It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

paladin181: I'm just glad there was a good response to this debacle
Ancient-Red-Dragon: No there wasn't.

A good response would consist of all of the following:

1. GOG tells us exactly what happened every step of the way, and fully discloses, publicly, everything they are blameworthy for, i.e. did GOG initially tell IOI that it is fine if they (IOI) leave the DRM in the game? Or not? GOG needs to clarify this matter to their customers.

2. GOG explains exactly why it took them weeks to remove the game, instead of doing it instantly.

3. GOG also explains exactly what they "discussed" with IOI between the time when the DRM-infested game went live on GOG and when it was removed. I.e. was GOG trying to work out a fudge during that time where they might have allowed some DRM to remain, and then after 2 weeks, GOG backpedaled from the fudge attempt after they decided that their customers were too smart to be fooled by a fudge?

4. GOG promising to remove all the DRM that is already in the other games it is still currently selling, or else delist those games too (I.e. Cyberpunk 2077).

5. GOG promising to cancel the deal to sell EGS-DRM'ed games through Galaxy.

6. GOG promising never to sign more EGS-like deals in the future whereby other stores will also be allowed to sell their DRM'ed games through Galaxy.

Of course, in reality, GOG did none of the above. Therefore, their response to the Hitman GOTY debacle was terrible.

At best, their response could be classified as doing the absolute bare minimum that they felt they had to do to appease most of their customers in order to stop losing massive amounts of money.

The fact their terrible response worked so well, and most people are now praising GOG as if they did a wonderful job in their response, even though they actually did anything but, that does not bode well for the future of GOG being DRM-free.
Please get over yourself. You can be unhappy with it all you want. They took the game down. I've already explained to you the most likely reason why it took so long (also the reason you won't get the full 100% transparency that people only give in fantasy land: contracts), but you want to be thick and ignorant, just like when you "think" people down vote your posts because they don't like achievements. Playing stupid doesn't fit you well because it's obvious that you're not stupid. To you everything is black and white, but I just see that you're colorblind.
Post edited October 09, 2021 by paladin181
low rated
Breja: are unrelated to Hitman, so listing them as "good response" to the Hitman incident is just... well, let's say silly.
I don't agree that those points are "unrelated to Hitman," because the Hitman debacle was a clear example of DRM-creep, and those other events of DRM-creep which I've listed are precursors to, and steps along the way, for how GOG started slipping down the slippery slope of embracing DRM.

And given that GOG's response to the Hitman debacle neglected/failed to address any of those other examples of DRM-creep, that suggests that GOG doesn't really care about being DRM-free nearly so much as most of their customers have now apparently been fooled into thinking that they do, via GOG's terrible response to the Hitman debacle which is being nearly-universally praised as being great.
low rated
an interesting result, that gog really removed hitman. any guess what forced them to do it? did the articles in gamer press create enough pressure, that gog staff decided its best to pull for now?
Ancient-Red-Dragon: And given that GOG's response to the Hitman debacle neglected/failed to address any of those other examples of DRM-creep
Yes, response to Hitman didn't address things that are not Hitman. Will the wonders never cease?
apehater: an interesting result, that gog really removed hitman. any guess what forced them to do it? did the articles in gamer press create enough pressure, that gog staff decided its best to pull for now?
My guess is that getting rid of the negative reviews on GOGs page was at least part of the reason - I think both GOG and IOI wanted these gone. Removing the game was the easy PR-compatible move to achieve that. And if they bring it back I would expect them to do so without those reviews. So from my POV "review purge" was a part of it.
apehater: an interesting result, that gog really removed hitman. any guess what forced them to do it? did the articles in gamer press create enough pressure, that gog staff decided its best to pull for now?
Zrevnur: My guess is that getting rid of the negative reviews on GOGs page was at least part of the reason - I think both GOG and IOI wanted these gone. Removing the game was the easy PR-compatible move to achieve that. And if they bring it back I would expect them to do so without those reviews. So from my POV "review purge" was a part of it.
I'm thinking that they honestly didn't know how buggered the game is when they listed it. GOG does tend to fly by the seat of it's pants, and these aren't the best of times. I'm going to keep boycotting until they reveal what they think the problem is and how they intend to address it. If they say it's gone for good I'm satisfied, because I don't see IOI going to the trouble of making this game legit DRM-free.
paladin181: I've already explained to you the most likely reason why it took so long (also the reason you won't get the full 100% transparency that people only give in fantasy land: contracts)
I find it likely there's no clause stopping them from being transparent about that, i.e. something like "we can't talk about X because we signed an NDA". Granted, there is still the extreme (but unlikely) case where that, too, is covered by an NDA.

