It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Hm, I assume our Enigmatic T is full of pleasant anticipation for his new labour week, the poor guy. :D
AstralWanderer: Ditto - the wider introduction of regional pricing does bother me though, since the next step is regional restrictions, and implementing that properly (i.e. preventing out-of-region installation or play) does then require DRM. There's no justification for regional pricing on cost grounds (bandwidth costs don't vary by customer location) so it's no more than pandering to publisher prejudice.

Which then begs the question: if GOG are prepared to compromise on this, how long until DRM-free gets splatted on the same altar of convenience?
I'm not going to say that regional pricing isn't taken advantage of. Look at how several of them jacked up PC game prices. EA, Bethesda, and a few others, increased the price on PC games by $10 a year or two ago . They left the Xbox price the same and decreased the PS by about $5. Those price disparities are there because they have to pay fees to MS and Sony. Those fees don't exist on the PC platform, yet they're putting that cost on the PC gamers.

All I can say is we'll have to wait and see. If they change their DRM-free philosophy then I'll respond to it. I'll try to get the games DRM-free somewhere else if I can.
JohnnyDollar: Games using Steamworks DRM (e.g. Napoleon Total War, Civilization V) require a Steam account and all that comes with it, however they are purchased making Steam a monopoly in those cases.
Meh, I'm too tired to debate that. :P
Post edited February 23, 2014 by JohnnyDollar
groze: snip
OldFatGuy: Sorry, my bad, 100% my fault. I didn't realize I was persecuting or being unfair to you, but that seems to be the way it works. I can be a real ass even when I'm not realizing it or intending it. (My ex-wife has verified this on more than one occasion.)

I wish you the very best and I won't respond furthers to yours either. Just wanted to say I was at fault here.
I'm answering you because it most certainly wasn't 100% your fault, I was being overly protective and acting like a prick. I'm not the thickest-skinned person around, and since English isn't my first language it's even easier to get offended. I'm truly sorry.

Everyone deserves my respect and if I sounded rude or offended you in any way, I sincerely apologize for that.

Be seeing you around! :)
Post edited February 23, 2014 by groze
CharlesGrey: Ditto. To both of that, actually. :)

Although, I might do a MW2 style GOG boycott.

*organizes anti-regional pricing protest group* ... *pre-orders all the new games as soon as they're available*
Lodium: Lol, laughed so hard from this.
No, I'm serious.

Wanna join my protest group? We have to work together in order to make a difference.

So... what do you think those great new games are going to be? Not that I have plans to buy them, and support this evil regional pricing scheme, or anything. But I probably will.
That is so sad news gog [*]
Lodium: To me stealing woud be if you copy a game and then sell it to others.
To actually steal something you have to gain the source code/orginal game.
It dosnt help me if im a theif and snatch a copy since the creator can just change the code sligtly or updating the game making my so called stealed copy unrellevant.

With that said, im not supporting piracy wholeheartily but calling them thiefs is a little stretching it to far.
CarrionCrow: Used to look at things a bit differently. But if you spend long enough looking at pages with a thousand, ten thousand, five hundred thousand views? It punches holes in the "well, maybe they're poor/don't have access/whatever" rationale and makes me think, "Okay, a whole lot of people are stealing the hell out of Video Game/TV Show/Movie/Music Whatever". I'd use the term thief on this one since it's definitely what I would have applied to myself. Cut past the excuses, the reasons, all that, and it comes down to a lot of people taking a lot of shit that isn't theirs.
Ok , let me ask you this then.
You take pictures of a car wich isnt yours
and dont give those pictures to the owner/creator
You now have information about the car and how it looks but you cant actually make it the same way as the orginal creators.
what you can do however is maybe print out a car that looks alike but isnt the same car from a 3D printer.
Is this stealing even though you have bougth your 3D printer and bougth the materials to print out the car?
Post edited February 23, 2014 by Lodium
d2t: If you had to add 20-sth % of VAT tax on top of the price of a product when you sell stuff in Europe, would you cover that from your own pocket? Why would a developer or publisher sacrifice part of his income, because your or mine government taxes all products?
Ghorpm: Yeah, right. But some of us are not upset about regional pricing per se (or at least it's not the biggest issue). For me it was always about abandoning one of GOG's core value. They were taking about it for years, they made speeches and explained why the regional pricing is unfair. Their own words: "We were always stubborn and we stood for our principles because if we respect ourselves; if we respect the GOG model then we get respect from the human beings who buy from us. So it’s all about being consistent." And now what? Whoops, "regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe." Deal with it. Heck, they even made a lampoon about it. And now what? They plan to do exactly what they used to mock.

He who digs a pit for others, falls in himself...

