It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

I love Life is Strange, so when I heard another studio is going to work on its prequel, I was aghast. But I also wanted to see how Chloe met Rachel, so I decided to buy the game (after they released the bonus episode).
Does it matches its parenthood? No, it doesn't, but if you liked Life is Strange, Chloe, or just want to find out how Chloe and Rachel met, then you'll like it. There were some things I didn't liked, like how you can figure the twist real fast, or how Rachel was kind of a manipulative with Chloe, or who's the real villain (I won't give names, but you should know who I'm talking about if you played the game). Nevertheless, it was still a decent game, worthy to buy, just for its bonus episode.
PS: Max's the worst!
Max Payne, Jun 15 (PS2)-This game was pretty good, much better than Black I think. I really appreciated the frequent check points as it nicely matched my tendency to play games in short bursts. I never really got the hang of bullet time so I didn't use it much. There were some annoying parts, basically any section with platforming elements. And I was really low on ammo for the last two chapters so those were much more difficult than normal. Overall I enjoyed it and I'm not surprised it spawned a franchise.

Full List
Darksiders Warmastered Edition

Fun action/metroidvania/hack'n'slash/rpg/whateveryouwannacallit. I didn't collect everything though.
Bloodrayne 1!
Finally finished Prince of Persia (2008) on PS3. I've always been a huge fan of the series and I was expecting that this almost cult-classic that received tons of great reviews but failed commercially might become my favourite in the series. Well, it did not.

Frankly, after all the great things I've heard about it and considering how fantastic the "Sands" trilogy was, this was a gigantic letdown. I don't even know where to start, I have issues with almost every single aspect of this game, starting with the graphical style. I don't hate it but I certainly don't love it. I love stylised graphics but this weird combo of realism with hand-painted textures just doesn't work for me. I didn't like it in the Telltale games, I don't like it here. But enough about that...

I hate the game's format and it's one of the worst and most pointless uses of an "open world" I've seen. First off: you can do almost anything in the game in any order. This means that you know in advance that there will be nothing interesting going on, no character development, not a single turn of events and yes, there actually isn't. The only thing you get is one very brief story sequence after you've defeated either boss and there isn't much going on either. Secondly, the game's entire routine is: enter a new "corrupted" area, platform your way to the boss, kill him, now "enjoy" collecting orbs that have appeared in the very same places you just passed. And you have to kill each boss five times (or six, not sure) and there's practically no enemies in-between besides some weird random shadow thingy that appears once in a blue moon and is disposed of in seconds. And collecting those arbitrarily placed blue orbs really shouldn't be the main portion of the game, right?

Then there's the platforming which is obviously the core gameplay. Oh, it LOOKS great but if it were great I'd be having fun, wouldn't I? I'm not. That's because the platforming is a series of quick time events on rails. In a good platform game you have to aim jumps, time them AND explore the environment to figure out how to do them. Nothing of that applies here. The game is based on platforms you can safely stand on which are connected by "platforming tunnels". If you fall, you return to the last platform. The thing is that once you leave a platform there's usually only one way, sometimes small crossings, and there's really no thinking involved in getting through these. The entire challenge is based on the fact that depending on the wall element you reach next you have to press a different button. Some sections can be done entirely without even touching the stick, just press the right button when the Prince has reached the right spot. Oh yeah, and there's almost no environmental puzzles and the ones that are there are pathetic compared to the ones from the "Sands" series.

Then there's the combat which suffers from pretty much the same issues as the platforming. All fights are 1 on 1 against some dude and are basically QTE sequences. The game doesn't openly show that they are QTEs (well, except when it actually does because there ARE additionally tons of actual QTEs during the fights) but basically it's just about pushing buttons the right moment and depending on the enemy's "state" you have to press a different button. And the "right" way fight is to learn the combos, which are long and seriously arbitrary button sequences which you can look up in the pause menu. And it's not special attacks like in say God of War, oh no, it's just chains of standard attacks. Push the wrong button, chain broken. Yeah, I'm not gonna waste my time learning those when short bursts will also quickly dispose of either boss. And technically all fights look the same. They all take place in a small arena, the enemies don't really do anything interesting. There's one boss who can only be killed by pushing him off ledges or into stuff but that's the best the game does.

