It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated

We are going to pass on GOG and I'll tell you why. Steam uses DRM--Digital Rights Management--for a reason. It helps cut down on piracy. GOG is DRM free and that troubles me. Most of our PC users use Steam and don't seem to be unhappy. So I think we are better off staying with Steam and, at least for now, giving GOG a pass.
So they are literally putting their faith on something that the average user can bypass as long he know how to use steam emus?

I'm baffled by such idiocity.

I "love" how corporations or small teams decide to focus on piracy instead of the actual market.
Post edited March 01, 2020 by Kyousuke.
high rated

Steam uses DRM--Digital Rights Management--for a reason. It helps cut down on piracy.
Except it doesn't.

GOG is DRM free and that troubles me.
"I don't trust my paying customers so I will give them an inferior product than the one pirates get".

Steam uses DRM--Digital Rights Management--for a reason. It helps cut down on piracy.
ConsulCaesar: Except it doesn't.

GOG is DRM free and that troubles me.
ConsulCaesar: "I don't trust my paying customers so I will give them an inferior product than the one pirates get".
I know, right? This sounded more of a polite excuse instead of "fuck off, we are too lazy for developing a GOG build".

The bright side is that I can blacklist such devs and publishers.
Kyousuke.: The bright side is that I can blacklist such devs and publishers.
Hear, hear. Should give everyone asking for those expansions a damn good reason to STOP wanting (to pay for) them. Or at least only pester them about it, as there's absolutely no justification for asking GOG, or Redshift for that matter, to bring to GOG content developed by a different developer that has a firm and spelled out stance directly against the only remaining value GOG has.
zazak09: Response from Zarista Games

We are going to pass on GOG and I'll tell you why. Steam uses DRM--Digital Rights Management--for a reason. It helps cut down on piracy. GOG is DRM free and that troubles me. Most of our PC users use Steam and don't seem to be unhappy. So I think we are better off staying with Steam and, at least for now, giving GOG a pass.
zazak09: So even if Redshift could bring the unofficial expansions over, Zarista Games wouldn't let them.
Wow, the messages in the link look like the delusions of a disturbed mind that has lost contact with reality.
Blackdrazon: Like the OP says, the most recent changelog is hotfix3.
I know it has been (quite) a while since you posted this, but I've recently contacted the developer of the game and was told that GOG had their own fix for the mouse issue, and even though the version numbers do not match, the game should be up-to-date on GOG.
Unfortunately I do not own the game so I can't check - if you (or anyone else who owns URU: Complete Chronicles) could check whether you experience any of the issues mentioned here, that would be very helpful.
zazak09: Most of our PC users use Steam and don't seem to be unhappy.
Unfortunately, that statement is 100% true, and it is precisely why GOG customers get treated like second-class citizens constantly, and also why GOG is a very tiny store when compared vs. Steam.

Most PC gamers don't care about DRM, and they especially don't care about Steam DRM, which in turn leads to most devs not caring one iota about GOG.
Post edited March 01, 2020 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
ConsulCaesar: Except it doesn't.

"I don't trust my paying customers so I will give them an inferior product than the one pirates get".
Kyousuke.: I know, right? This sounded more of a polite excuse instead of "fuck off, we are too lazy for developing a GOG build".

The bright side is that I can blacklist such devs and publishers.
I went to see what that guy was on about and I can't believe that on his last entry, he actually quoted an over 3 years old post (link below) :"if a game is released here on GOG it'll be on most pirate sites within 30 minutes to an hour."

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/should_i_start_buying_games_on_gog_vs_steam/post18

WTF??!!! That guy either is taking the piss, or he really needs to be educated on the fact that, oh shock horror, DRMed games too get pirated the hell out of them and this, way before GOG even existed!
Has anybody talked more in-depth with Zarista? Somebody could, or we just leave it up to GOG.
Cavalary: Hear, hear. Should give everyone asking for those expansions a damn good reason to STOP wanting (to pay for) them. Or at least only pester them about it, as there's absolutely no justification for asking GOG, or Redshift for that matter, to bring to GOG content developed by a different developer that has a firm and spelled out stance directly against the only remaining value GOG has.
I partly agree with you, but the thing is: while there is no justification GOG wise, GOG should "enforce" more any publisher or indie dev team for version parity; nowadays buying games on GOG can be a double edged sword, if you want the complete experience with no BS. Just looking at the 2nd citizen treatment spreadsheet should give you an idea.