Whoopsy daisy, I think I should have regionalize this proverb so here we go:

kto pod kim dołki kopie, sam w nie wpada
من حفر حفرة لأخيه وقع فيها
kdo jinému jámu kopá, sám do ní padá
den, der graver en grav for andre, falder tit selv i den
incidit in foveam qui primus fecerat illam
wer anderen eine Grube gräbt, fällt selbst hinein
όποιος σκάβει το λάκκο του αλλουνού, πέφτει ο ίδιος μέσα
den som gräver en grop åt andra, faller själv däri
chi scava la fossa agli altri, vi cade dentro egli stesso

I feel so much better indeed...
QFT
RS1978: No, it was never fixed due legal issues with the Australian government as far as I know.
Never fixed it with just Australian customers, or with other customers from other countries as well? Because I'm not Australian and don't live in Australia, yet I got an Australian version. Another member here that lives in the same country that I do got an uncensored version, the version that I was supposed to get, and they told me to download someone else's file instead of providing it to me themselves to correct it. :/
Post edited February 23, 2014 by JohnnyDollar
Novotnus: I hope we will find out... and find enough integrity in ourselves to ignore those publishers wherever they appear.
Hmmm I recall stating something of this being a good thing; No I'm not for regional pricing I think it sucks, but if we all agree not to buy something with regional pricing then I'm sure the numbers will show themselves, especially if they are compared against games that don't have regional pricing. Better if no one buys the game even if it's 80% off, and they can ask 'why isn't this selling?' and then they will eventually find this fourm and compare against the other 600+ games that aren't regionally priced and maybe withdraw their requirement.

Of course there are games that are only released on steam...
Digital_CHE: I agree with Selderij.
Try to purchase legaly Wolfenstein (2009) or Prey... You can't, because those games aren't available anymore; so they are abandonware... for now.
CarrionCrow: That doesn't make sense. Unavailable doesn't mean abandoned. A company doesn't have to keep supporting and making something available. That's their prerogative. Doesn't mean they abandoned the products, leaving them open to be downloaded by whoever. I wish I could get a copy of Eye of the Beholder. It's unavailable. That sucks. But me going out and swiping a copy is still me stealing. It's like saying it's okay to go after the treasure because the guard stopped giving a shit and went out for nachos instead. If you're not supposed to be there, then you're not, regardless of how many guards are involved.
I don't think you understand what the word 'stealing' means.

It may be illegal, but its certainly not stealing.
Radscorpion: That is so sad news gog [*]
What do you mean?
Clearly you didn't read the anouncement!
It says 'Good news!' right at the top of the message!
RS1978: No, it was never fixed due legal issues with the Australian government as far as I know.
JohnnyDollar: Never fixed it with just Australian customers, or with other customers from other countries as well? Because I'm not Australian and don't live in Australia, yet I got an Australian version. Another member here that lives in the same country that I do got an uncensored version, the version that I was supposed to get, and they told me to download someone else's file instead of providing it to me themselves to correct it. :/
That should be a mistake. Only Australian versions are concerned by this censorship. GOG should provide you a correct version and not fob you with such a poor workaround. Are you sure that you have an Australian version? I have no idea how I could judge this for sure except playing the certain scene.
CarrionCrow: But me going out and swiping a copy is still me stealing. It's like saying it's okay to go after the treasure because the guard stopped giving a shit and went out for nachos instead.
takethepain: I don't think you understand what the word 'stealing' means.

I'll have to agree, stealing is the wrong word. Piracy is a horrible word as it doesn't properly reflect it what it does, instead adding the negative stipulations of 'pirate' to ordinary individuals making them 'bad people' at least to the eyes of Hollywood and RIIA. When stealing you deny them that which you take.

Example: If I steal your computer you won't have it anymore. If a warehouse has all it's stock removed they no longer can sell it. Digital media isn't like that, if you get ahold of it without paying for it, they will still have an infinite number of copies they can make/sell.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by rtcvb32
takethepain: I don't think you understand what the word 'stealing' means.

rtcvb32: I'll have to agree, stealing is the wrong word. Piracy is a horrible word as it doesn't properly reflect it what it does, instead adding the negative stipulations of 'pirate' to ordinary individuals making them 'bad people' at least to the eyes of Hollywood and RIIA. When stealing you deny them that which you take.

Example: If I steal your computer you won't have it anymore. If a warehouse has all it's stock removed they no longer can sell it. Digital media isn't like that, if you get ahold of it without paying for it, they will still have an infinite number of copies they can make/sell.
->"they will still have an infinite number of copies they can make/sell."

but to whom? Not to the persons who have it already without paying for it. :)
JohnnyDollar: Never fixed it with just Australian customers, or with other customers from other countries as well? Because I'm not Australian and don't live in Australia, yet I got an Australian version. Another member here that lives in the same country that I do got an uncensored version, the version that I was supposed to get, and they told me to download someone else's file instead of providing it to me themselves to correct it. :/
RS1978: That should be a mistake. Only Australian versions are concerned by this censorship. GOG should provide you a correct version and not fob you with such a poor workaround. Are you sure that you have an Australian version? I have no idea how I could judge this for sure except playing the certain scene.
If these 2 files are not present elf_flotsam.dzip and succubuss.dzip then you have the censored version.