It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Detroit: Become Human is the best game which I played this year, although I would not call it a game, but rather strong emotional experience. Even the tiniest details like simple question in small talk can lead to major impact much later in game. Most situation are based on moral questions, so very often it is not clear what will be the outcome, but similarly like in real life if you would make small mistake you can very often make it up later, but not always. Basically you do not play it, you must live it.
Post edited December 28, 2023 by IXOXI
Pajama Sam 3: You Are What You Eat From Your Head To Your Feet, excellent adventure for kids.

In Holidays, with family, presents, dinners, social medias, i don´t have very time for playing.
Include me

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
3. Crash Bandicoot: Warped
4. Sifu
5. Blue Reflection: Second Light
6. Needy Girl Overdose
7.Alice Gear Aegis: CS
8. Mortal Kombat 9
9. Metro: Last Light
10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
11. Witch Spring 3 Re:Fine - The Story of Eirudy
12. Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
13. Crystar
14. Chrono Cross
15. Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails
16. The Company Man
17. Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse
18. Trials of Mana Remake
19. Super Neptunia RPG
20. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1
21. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2: Sisters Generation
22. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V Generation
23. Megadimension Neptunia V2
24. Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed
25. MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune vs Zombies
26. Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls
27. Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force
28. Ultra Age
29. Toukiden 2
30. F.I.S.T.: Forged in Shadow Torch
31. Dusk Diver 2
32. Ys: Memories of Celceta
Cocoon, Dec 28 (Xbox Gamepass)-As someone who didn't like Limbo or Inside I just have to say wow. This game was incredible. It was like Christopher Nolan The Game. The puzzle mechanics felt fresh and the puzzles themselves were very clever. The boss battle type encounters were challenging but not too tough. Everything was great about this game except what felt like a very abrupt and lackluster ending in the last 2 minutes. I thought there was going to be a couple more puzzles and final showdown but I just got a quick plot twist cut scene and ending credits. Everything else was stellar though.

Full List
Monument Valley 1+2 (Panoramic Editions)

I don't really play on mobile devices, least of all buy games for them, so I had missed out on these rare mobile game classics that are actually worth your time, during the last decade. I'm very happy that they finally got ported to PC last year. I played them on my low-end laptop (with touchpad instead of mouse), and they worked well enough for that setup.

Both are short and casual, hardly ever challenging, more like an audiovisual and narrative experience than a puzzle game that has you wrack your brain, but they are very beautiful and competent in what they do. I enjoyed both of them a lot, for the art style, the mechanics, the sound design and music, and the stories they tell. Some levels I liked more than others, but there's a lot of variety and creativity in the settings to keep it fresh and prevent that you get bored with the comparatively simple mechanics.

I also played the dev's more recent game Assemble With Care earlier this year and liked it as well, but in comparison, I appreciate how the Monument Valleys manage to tell quite a bit without using a lot of text. I was also positively surprised by the fact that the second game isn't just a mere sequel but tells its own, independent story. Recommended!

Venba

Another beautiful and touching narrative game, featuring a universal story in a particular setting (interestingly, I saw some parallels to the tale of Monument Valley 2). It's mostly a visual novel with a few very casual trial and error puzzles, but I found it to be a lot more engaging than other games in the genre, because the art style, soundtrack and storytelling were all top notch, and the game had a good length, too (1-2 hours, which is exactly as long as it needed to be, no fillers). It was also one of the few games that managed to move me, emotionally.

The only things I disliked a tiny little bit were that the photos and particularly the sayings at the beginning of each chapter faded out so quickly without requiring an input, and that flavour text was hidden behind a button that I thought was for puzzle hints only, so I missed all of them. But these are just nitpicks.
Post edited December 29, 2023 by Leroux
Sisterly Lust (Steam)

Erotic, or more like erotic comedic, VN. It's the first of its type I've ever played through. No really, it is. The closest thing I've played in the past would be some Neverwinter Nights adult modules, like the Gladiatrix series.

It's actually really long and has a huge number of branches, far more than I would have expected. I've been playing about 30 minutes or so a day whilst waiting for dinner to cook most nights, since back when I was still playing Nioh 2.

