It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

An ancient evil has returned to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out. The fate of Faerun lies in your hands. Alone, you may resist. But together, you can overcome.

Larian Studios have just announced that they are developing and publishing Baldur’s Gate III. Created in close collaboration with the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast, Baldur’s Gate III is based off current D&D mechanics and spells and is the official new chapter in the legendary series.

Baldur’s Gate III will push the boundaries of the RPG genre and offer a rich narrative with unparalleled player freedom, high-stakes decisions, unique companion characters and memorable combat. It is Larian Studios’ biggest production ever and will be playable together with friends or as a single-player adventure.

Prepare for the return of a malevolent presence to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out, corrupting everything that remains in the Forgotten Realms.

Alone you may resist, but together you can overcome. Gather your party.

Baldur’s Gate III Early Access coming to GOG.COM on October 6th!
Tarhiel: Yes, you can start Siege of Dragonspear without playing BG1 :)
I was rather thinking about Tales of the Sword Coast / Throne of Baal - but I checked and it seems it's perfectly possible to play them as a separate games. In both cases you get high level characters with quality equipment. I guess no more excuses for me then :-D
I have a divided heart about this game:
I am a big fan of the original Baldur's Gate saga, and anything done by Larian, so this should be a must-buy for me. But I am also a grumpy old AD&D player, and I wouldn't touch anything based on the modern D&D editions with the end of a pole... What should I do?
Lone_Scout: What should I do?
Give the game a chance. :) It deserves at least this.
Tarhiel: Yes, you can start Siege of Dragonspear without playing BG1 :)

What I do not understand is, that although by the end of the SoD I was level 11, when I imported my save to BF2:EE, it nerfed my character to level 9 - why did they do additional adventures when they didn´t allow you to keep the experience is beyond me.

That I can understand :)
nightcraw1er.488: That’s because SoD is nothing to do with baldurs Gate. Baldurs gate was a complete game that they tried to squeeze in some political statement in between to validate their blatant cash grab. I would recommend anyone who is a fan of baldurs gate to avoid like the plague. If you want more content use big world setup and play the whole game with a ton of mods.
I would disagree - bashing of Beamdog is misplaced with SoD: The plot itself is good and they put in the effort to go the extra mile (calling the former voice actors from BG1 - it´s not granted, just look at Hitman 5 or Thi4f and how it backfired on devs, not listening to fans who wanted the voice actors back), what wasn´t good though was the addon clearly preferred a certain decisions over others, which were undeveloped/straightforward irrational.

They obviously bite off bigger piece than they could chew in this regard and addon would definitely prosper from more linear story approach.
Sorry for not being more specific, but that would be massive spoilers.
low rated
Lone_Scout: I have a divided heart about this game:
I am a big fan of the original Baldur's Gate saga, and anything done by Larian, so this should be a must-buy for me. But I am also a grumpy old AD&D player, and I wouldn't touch anything based on the modern D&D editions with the end of a pole... What should I do?
Grow up, probably.
5th Edition has some good stuff like magic items are more rare. I just hated DOS2, when magic items were everywhere and still people were acting like they are poor and using some dirty robes and such. Ive this awesome magical sword but yet I like to eat some cockroach soup.
Post edited September 14, 2020 by Cyberway
Cyberway: 5th Edition has some good stuff like magic items are more rare. I just hated DOS2, when magic items were everywhere and still people were acting like they are poor and using some dirty robes and such. Ive this awesome magical sword but yet I like to eat some cockroach soup.
Sure. The D:OS games are too overburdened with magic for my taste, but they are very good RPGs nonetheless. And I like Divine Divinity as much as any of the BG games.
I'll keep BG3 on my wishlist until I made up my mind. Probably the price will weight on my decision more than anything else :)
Wait and see I guess. From what I gathered over the years the 5th Ed. is much closer to 3rd/2nd Ed than the 4th Ed. But that don't change that they royally fucked up the Forgotten Realms setting with the introduction of the 4th Ed. If you where never into that or only from the CRPGs I think you should be fine.
nightcraw1er.488: That’s because SoD is nothing to do with baldurs Gate. Baldurs gate was a complete game that they tried to squeeze in some political statement in between to validate their blatant cash grab. I would recommend anyone who is a fan of baldurs gate to avoid like the plague. If you want more content use big world setup and play the whole game with a ton of mods.
Tarhiel: I would disagree - bashing of Beamdog is misplaced with SoD: The plot itself is good and they put in the effort to go the extra mile (calling the former voice actors from BG1 - it´s not granted, just look at Hitman 5 or Thi4f and how it backfired on devs, not listening to fans who wanted the voice actors back), what wasn´t good though was the addon clearly preferred a certain decisions over others, which were undeveloped/straightforward irrational.

