It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I was looking at the ASUS Prime X370-Pro, but I'm hearing mixed things about pretty much every AM4 mobo atm.
I think everyone is pretty indecisive about motherboards at the moment, except those with brand loyalty.

Some people are certainly having very good results with cheaper boards and while ASUS' AM4s probably have the worst reputation- at the moment, though their support also has a bit of a flakey rep in general- many have had good results from them as well. Personally, I've used one (non AM4) ASUS board before and it was fantastic value and nearly completely without problems over a long period; and the AM4 boards with better reps aren't without issues either.

Ryzens being significantly faster with faster memory is also an issue when choosing. At the moment it's unclear which combination of motherboard and RAM speeds will be optimal or even which will consistently work together at rated speeds.
More info' as to why Ryzen is tad behind on some games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tfTZjugDeg
fishbaits: More info' as to why Ryzen is tad behind on some games.

Good that I do not run an NVIDIA with my Ryzen. All AMD System, Fury Nano ftw! ;-)

By the way, my CPU and RAM came back from the shop a week after I sent it in. Both tested good they said. The mainboard was broken! Probably the beta BIOS Gigabyte published did not work correctly and thus they may also have pulled the BIOS from download a few days after my PC refused to start.

Anyway I got my money back for the Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 and bought an ASUS Prime X370 Pro instead which will be here tomorrow I think. Everything up and running again by tomorrow afternoon I hope.

In the meanwhile, it was a good time trying out Linux Mint on my old Phenom2 AM2+ with the Radeon HD5870 and I was really pleased to see that next to everything works out of the box for this ancient hardware. I especially like the repository and aptget stuff. That is very neat. I am happy though to go back to Windows (10) which is still the better and much more comfortable OS in my opinion. Anybody needs a working Linux Mint PC? ... or better I keep it if something breaks again. :-D
Post edited March 31, 2017 by Quasebarth
fishbaits: More info' as to why Ryzen is tad behind on some games.

Quasebarth: Good that I do not run an NVIDIA with my Ryzen. All AMD System, Fury Nano ftw! ;-)

By the way, my CPU and RAM came back from the shop a week after I sent it in. Both tested good they said. The mainboard was broken! Probably the beta BIOS Gigabyte published did not work correctly and thus they may also have pulled the BIOS from download a few days after my PC refused to start.

Anyway I got my money back for the Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 and bought an ASUS Prime X370 Pro instead which will be here tomorrow I think. Everything up and running again by tomorrow afternoon I hope.

In the meanwhile, it was a good time trying out Linux Mint on my old Phenom2 AM2+ with the Radeon HD5870 and I was really pleased to see that next to everything works out of the box for this ancient hardware. I especially like the repository and aptget stuff. That is very neat. I am happy though to go back to Windows (10) which is still the better and much more comfortable OS in my opinion. Anybody needs a working Linux Mint PC? ... or better I keep it if something breaks again. :-D
It was good to see someone using AMD gfx cards, as it seems everyone & their mutt uses 1080s or similar. Hardly giving a fair representative of gaming world.

I'd say keep it as a back up pc, or better still, use both at once ;)
Or is that just me & my rendering farm fantasies hehe.

Bet you're over excited for tomorrow.

P.S. If you've got Mad Max on steam, you can opt into open beta in settings to get Vulkan access. Apparently doubles the framerate 8D
Quasebarth: Good that I do not run an NVIDIA with my Ryzen. All AMD System, Fury Nano ftw! ;-)

fishbaits: It was good to see someone using AMD gfx cards, as it seems everyone & their mutt uses 1080s or similar. Hardly giving a fair representative of gaming world.

P.S. If you've got Mad Max on steam, you can opt into open beta in settings to get Vulkan access. Apparently doubles the framerate 8D
I did rendering maybe some 20 years ago. Before Blender and with DOS-batch rendering software which took over 12 hours to render a simple scenery of 640x480 pixel. Was it on an AMD K6 350 MHz with 24 MB RAM or was it already on the Duron or even later on the Athlon, I don't know for sure. I just noticed now my last Intel CPU was the first Pentium 166 MHz back in the nineties. I was close getting another Intel just a year ago, but well ... ;-) I did not take long that I noticed that for the art of rendering, I am missing the creative talent. So I moved on to other things.