Obviously, it's not for sensitive types. Also, Not Safe For Work...though I suppose that would depend upon your job- if you work in a Brothel or a sex shop, maybe this would be perfectly fine. Use your judgment, you're a grownup.

I'm not sure if this is on GOG? I'm certain I saw it on a sale once...but it does not come up in a search- which could mean that it's not on GOG or it could mean that it is on GOG but it offended the Australian ratings board...but in that case why is it okay to sell on Steam to Australia? Anyway, there is a free version as well. But I wanted to proudly display the 100% completion achievements on mt Steam page.
The Book Walker: Thief of Tales (XSX Game Pass)

Pretty unique story idea, presented as a sort of modern point and click adventure of sorts. I was immediately hooked by the idea of a protagonist that enters books to retrieve items for sale as artifacts. The puzzles are not the old-style inventory style, which I'm very grateful for. Here it's more about being very diligent about exploration, if you do so the solutions will present themselves.

You go into 6 books, each with their own theme and mini story. There is also an overall macro story. The individual books are really well done, those are what hooked me about this game. The overall story line ended up a bit disappointing, maybe even rushed. It didn't matter though, as the mini stories were enough on their own to make this game worth seeing through to the end.

The game does have combat, this seems to be what most people have an issue with. In reality the combat is just window dressing. They are short turn-based fights with a tactical element. I say they are more window dressing because I'm pretty sure that you cannot really fail them. I never lost a fight anyway, it always seemed when I messed up the enemy would always seem to miss a string of attacks and I'd win anyway. Maybe I was just lucky. Anyway, the game is under 8 hours long and well worth playing.
CMOT70: The Book Walker: Thief of Tales (XSX Game Pass)

Pretty unique story idea, presented as a sort of modern point and click adventure of sorts. I was immediately hooked by the idea of a protagonist that enters books to retrieve items for sale as artifacts. The puzzles are not the old-style inventory style, which I'm very grateful for. Here it's more about being very diligent about exploration, if you do so the solutions will present themselves.

You go into 6 books, each with their own theme and mini story. There is also an overall macro story. The individual books are really well done, those are what hooked me about this game. The overall story line ended up a bit disappointing, maybe even rushed. It didn't matter though, as the mini stories were enough on their own to make this game worth seeing through to the end.

The game does have combat, this seems to be what most people have an issue with. In reality the combat is just window dressing. They are short turn-based fights with a tactical element. I say they are more window dressing because I'm pretty sure that you cannot really fail them. I never lost a fight anyway, it always seemed when I messed up the enemy would always seem to miss a string of attacks and I'd win anyway. Maybe I was just lucky. Anyway, the game is under 8 hours long and well worth playing.
I thought this game was interesting but a little too easy and each of the individual books felt far too independent and disjointed and didn't really hang together in an overarching story.
And my last game of the year is Cats Hidden in Paris. It was short and I liked it but I probably wouldn't pay for games like that. I prefer a good story than destroying my eyes by searching for hidden things on the screen :)
muddysneakers: I thought this game was interesting but a little too easy and each of the individual books felt far too independent and disjointed and didn't really hang together in an overarching story.
These days, I like easy when it comes to puzzles. There's no way I'd finish the point and click adventures that I finished in the 90's anymore. The combat on the other hand was too easy. I agree about the overall story though, but I though each individual book had an interesting idea that would make a decent standalone real book or game.

Lust From Beyond: Prologue (Steam)

This is the free prologue to the full game and also a sequel to Lust For Darkness, which I played years ago. It's very short, but shows that the dev's are improving. They are starting to introduce mild survival horror elements to what was really just a walking simulator in the first game. It remains to be seen how far they take it in the full sequel.

It has always seemed like a logical idea, to me, to combine survival horror and full adult themes into a sort of sex cult scenario. If done well it could be a great game. So, I'll play the full game soon to see how they went. Obviously, it is hard to get the balance right- too much survival horror will just make it a horror game and if the erotic aspects dominate too much then it would be hard to play the survival parts one handed...

