It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sonic Generations

I liked it when the levels let me go fast. I didn't like it when the levels had mechanics to force me to slow down, like gears I needed to jump and run on in place, or flying spindle things that I needed to run on in place, etc. Also didn't care for the bosses.

This is only the second Sonic game I've beaten, after Adventure DX.
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XB1X)

I said in that other thread that I quit this, after falling foul of the dreaded game breaking bug on the second last boss (the big wolf thing). But after a cool down period I decided to restart it and finish, pretty much in one sitting. It's a lot faster when you know the puzzles and set the combat to easy to speed things up. Still can't skip the cutscenes though, which make up about a third of the play time. This time I didn't get the game breaking bug and reset the combat difficulty once I got back to where I was up to.

But nothing changed about my opinion of the game. It's still boring. At one point during the aborted first play through I was falling asleep and went and mowed the grass. When you are playing a game and start to think about mowing the grass almost with longing, something is badly wrong. Too many cutscenes, all the fights are the same just getting longer and longer. And the puzzles, well...think of a game where you come to a locked door and to open it you solve a sliding block puzzle. With me? Now you come to a river and you build a bridge by solving a sliding block puzzle. Still with me? Now you come to a computer terminal and you hack it by solving a sliding block puzzle. Well that's Hellblade, except it's not sliding block puzzles but a different type of puzzle. You solve every roadblock using the same type of puzzle.

Ninja Theory are obviously talented. But if I didn't already know they made this and went in totally blind, I'd guess that Hellblade was by some Sony 1st part studio for the PS4...it has that Sony game movie feel to it like The Last of Us (another one where you progress by solving the same couple of puzzles over and over). But these types of games always seem to score plus 90 on Metacritic, so someone likes them.
Post edited December 20, 2018 by CMOT70
CMOT70: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XB1X)

I said in that other thread that I quit this, after falling foul of the dreaded game breaking bug on the second last boss (the big wolf thing). But after a cool down period I decided to restart it and finish, pretty much in one sitting. It's a lot faster when you know the puzzles and set the combat to easy to speed things up. Still can't skip the cutscenes though, which make up about a third of the play time. This time I didn't get the game breaking bug and reset the combat difficulty once I got back to where I was up to.

But nothing changed about my opinion of the game. It's still boring. At one point during the aborted first play through I was falling asleep and went and mowed the grass. When you are playing a game and start to think about mowing the grass almost with longing, something is badly wrong. Too many cutscenes, all the fights are the same just getting longer and longer. And the puzzles, well...think of a game where you come to a locked door and to open it you solve a sliding block puzzle. With me? Now you come to a river and you build a bridge by solving a sliding block puzzle. Still with me? Now you come to a computer terminal and you hack it by solving a sliding block puzzle. Well that's Hellblade, except it's not sliding block puzzles but a different type of puzzle. You solve every roadblock using the same type of puzzle.

Ninja Theory are obviously talented. But if I didn't already know they made this and went in totally blind, I'd guess that Hellblade was by some Sony 1st part studio for the PS4...it has that Sony game movie feel to it like The Last of Us (another one where you progress by solving the same couple of puzzles over and over). But these types of games always seem to score plus 90 on Metacritic, so someone likes them.
had the game before game pass. just was not into it at all. stopped after the first boss.i don't hate the game but I don't really like it.
graphics wise, it looks great but the voices don't stop. also the combat isn't great.
swsoboleski89: the voices don't stop
That's kind of the point...
CMOT70: Ninja Theory are obviously talented. But if I didn't already know they made this and went in totally blind, I'd guess that Hellblade was by some Sony 1st part studio for the PS4...it has that Sony game movie feel to it like The Last of Us (another one where you progress by solving the same couple of puzzles over and over). But these types of games always seem to score plus 90 on Metacritic, so someone likes them.
People love to say "Gameplay is what really matters!" but it's really the pretty graphics that make them happy.
Slain: Back from Hell

