It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mqstout: EOS may be undesirable, but is it DRM?
If EOS is asked for a licence, then yes. DRM can also be managed through licence keys stored on the system. That's how it actually started. Certain music and video files could only be played if a licence key was found (that's what Microsoft developed wma and wmv for) which had to be aquired earlier online. WIthout that key, the file would not play.
The player did not access the internet.

I tried to install the new version to see if it really DID open the Epic launcher to start, but there are not offline installers for it (yet) and Galaxy only shows the Game of the Century Edition. The Re-Elected version also showed, but only as Epic version, not as GOG version.

So I installed the GOG-Version using the the SR4-GotC offline installer (probably could also have installed the GotC version through Galaxy, but I wanted to be sure). After that, Galaxy downloaded a 10GB patch, converting it to the Re-Elected version. So far so good

Since I already have EOS installed, I renamed it's directory to see what happens when I start the GOG version of SR4-RE.

So this is what happened:
1. I renamed the directory of the Epic launcher.

2. On first launch, the game did want to install the Epic launcher. I denied the installation. A couple of seconds later the game quit to the desktop. This confirms what other people said earlier.

3. On second try I had restored the Epic launcher directory name, the game did start - but without opening the launcher.

4. Then I renamed the directory again, which would not have been possible if the launcher was still open.

5. On try #3 the game would still run without problems, even if the EOS was missing.

Since my Epic launcher was not running at any time since I got the game free on Epic, it could not know that I own it. For it to check online, I would have had to login first. In fact, I just started it right now and it required an update. Seems I didn't have it running for quite some time.

It could be the case that it still had cookies from my last login and before try #2 it used those to get the game information through a DLL without opening the launcher itself and then stored that information locally. But then again it could have done so during try #1, which it didn't.
Before try #2 I should not have restored the directory name, I didn't think of that possibility.

So if anyone didn't install the game yet, it would be nice to try it without repeaing my mistake.
1. Install GOG version of the game
2. rename Epic launcher directory
2. Start GOG version of the Game through Galaxy, deny the installation of the launcher
3. Start it right again.

WIthout further information this would be my conclusion: This does not seem to be intentional, it's too inconsequent. The game installs EOS, but does not use it (the EOS directory can be renamed while playing the game which would not be possible if dlls are in use.)
The GOG version is fucked up and installs bloatware but in the end is still drm free.
Post edited December 08, 2022 by neumi5694
high rated
amok: indeed, when you have no convincing arguments - attack the person. no worries, i will leave you to your echo chamber again. cherioo
Within 36hrs of this thread being started, you wasted the best part of 3x pages of childish universally low-rated rants containing silly sh*t like "All games should be on the list because electricity and DirectX are both DRM too! The list is pointless because in 10,000 years none of the games will be workin!" and did everything you could to derail it. You haven't contributed anything to the list once, just pop-up sporadically with endless hit & run "what is DRM?" thread-crapping then manufacture victimhood when you get called out on it. Pretty much everyone following this from the start can see through the worn out act...

neumi5694: WIthout further information this would be my conclusion: This does not seem to be intentional, it's too inconsequent. The game installs EOS, but does not use it (the EOS directory can be renamed while playing the game which would not be possible if dlls are in use.) The GOG version is fucked up and installs bloatware but in the end is still drm free.
I wouldn't conclude anything without a real "litmus test" done - take 2x PC's, install the game on PC1 (using Epic Launcher / Galaxy if needed), then zip up just the installed game folder, unzip it to a "clean" PC2 (ie, never had any client installed) and see if that works on PC2 just from launching the .exe from the game folder. It sounds annoying, but clients are more than capable of storing / caching various metadata (eg, offline local encrypted copy of games owned / that locally unlocks DLC maybe even using the motherboard HWID of the PC that downloaded it as the decryption key (how CEG works) and stored outside of the client's install folder (eg, in the AppData Local / LocalLow / Roaming, etc, folders, alternate NTFS streams, etc) and merely renaming the Epic Launcher install folder does nothing to stop an EOS aware game reading those directly. Not everyone has that convenience but these days clients are so "involved" you really need 2x PC's to truly guarantee the game will install locally & offline on a different PC at a later date and with no client at all ever installed - exactly what people really want from DRM-Free assurance in practise.

