It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Stooner: I don't know how the sale works, but "Mutant Colossus from Outer Space" looks pretty good!
Off Topic:
Wow. I had no idea that the "Giant Woman" genre had gone mainstream enough to warrant a game. I've heard there's lots of videos, though. For those unsure of the genre, one would fantasize about getting stomped, flicked, thrown, spun, folded or mutilated by a giant woman (I'm guessing while watching a video). This particular game appears to be a MoCap platformer with arcade type action sequences.

Back OT:
New on the sale page (maybe):
That Dick Trying To Steal Our Gold (???)
You are not a banana: Chapter 1 (RPG? Adventure?)
Metagolf (Wasn't that called SimGolf?)
Altitude 0: Lower & Faster (Sim)
and Deity Quest (RPG?)

Any recommendations?
Grargar: No such warnings should be uttered without the necessary story to accompany them.
Beware Shady Key Resellers and Discount Steam Keys
Yeah, be wary of shady publishers who plant misleading stories should be the honest response to that link. The headline talks about key resellers but the story contains so many omissions that it is impossible to say what happened. They say, "In fact, we were charged a fee by the card issuer for the charge-back. For these 1,341 keys, these fees totaled around $30,000." However, the story never actually mentions how many of these 1,341 keys were actually resold. It just simply states they are the result of "chargebacks". But the mere existence of a chargeback is not evidence that the key was ever resold--it's not even proof that fraud was involved. The story omits the reasons why those chargeback happened, which could be any of a dozen different reasons that are allowed by a credit card processor. Finally, the story says nothing about their actual fraud rate. If they sold 10,000 keys and 13% were fraudulent that would be a big deal. On the other hand if they sold 100K keys and 1.3% were fraudulent that would be low.

So the article fails to establish any connection between chargbacks and resellers or between chargebacks and fraud. It also fails to give the readers any genuine sense of the magnitude of the problem. So it a useless article.
Build a Rockstar Bundle. http://www.gamersgate.com/rockstar

O.T.: Does anyone know when Rockstar dropped and GameShield and SecuROM in favor of Steam on GamersGate?
Lugamo: O.T.: Does anyone know when Rockstar dropped and GameShield and SecuROM in favor of Steam on GamersGate?
The change occurred on May 13th.

Unfortunately, GamersGate is not authorized to supply Steam keys to customers who bought the old, non-Steam versions of these games. I suppose one could always ask Rockstar directly, though.
Post edited May 31, 2014 by Psyringe
Lugamo: O.T.: Does anyone know when Rockstar dropped and GameShield and SecuROM in favor of Steam on GamersGate?
Psyringe: The change occurred on May 13th.

Unfortunately, GamersGate is not authorized to supply Steam keys to customers who bought the old, non-Steam versions of these games. I suppose one could always ask Rockstar directly, though.
Thank you. I really wanted to buy Steam-less versions of those games.
Lugamo: Thank you. I really wanted to buy Steam-less versions of those games.
I think in these cases the Steam version might actually be preferable, as the previous DRM of these games had compatibility issues, and could get quite messy. Steam at least doesn't require customers to install several external DRM updates before the game can even be installed correctly. ;)
Grargar: No such warnings should be uttered without the necessary story to accompany them.
worlddan: Yeah, be wary of shady publishers who plant misleading stories should be the honest response to that link. The headline talks about key resellers but the story contains so many omissions that it is impossible to say what happened. They say, "In fact, we were charged a fee by the card issuer for the charge-back. For these 1,341 keys, these fees totaled around $30,000." However, the story never actually mentions how many of these 1,341 keys were actually resold. It just simply states they are the result of "chargebacks". But the mere existence of a chargeback is not evidence that the key was ever resold--it's not even proof that fraud was involved. The story omits the reasons why those chargeback happened, which could be any of a dozen different reasons that are allowed by a credit card processor. Finally, the story says nothing about their actual fraud rate. If they sold 10,000 keys and 13% were fraudulent that would be a big deal. On the other hand if they sold 100K keys and 1.3% were fraudulent that would be low.

So the article fails to establish any connection between chargbacks and resellers or between chargebacks and fraud. It also fails to give the readers any genuine sense of the magnitude of the problem. So it a useless article.
I'm pretty sure the statement was in part the result of the outburst on the forums of people's keys not working anymore, and a lot of those were bought from 3rd party sites. That's how I remember it anyway. But yeah just taking that statement in itself I can see why you might think that.
worlddan: Yeah, be wary of shady publishers who plant misleading stories should be the honest response to that link.
Unknown Worlds is a small Indie developer who probably don't have the resources to provide the information that you perceive as missing. On the other hand, it's debatable whether they really need to prove the obvious - though, granted, whether or not these things are "obvious" may depend on one's involvement/insight in the industry. In any case, I wouldn't call the devs "shady" or the story "misleading" based on that article.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your level of expertise with digital distribution of computer games? Please do not perceive this as an attack on your statements, it's just that they are the kind of statements which which I'd expect from an analytic mind that's well-versed in evaluating a line of argument, but may not have personal expertise with the problem at hand.

worlddan: However, the story never actually mentions how many of these 1,341 keys were actually resold. It just simply states they are the result of "chargebacks". But the mere existence of a chargeback is not evidence that the key was ever resold--it's not even proof that fraud was involved. The story omits the reasons why those chargeback happened, which could be any of a dozen different reasons that are allowed by a credit card processor.
Well, which reasons would you expect to come up in a significant number that are not fraud in one way or another?