I do not have many recent Steam games. The last 2 years for me it's: what's not on GOG.com will not be played! With very few exceptions (namely FIFA and GTA). I just got a Steam-key for the ASUS board for the upcoming Bethesda game Prey, but I am not really into horror FPS, so may as well give it away at some point (although I have an Steam account with quit a lot of games). Obviously they have an AMD bundle at the moment: https://www.asus-promotion.de/prey

Of course I am excited for tomorrow and a bit worried that the expensive hardware shit will once again work after I put together. I have built so many rigs now and yet I am still nervous when I press the power button for the first time.
Post edited March 31, 2017 by Quasebarth
fishbaits: It was good to see someone using AMD gfx cards, as it seems everyone & their mutt uses 1080s or similar. Hardly giving a fair representative of gaming world.

Quasebarth: I did rendering maybe some 20 years ago. Before Blender and with DOS-batch rendering software which took over 12 hours to render a simple scenery of 640x480 pixel. Was it on an AMD K6 350 MHz with 24 MB RAM or was it already on the Duron or even later on the Athlon, I don't know for sure. I just noticed now my last Intel CPU was the first Pentium 166 MHz back in the nineties. I was close getting another Intel just a year ago, but well ... ;-) I did not take long that I noticed that for the art of rendering, I am missing the creative talent. So I moved on to other things.

I do not have many recent Steam games. The last 2 years for me it's: what's not on GOG.com will not be played! With very few exceptions (namely FIFA and GTA). I just got a Steam-key for the ASUS board for the upcoming Bethesda game Prey, but I am not really into horror FPS, so may as well give it away at some point (although I have an Steam account with quit a lot of games). Obviously they have an AMD bundle at the moment: https://www.asus-promotion.de/prey

Of course I am excited for tomorrow and a bit worried that the expensive hardware shit will once again work after I put together. I have built so many rigs now and yet I am still nervous when I press the power button for the first time.
I'm similar. Any time I do anything to anyones computer/hardware of any sort, the "press on" time is panic time, but usually works out okay :D

I used to barely play games on my Amiga1200, spent rest of time rendering/doodling etc.
I recall once, taking a ridiculous amount of time to render a 600 frame animation of Babylon5 stuff on Lightwave.
Render tested again few years back, was rendering several frame a second on newer systems.
How times change 8D

Can't wait to test out a Ryzen set-up.
Post edited March 31, 2017 by fishbaits
Ryzen 5 1400 vs i5 7400 vs G4560 vs i3 6100 - 8 Games Tested - Gaming Performance! - Benchmarks.

If AMD do beat Intel on prices, like they did massively with first range of CPUs, these could turn out okay.

More AMD DX11/12 comparisons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBf2lvfKkxA&t=6s&list=PL_sfYUCEg8Og_I4k7nL62IsMrJv5rFRa_&index=44

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62n813/inspired_by_adoredtv_latest_work_the_division/

