It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get your gory kicks, like it's 1996!

<span class="bold">STRAFE&reg;</span>, a fast-paced, roguelike first-person shooter with plenty of guts, gusto, and gung-ho attitude, is coming soon, DRM-free on GOG.com!

The monsters are charging you in droves, your weapons are becoming more and more ridiculous, and the levels rearrange themselves every time you die. Or maybe not - it's hard to tell when there's so much blood spatter in your eyes. But who needs a map, when you've got wicked instincts and insane mobility?

<div class="embedded_video">
<iframe class="embedded_video__file" width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uEmRkMQXRMI?wmode=opaque&amp;rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
Post edited February 10, 2017 by maladr0Id
Randomly generated levels
viperfdl: That's not 1996. In 1996 levels were crafted manually by level designers who sometimes knew what they were doing; sometimes were just throwing out ideas (quite a few of which turned out to be bad), trying to find out what worked; and sometimes were untalented hacks.
:p
There, more accurate. :P
Post edited February 10, 2017 by HunchBluntley
Only one type of enemy, really?

Randomly generated levels
viperfdl: That's not 1996. In 1996 levels were crafted manually by leveldesigners who knew what they where doing.
Absolutely!
Post edited February 11, 2017 by OraEtLabora
I would not call Barony a FPS, it is more a proper 3D rouge-like, same as Delver. But ToG shows that you can have a really fun FPS with randomization.
Zoidberg: Procedurally generated level doesn't mean NO level design, quite the opposite actually.

It does tend to easily feel "samey" but when it's well done, it's quite decent. Procedurally generated games are special tough, much more inclined to show their game designs and mechanics more than their levels.
IAmSinistar: Oh, I'm not saying procedural design is either easy or devoid of creativity. Some of my games use procedural levels. I just think the technique is more suited to some genres than others. Dungeon crawlers and platformers for example can work quite well procedurally, whereas FPS and RTS games benefit more from hand-built levels that allow for strategy and cunning item placement.

I'm not saying this game is doomed (heh) to fail. Just that it would probably be more rewarding for me as a player if it had meticulous level design rather than modular. It's like the difference between a professionally prepared meal and a buffet - the buffet you can keep going back to, but it will never beat a meal precisely and lovingly prepared. Not to say a buffet is necessarily a bad thing, just not my first choice for this kind of "food".
Well said.
With that in mind, I just watched that Kickstarter video - out of this world :D
ReynardFox: Call me a cynic but I feel a large amount of games that go for procedurally generated levels, do so explicitly because it takes a whole lot less effort than actually planning out and building cohesive levels.
Not true, coding a level generator, and creating the "building blocks" it uses, takes at least as much effort as fully pre-designed levels. ( At least if it's done well. ) But the real problem is that you need people actually capable of designing fun levels. If they lack the experience, creativity and dedication, then you'll end up with a boring or frustrating game, no matter what techniques the devs use.

As for STRAFE, I'm skeptical about the graphics and procedural levels too, but I'll wait and see. Could turn out to be really fun.
amok: I would not call Barony a FPS, it is more a proper 3D rouge-like, same as Delver. But ToG shows that you can have a really fun FPS with randomization.
Yeah, I guess Barony only has the "first-person" aspect, since all of the enemies are at the same level as the player. Plus, attacking the enemies is optional until you get to the final boss. Maybe a better FPS roguelike would be Eldritch. I'm still surprised that game isn't on GOG. :P
Awesome!
IAmSinistar: Looks fun, and clearly is referencing Strife, right down to the release year. The video sucks though, with the constant interruptions by the usual useless fanboy press quotes. Would rather see the game, ya know?
I played the Broken Build. Believe the quotes. It was bitch ass hard though and unbeatable even in easy mode...
Nice to know it's coming to gog, hope it delivers on what everyone wanted that backed the kickstarter.
viperfdl: That's not 1996. In 1996 levels were crafted manually by level designers who sometimes knew what they were doing; sometimes were just throwing out ideas (quite a few of which turned out to be bad), trying to find out what worked; and sometimes were untalented hacks.
HunchBluntley: There, more accurate. :P
Nitpicking smartass! ;p
HunchBluntley: There, more accurate. :P
viperfdl: Nitpicking smartass! ;p
I played and read about/heard about enough mediocre and incredibad games back then to have no illusions about such "good old" games. ;D
hyperagathon: Doom, sure (and Quake / Duke / Blood / Shadow Warrior). But the level design in Heretic (and Hexen) I would call bad. It proudly displays its sadistic tendencies towards the player at every step, and I was never sure if it was because the Raven level designers enjoyed torturing people or just couldn't remove themselves from their perspective of all-knowing designers to actually realize that obfuscation isn't all that good a technique when it comes to player enjoyment.
The Hexen (and Hexen II) levels are bad, but the Heretic levels are nothing like that. Forcing the player to find secrets (in the Doom/Heretic/Quake meaning of the word) is bad design. In that regard Hexen is (due to the hub system, which increases the amount of possible hiding places) even worse than the Lost Episodes of Spear of Destiny which hide some keys behind pushwalls.
tremere110: Might want to change that to a lowercase h in holocaust. The uppercase H specifically refers to the mass murder of Jews by Nazis in World War 2. While I generally don't care about proper capitalization in most cases - taken with the phrase above some people might get the impression that Strafe may be about something it is not.
IwubCheeze: I'm pretty sure most people here aren't that stupid.
Personally, I got sidetracked. Instead of reading a sales pitch about game, I was suddenly analyzing how I felt about their use of the word Holocaust - how the Holocaust has been exploited in entertainment such as the ILSA exploration movies and how their game, with its more innocent and generic gore traditions isn't really fitting into this more 'real' gore.

Without going into ethical debate stuff, I think it is bad writing when their choice of words sidetrack me like that. Very few people (or so I hope) would read the word Holocaust and just see it as a neutral synonym for 'awesome gore'. The natural reaction would be to mentally take a step back and ask 'is that okay'. Maybe only for a few secs, then you shrugs and read on, but still, bad writing!

The game looks good, though. The big question is if the gameplay is twenty years dated. But the weapon upgrades and gore engine looks real solid, and I think permadeath would fit the genre.

Edit: Removed really irritating typo
Post edited February 11, 2017 by KasperHviid
amok: I would not call Barony a FPS, it is more a proper 3D rouge-like, same as Delver.
I wouldn't call Barony a rouge-like, it's more of a proper eyeshadow.

<.<
ALL MY MONEYS IS YOURS! JUST... OMG.. CAPS LOCK...

So happy right now, SO beyond happy!?!!!!

Developers thank you for using GOG.com <3 <3 <3 <3