It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get your gory kicks, like it's 1996!

<span class="bold">STRAFE&reg;</span>, a fast-paced, roguelike first-person shooter with plenty of guts, gusto, and gung-ho attitude, is coming soon, DRM-free on GOG.com!

The monsters are charging you in droves, your weapons are becoming more and more ridiculous, and the levels rearrange themselves every time you die. Or maybe not - it's hard to tell when there's so much blood spatter in your eyes. But who needs a map, when you've got wicked instincts and insane mobility?

<div class="embedded_video">
<iframe class="embedded_video__file" width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uEmRkMQXRMI?wmode=opaque&amp;rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
Post edited February 10, 2017 by maladr0Id
IAmSinistar: In principal procedural design should mean "infinite replayability", but without the human touch of creative design it more often means "bland repetition".
Couldn't agree more on this.

Call me a cynic but I feel a large amount of games that go for procedurally generated levels, do so explicitly because it takes a whole lot less effort than actually planning out and building cohesive levels.
Zoidberg: And while the idea is interesting, I don't know. Maybe it'll need some testing.
IAmSinistar: I'm not sold on the idea of procedural levels for this kind of game. A big part of what made Doom and Heretic so great was the level design, where elements were cleverly placed and really creative things done with the design. I suspect this game is going to feel very generic after a couple run-throughs, with every level quickly feeling like more of the same.
Procedurally generated level doesn't mean NO level design, quite the opposite actually.

It does tend to easily feel "samey" but when it's well done, it's quite decent. Procedurally generated games are special tough, much more inclined to show their game designs and mechanics more than their levels.

It feels like they've taken their 1996 feel and added a more present game design bit.

Anyone is free to like it or hate it tough. Of course.
This discussion is fun. For most 'Roguelite' games [correct: RPM] - especially FPS types - 'randomly generated' has absolutely nothing to do with 'procedural generation'. Levels/Rooms usually are handcrafted just as it was in Doom etc. but their appearance and/or order is randomized.

So yeah, I am definitely looking forward to STRAFE. Who knows if it'll actually be good but at least I'm gonna play it before throwing around any educated opinions. ;)
Post edited February 10, 2017 by 8BitChris
Zoidberg: Procedurally generated level doesn't mean NO level design, quite the opposite actually.

It does tend to easily feel "samey" but when it's well done, it's quite decent. Procedurally generated games are special tough, much more inclined to show their game designs and mechanics more than their levels.
Oh, I'm not saying procedural design is either easy or devoid of creativity. Some of my games use procedural levels. I just think the technique is more suited to some genres than others. Dungeon crawlers and platformers for example can work quite well procedurally, whereas FPS and RTS games benefit more from hand-built levels that allow for strategy and cunning item placement.

I'm not saying this game is doomed (heh) to fail. Just that it would probably be more rewarding for me as a player if it had meticulous level design rather than modular. It's like the difference between a professionally prepared meal and a buffet - the buffet you can keep going back to, but it will never beat a meal precisely and lovingly prepared. Not to say a buffet is necessarily a bad thing, just not my first choice for this kind of "food".
Sturmrabe: From the Storepage:

About: STRAFE® is the fastest, bloodiest, deadliest, most adjective-abusing, action-packed first-person shooter of 1996.

Looks like someone mixed up the release date with the advertising.
That was tongue-in-cheek, not a typo. :P
8BitChris: [...] 'Roguelite' games [correct: RPM] [...]
I rather like your term (for the uninitiated: "RPM" in this case is "randomized permadeath machine"), and hope it catches on. Maybe then "roguelike" can slumber in obscurity once more. (It's a beautiful dream, anyway!)
Post edited February 10, 2017 by HunchBluntley
Yes! I'm so glad this game is coming to GOG! It looks like a roguelike homage to Quake 1.
Post edited February 10, 2017 by IronArcturus
As someone already told, looks like Quake 1 but with bilinear filtering disabled in QuakeGL. Also some textures gives that neat Doom feeling. ;p
Zoidberg: Procedurally generated level doesn't mean NO level design, quite the opposite actually.

IAmSinistar: Oh, I'm not saying procedural design is either easy or devoid of creativity. Some of my games use procedural levels. I just think the technique is more suited to some genres than others. Dungeon crawlers and platformers for example can work quite well procedurally, whereas FPS and RTS games benefit more from hand-built levels that allow for strategy and cunning item placement.

I'm not saying this game is doomed (heh) to fail. Just that it would probably be more rewarding for me as a player if it had meticulous level design rather than modular. It's like the difference between a professionally prepared meal and a buffet - the buffet you can keep going back to, but it will never beat a meal precisely and lovingly prepared. Not to say a buffet is necessarily a bad thing, just not my first choice for this kind of "food".
I don't think that procedural generation should be exclusive to a certain subset of genres but I agree with you on the fact that some gain or lose more from such design usage.
Sturmrabe: From the Storepage:

About: STRAFE® is the fastest, bloodiest, deadliest, most adjective-abusing, action-packed first-person shooter of 1996.

Looks like someone mixed up the release date with the advertising.
HunchBluntley: That was tongue-in-cheek, not a typo. :P
8BitChris: [...] 'Roguelite' games [correct: RPM] [...]
HunchBluntley: I rather like your term (for the uninitiated: "RPM" in this case is "randomized permadeath machine"), and hope it catches on. Maybe then "roguelike" can slumber in obscurity once more. (It's a beautiful dream, anyway!)
Well Rogue must be the first RPM then. But it's true because I prefer the term rogue lite myself as most of the games put in that categoiry nowadays do way too many things differently then Rogue.
Post edited February 10, 2017 by Zoidberg
Having enjoyed Tower of Guns & Ziggurat, I'll probably give this a shot depending on the price offered. While this type of games tend to get "more of the same" the longer you play, if their gameplay is refined they're can actually be quite entertaining in shorter doses.
mqstout: How can a "roguelike" FPS be fun? Half of the fun of FPSs, to me, is learning the levels...
https://www.gog.com/game/tower_of_guns
mqstout: How can a "roguelike" FPS be fun? Half of the fun of FPSs, to me, is learning the levels...
Wouldn't winning in an unknown map require more skill, however?
If you learn the layout of a level, at a certain point you'll just end up repeating the same N tactics* over and over.
(often copied from other people)
Post edited February 10, 2017 by phaolo
YES! I expected this to be released at GOG since it's a game published by Devolver Digital and most of their stuff get's a GOG release. This will be an instant buy for me. Is the release date for GOG the same as the STEAM version?
amok: https://www.gog.com/game/tower_of_guns
Don't forget and [url=https://www.gog.com/game/ziggurat]Ziggurat!
high rated
Randomly generated levels
That's not 1996. In 1996 levels were crafted manually by leveldesigners who knew what they where doing.
:p
viperfdl: That's not 1996. In 1996 levels were crafted manually by leveldesigners who knew what they where doing.
:p
My thoughts exactly! Modern games don't hold a candle usually to the masters (e.g, Duke 3d, Unreal 1), let alone a roguelike being able to.
Post edited February 10, 2017 by mqstout