It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hollyhock: @Time4Tea:
please move my name from the "boycott" list to the "sympathetic" list. Thanks in advance.
Done. Sorry for the slow response. I've just updated the first post list.

Magnitus: My take on the situation has been the following: GOG is GOG because Steam is already taken.

If the owners of GOG had the option to become Steam, with the market share and profits this entails, they'd drop their drm-free policy like a hot potato.
This is so true, it hurts.
Post edited August 24, 2022 by Time4Tea
WinterSnowfall: I can certainly see why someone would chose to do so. I'm not going to boycott them, however, as long as they still offer DRM-free offline installers with no mandatory clients. That being said, I've long since stopped my "I'm not sure if I'll have time to play this game, but let me buy it here to support GOG" behavior, mostly because of the concerns you've also highlighted.
Time4Tea: At the start of 2020, I was taking the position that I would ignore sales and buy games at full price to support GOG. To say they have 'lost my goodwill' would be quite an understatement.
WinterSnowfall: I doubt anything is going to come out of this, of course, in terms of GOG doing anything to address your concerns, but just as a guideline on how to approach things in general, you probably need to define a metric here and be more specific. As far as we know, what is currently in place is already considered "adequate" by GOG.
Time4Tea: That one is a bit hand-wavy, I agree. I guess I would like to at least see some progress with the backlog of offline installers being brought into line with the Galaxy versions.
wolfsite: Just be careful with Zoom platform, it is like GOG a company and companies will in the end do what's best for business so they would also eventually do what is best to make the business grow.
Time4Tea: I think the problems generally start when companies go public, as opposed to 'companies' more generally. Anyone I buy games from over the internet is unavoidably going to be a 'company'. I am inclined to give ZP the benefit of the doubt, given they haven't done anything to betray my trust.

Moved from post #1, as it had apparently reached the max. character limit:

People who are sympathetic to the concept:

1) DukeNukemForever
2) McMicroDonalds
3) WinterSnowfall
4) flanner
5) Dogmaus
6) Paliper
7) W3irdN3rd
8) FiatLux
9) MasterW
10) InSaintMonoxide
11) TheDcoder
12) shih1976
13) Djungelurban
14) Wishmaster777
15) Darvond
16) The_Puppet94
17) Zrevnur
18) DebbieL
19) jorlin
20) arrua
21) dick1982
22) viperfdl
23) tfishell
24) AgentBJ09
25) mm324
26) JackknifeJohnson
27) Lhun Duum
28) LukeHimself
29) paladin181
30) cyberfancom
31) BanditKeith2
32) GE0DZ
33) ReynardFox
34) N1c3_0n3
35) Lukin86
36) Illyrac
37) beiju_
38) Hollyhock
You can go ahead and add me to the sympathetic list.
Hollyhock: @Time4Tea:
please move my name from the "boycott" list to the "sympathetic" list. Thanks in advance.
Time4Tea: Done. Sorry for the slow response. I've just updated the first post list.

Magnitus: My take on the situation has been the following: GOG is GOG because Steam is already taken.

If the owners of GOG had the option to become Steam, with the market share and profits this entails, they'd drop their drm-free policy like a hot potato.
Time4Tea: This is so true, it hurts.
It doesn't help that a lot of the old guard of CDPR have been pushed out and replaced by soy shitheads, most of whom aren't even Polish. I'd imagine that's played a significant role in GOG's problems. Leaning on them to get people back in like the old guard and to kick out the pretenders would probably go a long way to fixing the state of things at GOG and CDPR.
Post edited August 24, 2022 by Procket12
Time4Tea: At the start of 2020, I was taking the position that I would ignore sales and buy games at full price to support GOG. To say they have 'lost my goodwill' would be quite an understatement.

That one is a bit hand-wavy, I agree. I guess I would like to at least see some progress with the backlog of offline installers being brought into line with the Galaxy versions.

I think the problems generally start when companies go public, as opposed to 'companies' more generally. Anyone I buy games from over the internet is unavoidably going to be a 'company'. I am inclined to give ZP the benefit of the doubt, given they haven't done anything to betray my trust.

Moved from post #1, as it had apparently reached the max. character limit:

People who are sympathetic to the concept:

1) DukeNukemForever
2) McMicroDonalds
3) WinterSnowfall
4) flanner
5) Dogmaus
6) Paliper
7) W3irdN3rd
8) FiatLux
9) MasterW
10) InSaintMonoxide
11) TheDcoder
12) shih1976
13) Djungelurban
14) Wishmaster777
15) Darvond
16) The_Puppet94
17) Zrevnur
18) DebbieL
19) jorlin
20) arrua
21) dick1982
22) viperfdl
23) tfishell
24) AgentBJ09
25) mm324
26) JackknifeJohnson
27) Lhun Duum
28) LukeHimself
29) paladin181
30) cyberfancom
31) BanditKeith2
32) GE0DZ
33) ReynardFox
34) N1c3_0n3
35) Lukin86
36) Illyrac
37) beiju_
38) Hollyhock
Procket12: You can go ahead and add me to the sympathetic list.
Time4Tea: Done. Sorry for the slow response. I've just updated the first post list.

This is so true, it hurts.
Procket12: It doesn't help that a lot of the old guard of CDPR have been pushed out and replaced by soy shitheads, most of whom aren't even Polish. I'd imagine that's played a significant role in GOG's problems. Leaning on them to get people back in like the old guard and to kick out the pretenders would probably go a long way to fixing the state of things at GOG and CDPR.
You are free to be angry but please don't insult the staff members of the gog. We can be against what gog is doing but just as much be a minimum of respect.
Lukin86: You are free to be angry but please don't insult the staff members of the gog. We can be against what gog is doing but just as much be a minimum of respect.
Agreed, I think that usually when you are unhappy with a direction the company is taking, you should place the blame on the top brass. Everyone below has little power to impact the direction of the company beyond doing their job to the best of their ability.

