It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

KingKannibal: I firmly believe that solely participating in this thread is taking action in the form of protesting. As long as people keep voicing their thoughts on the matter or the opinions of fellow protesters, we're letting GOG know they've taken steps that have caused much concern. I think outright boycotting GOG might only lead them towards making the decisions we're speculating they're heading towards.
paladin181: You overestimate GOG's care for anything on the forums. Only when it is accompanied by monetary loss do they care. Otherwise they happily ignore us.
^This. I strongly suspect the only thing GOG is going to respond to is a short, sharp kick to their revenue stream. Which is what this boycott is intending to deliver.
vsavior: So yeah. Aside from obviously online singleplayer games like Hitman or Absolver (that should be de-listed form what I heard) I don't really have any problem with GOG and I don't really plan to cut my spendings. I'm a simple man - I see game I like - I buy it (after reserching if I'll like it and checking out price history).
Besides where would I go? Back to Steam where I"ll have to crack my games after they pull the plug on 7 same as they did with XP? For me the only store I can go to aside from GOG is (dying) phisical market on consoles or Itch and neither scratches the spot GOG scratches.
Well, before I found enough big releases I was interested in on GOG (Fallout: New Vegas is what swayed me), I simply wasn't PC gaming. The fact that the PC market was basically reliant on the Scheme client and DRMed to hell and back was such a turnoff that I left PC gaming for nearly a decade and a half. Granted, there was somewhat of a physical presence, barely in recent years, on concoles. And I would not say I am a "casual", I love deep experiences in gaming. But generally speaking, if the choice is "take gaming with DRM, or leave it", I happily choose "leave it" and recommend others do the same. Imo it is literally not worth it to support what are effectively rental services.
Nine months and still kicking! Haven't bought a single game on GOG anymore and I'm glad I didn't.
I'm playing a lot of stuff I could have bought here and having a lot of fun, GOG. XD
In the meantime, your beloved China is fancying diplomatic relationship with talibans, despite their blatant lies about their now more moderate stances and their numerous human rights violations (I guess it's something they have in common, therefore they can relate), asked Vatican to stop supporting Taiwan and is thinking about forcing it back into the Chinese Republic using military intervention (which americans already said they'll react to), publicly shamed and arrested one of their best pianist and worldwide celebrated artist because he committed the capital sin to go with a prostitute and enforced bans to kids that play a videogame for too long.
Hope you are proud to support such a beacon of freedom.
Post edited October 26, 2021 by Shendue
kblazer883: Anyone have a guess as to the odds of any of the request list that @Time4Tea put up will be substantially addressed? It is 10 months on and I haven't noticed any change of direction from GOG, unless you count the wrong direction via the Hitman fiasco.
boycotts can take time to have an effect
kblazer883: Anyone have a guess as to the odds of any of the request list that @Time4Tea put up will be substantially addressed? It is 10 months on and I haven't noticed any change of direction from GOG, unless you count the wrong direction via the Hitman fiasco.
tfishell: boycotts can take time to have an effect
Agreed. While I do enjoy gaming, there are plenty of other things that I can spend my money on until GOG decides to get back to DRM free and mean it.
low rated
Shendue: Nine months and still kicking! Haven't bought a single game on GOG anymore and I'm glad I didn't.
I'm playing a lot of stuff I could have bought here and having a lot of fun, GOG. XD
In the meantime, your beloved China is fancying diplomatic relationship with talibans, despite their blatant lies about their now more moderate stances and their numerous human rights violations (I guess it's something they have in common, therefore they can relate), asked Vatican to stop supporting Taiwan and is thinking about forcing it back into the Chinese Republic using military intervention (which americans already said they'll react to), publicly shamed and arrested one of their best pianist and worldwide celebrated artist because he committed the capital sin to go with a prostitute and enforced bans to kids that play a videogame for too long.
Interacting with the Chinese in various ways is not equivalent to endorsing the bad things the current Chinese government has done anymore than interacting with people from any country is equivalent to endorsing the bad things their government has done.

If we're gonna go that route, I'll go live in a cave and stop interacting with my fellow Canadians, because our government has done bad things to the natives.

I really wish we'd stop that trend where we are bunching everything together.
low rated
Shendue: Nine months and still kicking! Haven't bought a single game on GOG anymore and I'm glad I didn't.
Magnitus: Interacting with the Chinese in various ways is not equivalent to endorsing the bad things the current Chinese government has done anymore than interacting with people from any country is equivalent to endorsing the bad things their government has done.

