It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Selderij: No really, your concept of stealing is out of whack (or alternatively you just feel the need to be subversive and edgy) and you need to admit that to yourself. Theft requires the owner of something to lose that something in the process. Piracy requires the owner of something to suffer a damage to their revenue when that something is copied, making the generous and simplifying assumption that a copied product equals a lost sale of an original.

Abandonware is abandoned software that you can't buy from an official source and the copying of which affects its IP owners in no way whatsoever: no lost material, no lost data, no lost revenues, no lost custom, nothing at all. Freeware is software that its lawful owners are actively distributing for free. I hope this helped.
Digital_CHE: I agree with Selderij.
Try to purchase legaly Wolfenstein (2009) or Prey... You can't, because those games aren't available anymore; so they are abandonware... for now.
That doesn't make sense. Unavailable doesn't mean abandoned. A company doesn't have to keep supporting and making something available. That's their prerogative. Doesn't mean they abandoned the products, leaving them open to be downloaded by whoever. I wish I could get a copy of Eye of the Beholder. It's unavailable. That sucks. But me going out and swiping a copy is still me stealing. It's like saying it's okay to go after the treasure because the guard stopped giving a shit and went out for nachos instead. If you're not supposed to be there, then you're not, regardless of how many guards are involved.
Ghorpm: Whoopsy daisy, I think I should have regionalize this proverb so here we go:
RS1978: Made my day! :D
It brightened up my day a bit too ;) Enjoying life's simple pleasures...
Selderij: No really, your concept of stealing is out of whack (or alternatively you just feel the need to be subversive and edgy) and you need to admit that to yourself. Theft requires the owner of something to lose that something in the process. Piracy requires the owner of something to suffer a damage to their revenue when that something is copied, making the generous and simplifying assumption that a copied product equals a lost sale of an original.

Abandonware is abandoned software that you can't buy from an official source and the copying of which affects its IP owners in no way whatsoever: no lost material, no lost data, no lost revenues, no lost custom, nothing at all. Freeware is software that its lawful owners are actively distributing for free. I hope this helped.
CarrionCrow: That's the thing right there, though. How can anyone who doesn't have access to all the information a creator would have be able to tell what the effect is? What if a creator has a mind to start distributing a game again? Pretty sure the market would be affected if a working copy has already been passed out for free beforehand. Some people might buy it out of a sense of obligation, but odds are that others would not.
As far as the definition of theft goes, to me it reads as having something I'm not supposed to. If it was made by someone else, and I didn't buy it, then I didn't obtain it legally. If I obtained it illegally, then that's a form of theft. I would then possess something I wasn't supposed to. It definitely feels like a lot of people have taken the term of abandonware as a way of mitigating association to negative labels like software piracy, to attach a higher ideal to it. Doesn't change it, though. Only difference is in how much people get upset over you stealing their stuff.
We are going OT here, however I want to respond. Theft is when one loses something and other gains it. It does not work like that with information... I do not much agree with the whole concept of copyright and such, in my experience it does not work much and are abused by big monopoly like organizations... I think that paying for games and ideas to author is right thing to do, but when owner of rights asks for unfair price or makes product unavailable in your country or requires you to buy it with DRM... I do not see that as fair. It is probably about point of view, but one thing is what is right and quite another what is leagal. And laws change.
Kyanti4869: Gamers vote EA as the worst company in USA. Two months later, they buy the hell out of their games.... lol
You know... sometimes I feel like I want to call it quits.
RS1978: Remember the Modern Warfare boycott? It's always the same. ;)
Hear, hear.

Imho all this current noise on the forum is mostly irrelevant. The majority of GOG users rarely use the forum anyway, or only come here when they have problems with some game they bought. Let's just wait until those great (?) new games are actually available for purchase/pre-order, then we ( including the GOG team ) will see where we stand. I'm quite curious, both about the new games, but also about whether or not they'll sell well with the whole regional pricing controversy.

( And what kind of retarded boycott is that supposed to be anyway, @ MW2. If they already bought the game, why would EA care, even if they all stopped playing? *facepalm* )
[edit: deleted, something weird just happened]
Post edited February 23, 2014 by groze
JohnnyDollar: ...DRM-free is what brought me here. I mean I like GOG, but that's always been the linchpin here afaic.
Ditto - the wider introduction of regional pricing does bother me though, since the next step is regional restrictions, and implementing that properly (i.e. preventing out-of-region installation or play) does then require DRM. There's no justification for regional pricing on cost grounds (bandwidth costs don't vary by customer location) so it's no more than pandering to publisher prejudice.