I love these sorts of games for their achievements! I mean who doesn't want to have the "Stood and watched the orgy for 5 minutes" achievement to display on their Steam profile?
Post edited December 31, 2023 by CMOT70
Cats Hidden in Paris reminds me old flash games for a few minutes fun. It is interesting enough for that time, but I cannot image playing it for 10 hours or more like more mature games.
It's time for the annual quick recap of my gaming year... if anyone's interested:

Games finished in 2023:
- Inside
- Descent
- Cryostasis
- Thief 3: Deadly Shadows
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
- Q.U.B.E.: Director's Cut
- MDK
- Laser Squad + Expansion Kit One (on a Spectrum emulator)
- The Chaos Engine
- Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
- Half-Life: Opposing Force
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade
- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
- Diablo II
- Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
- Polarity (2007)
- Quake Mission Pack No. I: Scourge of Armagon
- Future Cop: L.A.P.D.
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein
- Duke Nukem 3D (the 3 original episodes)

… but for the sake of full disclosure, I must point out that:
- I played Laser Squad at a rather low level of difficulty (3 out of 7 – and some maps were very challenging even so!)
- I made ample use of the “Continue old game” feature in The Chaos Engine, which I'm fairly sure wasn't present in the Amiga original
- I left two of the secret puzzles in Q.U.B.E. unsolved and didn't even find the third one
- I only finished the Tau campaign in Dark Crusade, on “normal” difficulty. I'd certainly like to do the same with the other factions, starting with the Necrons, then possibly the Space Marines on “hard”. Hopefully in the near future...
- I only played the “Crime War” (story) mode in Future Cop LAPD; I've still got to try the “Precinct Assault” (skirmish) one.

Also, I managed to get to the end of Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, years after having started it... but I didn't get the good ending, as I hadn't saved enough Mudokons - bummer! I fell short of just a few, I think. So that doesn't really qualify as "finished", I guess... Now I'd like to find the time to replay it again, and try to get the good ending, but honestly I'm afraid that will never happen, with so much other stuff to play... and I shudder at the thought of replaying certain sections. A pity, since it's truly a great game in many respects - it's not for nothing it has spawned many sequels over the years.

Games already started that I'm planning to complete in 2024:
- Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines + Beyond The Call Of Duty expansion
- Diablo II (meaning, the Lord of Destruction DLC)
- Freedom Force
- Command & Conquer (the Nod campaign) + The Covert Operations expansion
- Duke Nukem 3D: “The Birth” add-on episode
- Harbinger
- SteamWorld Heist
- Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair
- Dishonored

First new game of 2024: Descent 2

Other games I especially look forward to playing next year:
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War – Soulstorm
- Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
- Project Eden
- Fallen Haven
- HALO
- The Deadly Tower of Monsters
- Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
- Wolfenstein (2009)
- Spinch
- Space Hulk (DOS)
- Alien Breed (DOS)
- Z (the original DOS version)
- Bedlam (1996)
- Judge Dredd (1995)
- Ground Control
- Dark Vengeance
- Max Payne
- Nox
- SWAT 4
- Among the Sleep
- Doom II
- Aliens Versus Predator Classic 2000

(wow... that's really a ton of stuff! And it's not even everything... will I be able to play them all??)

All the best for the new year to everyone reading!
Post edited January 01, 2024 by cose_vecchie
Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus, Dec 31 (Xbox Gamepass)-I liked it but I did have some issues with it. The game looked and sounded great. It had a pretty good story but it felt like it was wasted on a Wolfenstein game where I just want to shoot things and blow things up. At this point I'm getting tired of the commanders spawning reinforcements all the time and I don't want to have to stealth my way thru a Wolfenstein game. About 2/3 of the way thru the game I got stuck at a fight and turned the difficulty down so I could just destroy everything which was very satisfying. The panzerhund sequence was a lot of fun. There could probably be a game dedicated entirely to that. Overall an ok game where the best and most interesting elements are wasted on a game where I just want to shoot things.

Full List
Finished Death Stranding: Director's Cut on PS5 earlier today. I didn't know much about this one other than that some call it a walking sim and that it's dozens of hours long and I had doubts whether I would enjoy it, also because I didn't like Metal Gear Solid's transition into an open world much (though I will give MGS V another chance one day). Anyway, in the end I was very positively surprised by Death Stranding.

