It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

CymTyr: Is this the turning point?
No, because GOG had already turned long ago, like, for examples, by allowing DRM into games like Absolver, No Man's Sky, Cyberpunk 2077, etc., not to mention the deal they signed with EGS to sell DRM-infested EGS games through GOG.

Hitman appearing with DRM is nothing new; it's just more of the same trajectory that GOG's already been on for a very long time.
low rated
I said it before on this thread. You guys having a temper tantrum on the Forums WONT CHANGE anything!

You have to go outside your little hugbox/circlejerk for you to get noticed and start making changes.
Right now all you are doing is stroking your own egos.
mqstout:
Added, thanks!

tfishell: The Hitman thing pushed me into "sympathetic" category if you want to add my name.
Sure, I have added your name to the sympathetic list. Although, I am curious, where is your line in the sand? What would GOG need to do to convince you to boycott, if releasing a game that includes blatant always-online single-player DRM isn't enough?

tfishell: I find some of the demands people want "unreasonable", and can sometimes come across as annoying, but single-player DRM-free is basically the hill GOG should die on imo. (The only way I could "defend" this - not that I am - is "DRM-free is effectively 'dead' as a sustainable market and GOG is trying to stay in business; people will lose their jobs", but as anyone would say, why not just use Steam instead which is far better for a required client and co.? GOG might have to cut staff either way.)
Different people are boycotting for different reasons and not everyone agrees with every single point. I personally find many of GOG's cynical actions over the past year (as well as their general direction) to have been highly unreasonable for a store that touts itself as 'DRM-free'. I agree with you though, that DRM-free is the hill that GOG should (and possibly will) die on. It's the whole reason for GOG's existence, after all.

I don't think DRM-free is unsustainable as a business model. I think it can be viable and can make a decent profit. However, it seems clear that GOG's shareholders and business suits are not satisfied with just the 'decent' level of profit a 100% DRM-free game store can generate and want more. Imo, this is about greed, not about viability.

tag+: Time4Tea et al brave GOG customers on this endeavor:
Please sign me up and please stay strong.
Important note: I keep to myself my boycott goals & strategy. If you need to know the specifics, please PM
Thanks for your support! Incidentally, you have the honor of being the 100th user to sign up :-)

(first post updated to post #2898)
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Time4Tea
Great post here btw
low rated
Time4Tea: Sure, I have added your name to the sympathetic list. Although, I am curious, where is your line in the sand? What would GOG need to do to convince you to boycott, if releasing a game that includes blatant always-online single-player DRM isn't enough?
Something like this: if they go something like "full force" always online for majority of single-player content/games, I'd stop shopping here, or if DRM-free installers were entirely removed.

If DRM continued as a "trickle" (which it might), it'd depend if the online requirement was for a single-player content / game that actually interested me, which there aren't many of right now.

I bought Tomb Raider Legend, Anniv, and Underworld recently, and I'd do it again, and I'll probably buy Serious Sam 2 and 3 if they show up eventually (assuming a nice discount). Doom 3 + RoE original too, the Humongous games (which I already own on Steam so why would I get them if installers weren't available), and a few others.

----------

Part of me wonders if GOG is effectively throwing in the towel on DRM-free requirement, in part, because of sites dedicated to illegally downloading GOG games (not torrents, you don't have to worry about seeders; though I'm not a tech-knowledgable person). I don't know particularly how popular they are (though probably more popular than I'd like :p) but I see links to them posted on 4chan /v/ sometimes. As GOG has grown and their name has gotten out there, I wouldn't be surprised at this point if GOG versions are pirated more than Steam versions.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by tfishell
While I may not go for a straight-up boycott, I'm actually considering suspending any and all purchases once my wallet money runs out until there's a clear indication where all this is headed.

It's not like I'll be hurting for games to play. My GOG backlog alone can keep me busy for years to come. Add to that all the Epic freebies I've been hoovering up (and barely played any) and the occasional free-to-play multiplayer games I can entertain myself with, I can keep on gaming with little to no further investment for a long time. My Switch also has a ridiculous backlog as well already. Yeah, I might be all set. ;)
tfishell: Something like this: if they go something like "full force" always online for majority of single-player content/games, I'd stop shopping here, or if DRM-free installers were entirely removed.
The problem is that if we wait until we get to that point, it would be far too late to do anything about it. It is very clear what trajectory GOG is on and that this pattern of 'DRM apathy' is only going to get worse. The time to take action is now.

Mr.Mumbles: While I may not go for a straight-up boycott, I'm actually considering suspending any and all purchases once my wallet money runs out until there's a clear indication where all this is headed.
Imo, it's been abundantly clear where GOG is headed since the start of the year. They are going full-steam-ahead on a path of self-destruction.
low rated
I'd like to make a statement of amendment. If there was actually anything on GOG that interested me enough to buy it, I wouldn't be buying it, but it's been a dry spell and my backlog is over 400 games strong, and the games I'd really want I can probably find on Itch or buy direct anway.

So it's not like I'm in a hurry to expand my library.
low rated
tfishell: Something like this: if they go something like "full force" always online for majority of single-player content/games, I'd stop shopping here, or if DRM-free installers were entirely removed.
Time4Tea: The problem is that if we wait until we get to that point, it would be far too late to do anything about it. It is very clear what trajectory GOG is on and that this pattern of 'DRM apathy' is only going to get worse. The time to take action is now.
It's extremely unlikely you'll convince me to 100% boycott right now, just fyi. I'm not sure it's worth arguing over.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by tfishell
I am not going to buy another game here, unless one of the following happens:
1. The online always DRM restricting SINGLEPLAYER content is removed from the HITMAN game.
2. The HITMAN game is removed from the store completely.
I'd like to be added as "sympathetic", thank you.
low rated
Snowslinger: I am not going to buy another game here, unless one of the following happens:
1. The online always DRM restricting SINGLEPLAYER content is removed from the HITMAN game.
2. The HITMAN game is removed from the store completely.
The 2nd part I doubt is ever going to happen
Coming back once in a while and seeing that GOG just went further on their derailed way, makes me think, that I was right from the start to not buy another game, no matter how much I'd like to (Wolfenstein 2 for example).

Go GOG go, you are stil not far enough down the drm hole, since there are still too many people that buy your stuff.
is it just me or is gog pushed pretty hard to the wall (financially)? i mean otherwise they just wouldn't release hitman goty in that state
high rated
I think I'll join in on the GOG boycott. One company which they let abuse their users is Paradox. For the last three major releases of Stellaris, there's been a seemingly intentional release of buggy or incomplete builds for the offline installers.

For this latest release, 3.1 'Lem', I've brought the problem to the attention of GOG over a week ago and they haven't even deigned to reply to my support email with anything other than a bot which says that they are behind on support emails.

I"ve bought over 150 games from GOG over 8 years and this is the first post I've felt I've had to make. I'm hopping mad about the contempt they and some of their publishers are now showing all of us customers.