It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

awalterj: A New Beginning
I hated this game. I can't remember exactly why. It's one of the few games I gave one star to in my backloggery. It wasn't the agenda, I'm a leftwing greeny pinko so that couldn't have been it. I think the English voice acting was quite bad. I think I hated the story and the puzzles as well. I guess that doesn't leave much when its a point and click.

I'm glad someone enjoyed it at least. A lot of work obviously went into the game.
awalterj: A New Beginning
htown1980: I hated this game. I can't remember exactly why. It's one of the few games I gave one star to in my backloggery. It wasn't the agenda, I'm a leftwing greeny pinko so that couldn't have been it. I think the English voice acting was quite bad. I think I hated the story and the puzzles as well. I guess that doesn't leave much when its a point and click.

I'm glad someone enjoyed it at least. A lot of work obviously went into the game.
One star seems unfairly harsh even for the English version but it is of course your free choice to rate it that way and you weren't the only one, I saw a couple really low rating reviews for that game, giving one and 2 stars. In fact, the average low rating of 3.5 stars almost kept me away from this game altogether but fortunately I decided to make up my own mind and I don't regret it, at all. Had a lot of fun with this one, actually.

I didn't rate it 5 stars just because I liked it but because I thought the game delivered enough in every aspect to warrant a full rating - for the German version that is (the English dub sounds very bad, yes). When rating games, I try to rate them according to how well the game achieves what it aims to achieve. If I have a personal preference for item puzzles I'm not going to downrate an adventure that doesn't have enough of them, Blackwell Epiphany for example was only a 4 star game for me subjectively but I still rated it 5 stars because it fully succeeds at doing what it tries to do which is tell a good story without making you stop to fix generators and set up antennae and disarm bombs every couple minutes.

Anyway, lots of different views and rating eventually balance out the overall rating of a game, in this case 3.5 stars is understandable for the English dub but the German version deserves 4 solid stars I think.
Finally finished Primordia, this game needs no introduction or lengthy review. It's a top notch adventure game and a clear 5 stars, arguably the best Wadjet has published so far, even better than Gemini Rue and Resonance.

I only had two minor gripes with it: The first one is that I'm getting quite annoyed with voice actor Abe Goldfarb, I know he's popular but I just don't like his voices (any of them) and find them rather unconvincing and awkward, it kinda puts a little damper on immersion when you can't help but think oh no it's that voice guy from all the other Wadjet games, is there no escape...this is personal preference however so I don't detract any points for that.

My real gripe is that there is one completely random puzzle in this game that wasn't properly clued, couldn't be solved with logic and that I for the love of life couldn't figure out on my own so I had to click on Crispin the robot sidekick to get a hint, after which the solution became apparent quickly. I had deactivated automatic hints and vowed not to ever use them but I got stuck forever at that one part so I eventually caved in. It was frustrating though because now I feel like it was the same as cheating with a walkthrough even though Crispin only dropped a hint and not the actual solution.

The whole game took me about 15 hours to finish, as usual decidedly longer than it seems to take most people. I lost quite a bit of time wandering back and forth to check places for changes and in some cases pixel hunting was involved, in hindsight nothing was all too aggravating or truly difficult but in hindsight everything always seems easier than while you were playing and struggling.

**WARNING: Potential spoilers ahead, please only read if you finished the game already**

Question for people who already finished it:
Has anyone been able to beat this game without clicking on Crispin for hints during the temrinal riddle, I'm referring to the only un-clued part of it with the poem?
The beginning and the rest of the puzzle wasn't hard but that poem just didn't make any sense, where on Earth were the hints for that one?
Once I clicked on Crispin he gave me a hint that put me on the right track but it was very frustrating having to rely on the cheeky little robo brat, I so frustrate :/

**Potential Spoiler end**
NoNewTaleToTell: I suppose It's like one of my all time favorites (Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines), extremely buggy at times (without fan patches/fixes) but an absolute gem of a game when it's working right.
Yes and no. While in practical terms what you are saying is absolutely right, as far as I know at the time the vanilla Desperados ran fine (unlike the super-buggy Bloodlines), it's just that a lot of compatibility issues with new OSs have not been addressed yet, and probably never will. :(
Doom 3

10 years in my posession and I never had finished this game before and I have no idea why. For it's 10th Anniversary I finally decided to finish this game and I'm glad I did. It's your typical old-school id shooter and this is completely fine with me. The enemies are dumb as hell and it's just fun to blast their brains out. There are a lot of weapons and all of them feel great and have a lot of fire power. id Softwae also took some inspiration from 'System Shock 2', so that you can listen to audio log's or even watch videos on your PDA, which give an more insight look into the story of the game. It was a very nice and surprising touch, even while those audio logs miss the creepiness of the 'System Shock 2' ones. Compared to previous id Games this one tried to create a horror atmosphere and to be scary. Well, it has a very nice horror atmosphere (even while I wish I could had walked more on the surface), but it's not very scary, because id Software repeats the same 'jump scare' over and over again. As soon as a demon spawns in front of you, you can be sure that another one also spawned right behind you. They use that jump scare throughout the entire game and it gets boring after a while. But no one plays a Doom game to get scared, right? The most interresting levels were both Hell levels, too bad you're stuck on the Mars station for most of the time. I played the game with the Absolute HD mod, which makes it look almost like a modern game. It improved the atmosphere a lot. Together with 'Painkiller' the maybe best old-school shooter of the last decade!