Which then begs the question: if GOG are prepared to compromise on this, how long until DRM-free gets splatted on the same altar of convenience?
JohnnyDollar: I wouldn't call Steam a monopoly though. They're a dominant force in the DD business, but not a monopoly.
Games using Steamworks DRM (e.g. Napoleon Total War, Civilization V) require a Steam account and all that comes with it, however they are purchased making Steam a monopoly in those cases.
Sogi-Ya: Regional pricing is shit, but it is not something that GOG can control since publishers set the price;
NetAndy: This is interesting, I really do not understand how is this allowed. In my business I can not ask anyone to pay more, even if they are from different country. It happens sometimes, but it is illegal. However publishers are allowed to do this, they can change price just because customer happens to be from different country... and where is room for free marker in the syslem like this, it is like cartel...

I know that gog's fault is that they merely accepted and became part of broken system, but why is there broken system in the first place? Regional pricing is not at all about different taxes...and in some cases it goes with no availability in certain regions. Anyone wonders why people pirate games (especially those who are not avaialable on service like gog for fair price without DRM with all DLCs and full soundtrack)?
It has to do with licensing in a location, not actual nationality ... I'm American, but I can't continue to demand the American price if I went to Australia and tried to buy a game from there.

Some times it has to do with local taxes (like Brazil charges insane tax rates on imported electronics) but usually it has to do with how captive the market is; before Amazon, publishers actually used to quietly bill different rates depending on the state you were in.
CharlesGrey: ( And what kind of retarded boycott is that supposed to be anyway, @ MW2. If they already bought the game, why would EA care, even if they all stopped playing? *facepalm* )
Don't ask me. I've never played a COD nor have I plans to boycott GOG. I've posted this just for fun. ;)
d2t: If you had to add 20-sth % of VAT tax on top of the price of a product when you sell stuff in Europe, would you cover that from your own pocket? Why would a developer or publisher sacrifice part of his income, because your or mine government taxes all products?
Ghorpm: Yeah, right. But some of us are not upset about regional pricing per se (or at least it's not the biggest issue). For me it was always about abandoning one of GOG's core value. They were taking about it for years, they made speeches and explained why the regional pricing is unfair. Their own words: "We were always stubborn and we stood for our principles because if we respect ourselves; if we respect the GOG model then we get respect from the human beings who buy from us. So it’s all about being consistent." And now what? Whoops, "regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe." Deal with it. Heck, they even made a lampoon about it. And now what? They plan to do exactly what they used to mock.

He who digs a pit for others, falls in himself...

Whoopsy daisy, I think I should have regionalize this proverb so here we go:

kto pod kim dołki kopie, sam w nie wpada
من حفر حفرة لأخيه وقع فيها
kdo jinému jámu kopá, sám do ní padá
den, der graver en grav for andre, falder tit selv i den
incidit in foveam qui primus fecerat illam
wer anderen eine Grube gräbt, fällt selbst hinein
όποιος σκάβει το λάκκο του αλλουνού, πέφτει ο ίδιος μέσα
den som gräver en grop åt andra, faller själv däri
chi scava la fossa agli altri, vi cade dentro egli stesso

I feel so much better indeed...
So much epic in just one post.
Regional pricing... Not cool, GOG. Unless you do something similar as you did with the Witcher2 (another game as a compensation for higher price).
CarrionCrow: That's the thing right there, though. How can anyone who doesn't have access to all the information a creator would have be able to tell what the effect is? What if a creator has a mind to start distributing a game again? Pretty sure the market would be affected if a working copy has already been passed out for free beforehand. Some people might buy it out of a sense of obligation, but odds are that others would not.
As far as the definition of theft goes, to me it reads as having something I'm not supposed to. If it was made by someone else, and I didn't buy it, then I didn't obtain it legally. If I obtained it illegally, then that's a form of theft. I would then possess something I wasn't supposed to. It definitely feels like a lot of people have taken the term of abandonware as a way of mitigating association to negative labels like software piracy, to attach a higher ideal to it. Doesn't change it, though. Only difference is in how much people get upset over you stealing their stuff.
NetAndy: We are going OT here, however I want to respond. Theft is when one loses something and other gains it. It does not work like that with information... I do not much agree with the whole concept of copyright and such, in my experience it does not work much and are abused by big monopoly like organizations... I think that paying for games and ideas to author is right thing to do, but when owner of rights asks for unfair price or makes product unavailable in your country or requires you to buy it with DRM... I do not see that as fair. It is probably about point of view, but one thing is what is right and quite another what is leagal. And laws change.
It can work with information, though. Example - you can pay someone to introduce certain kinds of pleasurable information into your brain. (Was trying for a hypothetical, but that actually sounds about right for anything a person might find enjoyable.) That person charges. I do it instead, using the exact same kind of information, but not charging you. The one charging will lose in that exchange more often than not. I also agree that copyright needs to be revamped, that the culture of video games in general needs to be preserved before it gets nuked entirely. Don't think region-based pricing is fair, either. Unless you've got a hell of a lot of stats to back up exactly why Person A should be charged less/more than Person B, it strikes me as bullshit. And of course, right versus legal, legal versus sensible, is often in conflict.
Many of us are understandably upset about the regional pricing, whether it affects us directly or not, however, let’s try not to lose our heads, and be rational. Take a moment to think things through. Pricing is going to ultimately be decided by sales, our voting with our wallets, and pricing will be adjusted over time.

