It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
joppo: Credit where it is due, they recently attempted to put a bit of work onto something else. We finally got a Sort by price. That is still miles away from being enough, but it appears that finally someone decided to put one dev into coding some of the most requested features.
nightcraw1er.488: Only for a select few as far as I am aware.
Sure it hasn't been rolled out for everyone, but it makes zero sense to put in the work only to permanently restrict it to a random subset of the userbase. What makes sense however is that they are rolling out this feature in batches; in that case if it were to work in Dev and QA but not in Production they wouldn't have to deal with everyone pissed off at once.
And I assume the new page might be more of a resource hog for their servers, so it would be smart to roll it out for a new set of users only after confirming there is enough room to accomodate them or bringing extra hardware. Then again until everyone has the new feature.

My point is that the fact they're taking their time rolling it out doesn't change the fact that someone worked in something other than Galaxy for once.
low rated
Baby steps.
low rated
rjbuffchix: Such people may be part of the boycott but they are certainly not helping me and those who care about DRM-free at all. In fact I would say they make it even more difficult for us.
GamezRanker: And one might also say that deriding/chastising/shaming/etc others who aren't as hardline against DRM doesn't do much to help the cause of DRM-free(and those who support it) much either.

Also add to that that such words/posts/thoughts often come off(even if not intended) as an attempt to "pass the buck(blame)" onto others and/or to virtue signal......i.e. as if one is saying/thinking "the biggest reason that DRM exists is not because of greedy companies, it's because these other people aren't against DRM free as much as myself".
Oh I blame the greedy companies first and foremost, but I don't think customers accepting it are devoid of blame. It is not my intention to virtue signal or take away attention from the boycott. In fact it is to call attention to the boycott. If someone like me is primarily boycotting because of what I view as increasing DRM, then people okay with increasing DRM or some DRM or DRM-lite etc are not really helping my particular cause. The same way if someone else is boycotting because they disapprove of the adult games, I freely admit I am opposed to their particular cause. The boycott itself though I think can be viewed as general dissatisfaction; within that, it is clear that different individuals hold different and potentially opposing stances.
low rated
Put me on the ''People who are sympathetic to the concept:'' list as while I won't boycott GOG as I believe they still need revenue coming in on some level for CDPR to be willing to keep GOG afloat even if GOG is what I believe the term is a ''Loss leader'' for good PR for CDPR where the losses can be justified for a long term gain .. Aswell as I want DRM free games and Gog still seems the best place to get em even if I buy from other drm free storefronts .. But I have gained a hardline stance of ''only buy games on deep enough discount from Gog till they clean up their behavior with only exceptions being if a game dev/studio keeps their work IE Bright mermory dev/Studio keeping there work of giving a full fledge game free to those who got the earlier game.. ''
low rated
kblazer883: Go ahead and put yourself on the sympathetic list. Otherwise change the title of the forum name to, "Boycotting 2021-2022 (except for sales)"
Time4Tea: I'd like to point out that no hard and fast rules were ever set for how people should enact the boycott. It has always been said since the start of the thread that people are welcome to boycott in their own way and that people who are significantly reducing their spending on GOG.com can be considered to be boycotting.

I decided to purchase a couple of things in the January sale (at very deep discounts) because:

- as a gesture of goodwill, to show that I don't hate GOG (as several naysayers keep insinuating)
- to cut myself some slack, having boycotted the store for a year (which was the original intention)
- I was somewhat satisfied with the outcome of the Hitman incident and said at the time that I would consider offering a goodwill 'olive branch' (I believe in using the carrot as well as the stick)

The amount I spent was 10% of what I spent on Zoom Platform over the past year. You're entitled to your opinions, but I'm not a black-or-white person and in my opinion someone who is drastically reducing their spending can still be considered to be an effective boycotter.
How you choose to air your grievances with GOG is your business. My only concern is that you are now saying that you can boycott GOG and still buy stuff from them. You can air your grievances however you choose, but you cannot call what you are doing a boycott if that is not what you are doing. You cannot change the definition of the word to suit your wants. To me, it boils down to integrity. You either have the integrity to stick to a boycott (as defined in every place I checked it) or the integrity to change your own status to sympathetic. Maybe consider changing the topic title to "Boycott except for good sales".

That's why I said to add yourself to the sympathetic list rather than the boycott list. It is consistent with others throughout this topic. If you won't show consistancy and integrity in your actions, my belief is that your grievances are probably not as stated.
amok: nah, as soon as you buy aproduct, you are just setting the price to which you are selling out. basically, when the price is right, you drop your principles.

There are no definition of boycott which invlolves limited engagment in any way. Fine, you want to shop less or spend less monies here, but thats far away from boycotting.