Also, given how SR3 Remastered remains broken without Galaxy running after 18 months, I suggest whoever tests SR4 Re-Elected also includes testing the issues mentioned in that thread (ie, start the game, change the settings / key bindings, etc, then quit then restart and see if the settings were saved from one restart to another without any client running throughout). This crap is exactly what people interested in the list (because they don't want to use a client) want to be aware of to avoid too...
Post edited December 08, 2022 by BrianSim
amok: indeed, when you have no convincing arguments - attack the person. no worries, i will leave you to your echo chamber again. cherioo
BrianSim: Within 36hrs of this thread being started, you wasted the best part of 3x pages of childish universally low-rated rants containing silly sh*t like "All games should be on the list because electricity and DirectX are both DRM too! The list is pointless because in 10,000 years none of the games will be workin!" and did everything you could to derail it. You haven't contributed anything to the list once, just pop-up sporadically with endless hit & run "what is DRM?" thread-crapping then manufacture victimhood when you get called out on it. Pretty much everyone following this from the start can see through the worn out act...
I would have loved to point out the flaw in your argument, but you know....
BrianSim: Within 36hrs of this thread being started, you wasted the best part of 3x pages of childish universally low-rated rants containing silly sh*t like "All games should be on the list because electricity and DirectX are both DRM too! The list is pointless because in 10,000 years none of the games will be workin!" and did everything you could to derail it. You haven't contributed anything to the list once, just pop-up sporadically with endless hit & run "what is DRM?" thread-crapping then manufacture victimhood when you get called out on it. Pretty much everyone following this from the start can see through the worn out act...

neumi5694: WIthout further information this would be my conclusion: This does not seem to be intentional, it's too inconsequent. The game installs EOS, but does not use it (the EOS directory can be renamed while playing the game which would not be possible if dlls are in use.) The GOG version is fucked up and installs bloatware but in the end is still drm free.
BrianSim: I wouldn't conclude anything without a real "litmus test" done - take 2x PC's, install the game on PC1 (using Epic Launcher / Galaxy if needed), then zip up just the installed game folder, unzip it to a "clean" PC2 (ie, never had any client installed) and see if that works on PC2 just from launching the .exe from the game folder. It sounds annoying, but clients are more than capable of storing / caching various metadata (eg, offline local encrypted copy of games owned / that locally unlocks DLC maybe even using the motherboard HWID of the PC that downloaded it as the decryption key (how CEG works) and stored outside of the client's install folder (eg, in the AppData Local / LocalLow / Roaming, etc, folders, alternate NTFS streams, etc) and merely renaming the Epic Launcher install folder does nothing to stop an EOS aware game reading those directly. Not everyone has that convenience but these days clients are so "involved" you really need 2x PC's to truly guarantee the game will install locally & offline on a different PC at a later date and with no client at all ever installed - exactly what people really want from DRM-Free assurance in practise.

Also, given how SR3 Remastered remains broken without Galaxy running after 18 months, I suggest whoever tests SR4 Re-Elected also includes testing the issues mentioned in that thread (ie, start the game, change the settings / key bindings, etc, then quit then restart and see if the settings were saved from one restart to another without any client running throughout). This crap is exactly what people interested in the list (because they don't want to use a client) want to be aware of to avoid too...
SR4 work fine with out the client.
Syphon72: SR4 work fine with out the client.
Which one, SR4 or SR4 Re-Elected? Epic or GOG version? Offline installer or Galaxy? Not saying your wrong but people who come here for offline installers want to know if they work properly and neumi5694 said "there are not offline installers for it yet" only a couple of hours ago. And as Brian said, GOG's SR3 offline installers are still borked so few people are willing to give blind benefit of the doubt to Deep Silver given their long-standing incompetence in being unable to fix that . I definitely want to see half a dozen different people confirm "Yes, the offline installers of SR4R work offline with no client running, no content missing and stuff like key-bindings save too" this time around (and even then I wouldn't buy it out of principle until they fix SR3R too)...
Post edited December 09, 2022 by ListyG
ListyG: Which one, SR4 or SR4 Re-Elected? Epic or GOG version? Offline installer or Galaxy? Not saying your wrong but people who come here for offline installers want to know if they work properly and neumi5694 said "there are not offline installers for it yet" only a couple of hours ago. And as Brian said, GOG's SR3 offline installers are still borked so few people are willing to give blind benefit of the doubt to Deep Silver given their long-standing incompetence in being unable to fix that . I definitely want to see half a dozen different people confirm "Yes, the offline installers of SR4R work offline with no client running, no content missing and stuff like key-bindings save too" this time around (and even then I wouldn't buy it out of principle until they fix SR3R too)...
If you know me, I only use offline installers. I have Saints Row IV: Re-Elected, installed it a day ago on my new gaming laptop, which I do not have Galaxy installed on. The game works 100% without Galaxy and has LAN play for Coop.

I have over 1400 games. Not one needs Galaxy.

The SR remaster is broken not original which work 100% with out Galaxy as well.

