It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tinyE: Hey! That's something! :D
real.geizterfahr: Fun fact: something is just an anagram of gnome shit O.O
Attachments:
test-45.jpg (34 Kb)
Will this ever be taken care of? Remove the game from sale or remove Securom.
high rated
ShadowOwl: Will this ever be taken care of? Remove the game from sale or remove Securom.
They have their Pot Men™ working on it.
Post edited February 22, 2018 by Lemon_Curry
ShadowOwl: Will this ever be taken care of? Remove the game from sale or remove Securom.
Afair the last message from GOG staff about this issue was from Firek mentioning that the securom entrys are only empty entrys doing nothing. Has this changed or are we still talking about these?

I have contacted Firek in November 2017 or so to remind him of his promise to fix this. Unfortunately I also did not have any luck or even got a reply. Even if it should be just empty entrys doing nothing it cannot be that hard to remove them in the install routine. I can completely understand why people are angry here given how long it has been since it was PROMISED to fix this issue years ago.

I just got an idea. How about a wishlist entry for this specific "feature"? How about additional support tickets written by everybody here in the thread - swamping them with support tickets about this issue telling that we have not forgotten? In my experiences reminding people of their promises again and again (and if they don't answer to even try harder) often is successful.
What I remember the GOG staff explaining is that the SecuROM in this game is inert, and on its own it does nothing.

In fact, the SecuROM files only get installed if you use the multiplayer option (which is defunct anyway) as that runs FEARMP.EXE, so the fix should just be to replace FEARMP.EXE with a dummy executable. Why it is taking so long to do this I've no idea.

Anyway, the SecuROM files are inert, but if you do have some other SecuROM games installed them they may interact with the installed SecuROM files. This said, SecuROM doesn't work on Windows 10 (or on Vista, Win7, 8 and 8.1 once KB3086255 is installed) due to how Microsoft deemed it to be too deeply embedded within the OS so as to be a security risk.
Post edited February 23, 2018 by Korell
low rated
Good lord, I can't believe you lot are still crying about this. Did you know that videos are meant for playing? Think you could manage that. :P
Korell: In fact, the SecuROM files only get installed if you use the multiplayer option (which is defunct anyway) as that runs FEARMP.EXE, so the fix should just be to replace FEARMP.EXE with a dummy executable. Why it is taking so long to do this I've no idea.
I guess the problem is not the file in question but the registry entrys (don't own the game so I cannot test it myself) - still should never take that long.
Korell: In fact, the SecuROM files only get installed if you use the multiplayer option (which is defunct anyway) as that runs FEARMP.EXE, so the fix should just be to replace FEARMP.EXE with a dummy executable. Why it is taking so long to do this I've no idea.
MarkoH01: I guess the problem is not the file in question but the registry entrys (don't own the game so I cannot test it myself) - still should never take that long.
I'm tech idiot, which is a HUUUUGE understatement, but can't you just remove the file?

NOW, that doesn't put GOG in the clear for having it there in the first place, but at least you'll know the game is 100% safe.
high rated
MarkoH01: I guess the problem is not the file in question but the registry entrys (don't own the game so I cannot test it myself) - still should never take that long.
tinyE: I'm tech idiot, which is a HUUUUGE understatement, but can't you just remove the file?

NOW, that doesn't put GOG in the clear for having it there in the first place, but at least you'll know the game is 100% safe.
As I said - in this thread also some registry entrys are mentioned. Of course you could remove them as well but that's not the point here.

1) GOG is selling games completely DRM-free so one should expect they would remove EVERY trace left of the former DRM.
2) GOG promised to do this years(!) ago.

The second point alone is the most important to me. Make a promisem keep a promise. Otherwise don't promise anything at all.
Post edited February 23, 2018 by MarkoH01
high rated
tinyE: I'm tech idiot, which is a HUUUUGE understatement, but can't you just remove the file?

MarkoH01: As I said - in this thread also some registry entrys are mentioned. Of course you could remove them as well but that's not the point here.

1) GOG is selling games completely DRM-free so one should expect they would remove EVERY trace left of the former DRM.
2) GOG promised to do this years(!) ago.

The second point alone is the most important to me. Make a promisem keep a promise. Otherwise don't promise anything at all.
From the Pillars of Eternity release announcement back in 2015:

If you bought the Hero Edition or Champion Edition, and you like the goodies included in the larger editions, all hope is not lost. We're currently working on making edition upgrades available for Pillars of Eternity . Stay tuned for future updates!
3 years later, never happened, if the Definitive Edition hadn't come around it would probably still be without upgrades till this day. I hate to mention 1 bad thing over all the good GOG has done, but when you pay twice the amount than Steam it's hard to forget such an episode.
Ganni1987: From the Pillars of Eternity release announcement back in 2015:

If you bought the Hero Edition or Champion Edition, and you like the goodies included in the larger editions, all hope is not lost. We're currently working on making edition upgrades available for Pillars of Eternity . Stay tuned for future updates!
Ganni1987: 3 years later, never happened, if the Definitive Edition hadn't come around it would probably still be without upgrades till this day. I hate to mention 1 bad thing over all the good GOG has done, but when you pay twice the amount than Steam it's hard to forget such an episode.
O.K. - in 3yrs they should have fixed this as well but the difference is that in this case they MIGHT also need to work with the devs/publishers of the game. In the case of this game they could do everything by themselves.
I think the SecuROM registry entries only get created once the FEARMP.EXE file is called, so if you never click the multiplayer option (or run FEARMP.EXE directly) then it shouldn't leave any SecuROM traces on your machine.

As per tinyE's comment, if GOG just didn't provide the FEARMP.EXE file then I don't think there would be any SecuROM content within the game, though it would probably result in an error as the menu option would still be present in the game and would try to call a non-existent executable. This is why I thought it would just be a case of replacing FEARMP.EXE with a dummy executable, one that either does nothing or just gives a message stating that the multiplayer option is non-functional (which is fine because it really is non-functional due to how the multiplayer was taken out of the game anyway and made standalone.
high rated
Korell: As per tinyE's comment, if GOG just didn't provide the FEARMP.EXE file then I don't think there would be any SecuROM content within the game, though it would probably result in an error as the menu option would still be present in the game and would try to call a non-existent executable. This is why I thought it would just be a case of replacing FEARMP.EXE with a dummy executable, one that either does nothing or just gives a message stating that the multiplayer option is non-functional (which is fine because it really is non-functional due to how the multiplayer was taken out of the game anyway and made standalone.
Or they could just place a duplicate executable of the single player. So both just start the single player game.

Either way though, just another example of GOG's promised soon™ that just falls by the wayside.

*edit* To be fair, they didn't actually say 'soon', but 3 years is beyond the bounds of 'we'll get to it'.
Post edited February 23, 2018 by GR00T
I thought this was fixed. My bad. I addressed it as fixed in my complaint letter. Whoops.
So how about we all open up a support ticket for this?