Among the Sleep

A horror game where you play as a baby? Sounds strange? It is, but the unique idea leads to some very interresting gameplay mechanics f.ex. if you want to open a door you first have to crawl on a chair to reach the door. It's a very interresting concept and it actually is fun to play as a baby, even while you can't do much. The gameplay mechanics repeat themselves very fast, so it's not such a bad thing that the game can be finished in less than 2 hours. You travel to surreal places which are all connected to the story in one way or another and all of them look different. You travel to a creepy children playground, a swamp, a creepy house etc. and sometimes monsters stalk those places and try to kill you. But sadly those encounters are never terrifying, because you always find enough places to hide and the monsters must be close to you before they even realize that you are right in front of them. So the game just creates it's creepy atmosphere thanks to it's environment, but never cause of it's monsters. So it fails in the scary department. But where the game very shines is in it's ending, because that one was actually brillant and well thought. So in total this game is a nice little and short horror game, which is never going to be remembered as a cult classic, but it's good nonetheless. It's just way too expensive for what you get...

Outlast

Already had played it last year, but I thought it would be a good idea to re-play it for my 'Halloween' Horror Game marathon this year and it was a good preperation for the DLC, which I will finally play tonight. Well, my opinion of the game hasn't changed a single bit. It has great atmosphere, lots of gore and some very epic jump scares and great chase scenes, but it's not something that I would call scary. I never felt creeped out by the insane people and you get chased around by them a little bit too often to really get scared by them. Another thing which kills the scare department is the predictable gameplay mechanic. You always run into a machine (or something similiar) that needs to be activated and so you have to look for a few fuses or ventil's to finish of that 'puzzle'. You always find those things in a small area in which a guy will roam the halls and will chase the shit out of you. It might be 'scary' in the beginning, but after a while you already expec an enemy as soon as you have to 'search' for something. This really kills the scary atmosphere and makes the game less scary. I know, it sounds like if I don't like the game, while I actually like it a lot. It's just far from 'scariest game of all-time' thanks to it's predictable gameplay mechanics. But damn, that doctor sure is terrifying with his scissors haha

Games finished in 2014 so far :

- The Light
- The Walking Dead
- Assassin's Creed
- Assassin's Creed 2
- Assassin's Creed : Brotherhood
- Assassin's Creed : Revelations
- Assassin's Creed 3
- Assassin's Creed 3 : The Tyranny of King Washington
- Assassin's Creed 4 : Black Flag
- Assassin's Creed 4 : Freedom Cry
- Assassin's Creed : Liberation HD
- Bulletstorm
- BioShock Infinite : Burial at Sea
- Lost Planet 2
- Fable 3
- Battlefield 4
- Doom 3
- Among the Sleep
- Outlast
Post edited September 06, 2014 by DiShuryou
DiShuryou: - Assassin's Creed
- Assassin's Creed 2
- Assassin's Creed 3
Wow, you've played a lot of Assassin's Creed recently. ;)

How would you rank the games, which of them did you like best, which the least? (I haven't played any of them yet and only own the first one, so no spoilers please!)
DiShuryou: - Assassin's Creed
- Assassin's Creed 2
- Assassin's Creed 3
Leroux: Wow, you've played a lot of Assassin's Creed recently. ;)

How would you rank the games, which of them did you like best, which the least? (I haven't played any of them yet and only own the first one, so no spoilers please!)
I have thought that it takes a year to play one assassins creed after another because they will get boring. Or maybe I always try too much go those side missions.
Leroux: Wow, you've played a lot of Assassin's Creed recently. ;)

Yes, because I didn't had much time to play games in the last few years, so I maybe own around 200 games which I haven't finished yet -.-" And so I decided to play through the entire AC series before the next one is released :D

Hmmmm that's a very good and difficult question, because all of them are not very different from eachother. I would say that AC 4 : Black Flag and AC 2 were the best ones, while AC 1 and AC : Liberation were the worst ones. I can't place the others yet, must put some thought into it :D