Edit: GOG saying I have SR4 Re-Elected, but the shortcut saying it's the game of year edition. So what's going on is the offline installer the old version?? Let try it with Galaxy for you now.
Post edited December 09, 2022 by Syphon72
neumi5694: Hmmm, I checked my library for SR4. While the game has been renamed (old id, new name), the Offline Installers are still the old ones.
setup_saints_row_4_20170523_(12199)

So in case it's true that it now requires the Epic launcher in order to run, backup the game now.
Am I missing something? Playing the game right now with out Epic or Galaxy.
neumi5694: Hmmm, I checked my library for SR4. While the game has been renamed (old id, new name), the Offline Installers are still the old ones.
setup_saints_row_4_20170523_(12199)

So in case it's true that it now requires the Epic launcher in order to run, backup the game now.
Syphon72: Am I missing something? Playing the game right now with out Epic or Galaxy.
Yes, my second post which states at the end that it's still DRM dree.

Looks like the game really is just a mess and tries to install epic bloatware without any reason.

ListyG: Which one, SR4 or SR4 Re-Elected? Epic or GOG version? Offline installer or Galaxy?
GOG version, updated through Galaxyy to Re-Elected version, at first start wants to install EOS, but runs without EOS and Galaxy after that.
I'm so sick about that garbage Deep Silver/Voliton is delivering.
But at least outfits can be saved and the buttons that caused GOG' original SR4 version to crash are gone (like in SR3, finally after 3 years).

BrianSim: I wouldn't conclude anything without a real "litmus test" done - take 2x PC's, install the game on PC1 (using Epic Launcher / Galaxy if needed), then zip up just the installed game folder, unzip it to a "clean" PC2 (ie, never had any client installed) and see if that works on PC2.
Feel free to do so. I am not setting up a new PC for every game I buy.
So far we have no one who actually said that on his machine the game needed the epic launcher to run. Until that happens, I consider the game being DRM free.

It's really just Voliton/DeepSilver delivering their usual "quality" products.
Post edited December 09, 2022 by neumi5694
Syphon72: Edit: GOG saying I have SR4 Re-Elected, but the shortcut saying it's the game of year edition. So what's going on is the offline installer the old version?? Let try it with Galaxy for you now.
I don't think they've released offline installers for Re-Elected yet. Probably another buggy GOG update flagging the old one as 'new'.
Two Point Hospital updated. It still gates some single player content behind online play.
Syphon72: Edit: GOG saying I have SR4 Re-Elected, but the shortcut saying it's the game of year edition. So what's going on is the offline installer the old version?? Let try it with Galaxy for you now.
According to this, the new offline installer should be available soon and replace the old one for good.

BrianSim: I don't think they've released offline installers for Re-Elected yet. Probably another buggy GOG update flagging the old one as 'new'.
Actually the update flag doesn't show the game as updated yet. The only things changed so far are the game's title in the store and the version available through Galaxy (where it still has the old name).
Okay, everyone, I installed the SR4 using Galaxy. Once installed I removed Galaxy, and the game launched fine without it. I did see one issue. If you try opening the game using the Launch Saints Row IV - Re-Elected shortcut, it will try installing EOS. WTF GOG!!! But if you start the game with sr_hv.exe, it will launch without trying to install EOS. The game runs without Galaxy or Epic fine.
mqstout: Two Point Hospital updated. It still gates some single player content behind online play.
If i get it right what you mean...
There is not 'behind online'. This thread is about DRM content or partially online required. This game on GOG do not (anymore) require GOG Galaxy. DLCs not available on GOG just not available on GOG. DLCs related to some online modes which ones removed from game - gone for good. There is no online connection that allow you to have that content in Steam version. That ones been online-content-only and that service was closed.

So none of missing content related to this thread, and only golden toilet+sega cntent related to 'second class citizens' thread.
Since game updated, it need to be recheck again how it work and did they bring that sega 60th + toilet dlc or not (as part of main game, paid DLCs still not listed). If not - so that mena it is 'second class citizens' thread.
Syphon72: Okay, everyone, I installed the SR4 using Galaxy. Once installed I removed Galaxy, and the game launched fine without it. I did see one issue. If you try opening the game using the Launch Saints Row IV - Re-Elected shortcut, it will try installing EOS. WTF GOG!!! But if you start the game with sr_hv.exe, it will launch without trying to install EOS. The game runs without Galaxy or Epic fine.
That's what the whole discussion is about, yes.

This only happens the first time, btw. After that it didn't happen again on my system, no matter if I started it through Galaxy or launching the .exe directly.
Syphon72: Okay, everyone, I installed the SR4 using Galaxy. Once installed I removed Galaxy, and the game launched fine without it. I did see one issue. If you try opening the game using the Launch Saints Row IV - Re-Elected shortcut, it will try installing EOS. WTF GOG!!! But if you start the game with sr_hv.exe, it will launch without trying to install EOS. The game runs without Galaxy or Epic fine.
neumi5694: That's what the whole discussion is about, yes.

This only happens the first time, btw. After that it won't try to do that again.
Ya but you don't have to install EOS on your PC if you use the sr_hv.exe.