It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

kdgog: Ah, I see the difference between https://www.gog.com/game/kingdom_rush and https://www.gog.com/game/kingdom_rush_origins in the Linux specs section. One has a scary list of files (the one that didn't work). It's a shame it is only on the store page - I don't see that when I go to purchased games and download an executable. Some of my games don't even have store pages any more, e.g. when a GOG game stops being sold, or gets a change of distributor, meaning that info might disappear.
It's not too difficult to work out what's needed once you're more familiar with things. Plus as Ganni1987 said, most games use a limited selection of common libraries (looking at the list given on the store page for Kingdom Rush, those are all commonly used libraries) so it makes sense to simply install those soon after performing a fresh install - this is partly the intention behind my common dependencies meta-package; it makes it easy to install them all in one go.

kdgog: I'm still not sure why - if the files are needed - they're not just added to the download, as happens with Windows games?
This is because it is best to use the versions of those libraries provided by the system; it would be possible to include them with the games, but this could cause compatibility issues as not everyone uses Ubuntu-based distros and it could cause compatibility issues with later versions, in addition to increasing the download size.

The Steam Runtime works around this to an extent by bundling a large number of libraries (it's a bit like having a very basic Ubuntu install with all of the common packages installed).

kdgog: Mint was one of the three Linux versions I considered trying, but I got put off by the three versions. I couldn't find lists of which were best on what specs, and what the real differences were. I wanted to install Linux on more than one machine so just went for Zorin in the end because it looked most similar to Windows 7 and I could just get one install file on a bootable USB, rather than needing different ones for different computers.
The difference between them is just the desktop environment/GUI, which is largely a matter of personal preference so it doesn't really matter all that much. Regardless of which version you choose you're not committed to any desktop environment since you can install a different one afterwards (you can have multiple DEs installed at the same time & select which to use at login).

As for performance, even the heaviest of Linux desktop environments are less resource-intensive than Windows so that shouldn't be too big a concern :)
Post edited August 22, 2019 by adamhm
It should be possible to make an installer that pulls all the needed libraries but as you have to code it for a bunch of different distribution systems and keep updating it for what is a fairly small userbase, I would at least not do that for a niche program like a game. I guess you can just do it for a single system (Ubuntu seems to be the pick for most here).

Hopefully I have understood correctly how this works.
Post edited August 22, 2019 by Themken
Themken: It should be possible to make an installer that pulls all the needed libraries but as you have to code it for a bunch of different distribution systems and keep updating it for what is a fairly small userbase,
I don't think it's a good idea due to distros having differnet packaging details and focus on installer not modifying the system really. Installing needed dependencies is not a hard task for the user, especially when they are explicitly listed on the game page.
shmerl:
I know of the differences as I have used Mint and Manjaro. So one should NOT make installers that modify the system? I wish Civilization 2 would have followed that advice... so I guess I can see some reasons.
Themken: So one should NOT make installers that modify the system?
I prefer this to be reserved to system packages that come from the repo. Stuff that modifies the system installed from external sources is always more problematic so not a good idea. That's why game installers shouldn't run under sudo and if system needs modification, should simply inform the user what's needed rather than implicitly change stuff.

Windows world is used to random installers modifying who knows what, and the result is a mess.
Post edited August 23, 2019 by shmerl
shmerl:
Themken: I know of the differences as I have used Mint and Manjaro. So one should NOT make installers that modify the system? I wish Civilization 2 would have followed that advice... so I guess I can see some reasons.
I gave up on Linux sadly because of the frequent problems. It a shame because I would love to get away from Windows.
Pops78: I gave up on Linux sadly because of the frequent problems. It a shame because I would love to get away from Windows.
Mmmm… Cool, I guess…

Now, what problem with your Linux install do yo want to solve? After all, something motivated you to post in the "General Linux FAQ and Troubleshooting" thread. Right?
hmm.. I don't know, I have minimal issues with linux, most of my issues are with HW vendors not having high quality open source driver available, and sometimes I have few bugs here and there as I'm sailing on latest development versions of KDE5, but in the recent years it went even that far, that most of the SW I use is rock solid (so I don't even need any updates for it).