Only exception might be shitty software (where the implementation details are flaky, not the feature decisions made by product people). While management can be partly to blame when not enough resources are allocated to software development, software developers, especially in less mature environments like a startup, are in a privileged position to make technical decisions that are not challenged by anyone, because nobody who is not in that domain really understands what is happening.

An incompetent developer in a privileged position can really scr*w over his/her employer for years to come by making god awful technical decisions that might be very difficult to rectify later on. I've seen it enough times to know that some people who are in this industry really don't belong in it (not in a serious professional capacity anyways). Setting up a software system is not a game. It requires serious, sometimes tortuous deliberation about trade-offs. Many people lack the discipline or attention to details for it.

Anyways, enough ranting. Mostly what Lukin said.
Post edited August 27, 2022 by Magnitus
Move me to the sympathetic list.
I still think they make stupid moves that only bring them either hate or discomfort from us, but at the end of the day I spend money hoping to keep dev companies alive. Putting all your eggs in the same basket or completely rejecting stores for betraying their business "ideals" doesn't go anywhere.

If I can I'll default to itch.io or the rare developer store (Red Candle Games' case); if the GOG release is clean and the game is reasonably finished (since GOG has a bad case of staying behind updates...), or if it's an old game that doesn't rely on DOSBox/ScummVM, I'll go to GOG, ZOOM or whatever offers me DRM Free (except Epic Store because their software is just crap and for that I go through the Steam ecosystem); if I think it's really worth it I'll bite the Steam bullet.

There's always the alternative option that doesn't care about which store the game comes from, y'know
Post edited September 01, 2022 by Setilla
Setilla: There's always the alternative option that doesn't care about which store the game comes from, y'know
Are you advocating piracy?
Setilla: There's always the alternative option that doesn't care about which store the game comes from, y'know
BreOl72: Are you advocating piracy?
I'm advocating abandonware, sourceports and retail. Not every post-release has that much effort put into them or even redirects the sales to the right people.
honestly if I am not allowed to buy something nobody loses money
though that mostly applies to other types of media as games are rarely region locked, surely some of them are just pulled back out of stores (and rental shops like steam), but these have chances of popping up back again on gog and I'll buy them then (or at least if gog fixes their issues first)
Guys, let's cut down on the talk about piracy/abandonware, if you don't mind. It's probably against the CoC and isn't really on-topic for the thread.
I just want to bring it to the attention of those who have signed the boycott list that there seems to be a forum lynch mob posting in (a thread I can't link to, about whether it is permitted to discuss other stores) who are attempting to get this thread locked. They have succeeded in getting the 'Zoom Platform' thread locked and are now trying to see if they can go one better and get this one locked too.

They are claiming there is a conflict of interest because I have some links to Zoom Platform. I am a Zoom Discord moderator, but I started doing that ~1 year after this thread was started. I am not a Zoom staff member or being paid by them in any way. This thread is clearly about GOG and not Zoom Platform and has been signed by over 100 GOG users.
Time4Tea: I just want to bring it to the attention of those who have signed the boycott list that there seems to be a forum lynch mob posting in (a thread I can't link to, about whether it is permitted to discuss other stores) who are attempting to get this thread locked. They have succeeded in getting the 'Zoom Platform' thread locked and are now trying to see if they can go one better and get this one locked too.

They are claiming there is a conflict of interest because I have some links to Zoom Platform. I am a Zoom Discord moderator, but I started doing that ~1 year after this thread was started. I am not a Zoom staff member or being paid by them in any way. This thread is clearly about GOG and not Zoom Platform and has been signed by over 100 GOG users.
There is no lynch mob, it's just people calling you out on your lies and misleading posts. If you stop doing that stuff then those people won't need to call you out on it.

Oh and this post here
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/is_talking_about_other_game_stores_now_prohibited/post20

Shows you are lying.

Hell you keep saying you want open and free discussion but when someone has a negative criticism of Zoom you attack them saying they are laying or are just GOG fanboys.

Knock off the double standards.
I do. Do you have a problem with that?
wolfsite: Hell you keep saying you want open and free discussion but when someone has a negative criticism of Zoom you attack them saying they are laying or are just GOG fanboys.
I haven't attacked anybody, simply disagreed. Look through the now-locked Zoom thread - it's almost always the other party who becomes uncivil (since apparently they cant handle that someone else has a different opinion).

Besides, I'm afraid we're not allowed to discuss other game stores here any more, buddy. Be careful, you're skating on thin ice! ;-)
Time4Tea: I just want to bring it to the attention of those who have signed the boycott list that there seems to be a forum lynch mob posting in (a thread I can't link to, about whether it is permitted to discuss other stores) who are attempting to get this thread locked. They have succeeded in getting the 'Zoom Platform' thread locked and are now trying to see if they can go one better and get this one locked too.

wolfsite: There is no lynch mob, it's just people calling you out on your lies and misleading posts. If you stop doing that stuff then those people won't need to call you out on it.

Oh and this post here
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/is_talking_about_other_game_stores_now_prohibited/post20

Shows you are lying.

Hell you keep saying you want open and free discussion but when someone has a negative criticism of Zoom you attack them saying they are laying or are just GOG fanboys.

Attack of the drama llamas...
wolfsite: There is no lynch mob, it's just people calling you out on your lies and misleading posts. If you stop doing that stuff then those people won't need to call you out on it.

Oh and this post here

Shows you are lying.

richlind33: Attack of the drama llamas...
Hey..... I'm not a Llama. :)
Post edited September 04, 2022 by wolfsite