If we are ever to move the DRM free Revolution forward, then we must get the big AAA Developers and Publishers on board with us, in the DRM free distribution markets. And this isn’t just about Gaming, we can expand the cause to Movies, Music and Literature or reference materials as well.

GoG has made a compromise in their pricing principles to make this happen. The AAA Devs and Pubs have made a compromise on their DRM policies to make this happen. Unfortunately the current structure of the large business models are bound to regional pricing and content restrictions, but that doesn’t mean that it will always remain so.

We must be constructive in our criticisms, expressing our influence as a community to be more forward thinking. Let’s welcome these new Devs and Pubs that release their Titles on all DRM free sites.

When it comes to restricted access to content, that is something we can petition Governments and businesses to ease up on, if we make a compromise with possible posted warnings and/or age restriction guidelines, to let individuals decide whether the content is appropriate for them.

(an echo of my post in another thread... ) :P
Post edited February 23, 2014 by GhostwriterDoF
I always accept higher prices with specific bonuses. In germany, books in german war often quite expensive, because of the translation costs. movies have to be synchronized. etc. but i buy my books and my movies in english and import much. and its cheaper. the same product with different prices and 1:1 content -> no thanks :)
Vel_Grozny: Regional pricing... Not cool, GOG. Unless you do something similar as you did with the Witcher2 (another game as a compensation for higher price).
This is what was posted on the front page. we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2
Selderij: [snipped for post character limitations, sorry]
No. You don't have to take my wishful thinking at face value. But neither do I have to take your endless speculation and doom spelling for granted, as well.

I don't want to be rewarded nor recognized for any kind of sacrifice, and I'm sorry if I left you thinking some sort of reward had to be monetary. I actually think this "reward" can be in the form of better customer service, more titles and options to choose from -- perhaps some that had been requested and coveted for a long time. That's what I think can -- notice I said can, not certainly will -- happen, and it's ultimately good for the customers.

Selderij: Russian customers paying less for their games does in no way require that Europeans and Australians pay more than usual. It's the latter point that's at issue here.
So, according to your logic, it's fine the way the system is now, because Europeans and Australians pay less, even if Russians and some Euro Zone countries actually pay more?! I fail to see the "fairness" in that, sorry.

Everything you said is fine and dandy, but there's one thing in which I beg to differ: DRM-free is not as vague or open a concept as you make it sound. I'm no expert in law and economics, nor will I pretend to be, but, working in the business of book publishing, I can assure you I have to work with DRM every single day, and trust me when I say it is very real and not as a matter of image and ideology as you make it out to be. DRM is not "EULA" or "ToS", it's actual, practical, sometimes invasive measures publishers take in order to control customer access to digital content. Stuff like limiting downloads, making always online mandatory, having you register your product, etc. I'm not going into that whole "owning/renting" issue, because my background in philosophy and literature taught me some notions that will most definitely go against your "practical" knowledge of the world and how it works or should work.

In short, DRM-free is no "minor" thing on GOG, it's arguably the most heavyweight argument in their favor ever since the beginning. It's a really huge showing of consumer rights respect, believe it or not. For most consumers, albeit important, all their other core values are secondary. DRM-free is not secondary by any means, and even if the games that will have regional pricing are available everywhere else for the same price, they're only available fully DRM-free on GOG. And if gamers care more about selfish needs, by buying a DRM-riddled title just because it's a bit cheaper, then it's not GOG's values that are at stake, now, right? DRM-free is what draws most of the GOG user base in here, as much as you and this vocal minority -- so vocal you might get the impression it's actually a majority -- may think otherwise.

I'm as sad as the next man about these changes, don't get me wrong -- I truly am. But, right now, let's have a bit more faith in the guys at GOG, they're learning as they go, as well, and if this turns out to be a huge mistake, then I'm sure they'll learn from it and try a different approach.

At this moment, anything other than waiting to see what really happens and where this actually leads and leaves us is rushing things and is ultimately futile. You don't need to take my wishful thinking for nothing, I don't ask you to. Just simmer a bit down, let the chips fall where they may, we'll see what to do when things are actually happening.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by groze