Oh, and there's a progression system. Every billion orbs you collect you can unlock some new power of Ormazd. What do these do? They extend the QTE platforming, yay! They unlock different kinds of plates. When you reach a plate you press Y/triangle and... in two cases you're just thrown away in the right direction, in one case you start a short Temple Run kind of thing and in the final one you have a mediocre flying sequence that plays like Rebel Assault minus shooting (including Rebel Assault's readability problems). So basically all powers do the same thing in a slightly different way.

Then there's the story which is okay I guess but really not exciting and, as I mentioned, lacked any turns of events or genuine climaxes. I think in the whole game there's just three characters besides two bandits or something in the intro (but I don't remember exactly because I started this playthrough last year). And the game begins with a punch in the face of fans of the "Sands" fans since the Prince yells "Farah!" all the time - who is revealed to be a lost donkey. And this version of the prince is Nathan Drake. Literally. It's Nathan Drake. He's an adventurous, cocky thief with a heart of gold. Voiced by Nolan North. Yeah, it's Nathan Drake in a turban.

I guess the music was decent but... you will hear that same epic oriental theme a million times over the course of the game. If there's ever been a game with too little music it's this one.

So yeah, I really didn't enjoy it much and just wanted to get it over with.

Now, the thing is this: the game's ending is pretty great. There's one small twist in the end that is better than any other moment in the game. A great open ending. And then they released the Epilogue DLC which I haven't played yet but which presumably ruins the one great thing the game had going for it. Well, here's hoping that it's better than the base game.
KiNgBrAdLeY7: Bloodrayne 1!
Ah, so you did manage to kill the last bosses. Congratulations!
Themken: Ah, so you did manage to kill the last bosses. Congratulations!
What was so special about it? Took me 3 tries. Bloodrayne 2 feels much harder, too!
Post edited June 16, 2018 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
Themken: Ah, so you did manage to kill the last bosses. Congratulations!
KiNgBrAdLeY7: What was so special about it? Took me 3 tries. Bloodrayne 2 feels much harder, too!
Just that you must know how to. I saw you post about it in the BloodRayne forum. I think it took myself five tries. Reading a reminder to use the slow time helped a lot. The game is not that special, I think.

Did you enjoy it?
Themken: Just that you must know how to. I saw you post about it in the BloodRayne forum. I think it took myself five tries. Reading a reminder to use the slow time helped a lot. The game is not that special, I think.

Did you enjoy it?
Of course, it's a great action game! Now i try to go through 2. In fact, i belong to this group that thinks 1 is way better than 2... Rayne was more OP and i really liked that; despite 2 bringing a big variety in gameplay. I regret putting off completing it for such a long time, though, i won it in a giveaway here ages ago and all that.
Post edited June 16, 2018 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
Finished Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition with Gelinde, an Inquisitor. The 12th time I finished Baldur's Gate (not counting Siege of Dragonspear and Baldur's Gate II), but the first BG game finished in 2018.

full list
kalirion: Darksiders Warmastered Edition

Fun action/metroidvania/hack'n'slash/rpg/whateveryouwannacallit. I didn't collect everything though.
I really liked this one. I'm worried about starting the 2nd game because I've heard its so buggy.
F4LL0UT: Finally finished Prince of Persia (2008) on PS3. I've always been a huge fan of the series and I was expecting that this almost cult-classic that received tons of great reviews but failed commercially might become my favourite in the series. Well, it did not.

Frankly, after all the great things I've heard about it and considering how fantastic the "Sands" trilogy was, this was a gigantic letdown. I don't even know where to start, I have issues with almost every single aspect of this game, starting with the graphical style. I don't hate it but I certainly don't love it. I love stylised graphics but this weird combo of realism with hand-painted textures just doesn't work for me. I didn't like it in the Telltale games, I don't like it here. But enough about that...