The gist of it is that most of mankind is gone, survivors live in bunkers and everyone depends on brave souls called porters who deliver everything the people need - the hero, Sam Porter Bridges, is one of them. What happened to mankind, you ask? Well, when people die they cause nuclear explosions now and also there are invisible monsters called BTs on the surface. And rain that causes everything and everyone to age rapidly. Also, porters depend on BBs, babies kept in pods, to detect and evade those monsters. It may sound like a typical Kojima game but frankly it's not. Yes, it does have a weird and convoluted narrative and features some crazy imagery but also: it's only accentuated by Japanese weirdness rather than soaked in it. The plot is complicated, it does raise a ton of philosophical questions and has a number of twists, there are cheesy moments, but given the setup it's all played pretty straight and feels a lot more "western" than Kojima's past works and it's much easier to take it seriously.

But what does it play like? Well, those who call it a walking sim are dumbasses because the thing about walking sims is that the walking is trivial there. Yes, there is a ton of walking here but there is actual gameplay in that walking. So basically what you're constantly doing in this game is deliver stuff, thereby advancing the story or gaining the support of survivors (which unlocks new stuff for you that can make your life easier). However, navigating the world isn't trivial at all because not only are there dangers in the form of the aforementioned monsters and some hostile humans but the simple act of walking up and down hills or climbing cliffs and getting past rivers has its challenges and will require some focus and/or the use of tools like ladders, ropes and even simple structures like bridges. Kojima picked a "survival" approach here with a whole bunch of things to manage (like weight, stamina, container condition and battery power) and many factors that are there only to make life difficult for you. It's not quite as challenging as climbing the bosses in Shadow of the Colossus but I suppose it often requires a similar degree of planning and focus.

So, it's a pretty ballsy game to be honest. While there is some stealth and combat here it is indeed mostly a game about navigating a large and unforgiving world on foot, sometimes using vehicles. And it has worked out pretty great in my eyes. It could have been a bit deeper, some things could have been a bit better technically (especially jumping and vehicle physics!), but I've found it to be a game that manages to be very engaging. Sometimes it does get a bit "meditative", sometimes also a bit boring (at least if you overdo it with the optional deliveries) but it is also very satisfying in so many ways. There are just tons of rewarding moments in this game: whether you've made a long and difficult delivery or overcome a small obstacle like a river by placing a ladder or building a bridge or you've unlocked a game-changing tool that will allow you to deal with obstacles and enemies in new ways. And it's also emotionally very powerful, not just in the main narrative with its tearjerker moments but also in many other situations, largely thanks to the many beautiful songs in this game. And also, while dealing with the BTs (the aforementioned monsters) it occurred to me that Death Stranding is sometimes giving me the experience that I was hoping to get from the Stalker games (and heck, I suppose one could describe this game as Japanese Stalker in a way).

Finally, the game also has a pretty decent online integration. I don't play multiplayer games much but I often enjoy games that seamlessly integrate online multiplayer into the singleplayer portion, like the Souls games, and Death Stranding does a whole bunch of this stuff. You can't physically run into other players (though you will sometimes see where a player is currently resting) but there are many different ways in which players passively support each other e.g. because structures placed by one player will appear for other players and players can then send likes to each other. There are also numerous other ways in which players can support each other (and in some cases also compete) but I won't go into all of them. Anyway, the good news is that clearly many players are still playing this game and this online component adds quite a bit of life to the game.

Okay, time to wrap it up: yes, I enjoyed this game greatly. I've found it to be quite moving until the very end and also quite impressive and very satisfying in terms of gameplay. Looking forward to Death Stranding 2!
Kathy Rain, Dec 31, (GOG)-A pretty good adventure game with an interesting story. There were two bad puzzles, the church wall safe combo and the maze in the woods, that suffered from obscure hints or a lack of hints. All of the other puzzles were pretty good. With the exception of Kathy and Goober voice acting was pretty meh.

Full List
Post edited January 01, 2024 by muddysneakers