaming machine?
No. NVidia is better for gaming overall. Its weak parts (like Wayland support, initrd integration or Optimus technology on notebooks) have nothing to do with gaming.
Zrevnur: Probably due to no open source drivers?
NVidia provides excellent closed source drivers in time. That should be enough.
Zrevnur: What kind of gfx card do I optimally get? My priorities are in this order:
Go nVidia. Even 10 year cards are still supported.
Zrevnur: 2. Compatibility (GOG games mostly)
Go nVidia. Some (hastily ported) games, like "Divinity: Original Sin", do not work on AMD cards.
Zrevnur: 3. Performance
As you have already guessed it, go nVidia. :) It provides the most performative cards (like RTX 2080Ti) and quality drivers to boot (in order to provide the exact same level of performance as on Windows™). And if you want the most performance per watt, nVidia also wins here.

Personally I have settled for "GTX 1660Ti". I don't believe in ray-tracing for now (even if if technically works on Linux, I don't know any games that use it).

Simply put, nVidia "Just Works"™ while with AMD you are pretty much obliged to learn how to compile Mesa and LLVM (I don't even know what it is! :D ) from Git repository, to install custom-built beta kernel and, most importantly, how to wait. Navi cards are not supported even now! while some cards like "Radeon VII" are already discontinued (to be manufactured).