I hate the game's format and it's one of the worst and most pointless uses of an "open world" I've seen. First off: you can do almost anything in the game in any order. This means that you know in advance that there will be nothing interesting going on, no character development, not a single turn of events and yes, there actually isn't. The only thing you get is one very brief story sequence after you've defeated either boss and there isn't much going on either. Secondly, the game's entire routine is: enter a new "corrupted" area, platform your way to the boss, kill him, now "enjoy" collecting orbs that have appeared in the very same places you just passed. And you have to kill each boss five times (or six, not sure) and there's practically no enemies in-between besides some weird random shadow thingy that appears once in a blue moon and is disposed of in seconds. And collecting those arbitrarily placed blue orbs really shouldn't be the main portion of the game, right?

Then there's the platforming which is obviously the core gameplay. Oh, it LOOKS great but if it were great I'd be having fun, wouldn't I? I'm not. That's because the platforming is a series of quick time events on rails. In a good platform game you have to aim jumps, time them AND explore the environment to figure out how to do them. Nothing of that applies here. The game is based on platforms you can safely stand on which are connected by "platforming tunnels". If you fall, you return to the last platform. The thing is that once you leave a platform there's usually only one way, sometimes small crossings, and there's really no thinking involved in getting through these. The entire challenge is based on the fact that depending on the wall element you reach next you have to press a different button. Some sections can be done entirely without even touching the stick, just press the right button when the Prince has reached the right spot. Oh yeah, and there's almost no environmental puzzles and the ones that are there are pathetic compared to the ones from the "Sands" series.

Then there's the combat which suffers from pretty much the same issues as the platforming. All fights are 1 on 1 against some dude and are basically QTE sequences. The game doesn't openly show that they are QTEs (well, except when it actually does because there ARE additionally tons of actual QTEs during the fights) but basically it's just about pushing buttons the right moment and depending on the enemy's "state" you have to press a different button. And the "right" way fight is to learn the combos, which are long and seriously arbitrary button sequences which you can look up in the pause menu. And it's not special attacks like in say God of War, oh no, it's just chains of standard attacks. Push the wrong button, chain broken. Yeah, I'm not gonna waste my time learning those when short bursts will also quickly dispose of either boss. And technically all fights look the same. They all take place in a small arena, the enemies don't really do anything interesting. There's one boss who can only be killed by pushing him off ledges or into stuff but that's the best the game does.

Oh, and there's a progression system. Every billion orbs you collect you can unlock some new power of Ormazd. What do these do? They extend the QTE platforming, yay! They unlock different kinds of plates. When you reach a plate you press Y/triangle and... in two cases you're just thrown away in the right direction, in one case you start a short Temple Run kind of thing and in the final one you have a mediocre flying sequence that plays like Rebel Assault minus shooting (including Rebel Assault's readability problems). So basically all powers do the same thing in a slightly different way.

Then there's the story which is okay I guess but really not exciting and, as I mentioned, lacked any turns of events or genuine climaxes. I think in the whole game there's just three characters besides two bandits or something in the intro (but I don't remember exactly because I started this playthrough last year). And the game begins with a punch in the face of fans of the "Sands" fans since the Prince yells "Farah!" all the time - who is revealed to be a lost donkey. And this version of the prince is Nathan Drake. Literally. It's Nathan Drake. He's an adventurous, cocky thief with a heart of gold. Voiced by Nolan North. Yeah, it's Nathan Drake in a turban.

I guess the music was decent but... you will hear that same epic oriental theme a million times over the course of the game. If there's ever been a game with too little music it's this one.

So yeah, I really didn't enjoy it much and just wanted to get it over with.