A short 2d action/platformer which see's you rise from the dead to defeat the evil overlord that has corrupted the land. The game has an emphasis on difficulty, you will likely die numerous times, sometimes due to unfair traps, however checkpoints are 'usually' close together. It's short, if you're looking for a game to spend a day off playing I'd recommend it. The bosses are difficult, although the tactics are normally the same. There are a few glitches, one is getting the achievement for killing the 2nd to last boss halfway through a platforming section in level 1. Only 2 bosses are very difficult, which is down to having an absurd attack that's difficult to dodge. I'm pretty sure they stole one of the bosses from house of the dead 2 as well. Overall it's a good, albeit short game. I'd recommend getting it when it's on sale.
magejake50: Slain: Back from Hell

A short 2d action/platformer which see's you rise from the dead to defeat the evil overlord that has corrupted the land. The game has an emphasis on difficulty, you will likely die numerous times, sometimes due to unfair traps, however checkpoints are 'usually' close together. It's short, if you're looking for a game to spend a day off playing I'd recommend it. The bosses are difficult, although the tactics are normally the same. There are a few glitches, one is getting the achievement for killing the 2nd to last boss halfway through a platforming section in level 1. Only 2 bosses are very difficult, which is down to having an absurd attack that's difficult to dodge. I'm pretty sure they stole one of the bosses from house of the dead 2 as well. Overall it's a good, albeit short game. I'd recommend getting it when it's on sale.
Are you using m&k or a controller?
magejake50: Slain: Back from Hell

zlaywal: Are you using m&k or a controller?
Keyboard
zlaywal: Are you using m&k or a controller?
magejake50: Keyboard
Thanks, good to know. I have it but kinda hesitate to play it cause I don't have a controller currently.
Dragon's Lair (GOG)

If you like QTE's and Instant death for making one mistake, then this is the game for you!
magejake50: Dragon's Lair (GOG)

If you like QTE's and Instant death for making one mistake, then this is the game for you!
Lol, as a game, Dragon's Lair is about as minimalist as it gets. The gameplay is really just a combination of Simon and Bloody Knuckles.
Wolfenstein: The New Order

Very good FPS in just about all ways. Beat the Wyatt timeline on "Uber" difficulty, and it was challenging but fair without being frustrating even with the quicksaveless checkpoint system (though I did have to retry some fights a whole bunch of times). Gonna play the Fergus timeline on Easy just for the story, since I hear the missions are the same.

Edit: Played first 3 levels for Fergus timeline and called it quits. Not worth replaying the game even on easiest difficulty just to see some different cutscenes. That's what youtube's for!
Post edited December 21, 2018 by kalirion
Outlast & Whistleblower (Humble DRM-free) - free give-away, I seem to recall

In the first instance an investigative journalist is forced to witness a lot of offal & some bratwurst, jots down a few stock journalistic cliches, screams like a little girl, breathes heavily (asthma? dust mite allergy?), hides from psychopaths, and feels like a Manly Man-Hero (especially at the end).

In the second part a nerdy systems analyst with similar bronchial sensitivities looks at far less bratwurst, but reveals himself in some deeply emotional writing.

There is also Eddie Gluskin's haircut, which is definitely nightmare fuel.
Flashback

At one point the biggest selling French video game of all time (or so I've been told) Flashback is a 2d puzzle/action/platformer similar to Prince of Persia (the original one) and Another World. Movement is clunky, you often need to be precise about jumping and watching your character repeatedly equip and unequip his weapon during a combat encounter because you accidentally pressed Ctrl too many times is frustrating. Story wise you wake up in a jungle with no memory with only a recording of yourself giving you any information, this leads into a government conspiracy, taking part in a lethal game show and getting work at a job centre. The controls can make the game difficult, one enemy in particular, found in the last 3 levels, is particularly troublesome. There are some incredibly poorly designed solutions for some of the puzzles, one involves shooting down a door, despite the fact every other door in the game is bulletproof and this door looks exactly the same. Or the final puzzle which involves knowing that a certain hazard can be rolled through to avoid being killed, despite there being no indication at all that this is possible. It's a good game, although the 2nd level is long and can get a bit tedious. It's a good game, although it can get frustrating.
gloombandit: [breathes heavily (asthma? dust mite allergy?)
I bet it cannot be any worse then Alan Wake. Alan's lungs must be in terminal condition and his stamina is non existing ;)