It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Breja: I wonder if it's not mostly just a kind of laziness. I mean, good games are still plentiful, but they're usually not the ones getting the big marketing push, adorning the front page of most online stores etc. Finding them, finding something out about them, requires going out of your way just a tiny bit. If you don't you may get the illusion that Fallout 76, Division 2, Fortnite and stuff like that are the best, if not the only, thing the market has to offer.
Time4Tea: Yes, marketing has a big effect and I'm sure laziness also plays a role. Also, the new generation have grown up with near-photorealistic graphics being 'standard'. So, they expect that with every game and the AAA studios are mostly the ones that can deliver that and push it with the marketing. Thing is, if you buy games just because they are 'pretty', you should probably expect something fairly shallow.

So, that expectation of high-end graphics disincentivises them from exploring lesser-known modern studios, as well as preventing them from being to appreciate the great games of the past.
which is off course why games like One Finger Death Punch, Factorio, Oxygen not included, Shapez.io, Opus Magnum etc, gets near 100% positive rating and sells in the 100k+ brackets - the photo realistic graphics!
Time4Tea: [...]
I'm not sure I'd agree developers are doing 'a lot more' QA today than in the past. I'm not sure what you are basing that on and I haven't seen much evidence of it personally. Unless you are considering 'early-access' customers to be part of the QA department ;-)
to be able to say this - do you know how much an AAA studio does on QA, or are you guessing? I would now like to see some evidence, please.
Time4Tea: [...]
Sure, I agree that QA-ing games has always been easier on consoles than PC, given the hardware is more uniform and predictable. Although, that makes the situation with Cyberpunk even more ironic, given most of its performance issues were on console.
[...]
no, not really as I undersatnd they where just to ambitious and then it is the problem of crossplatform. They made the game for high spec PC, then tried to port it over to consoles. Off course they got into problem. I deem this more a managerial problem than anything else, trying to fit a square peg in a round hole
Post edited January 31, 2021 by amok
high rated
Time4Tea:
Sign me up for the ride as well, m8.
It has been long enough that I can clearly see GOG.com turning slowly into a Steam clone.
Might purchase a couple (literally) more titles for my vintage collection though
[and add their files straight to my personal backup data cache, as I have already done with the rest of my owned games. Just in case some new hire on GOG.com gets any funny ideas on how to radically "reform" (a.k.a. "Steamify") file distribution].

Cheers.
Post edited January 31, 2021 by FateIsOneEdge
low rated
I do not believe boycotting GOG is the right thing to do. I believe that not purchasing a game and letting GOG know why is more in keeping with the spirit of the site. But to deny GOG the funds necessary for it to stay in business is carrying things too far.
Steam and CDP are hit with class action suit about game pricing https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/popular-gaming-platform-accused-of-abusing-market-power-through-contracts

CDP is not mentioned in the article, but is listed as defendant in the legal papers.
Orkhepaj: no , all i know is their taste is bad
The_Puppet94: All I know is, taste is subjective. Let the youth play what they want let the older generation play what they want. Let for god sake let everyone play what they want. Taste can change. And their is no such thing as good and bad in subjective things. There is only I like it or I don't. This however doesn't mean someone else can not like the very thing i personally despise.
it is not subjective at all
some people just think whatever is pushed is good
amok: snip
I used QA because that was the nearest word I could think of regarding the old days.

And while yes, things were small and development used to work in a different way, there was still some testing done compared to what is done nowadays.

(Time4Tea already said all that I wanted to say regarding SNES etcetera, so I have no reason to further repeat the same stuff XD).
Post edited January 31, 2021 by Kyousuke.
high rated
Greybriar: I do not believe boycotting GOG is the right thing to do. I believe that not purchasing a game and letting GOG know why is more in keeping with the spirit of the site. But to deny GOG the funds necessary for it to stay in business is carrying things too far.
This is why it works.

The situation:
GoG: people aren't buying here anymore and have flooded our Twitter, Facebook, social media accounts and forums with everything we are doing wrong.

Releasing broken games
Lying about our products and deceiving our customers and investors
Not responding to customer service tickets
Banning users they defrauded for pointing out they were defrauded and are unhappy
Banning games and blaming "Many gamers"
Eliminating the GOG Downloader
Not supporting the offline installers
Adding DRM Games (to a store that is supposed to be DRM free)
Locking content behind the "Optional" Galaxy client
Removing the offline installers, bringing them back - but hiding them, attaching galaxy to all downloads (then removed),
Bending the knee to scumbags on twitter and banning games like Hatred
Bending the knee and firing Linko
Throwing your own employees under the bus and doxxing them (Linko)
No transparency in Curation
Rejecting any and all games that are not AAA release, 2D Metroidvanias or RPGs
Claiming you care about "Good Old Games" and then reject them. (Mushihimesama by Cave games, 90% rating Steam originally released 2004 in arcades (Old, no program bug problems, highly respected developer, no need for continuing updates, exceptionally high rated - Rejected).