Now, the thing is this: the game's ending is pretty great. There's one small twist in the end that is better than any other moment in the game. A great open ending. And then they released the Epilogue DLC which I haven't played yet but which presumably ruins the one great thing the game had going for it. Well, here's hoping that it's better than the base game.
Disappointing to hear this because I really like what I've seen from the Sand series after 2.5 games.
Post edited June 17, 2018 by muddysneakers
muddysneakers: Disappointing to hear this because I really like what I've seen from the Sand series after 2.5 games.
Well, many people seem to love this one so there's hope you will love it despite the stuff that frustrated me about the game. I guess it also largely depends on how you feel about the inability to die here. You are always saved by sidekick Elika and rarely lose more than 10-20 seconds of progress. Some love it, some hate it.

Also: you really didn't have to quote my entire post. I felt bad enough for spamming up this page once. xD
Forza Horizon 3 (XB1X)
It's Le Mans week, so like always, it's racing week for gaming. Horizon 3 is the best arcade racer ever now, and it's not just because it's set in my own country.

Like all the Forza games it focuses on visual clarity and perfectly paced frame rates rather than overdone post processing. It's in 4K and it looks it too.
Like all the Horizon games, it's open world and you can drive pretty much anywhere- especially if you jump in the Halo Warthog. The advantage number three has over the first two is variety of landscapes, everything from Surfers Paradise cityscape to rainforests and the outback. Hundreds of hours of racing and exploration content for all types of cars. I broke the game up into 3 solid chunks of one week at a time to keep it fresh.
I've finished the "story mode" of unlocking and completing all the showcase events, which gets you the credits. Plus I've upgraded all the Horizon locations to the max level and found all the hidden barn cars and completed pretty much all races except the stupid drifting rubbish-cars are for going fast, not doing ballet.

There isn't really anything negative except that it's 30fps instead of 60 like the Motorsport series. Though it's not trying to be a simulation and the frame rate is perfectly paced which at least makes it predictable.

I've still only done the main game. After a break there is still the two expansions to do, Hotwheels and Blizzard Mountain. Then the wait until Oct 2 for Horizon 4...on game pass at release and by then I will have enough Microsoft Points for a free month again. So I know what I'll be doing in October.
Post edited June 17, 2018 by CMOT70
kalirion: Darksiders Warmastered Edition

muddysneakers: I really liked this one. I'm worried about starting the 2nd game because I've heard its so buggy.
Started #2 today, 6 hours in the only bugs I've encountered were 2-3 times getting stuck on the scenery. Got unstuck by swinging weapon or dismounting the horse. This is the original PC version of Darksiders II though, not the "Deathinitive Edition". It's a lot of fun, there are ARPG elements in the form of loot added, and Death is a far more agile Horseman than War is, it feels more like controlling a Dark Souls 25% encumbrance character, literally running circles around the slower foes.
Book of Demons (free Demo - Early Access)

Were my budget not so tight, I'd definitely pay out for this. A few questions about balance the demo can't quite answer, but the game design (for me) was quite enjoyable. The folded-paper style of Epistory matched with the ambience of the original Diablo in an ARPG that, at least for me, felt quite unique.

In this game you start as a rpg trope (warrior/archer/mage, though only warrior available in demo) and slowly grind your way down to Hell to fight the devil. The odd thing is that even the warrior does ranged damage - would be interesting to compare the differences between classes.

The card/mana system seems well designed on the whole as an alternative to standard ARPG gearing. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who appreciates a classic ARPG core with a pretty different shell and the demo, of course, is free. If I had $20 to spend on a game (moreover one in early access), I'd definitely be tempted by this one, and will keep an eye for future sales/bundles.

Despite the early access status, the core parts of the game are functioning and stable.

The "flexiscope" feature is also a neat quality of life feature, though perhaps not game-changing. It allows you to set how many levels you want to beat in a single run, and estimates how long it will probably take you to accomplish that based on your prior play. I haven't tested it enough to see if you really get bigger rewards for more ambitious settings, or if the larger loot for higher settings is merely a function of completing more/deeper levels you'd get later if you did it in smaller chunks.
Post edited June 17, 2018 by bler144