Using RX470s, wow!
Post edited March 31, 2017 by fishbaits
Quasebarth: Of course I am excited for tomorrow and a bit worried that the expensive hardware shit will once again work after I put together. I have built so many rigs now and yet I am still nervous when I press the power button for the first time.
fishbaits: I'm similar. Any time I do anything to anyones computer/hardware of any sort, the "press on" time is panic time, but usually works out okay :D
Isn't this thrill part of the pleasure to build one's own config, after all ? This is also how I feel each time I build something. That was true when I assembled a rig for the first time - an AMD 486DX4-100Mhz, on I think a QDI Motherboard, 23 years ago - that's still true nowadays.
fishbaits: I'm similar. Any time I do anything to anyones computer/hardware of any sort, the "press on" time is panic time, but usually works out okay :D
Phc7006: Isn't this thrill part of the pleasure to build one's own config, after all ? This is also how I feel each time I build something. That was true when I assembled a rig for the first time - an AMD 486DX4-100Mhz, on I think a QDI Motherboard, 23 years ago - that's still true nowadays.
Definitely.
My first (sort of) build was taking an A1200 & cutting it into a huuuuge tower unit & adding all sorts of stuff.
My current FrankenPC, the tower fittings inside took too much space, so I couldn't swap from my HD6850 to my RX480.
Pair of tin snips, some tidying up & ta-da, a card fitting perfectly into a tower that it shouldn't be ;)
Phc7006: Isn't this thrill part of the pleasure to build one's own config, after all ? This is also how I feel each time I build something. That was true when I assembled a rig for the first time - an AMD 486DX4-100Mhz, on I think a QDI Motherboard, 23 years ago - that's still true nowadays.
fishbaits: Definitely.
My first (sort of) build was taking an A1200 & cutting it into a huuuuge tower unit & adding all sorts of stuff.
My current FrankenPC, the tower fittings inside took too much space, so I couldn't swap from my HD6850 to my RX480.
Pair of tin snips, some tidying up & ta-da, a card fitting perfectly into a tower that it shouldn't be ;)
On my A1200 I did nothing fancy, only added a 40 MB harddisk that cost me a fortune of my yearly pocket money income. Now I bought a 2 TB backup harddisk for about a half of the price for the 40 MB harddisk. Times change. The first PC I built on my own was this mentioned AMD K6 on an VIA chipset board of unkonwn brand (but cheap it was).

My former build/spare PC is an midi-tower case from 2008. When I first added the HD5870 in its time, the case was too short so I had to cut some of the internal drive cages with a metal saw and bend some stuff out of the way. And better not take a look at the wiring in this case. German prime quality craftsmanship ... well maybe not. ;-)

The new case has a lot more space and some intelligent tricks to make a proper wiring. I tend to call it a bit boring though (not really the need for screwdrivers and stuff), although it looks much cleaner and has of course a much better air flow. I am sure there will be the moment when the metal saw is needed for this case as well in the future ... anyway, it's always ready! :-D
Post edited April 01, 2017 by Quasebarth
fishbaits: Definitely.
Quasebarth: On my A1200 I did nothing fancy, only added a 40 MB harddisk that cost me a fortune of my yearly pocket money income. Now I bought a 2 TB backup harddisk for about a half of the price for the 40 MB harddisk. Times change. The first PC I built on my own was this mentioned AMD K6 on an VIA chipset board of unkonwn brand (but cheap it was).

My former build/spare PC is an midi-tower case from 2008. When I first added the HD5870 in its time, the case was too short so I had to cut some of the internal drive cages with a metal saw and bend some stuff out of the way. And better not take a look at the wiring in this case. German prime quality craftsmanship ... well maybe not. ;-)

The new case has a lot more space and some intelligent tricks to make a proper wiring. I tend to call it a bit boring though (not really the need for screwdrivers and stuff), although it looks much cleaner and has of course a much better air flow. I am sure there will be the moment when the metal saw is needed for this case as well in the future ... anyway, it's always ready! :-D
Showing my age, but I was working way back then.
I had the A1200 & a Blizzard 1230/IV accelerator which I then upgraded to a 68040/PPC603e & PPC gfx card, Zip drives, CDRW, few HDDs (forget what size, still got them though) & more memory.
Aaah, good times.
Sheesh! Some folk are determined to try & make Ryzen look bad.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62o6ug/kill_me_please_from_totallysilencedtech/
Attachments:
2fps.png (140 Kb)
fishbaits: Sheesh! Some folk are determined to try & make Ryzen look bad.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62o6ug/kill_me_please_from_totallysilencedtech/
Just... ugh.

People keep making graphs like that, and a lot of people keep falling for them.... kind of glad the guy got called out for it.
Reddit is always upset about this type of graphs. If you can't read some numbers these kind of graphs should be your last concern.