It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get your gory kicks, like it's 1996!

<span class="bold">STRAFE&reg;</span>, a fast-paced, roguelike first-person shooter with plenty of guts, gusto, and gung-ho attitude, is coming soon, DRM-free on GOG.com!

The monsters are charging you in droves, your weapons are becoming more and more ridiculous, and the levels rearrange themselves every time you die. Or maybe not - it's hard to tell when there's so much blood spatter in your eyes. But who needs a map, when you've got wicked instincts and insane mobility?

<div class="embedded_video">
<iframe class="embedded_video__file" width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uEmRkMQXRMI?wmode=opaque&amp;rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
Post edited February 10, 2017 by maladr0Id
low rated
looks terrible, this is taking retro graphics to an extreme and comes off pure lazy. gameplay could be fun enough to compensate tho. will take a watch and wait approach
That first game trailer on the steam page. Please GOG, add it to the game goodies!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/442780/
mk47at: The Hexen (and Hexen II) levels are bad, but the Heretic levels are nothing like that. Forcing the player to find secrets (in the Doom/Heretic/Quake meaning of the word) is bad design. In that regard Hexen is (due to the hub system, which increases the amount of possible hiding places) even worse than the Lost Episodes of Spear of Destiny which hide some keys behind pushwalls.
I've replayed Heretic, Hexen and Hexen 2 fairly recently, and while Heretic wasn't as bad, its proto-Hexen elements did leave a much bigger impression than its Doomy heritage. Perhaps I'm somewhat biased due to playing them out of sequence, ie by the time I got to Heretic, my brain was already expecting (and therefore finding) infernal schemes everywhere.
hyperagathon: I've replayed Heretic, Hexen and Hexen 2 fairly recently, and while Heretic wasn't as bad, its proto-Hexen elements did leave a much bigger impression than its Doomy heritage. Perhaps I'm somewhat biased due to playing them out of sequence, ie by the time I got to Heretic, my brain was already expecting (and therefore finding) infernal schemes everywhere.
Okay. Very interesting and surprising. That's the first time I've read or head something like this. The usual complaints about Heretic are: "it's too similar to Doom" , "the enemies have too much health" or "the textures use too many different colours".

I've never finished Hexen or Hexen II because the level design makes me feel disoriented and ultimately dizzy. And I think the class system (which sounds great in theory) with its limited amount of weapons and ammo types is rather boring. On top of that are the centaurs. How could they ever think they were a good addition?

I don't have problems with dizziness playing Doom or Heretic. I actually prefer Heretic over Doom because I like the way the tome of power works, the colourful textures and the absence of enemies with hitscan attacks.
Just using low-res textures, simple gameplay and blocky models does not make a game 1996-ish. In 1996 FPS games consisted in carefully crafted levels, smart enemy and item placing, and players could choose between full-blazing and running gameplay or a slower, more tactical approach. Besides, there was no permadeath at all, saves and quicksaves were the normal thing, and there were puzzles and exploring. It wasn't just running against hordes of "Gauntlet-like" enemies, that began with Painkiller and Serious Sam.

BTW, unless they use many, many different assets and modules, procedural generation gets boring fast. With luck, just an hour into the game you start to see the same familiar places and enemy flocks again and again, and you just lose interest because you know you've seen all content in the game, and there's nothing else to see later, no new places, no new monsters, no new nothing. Without curiosity to explore what's beyond, this becomes Pac-Man or Galaxian, and there's a limit to playing just for points.

It looks like a nice timewaster, tho. Only if it's cheap enough, because it doesn't look retro, it just looks ugly.
duxcorvan: ... carefully crafted levels.. saves and quicksaves were the normal thing, and there were puzzles and exploring.
thank you for keepin' it real.
OK, let's wait and see. Maybe, we'll get a real surprise.
I like the idea of making an oldschool FPS, but this doesn't look good at all.

I'm also sick and tired of this "everything must be procedurally generated" trend.

I'll take masterfully crafted, non-linear levels over procedurally generated crud any day of the week.
Post edited February 13, 2017 by Chubz
Zoidberg: And while the idea is interesting, I don't know. Maybe it'll need some testing.
IAmSinistar: I'm not sold on the idea of procedural levels for this kind of game. A big part of what made Doom and Heretic so great was the level design, where elements were cleverly placed and really creative things done with the design. I suspect this game is going to feel very generic after a couple run-throughs, with every level quickly feeling like more of the same.
This, as I detest rogue-like/lites/permadeath as it's a cop-out for level design and game-play I too love hidden nooks and crannies, just like with the tomb raider of old! treading randomized rooms while continually blasting enemies is fun, but not if your brain has no other way of being stimulated as that get boring after awhile.

Every time I see yet another fuckin' rogue lite/like in the title it's a pass for me.
GOG.com: Get your gory kicks, like it's 1996!

<span class="bold">STRAFE&reg;</span>, a fast-paced, roguelike first-person shooter with plenty of guts, gusto, and gung-ho attitude, is coming soon, DRM-free on GOG.com!

The monsters are charging you in droves, your weapons are becoming more and more ridiculous, and the levels rearrange themselves every time you die. Or maybe not - it's hard to tell when there's so much blood spatter in your eyes. But who needs a map, when you've got wicked instincts and insane mobility?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/uEmRkMQXRMI
Original Strife is far more better.
I am very glad that this game is coming to gog!!!

now dusk as well and i am a happy trigger finger!
Post edited February 13, 2017 by nukem999
being a fan of this era of 3d graphics im really liking what i am seeing and hope that this turns out well. i personally really wish that low poly models, low res textures, and shortened draw distances would show up more often in indie games. so long as the devs avoid the pitfalls of the time (texture warping and pop in). srsly give us more games that look like this.

It's been two days since it was supposed to be released... I've been waiting specifically for the GOG release. So.. when's it going to be available for purchase guys?

desser90: It's been two days since it was supposed to be released... I've been waiting specifically for the GOG release. So.. when's it going to be available for purchase guys?
The dev recently announced it was delayed till May 9th for everything.