The only 2 outcomes:

1. GOG recognizes the errors, ignores the errors and just keeps doing the same things and hope for a different result and GOG goes under.

2. GOG recognizes the errors, acknowledges the errors, makes the necessary changes and corrects the errors and improves. Happy customers buy happily and GOG grows and succeeds.
low rated
Kyousuke.: [...]
And while yes, things were small and development used to work in a different way, there was still some testing done compared to what is done nowadays.
[...]
again: staatement --> evidence?

any evidence that there is less testing today?

and no - bug / something not working correctly in games are not evidence. This is accounted already for by increased complexity and platform imparity. You need to have some evidence that developers do less testing.
low rated
MajicMan: The situation:
GoG: people aren't buying here anymore and have flooded our Twitter, Facebook, social media accounts and forums with everything we are doing wrong.
Please stopp pretending to be a part of a majority.
Thanks.
I guess the boycott doesn't include the forums otherwise this thread would be 1/10th the size..
Post edited January 31, 2021 by qwixter
low rated
qwixter: I guess the boycott doesn't include the forums otherwise this thread would be 1/10th the size..
Small minorities tend to be very vocal to look bigger.

So far in this thread we can find not even 70 named forum members who want to boycott and 20 more "supporting moraly" (but still buying). This is at best one for 10 posts in here.
That number a few times will be the real world.

In fact, nothing to speak about.
Post edited January 31, 2021 by randomuser.833
low rated
MajicMan: [...]
The only 2 outcomes:

1. GOG recognizes the errors, ignores the errors and just keeps doing the same things and hope for a different result and GOG goes under.

2. GOG recognizes the errors, acknowledges the errors, makes the necessary changes and corrects the errors and improves. Happy customers buy happily and GOG grows and succeeds.
3. gOg regonizes that the number of people boycotting / stop buying games is so small that it is not noticeable on the bottom line, and continues as normal.
The_Puppet94: All I know is, taste is subjective. Let the youth play what they want let the older generation play what they want. Let for god sake let everyone play what they want. Taste can change. And their is no such thing as good and bad in subjective things. There is only I like it or I don't. This however doesn't mean someone else can not like the very thing i personally despise.
Orkhepaj: it is not subjective at all
There is a difference in "thinking whatever is pushed is good" and buying the product and actual enjoying it.
I can think a product e.g. Fortnite is good, because so many people play it - right? It must be good. And now I check and download the game and I see - well I do not enjoy this at all and hit the uninstall button. That does not mean other people can not enjoy that product, its just not for me. I like games especially indie games, with good stories, interesting gameplay and artfull visuals. That does not mean everyone else needs to like that. Others can enjoy their first person shooters or battle royal games or whatever thats fine for me as long as I can enjoy my story driven RPG's or indie game gems.

My taste isn't more "valid" or "better" than their taste it's just different.
Post edited January 31, 2021 by The_Puppet94
low rated
Orkhepaj: it is not subjective at all
The_Puppet94: There is a difference in "thinking whatever is pushed is good" and buying the product and actual enjoying it.
I can think a product e.g. Fortnite is good, because so many people play it - right? It must be good. And now I check and download the game and I see - well I do not enjoy this at all and hit the uninstall button. That does not mean other people can not enjoy that product, its just not for me. I like games especially indie games, with good stories, interesting gameplay and artfull visuals. That does not mean everyone else needs to like that. Others can enjoy their first person shooters or battle royal games or whatever thats fine for me as long as I can enjoy my story driven RPG's or indie game gems.

you are clearly wrong
those who play that crap dont even like it , they just play it because it is the pushed one
The_Puppet94: There is a difference in "thinking whatever is pushed is good" and buying the product and actual enjoying it.

Orkhepaj: you are clearly wrong
those who play that crap dont even like it , they just play it because it is the pushed one
Who am I to say if someone who spends their time with something like it or not. My assumption is if someone spends time on a game and don't quits it prematurley the person likes it. Why else bother wasting your time with something you do not like. Unless you get paid for it somehow.

So I do not think neither you nor I can say if someone else enjoys something, but wouldnt it really stupid if you play a game in your freetime and don't enjoy it? That does not make any sense at all.

MajicMan: This is why it works.

The situation:
This is a small fraction of people, most people do not care at all. And some people do care, but do not think a boykott is the solution to the problem.

MajicMan: Releasing broken games [...]
This is all bad stuff we can agree on that. But seeing as it is the complaining people are not the masses. We are not. I think buying games from gog who are DRM free and ignoring their DRMish products can tell gog much better what we want than ignoring all products. And I dont see why I should not buy the product when all I want to do is have fun with a fun game and not fight a online game store war.

MajicMan: The only 2 outcomes:

GOG goes under isn't likley going to happen at any time soon. And I do not think the overall trend of gog is to flood the store with DRM products, hence the core value and why 90% of us customers are here a DRM free products. If GOG would just become a second steam with less products noone would stay here and we all could jump to steam anyways - and that is no news to gog for sure.
Post edited January 31, 2021 by The_Puppet94