@Antimateria

Yeah, if you try to do every single side mission they can get boring very fast. After 'Revelations' I just rushed through the main story of the other games, except for Black Flag, because it's side missions were actually fun.
Post edited September 06, 2014 by DiShuryou
DiShuryou: while AC 1 and AC : Liberation were the worst ones.
Ah, well, then I guess if I play AC1, it can only get better afterwards. :D

Shame about Liberation though; I like games with female leads, so this had me curious. :/
DiShuryou: Games finished in 2014 so far :
- Assassin's Creed
- Assassin's Creed 2
- Assassin's Creed 3
A... are you ok? x_x
DiShuryou: while AC 1 and AC : Liberation were the worst ones.
Leroux: Ah, well, then I guess if I play AC1, it can only get better afterwards. :D

Shame about Liberation though; I like games with female leads, so this had me curious. :/
Freedom Cry is very good, and shorter. ;)
Post edited September 06, 2014 by realkman666
Divinity: Original Sin

Nothing short of a masterpiece. Kinda funny, that the one game I played before this one, was Unrest, because the two games are at completely different ends of the spectrum. D:OS had an epic length (took me about 70 hours), whereas Unrest was only about three hours. The battles in D:OS were very fun and there were tons of ways to finish all the enemies: Unrest didn't have any battles. The music and graphics were really great imo: Unrest looked like a children's game with very amateurish (=bad) music. And finally, the story, characters and quests in this game were very interesting, whereas Unrest almost bored me to sleep. It's amazing how different games can be, if the developers are greatly experienced and have a decent budget.

So, as is evident, I really, really enjoyed this game. I would even go as far as saying that this is probably the best RPG I've played in years. At the very least it's my current top contender for this year's GOTY award and as far as my favorite RPGs of all-time go, this might very well be right there on the highest podium with Fallout 2, which thus far I've considered to be my top favorite CRPG. I encourage every RPG fans to pick up this game right now: it's absolutely quality time from start to finish. I only have two minor complaints about the entire game: one, there were sometimes too much hunting for tiny hidden switches and buttons that would reveal hidden rooms, etc. Second, sometimes it was unclear to me what was the main objective/priority, and what's an optional sidequest. A couple of times I was afraid to advance a certain quest too far, in case it would mean skipping a sidequest or two by accident. Eventually, I found out my fears were completely in vain: the game will definitely let you know once you're on the point of no-return, but I didn't know it then. Therefor, I would've liked if the game had explained it a bit better, what's the actual main objective at given moments. Anyway, those complaints really are quite minor. Other than those, it's a perfect game in my opinion. The game could probably be even better on a second run, which I'm probably going to do sometime in the future.

One final point I'd like to go back to, because I only mentioned it so far: the battles are really some of the best I've ever seen on an RPG. This is because of the use of different elements. It's not unlike Magicka, where you can create rain, freeze or zap puddles, explode ooze with fire, and so on. It's incredibly satisfying to create an entire ice rink, then teleport a unsuspecting creature right in the center of it, and once it's his turn, watch him hopelessly trying to get away from the ice, only to fall on his ass and get knocked out. And yes, I said "once it's his turn": the fact that the battles are turn-based made me love them even more. The game is just so much fun. Get it now! You will not regret it.
realkman666: A... are you ok? x_x
Now that I finished all of them I am XD
But playing Liberation HD as the last game was a pain in the ass for sure XD
realkman666: A... are you ok? x_x
DiShuryou: Now that I finished all of them I am XD
But playing Liberation HD as the last game was a pain in the ass for sure XD
Well you got two more coming out later this year, so "enjoy". O_O
Leroux: The Darkness II
AdamR: I got it from a bundle as well, but haven't played it yet.
Your post just made me move it up several spots in my backlog :) It sounds like my type of game.
Then play it... now :) It is really a lot of fun. Especially if you like good stories and brutal fights in your fps.
awalterj: Finally finished Primordia, this game needs no introduction or lengthy review. It's a top notch adventure game and a clear 5 stars, arguably the best Wadjet has published so far, even better than Gemini Rue and Resonance.

I only had two minor gripes with it: The first one is that I'm getting quite annoyed with voice actor Abe Goldfarb, I know he's popular but I just don't like his voices (any of them) and find them rather unconvincing and awkward, it kinda puts a little damper on immersion when you can't help but think oh no it's that voice guy from all the other Wadjet games, is there no escape...this is personal preference however so I don't detract any points for that.
I personally prefer the Blackwell saga to any of WEGs other games, though I haven't tried Primordia, Puzzle Bots or Da New Guys yet. And Abe does a perfect job with Joey IMO.

Edit: Wow, it seems he voiced 3 characters for Emerald City Confidential. I played that game, and it didn't register at all that those 3 may have been voiced by the same guy :)
Post edited September 06, 2014 by kalirion