It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

An ancient evil has returned to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out. The fate of Faerun lies in your hands. Alone, you may resist. But together, you can overcome.

Larian Studios have just announced that they are developing and publishing Baldur’s Gate III. Created in close collaboration with the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast, Baldur’s Gate III is based off current D&D mechanics and spells and is the official new chapter in the legendary series.

Baldur’s Gate III will push the boundaries of the RPG genre and offer a rich narrative with unparalleled player freedom, high-stakes decisions, unique companion characters and memorable combat. It is Larian Studios’ biggest production ever and will be playable together with friends or as a single-player adventure.

Prepare for the return of a malevolent presence to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out, corrupting everything that remains in the Forgotten Realms.

Alone you may resist, but together you can overcome. Gather your party.

Baldur’s Gate III Early Access coming to GOG.COM on October 6th!
I'm hoping it's not real-time combat. Here's to hoping.
RyaReisender: No, Drow are not available as player race in 5E, not even with all the official extra races that are not included in the core book.

WotC stated at one point that they don't consider Drow a good player race, because their inherently evil nature only causes disturbances and fights between players, which is considered a pretty bad thing in P&P.

Half of the official adventures end up with some Drow being the evil master mind behind whatever the problem is, though.
And what the fuck is Drizzt Do'Urden and all his half gazillion player clones?

I mean seriously, if they want to ban them because they are OP they should have said so, people would have thought that with all these political correctness people would become less, not more racist...
oldschool: I'm hoping it's not real-time combat. Here's to hoping.
Well it's Larian they're especially good at turn based combat and they know it (as evident with Divinity:OS I + II) so there's hope.

And generally: I can imagine only few as suited for this as Larian... count me as effing HYPED!
Mafwek: And what the fuck is Drizzt Do'Urden and all his half gazillion player clones?

I mean seriously, if they want to ban them because they are OP they should have said so, people would have thought that with all these political correctness people would become less, not more racist...
I think their reasoning is good. P&P is really more fun if everybody is good-aligned or neutral. You really don't want players stealing from each other or attacking each other or have one player play out an elaborate prisoner torture scene while all your other players around feel really uncomfortable about it.

Of course the DM could just make a houserule "No fighting each other, no stealing each other, no torture scenes", but it kind of breaks the immersion if a DM has to stop a player's character.
RyaReisender: I think their reasoning is good. P&P is really more fun if everybody is good-aligned or neutral. You really don't want players stealing from each other or attacking each other or have one player play out an elaborate prisoner torture scene while all your other players around feel really uncomfortable about it.

Of course the DM could just make a houserule "No fighting each other, no stealing each other, no torture scenes", but it kind of breaks the immersion if a DM has to stop a player's character.
First of all, if players and dungeon master want fighting between PC-s then it's not more fun. Second, Good and Evil aligned party members won't necessarily come to blows - there will be conflicts, but not fighting. After all, Chaotic and Lawful PC-s are also likely to come to blows. Third, as Drizzt demonstrates, Drow can be good, Drow aren't evil outsiders or undead. Their alignment is their own to choose.

So no, I think their reasoning is bollocks.
sacetas: A single stadia unit which scales up at the google datacenters is using Debian as its base with Vulkan API running on AMD hardware with a Vega GPU. The stadia SDK the developers target handles the multiplayer aspect, input abstraction via SDL, saves, state of the game being tracked, runtime environment to target..

What it all means that a game developed for Stadia means your game engine can run on Debian (a gnu+linux distro) natively and use the AMD llinux driver stack for vulkan (RADV or AMDVLK).

So we expect a port to linux can be done if you put in that effort to port your engine. The vulkan API support in linux is excellent for both AMD and Nvidia. The netwoking support is already present in your engine and you don't rip it out and create a seperate version of engine just to integrate it with stadia - it'll be extended to handle networking exposed by stadia SDK. So a full blown game port for gnu+linux should be easier to do now for larian/ or any studio whcih targets Stadia than before.
You can bet your life that most of the games running in Stadia will be doing so on Windows VMs. Or Wine setups.
any idea what III is about? Maybe sons and daughters of the original protagonists ;)
Niggles: any idea what III is about? Maybe sons and daughters of the original protagonists ;)
What I've read, it will not have much to do with the Baalspawn story. Baal exists, but that's the extent of it.
Niggles: any idea what III is about? Maybe sons and daughters of the original protagonists ;)
It's about 100 years after the events of Baldur's Gate 2 so some characters might still be alive, who knows?
well, it's going to be interesting how that works out (mechanics wise and Larians concept of classic rpg etc)

but I think they would have had (nearly) the same amount of hype but less confusion if they just called it "Return to Baldur's Gate" or something like that (like, then the timeskip would be more implied)
repe666: Dear gaming God!

Please not the same fighting system as in DOS2

And please do not let Larian be the J. J. Abrams of Gaming! (Gene Rodenberry knows what I am talking about - may God rest his soul)

Besides of that I believe in Larian to make a decent and Baldurs Gate - worthy story.
Yeah, definately this!

DOS2 had such great aspects no question, but the terrible gameplay mechanics shurely were none of it.

Would it be DnD 3 or 3.5 I'd be quite amazed at the news. Because the Ruleset would provide the gameplay mechanics, and that way offer what Larian games lack the most.
But with the 5e I'm a bit hesitant... a lot of streamlined/watered aspects in it...

Still, probably the best chance for a Larian game to finally offer a consistent feeling world and gameplay.
On the other side... swordcoast legends also did screw up DnD royally... (partially the fault of the abysmal 4e, but just partially)
Will the game be in 3D or isometric 2D?
Nicole28: Will the game be in 3D or isometric 2D?
1+2 were sort of isometric, i own the games, got them as soon as they arrived in our local shops ( years ago on retail nice hardcover box nice (paper) manual).

Watching some very short videos it lloks like its no BG like BG1+2, i fear it will be a 3d like engine maybe 3d FP or 3dperson 3d, it will be a different engine i guess.

Many good classic game got the 3d engine, treatment, the majority will probably love BG3, imho RPG games should not be 3d., only 2d. or 2.5 d but not the 3d FPP.

3d imho is perfect for great games like Call of Duty and every other 3d shooting games, Fallout got the 3d treatment, even the 'sequel' to Beneath a steel sky is 3d, i loved the first one, got it at release long time ago ( AMIGA) and later on PC, will skip this new version though.

Anyway cant get used to games that started 2d turned into fpp /3d games.
high rated
People seem having not learned anything from the modern state of game development industry. They started to sing "Preorder! Preorder!" as soon as they see a familiar title.

The profiting parasitizing on the gold titles of the past continues. Now Larian, the makers of L.E.D.Wars, goodness gratious! And the creators of the endless Divinity mediocrity routine.

Nah. No preorder, no release day purchases, no feeding the DLC conveyor. Let's meet in, say, three years. Maybe. Probably. Extremely unlikely.
gamesfreak64: 1+2 were sort of isometric, i own the games, got them as soon as they arrived in our local shops ( years ago on retail nice hardcover box nice (paper) manual).
Yeah, me too. I would prefer a similar isometric design, but with just a little more dash of the stylistic. The trailer doesn't reveal much, but since the game is called Baldur's Gate 3, I'm guessing it will still take place within the southern coast of Faerun at the lands of Am. What are your thoughts?
Post edited June 07, 2019 by Nicole28