Another issue is that, while you are right in saying that we shouldn't even waste time when hearing this statement from a publisher or dev team for a game we already own, but which lacks content compared to its steam version, keep in mind that depsite all that, there are people who want to get at least all the content for the aforementioned purchased game, and they have all reasons for wanting so.

Flyingfluffypiglet: WTF??!!! That guy either is taking the piss, or he really needs to be educated on the fact that, oh shock horror, DRMed games too get pirated the hell out of them and this, way before GOG even existed!
I'm honestly speachless, especially because when you are a dev, you HAVE a clear idea of what piracy is, how it works, and how to counter it with a better customer service than snake oil tactics.

Taken from steamworks toolkit page: "The Steam DRM wrapper by itself is not an anti-piracy solution. The Steam DRM wrapper protects against extremely casual piracy (i.e. copying all game files to another computer)", which NO SANE person would do, due to manifest and other files which may contain personal info about their steam account, if they don't know what to do with them.

To add insult to the injury, why should somebody bother to do so, when they can easily grab a torrent of x game... it's like these people know nothing about all of this, which I honestly still don't believe and I still think that all of this is just a big excuse because they can't be arsed to provide a GOG build.
Flyingfluffypiglet: I went to see what that guy was on about and I can't believe that on his last entry, he actually quoted an over 3 years old post (link below) :"if a game is released here on GOG it'll be on most pirate sites within 30 minutes to an hour."

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/should_i_start_buying_games_on_gog_vs_steam/post18

WTF??!!! That guy either is taking the piss, or he really needs to be educated on the fact that, oh shock horror, DRMed games too get pirated the hell out of them and this, way before GOG even existed!
Sounds like a plan. When in a corner, pick a random post of a random someone saying a random something and present it as a 100% irrefutable fact to double down on your position.
Post edited March 02, 2020 by Grargar
Kyousuke.: I partly agree with you, but the thing is: while there is no justification GOG wise, GOG should "enforce" more any publisher or indie dev team for version parity; nowadays buying games on GOG can be a double edged sword, if you want the complete experience with no BS. Just looking at the 2nd citizen treatment spreadsheet should give you an idea.

Another issue is that, while you are right in saying that we shouldn't even waste time when hearing this statement from a publisher or dev team for a game we already own, but which lacks content compared to its steam version, keep in mind that depsite all that, there are people who want to get at least all the content for the aforementioned purchased game, and they have all reasons for wanting so.
And I would agree with you, but in this case it IS version parity, as far as Redshift is concerned. Their game and their expansion is on GOG, what another dev does is outside the scope of the agreement between them and GOG. And I'd ask those who want all 3rd party content made by devs with a firm stance against the only thing GOG still stands for more than they want to, well, still stand for that one thing, why do they care to obtain said content here?
Kyousuke.: GOG should "enforce" more any publisher or indie dev team for version parity; nowadays buying games on GOG can be a double edged sword
Yeah, 1000+ votes by now and this still happens :\
No more outdated or abandoned games.
tfishell: Has anybody talked more in-depth with Zarista? Somebody could, or we just leave it up to GOG.
Yes, in the thread I linked someone spoke with them, that’s how we got the answer. I put a ticket in with gog but obviously they can’t say much.
Kyousuke.: GOG should "enforce" more any publisher or indie dev team for version parity; nowadays buying games on GOG can be a double edged sword
phaolo: Yeah, 1000+ votes by now and this still happens :\
No more outdated or abandoned games.
The wishlist item is about as naive and simplistic as

"No more wars, ever, anywhere! Only peace! I mean, how hard can it be? Just don't do war, mmmmkay?"

Everything seems so simple...
Post edited March 02, 2020 by timppu