But considering the site where I am posting this... I don't play recent games, so I pretty much don't have any issues like proton/wine/etc.. if you are avid gamer, YMMV. But for serious work and as desktop computer, I have hard time to imagine what is problematic with linux, if you pay at least some attention to what HW you are buying. It was never as perfect as today...
Pops78: I gave up on Linux sadly because of the frequent problems. It a shame because I would love to get away from Windows.
Linux got a lot better indeed in the recent years. What problems are you having?
Seek the means defined here to review the most broadly known system issues with Linux cloud servers.

Check your system setup. ...

Check the system setup document. ...

Check the servers DNS records. ...

Test the association the two different ways. ...

Discover where the association falls flat. ...

Firewall settings. ...

Host status data.
Themken: So one should NOT make installers that modify the system?
shmerl: I prefer this to be reserved to system packages that come from the repo. Stuff that modifies the system installed from external sources is always more problematic so not a good idea. That's why game installers shouldn't run under sudo and if system needs modification, should simply inform the user what's needed rather than implicitly change stuff.

Windows world is used to random installers modifying who knows what, and the result is a mess.
I recently learned about snap packages, which to my understanding are self-contained, include the exact dependencies that the program/game needs, work on all major Linux distributions and don't touch rest of the system.

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/snap-vs-deb-package

Today I installed the Snap Store on my home Linux Mint system and installed C&C: Red Alert and Tiberian Sun from it (these games seemed to install WINE so I guess they are based on the Windows version?), and at least Red Alert worked great.

Could e.g. GOG release Linux games using snap packages? To me snap packages sound like the perfect solution to all those issues "not right libraries/dependencies/blaa blaa blaa" and uninstalling the game should be fully clean too as rest of the system wasn't altered with the installation of the software to begin with. Oh and GOG could support most Linux distributions (all those which support snap packages), instead of just e.g. Ubuntu.

Is it possible to create fully standalone .snap installation packages that one can install offline? A bit like you can install software using .deb packages, but with dependencies included and containerized?

I am increasingly now using Linux as I found a way to even do my work from the home Linux machine (openfortivpn for a VPN connection to work, Remmina works great for a remote desktop connection, Linux version of Skype works just fine (I use it to communicate with my colleagues), LibreOffice is compatible enough with MS Office for my needs etc. Basically, I need Windows only for those games that don't work on Linux, all other stuff I nowadays do on Linux.
Post edited September 23, 2019 by timppu
Oh, Snap Store even has GOG Galaxy. :) Apparently it is the Windows version running through WINE.
Attachments:
Post edited September 23, 2019 by timppu
timppu: I recently learned about snap packages, which to my understanding are self-contained, include the exact dependencies that the program/game needs, work on all major Linux distributions and don't touch rest of the system.

Is it possible to create fully standalone .snap installation packages that one can install offline? A bit like you can install software using .deb packages, but with dependencies included and containerized?
You may be interested in "flatpak" also. It is similar to snaps. I am not saying one or the other is better. Just two similar packaging solutions by different developers.

Also, linux containers actually exist. The project/package is called "LXC". They are interesting in that they can run anything from a single application or service to a full linux distrobution.

Regards
timppu: Could e.g. GOG release Linux games using snap packages? To me snap packages sound like the perfect solution to all those issues "not right libraries/dependencies/blaa blaa blaa" and uninstalling the game should be fully clean too as rest of the system wasn't altered with the installation of the software to begin with. Oh and GOG could support most Linux distributions (all those which support snap packages), instead of just e.g. Ubuntu.
is snap really that widely supported ?
yes, that's from last year. And I admit I never really bothered to look into it, but I always had the impression that snap mostly was Ubuntu's little pet project, and not really used by many people outside of the ubuntu bubble,
immi101: yes, that's from last year. And I admit I never really bothered to look into it, but I always had the impression that snap mostly was Ubuntu's little pet project, and not really used by many people outside of the ubuntu bubble,
I am not really familiar with Flatpak, so I take it it offers similar features (software installation which is sandboxed/containerized, including the needed dependencies, etc.)?

Googling even more, is AppImage a third contender for the same? And by this comparison, it is AppImage which would offer what I was looking for (option for fully offline, standalone, installation of the software package (in fact it doesn't even "install" anything), whereas snap and flatpak want to be online in case they need to download some missing stuff)?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/866511/what-are-the-differences-between-snaps-appimage-flatpak-and-others

https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/Similar-projects#comparison

https://appimage.org/

Still trying to learn more about these newer alternatives to rpm/deb...
Post edited September 24, 2019 by timppu