There is also such a thing as renegotiating a contract, which makes a lot of sense to do when it generates a lot of goodwill and thereby potentially generates a lot of sales and therefore income for both parties of the contract.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the utter radio silence on a lot of these subjects is the #1 reason I'm still in this boycott (that's not to say it's the only reason).

EDIT: Typo fixed.
Post edited October 09, 2021 by Hexchild
I am going to step away from the boycott. With the removal of Hitman came a surprise to me; GOG actually started to listen to the community once again. Proper communication was actually happening, like when it was still good around here, like it always should be. While this could turn around and they could just go back to ignoring customers and issues; I am willing to see what is going to happen with this promise.

Not saying that I will be dropping mad money on GOG anytime soon. In reality I don't see myself spending more than $50 this year and even that might be severely pushing it. They want more money? They need to show that they can be trusted by continuing to push proper communication. That they can go without shooting themselves in the foot every few months. Maybe start fixing this sorry state of a website, as well as a plethora of other long standing issues.

To me the fact that they stopped listening to the community was what hurt the most. Just showing how much that they didn't care about what was built up over the years. Allowing core principles to slide to places where they shouldn't be. Devotion was the last straw for me, with a whole load of past grievances to boot.

The whole deal with Devotion was super shitty of GOG in it's handling of the developer Red Candle Games as well as GOG's own community. Devotion will probably never be released here and that was done by the powers that be, within GOG. There is no going back on that, they are still the same fucking spineless twerps that reneged on a deal that they made. Also showing that GOG is more than willing to bend the knee if they feel threatened by a bigger entity.

Sadly, this also happens to be a case of hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. I wouldn't be shocked to end up rejoining the boycott if things start heading further south. Whether it be GOG accepting games with drm again, them stopping communication with the community while ignoring valid criticisms, or allowing more of their principles (or what is currently left of them) to crumble to dust.

It is so easy to be jaded when advice and concerns are seemingly ignored that could help rectify issues that they themselves caused. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at the moment, and perhaps it is extremely foolish of me to do so. I might even open up communication with GOG management behind the scenes, if they are willing to listen once again. Thing just have been so bad for so long that at least this is a step in the right direction. I just hope that they can and will maintain what they promise.
Funny to see the comments on here. Gog, after weeks of complaints finally get round to removing hitman, and that was only because all their new social media customers pushed it out on those platforms, and now it’s all fine. No wonder EA and the like get away with doing whatever they like. Just forget all the other issues, problems, DRM’d games.
nightcraw1er.488: Funny to see the comments on here. Gog, after weeks of complaints finally get round to removing hitman, and that was only because all their new social media customers pushed it out on those platforms, and now it’s all fine. No wonder EA and the like get away with doing whatever they like. Just forget all the other issues, problems, DRM’d games.
That‘s exactly the reason how drm came to be. If only no one bought games that have drm and we would not have any drmd games, but since 99,9% of gamers are only interested in buying the next hyped game, we have the situation we have. I have given up all hope that this will get better in the future.
low rated
BroscienceEngineer: You have 40 games in 6 years while I have 160 in 1.5 years, so that means I care 16 times more about DRM-free than you do.
HappyPunkPotato: Or you have more money or you bought loads of inexpensive games or there are more games of the type you like on here or Time4Tea bought DRM free games from other shops or Time4Tea has less time to play games so didn't need to buy as many...
Doesn't matter. 6 years and only 40 games? He doesn't give a shit about DRM. And you fools are standing behind this clown.