If we're gonna go that route, I'll go live in a cave and stop interacting with my fellow Canadians, because our government has done bad things to the natives.

I really wish we'd stop that trend where we are bunching everything together.
If we assume what you are saying is true, that by transacting business with a country/company/whatever is not indicative of supporting the policies or practices of the government, then based on your statement I can conclude that:

Buying something from a company that gets it products made by a third party that uses child or slave labor would not be supporting child or slave labor, just the company who paid to have the products made?

As to your comment about "native" people, would you point to me on a globe which country was not formed through force of arms in all of human history...take your time....I'll wait. I can correlate this to DRM (as not to get off topic) by saying that DRM in the times you are referring to and now are Domain Rights Management vs Digital Rights Management. Therefore, most of us on this thread are not financially supporting GOG because we don't approve of the change in underlying practices that are currently being used DRM (not) free.
kblazer883: Buying something from a company that gets it products made by a third party that uses child or slave labor would not be supporting child or slave labor, just the company who paid to have the products made?
There is more direct responsibility here. A company decides where to buy their products from.

The vast majority citizens in a nation, and I include all democracies that I know the specifics of here (we get to vote on a limited selection of candidates every couple of years based on at best incomplete knowledge of what we know has already been done), don't really have a say in the specifics of what their government is doing.

kblazer883: As to your comment about "native" people, would you point to me on a globe which country was not formed through force of arms in all of human history...take your time....I'll wait.
There is a fine line between doing what is necessary to unify warring groups into a stablelish union and unnecessary violence or oppression. In our cases with the natives, the vast majority of people who are well informed of the specifics would agree that the line has been well crossed. We're talking about things that have been done within the last century.

Anyways, this is side-tracking the point.

People are eager to talk about 'China' in broad strokes, but I'd rather they focus more on the current Chinese government.

Because GOG is not selling games to the Chinese government, they selling games to Chinese citizens who should be given access to purchase them. Really, given that the vast majority of those games are not from China, you should be glad that they are taking such an active interest in parts of various cultures beyond their borders.
Post edited October 27, 2021 by Magnitus
Well, GOG's current Halloween sale is certainly throwing up temptation...

Went through and added 6 items worth $26.49 to my basket plus one freebie. And then deleted the lot - except for the freebie (Egypt: Old Kingdom Demo for anyone interested).

So another hit (however modest) to GOG's bottom line.
Yeah, being a horror fan there are likely a few games I would've bought in this sale that I'm not going to!
Remove me from that list. I will still not buy game here for a while but only because I got like 25-30 games on my backlog... too many to buy new games. Since I will forgot in a few months, remove me now, I will ask you to add me again if anything changes again on the gog side. Right now the hitman fisco was solved.
I'm still boycotting. A bit harder than my previous soft-boycott.
I haven't posted on the forums for 4+ months, voluntarily, due to an involuntary absence period.
Which revealed that there's now another detrimental effect in place, adding to the tragic downfall of GOG.
Identity politicking "rules for thee, but not for me".
Time4Tea: (I have also updated the first post to indicate that Hitman (2016) has been resolved)
I wouldn't consider this issue resolved until we get a proper explanation and plans how to prevent that from happening again
low rated
To those making political statements go to reddit, your not doing any favors trying to get this thread locked when we have legitimate customer based issues with GOG in it's current leadership and stances.

While it is true that as a global market entity GOG cannot escape the fact it by it's interaction with global capital is a political contributer even if it is not politically motivated per say; none the less it's abandonment of it's core principles by the re-imagining of the meaning of it's own words (a common political tactic funnily enough) is the real issue here.
GOG shouldn't be supported if it's not going to be the gaming white knight it sold itself as an image of.

ps. I also second the consideration of hitman not being a closed case. It shouldn't of happened in the first place; which makes it a GOG issue, not a Hitman issue; and until there are appropriate measures stated by GOG to have taken place to ensure it doesn't happen again we will continue to be gently desensitized as a method of operation to turn GOG into steam (which will fail). That is why our continued outrage is valid.
Post edited November 05, 2021 by MaceyNeil
low rated
MaceyNeil: It shouldn't of happened in the first place
Shouldn't HAVE happened.

Also, I entirely disagree and consider the Hitman incident closed.
Post edited November 06, 2021 by Breja