They obviously bite off bigger piece than they could chew in this regard and addon would definitely prosper from more linear story approach.
Sorry for not being more specific, but that would be massive spoilers.
For me the story arch was complete regardless of all the other stuff.
Beamdog will always hold the place for proving that money for old food is an ongoing concern, and also proving that others could do it as well, for example KoA: reshaded, the vastly expensive middle finger to GOG customers. Must have been a proud day at the dog offices.

As for this game, did t like OS 1/2, so hoping this will turn out better.
Just curious, from someone who played AD&D 2.5 and found 3.0 a bit weird: What do you make of Pathfinder?

I hear that for 5.0 they took some elements from modern RPG like Savage Worlds in order to make it more cinematic, although others say it is too much condescending to players . And, generally, most seem to complain about the approach to multiclassing in 3.0 and beyond.

But if 5.0 was more flexible and tried to shed some of the worst design shortcomings of D&D, while keeping the flavour, that would not be too bad, right?

Also they say that Pathfinder is definitely offers more complex mechanics than 5.0. Which might make 5.0 better for tabletop and 3.5 better for computer games, probably. Unless the developer wants to embrace the freedom that a simpler system offers.
Carradice: Just curious, from someone who played AD&D 2.5 and found 3.0 a bit weird: What do you make of Pathfinder?
TBH, I've never tried Pathfinder, neither the TTRPG nor the videogame... I seem to be stuck in the past XD
Carradice: Just curious, from someone who played AD&D 2.5 and found 3.0 a bit weird: What do you make of Pathfinder?
Lone_Scout: TBH, I've never tried Pathfinder, neither the TTRPG nor the videogame... I seem to be stuck in the past XD
Fine enough :D

I guess that in PC games, it matters less if the system has quirks, while on tabletop, both the director and the players suffer them in full strength
It is not a strategy genre. Why mark it as strategy?..

I hear that for 5.0 they took some elements from modern RPG like Savage Worlds in order to make it more cinematic, although others say it is too much condescending to players . And, generally, most seem to complain about the approach to multiclassing in 3.0 and beyond.

But if 5.0 was more flexible and tried to shed some of the worst design shortcomings of D&D, while keeping the flavour, that would not be too bad, right?

Also they say that Pathfinder is definitely offers more complex mechanics than 5.0. Which might make 5.0 better for tabletop and 3.5 better for computer games, probably. Unless the developer wants to embrace the freedom that a simpler system offers.
I found pathfinder to be a bit off to begin with, it has grown on me and is pretty fun, we introduced many house rules with pathfinder and the later dnd versions for stuff that seemed to silly, we have not been using the Combat manuever D/B stuff.

Change usually takes a bit of getting used to, f.e. moving from the 2.0 multiclass system to the "new" one was weird to begin with but I prefer it now. Stat progression also way better now, going from max 25 (I always disliked that stats stopped at 25) to basically unlimited now if you feel like it.

But, that is my opinion and everyone has their own :)
StingingVelvet: Maybe I'm weird but I would never play early access, I want to wait for the full experience. So as long as GOG gets it then, I'm good.
Thank God you're weird.
Attachments:
fog.png (169 Kb)