[appeals to dictionary definitions]
rjbuffchix: I am one of the people who consider myself boycotting with drastically reduced spending. What your post misses is how language works on a fundamental level. The fact that people in this topic have adopted the term "boycott" despite limited engagement and are basically agreeable to it, means this is now part of the definition, at least here amongst those who know and agree. For all you know, when the new edition of a dictionary releases, it may include our definition too alongside the others :) After all, people's speech doesn't simply wait for the next edition of a dictionary to come out or wikipedia to be updated...it is an organic ever-evolving phenomenon. No matter how much that literally...or is it figuratively... upsets others.
I know that facts are no-no in today's society, but NO. You can call what you are doing whatever you want to yourself. You can call yourself a pigeon if you want to, but when you start telling others that you are doing something that you are not it is called lying ( if no one knows what that means anymore ask your parents or look it up ). While the situation that started this thread may be ever-evolving (according to the thread posts it hasn't evolved at all on GOG's end) when you change what you are doing you don't get to change the language to suit your desires.
Post edited January 06, 2022 by kblazer883
low rated
Vendor-Lazarus: It's the truth though. DRM doesn't only exist because greedy companies, but people accepting and buying from said greedy companies.
I mean that the ones mainly keeping such practices(DRM/lootboxes/etc) going are the ones who just blindly buy whatever game their favorite company/series puts out.....and much less so those people that some others think "aren't boycotting hard enough".

=-=-=-=

Time4Tea: As another example, some 9300 users have signed the wishlist request for Devotion; however, GOG have not had the decency to even acknowledge or respond to those 'many gamers'. So much for them being willing to listen to their user base.
A multitude of game playing individuals, one might say, yet Gog does nothing. Must not be the correct multitude of game playing individuals, I guess. ;|
Post edited January 07, 2022 by GamezRanker
low rated
rjbuffchix: Oh I blame the greedy companies first and foremost, but I don't think customers accepting it are devoid of blame. It is not my intention to virtue signal or take away attention from the boycott. In fact it is to call attention to the boycott. If someone like me is primarily boycotting because of what I view as increasing DRM, then people okay with increasing DRM or some DRM or DRM-lite etc are not really helping my particular cause.
But how do you know they're not helping(or even harming) the cause, other than your gut feeling?

Also(if I may say so), you seem to focus more on how others are "harming" the cause, and less on ways you could help the cause better. For instance, complaining here on Gog forums isn't as effective as complaining on other sites would be(as shown in the case of the Hitman GOTY removal, which happened in large part due to people complaining on other sites).

I mean yes, one doesn't have to do things they don't want to, but to hear you talk so passionately about the cause of DRM free and then stick to mainly posting on the Gog forums....do you see what i'm getting at, here?
Post edited January 07, 2022 by GamezRanker
low rated
kblazer883: How you choose to air your grievances with GOG is your business. My only concern is that you are now saying that you can boycott GOG and still buy stuff from them. You can air your grievances however you choose, but you cannot call what you are doing a boycott if that is not what you are doing. You cannot change the definition of the word to suit your wants. To me, it boils down to integrity. You either have the integrity to stick to a boycott (as defined in every place I checked it) or the integrity to change your own status to sympathetic. Maybe consider changing the topic title to "Boycott except for good sales".

That's why I said to add yourself to the sympathetic list rather than the boycott list. It is consistent with others throughout this topic. If you won't show consistancy and integrity in your actions, my belief is that your grievances are probably not as stated.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't subscribe to that sort of black-or-white viewpoint. I'm not going to be trapped by semantics or allow my life to be ruled by a dictionary.
low rated
rjbuffchix: I am one of the people who consider myself boycotting with drastically reduced spending. What your post misses is how language works on a fundamental level. The fact that people in this topic have adopted the term "boycott" despite limited engagement and are basically agreeable to it, means this is now part of the definition, at least here amongst those who know and agree. For all you know, when the new edition of a dictionary releases, it may include our definition too alongside the others :) After all, people's speech doesn't simply wait for the next edition of a dictionary to come out or wikipedia to be updated...it is an organic ever-evolving phenomenon. No matter how much that literally...or is it figuratively... upsets others.
kblazer883: I know that facts are no-no in today's society, but NO. You can call what you are doing whatever you want to yourself. You can call yourself a pigeon if you want to, but when you start telling others that you are doing something that you are not it is called lying ( if no one knows what that means anymore ask your parents or look it up ). While the situation that started this thread may be ever-evolving (according to the thread posts it hasn't evolved at all on GOG's end) when you change what you are doing you don't get to change the language to suit your desires.
Words, terms, phrases being created or modified prior to inclusion/revision in a dictionary is a fact of how language works. There is a reason we are communicating in modern English rather than in Middle English or Old English. By the logic of your theories, we could not have even gotten to Middle English and would have to stay on Old English, or else we'd have been incorrect to be changing anything.

I can provide more examples:

-people used "chatrooms" and referred to them as such prior to them being included in the dictionary. Were they incorrect, then retroactively correct a year later once the word "chatroom" was included in the dictionary?