Digital downloads of games are a business that, as far as I'm aware, is massively targeted by fraudsters. The vast majority of charge-backs in this business are due to "unauthorized transaction" (i.e., someone else obtained the credit card info and used it). Then there's a much smaller group of charge-backs due to customers feeling entitled to a refund but not getting one from the shop - whether this constitutes fraud depends on the perspective, but in any case, it should be obvious that those customers can't expect to retain a valid and usable key if they retract their money. The frequency of all other charge-back reasons is negligible compared to those two. So which ones do you expect that are non-fraud?

Regarding the "lack of proof" that those keys were resold - well, the situation is like this: Imagine you are an indie developer who sees that fraudsters have obtained keys for your games. You also see that keys for your game are popping up at "CD key stores" that you never authorized to sell them. Furthermore, you know that the bigger publishers have already proven the connection between fraudulent purchases and those "CD key stores". So what do you need to still prove? You are deactivating the keys that you know to have been obtained fraudulently (because you've seen the charge-backs in your shop), and you warn your customers not to buy keys at unauthorized shops (which are known to be offering fraudulently obtained keys).

The part they may not be that obvious to the public is that the connection between fraud and "CD key stores" is well-established already, or is at least seen that way in the industry. Contrary to popular belief, publishers are not completely stupid. ;) The bigger publishers did of course notice that there are lots of "CD key stores" selling their games and undercutting the market price, and they have the resources to buy a couple of those keys. Then they can cross-check them with the keys that the distributors sent them as fraudulently obtained, and - surprise! - there's a match.

As said above, this connection is - to my knowledge - established fact within the industry. It's not that well-known outside of it though. The publisher don't wildly publish this information, mostly because doing so would not only warn about these semi-legal shops, but also advertise them to customers who never heard about them before and who might be willing to take the risk. Rather, the publishers' preferred method of dealing with "serial key fraud" is to drown out the ecosystem that makes this particular type of fraud so easy. That's why we're seeing a push to key-less systems lately - Steam already implemented theirs, Humble and IndieGala already use it, other stores will follow, and Origin/Uplay seem to be working on their own key-less systems (though I'm not sure how reliable that last bit of info is, it seems very plausible though).

worlddan: Finally, the story says nothing about their actual fraud rate.
That's correct, but not relevant for the warning about buying from "CD key stores", is it?
Question to you guys,

PSN has a sale for several games and two I am considering are XCom enemy within for 9.99 euros and F1 2012 for about 4.
Do you guys think they are worth the asking price?
trusteft: Question to you guys,

PSN has a sale for several games and two I am considering are XCom enemy within for 9.99 euros and F1 2012 for about 4.
All I can say is X-Com the Enemy Within was recently 50% off on steam for £9.99,
You would be paying less than that (assuming £=€ does NOT apply).
So less than 50% of standard price.
trusteft: Question to you guys,

Rodzaju: All I can say is X-Com the Enemy Within was recently 50% off on steam for £9.99,
You would be paying less than that (assuming £=€ does NOT apply).
So less than 50% of standard price.
Thanks.
Psyringe: The change occurred on May 13th.

Lugamo: Thank you. I really wanted to buy Steam-less versions of those games.
Believe me, you don't want GameShield.
50% Off You Are Not A Banana on Desura! May 30th to June 1st (2 days)

You Are Not A Banana is an adventure game set in everyday life that has a sprinkle of imagination and humor. The story unfolds as a sequence of thought provoking events but I don't want to ruin any surprises.

PC Pick on IndieGames the Weblog

“Offers some of the most original humor I’ve seen in a video game” - IndieLove

“The soundtrack is brilliant” - 7/10 Spaziogames

“A great diversion when you need to crack a smile and feel like it’s 1985” - Jayisgames

“A pretty hilarious trip” - Le Mag
briancullen: 50% Off You Are Not A Banana on Desura! May 30th to June 1st (2 days)
The developer has a very similar name.
Post edited May 31, 2014 by Smannesman
briancullen: 50% Off You Are Not A Banana on Desura! May 30th to June 1st (2 days)
Smannesman: The developer has a very similar name.
If by similar you actually mean exactly the same.