Here's my bombastic link for you boycotters. If I'm helping to pay for this dumb thread to be active, I have just as much right to taunt you all.

youtu.be/9SnhmTKGbsk
HappyPunkPotato: Or you have more money or you bought loads of inexpensive games or there are more games of the type you like on here or Time4Tea bought DRM free games from other shops or Time4Tea has less time to play games so didn't need to buy as many...
BroscienceEngineer: Doesn't matter. 6 years and only 40 games? He doesn't give a shit about DRM. And you fools are standing behind this clown.
I have about 540 games here (not many compared to some and I can't recall how many were free) and I decided to stop buying anything from GOG before I found the boycott thread. I'm not "standing behind" Time4Tea so much as "joining together with". I'm glad someone took the time to creata and mannage this thread.

As for your previous posts about advertising Zoom Platform; if you care about DRM-free surely you want to see other shops selling DRM-free games get popular?

Also, it's interesting that you say "How is it ad-hominem if I'm criticizing your actions?" when you've called people in this thread "crazies", "fools" and a "clown".

I didn't watch your video but I'm sure it was very good.
john_hatcher: That‘s exactly the reason how drm came to be. If only no one bought games that have drm and we would not have any drmd games, but since 99,9% of gamers are only interested in buying the next hyped game, we have the situation we have. I have given up all hope that this will get better in the future.
Gamers are just people. Most people don't care that much about the long term future as long as they are safe and comfortable right now and in the immediate future. They are very inert.

They'll react and scramble once the consequences of not caring catches up to them.

Right now, with big platforms like Steam that look like they'll last forever and that are, for now, exerting a great deal of forbearance with their authority to pull gamers' collections from under them, the argument against drm seems very esoteric and abstract (at this point, many people are not even aware that the argument exists).

In a way, we have it good in the sense that unlike other crises, this one isn't shared to a large extent.

While we have access to only a fraction of existing games in the drm-free ecosystem, its still way more quality games than we'll have time to play.

Furthermore, when parts of the drm ecosystem come crashing down with their centralised server dependencies, we're not the ones who will lose our entire game collection. That will be some other suckers' problem.

And in the grand scheme of things, those people won't die, get horribly injured, lose their home or go hungry. They'll lose access to their games collection and be setback at most a couple of thousands of dollars worth of entertainment as a result. As far as lessons go, this one has a very manageable cost.
Post edited October 10, 2021 by Magnitus
HappyPunkPotato: I have about 540 games here (not many compared to some and I can't recall how many were free) and I decided to stop buying anything from GOG before I found the boycott thread. I'm not "standing behind" Time4Tea so much as "joining together with". I'm glad someone took the time to creata and mannage this thread.

As for your previous posts about advertising Zoom Platform; if you care about DRM-free surely you want to see other shops selling DRM-free games get popular?

Also, it's interesting that you say "How is it ad-hominem if I'm criticizing your actions?" when you've called people in this thread "crazies", "fools" and a "clown".

He's a drive-by troll not interested in defending his position. You're wasting your time.

HappyPunkPotato: I have about 540 games here (not many compared to some and I can't recall how many were free) and I decided to stop buying anything from GOG before I found the boycott thread. I'm not "standing behind" Time4Tea so much as "joining together with". I'm glad someone took the time to creata and mannage this thread.

paladin181: He's a drive-by troll not interested in defending his position. You're wasting your time.
Post edited October 10, 2021 by paladin181
for some reason I can't paste my post from the Hitman thread, but long story short:

someone made the wrong decision and we need explanation, there are also other games with issues (even if much smaller) but for now I have too many questions