-several brands became so popular or well-known that they themselves have become "official." For instance, "band-aid" is in the dictionary after being a brand of adhesive bandage. "To Google something" is another.
low rated
rjbuffchix: If someone like me is primarily boycotting because of what I view as increasing DRM, then people okay with increasing DRM or some DRM or DRM-lite etc are not really helping my particular cause.
GamezRanker: But how do you know they're not helping(or even harming) the cause, other than your gut feeling?

Also(if I may say so), you seem to focus more on how others are "harming" the cause, and less on ways you could help the cause better. For instance, complaining here on Gog forums isn't as effective as complaining on other sites would be(as shown in the case of the Hitman GOTY removal, which happened in large part due to people complaining on other sites).

I mean yes, one doesn't have to do things they don't want to, but to hear you talk so passionately about the cause of DRM free and then stick to mainly posting on the Gog forums....do you see what i'm getting at, here?
You make good points. I'm not sure if the last sentence is meant as rhetorical but will try to address all of what you bring up.

First, there isn't absolute certainty with such situations since we can't know the future or what specifically caused it. I would say my opinion is based on a mix of intuition, historical background, and logic. The intuition part is like you said, gut feeling. The historical background part is that in similar cases previously, the acceptance of DRM has reduced the space for DRM-free. We can also look at other non-gaming examples where rental has replaced ownership and done long-term harm to the concept of ownership. The logic part is that we are talking about concepts which are clearly diametrically opposed, DRM and DRM-free. If I am currently unsatisfied at the amount of what I perceive as DRM, then what would satisfy me is to have a reduction in DRM. If someone else doesn't really care about DRM or not, then this helps maintain the status quo so I remain unsatisfied.

You are correct that other avenues may be more effective in raising awareness of DRM-free. I don't necessarily disagree and can admit I personally prefer the forum format and feel comfortable here compared to other such avenues. However, beyond my subjective preferences, I would also like to point out that it does makes some sense to stick together with others who share similar views versus what seems to me to be shouting into the void. Even the GOG reddit is (imo) nauseatingly in favor of Galaxy. This forum is a really rare resource of people who care about DRM-free. I think there is value in connecting with other users here, such as in this Boycotting topic itself.

As there is no absolute certainty, making some noise on the forum here could even turn out to be the right approach. Somewhat different example, but look at the failed Hitman Online Edition release here. It felt to me that staff suggested that the flood of negative reviews (here, on this site, granted not necessarily from the forum outrage) is what turned the tide, and which subsequently got covered in other bigger gaming media sties and channels. Who knows, maybe the boycott continues to gain traction to the point it gets Youtube coverage, where if I were to just post Youtube comments about DRM-free they would quickly be ignored/overtaken by other unrelated comments.
low rated
Yeah, boycott gog. (Eye roll) It goes under ....bye bye. Now all you have are shit ways to buy like steam, epic games, etc etc. No thank you.
low rated
Keighn: Yeah, boycott gog. (Eye roll) It goes under ....bye bye. Now all you have are shit ways to buy like steam, epic games, etc etc. No thank you.
GOG already has a partnership with Epic Fail Store. Via "the new store app in Galaxy 2.0" GOG is apparently willing to sell DRMed Epic Fail games. With GOG providing support and refund for such purchases, this plainly means to me that GOG (as a company) are okay with selling DRMed games and being another "steam, epic games, etc etc."

How do you think GOG got to the point that such a partnership of selling DRM was possible? Seems obvious to me that it is because they did not receive enough criticism in eroding the principle of DRM-free. The boycott is an attempt to get them to reverse this ill-fated direction before it just becomes another DRMed storefront.

But
Yeah, support gog's direction over the last few years. (Eye roll)
low rated
kblazer883: How you choose to air your grievances with GOG is your business. My only concern is that you are now saying that you can boycott GOG and still buy stuff from them. You can air your grievances however you choose, but you cannot call what you are doing a boycott if that is not what you are doing. You cannot change the definition of the word to suit your wants. To me, it boils down to integrity. You either have the integrity to stick to a boycott (as defined in every place I checked it) or the integrity to change your own status to sympathetic. Maybe consider changing the topic title to "Boycott except for good sales".

Time4Tea: We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't subscribe to that sort of black-or-white viewpoint. I'm not going to be trapped by semantics or allow my life to be ruled by a dictionary.
Whatever. Take me off your list
low rated
Keighn: Yeah, boycott gog. (Eye roll) It goes under ....bye bye. Now all you have are shit ways to buy like steam, epic games, etc etc. No thank you.
Why would people bother buying them anymore?
low rated
Time4Tea: We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't subscribe to that sort of black-or-white viewpoint. I'm not going to be trapped by semantics or allow my life to be ruled by a dictionary.
kblazer883: Whatever. Take me off your list
Done.