It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

HunchBluntley: (Also, I think I kind of misused "frood", but only because I couldn't think of a way to include it otherwise.)
You did, but given Adams' propensity for inventing his own words and generally manipulating the language like a stage magician manipulates his props, I think you misused it "in his spirit", so to speak ;-)
8BitGinno: I wish I would read more often.

Any recommendations on sci-fi books that don't "toss" you into their crazy lore? As in they don't start mentioning all these weird lingo that you have no idea about.
You should probably steer clear of A Clockwork Orange, then.

Actually, I do recommend the book, just don't make the same mistake I did. There's a dictionary in the back of the book; a fact which I only discovered after having read the entire damn thing and figuring out the meaning of each word from the context. I noticed there were still quite a few pages left, so I turned over the last page, and BAM! Dictionary! I've rarely felt more stupid in my life than I did in that moment ;-)
Post edited February 08, 2015 by Wishbone
Wishbone: You should probably steer clear of A Clockwork Orange, then.

Actually, I do recommend the book, just don't make the same mistake I did. There's a dictionary in the back of the book; a fact which I only discovered after having read the entire damn thing and figuring out the meaning of each word from the context. I noticed there were still quite a few pages left, so I turned over the last page, and BAM! Dictionary! I've rarely felt more stupid in my life than I did in that moment ;-)
Well, you aren't totally alone in that respect, I did the same thing. It was like learning a whole new language without any referrences. When I discovered the dictionary at the back it initially made me want to rip the novel into several pieces, then thought to myself, "Why, I'll just leave it for my room-mate, he did after all ask if he could borrow it after I was done. (place evil laugh track here)"
FineEdge60: *discussing A Clockwork Orange*
I hope you read the original, rather than the butchered US release?
I am almost literally eating through books on asian techniques, from breathing exercises and chi-kung, to meditation and traditional chinese medicine. Trying to implement them physically and with good success rate, too, up to now. I don't feel content or safe enough with just being fit or training in a certain art, i want to put everything to max and full extremes, so i can always perform 150% of what i am able to, at any given moment or worse, need/danger...

I will omit titles, because this variety of books, especially those on TCM, are NOT of the "try it at home" variety for the vast majority of people.
I'm reading The Little Prince ... Hey, don't laugh! It's in Chinese and I'm trying to get better at the language. :)
Yes, it was the original, unfortunately I read the other version several months later, totally disappointing.
Finished The Absolute Sandman 3, started The Authority vol 2 (Millar's run).

After that I'm going to read Dangerous Visions and Endymion.
Reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (for the first time). :)

I'm finding classics that I have favorite movies of, and reading the original works. In this instance, Treasure Island (1934 with Wallace Beery and Jackie Cooper).

Already read Pride and the Prejudice by Jane Austin. (1940, Greer Garson and Lawrence Olivier.)

A Tale of two Cities (1935 Ronald Coleman, Reginald Owen, Edna May Oliver and Basil Rathbone) and,

Great Expectations (1946 Directed by David Lean, Alec Guinness, John Mills and Jean Simmons) by Charles Dickens.

Moby Dick by Herman Melville (1956, Directed by John Huston, Gregory Peck, Richard Basehart and Harry Andrews, also Ray Bradbury worked with John Huston on the screenplay.)
WhiteElk: We got "What are you Listening to?" And probably got "What are you Playing?".

So, What are you Reading?

Order in Chaos by Jack Whyte
Book three of the Templar Trilogy
I'm a town in Berkshire, England
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading,_Berkshire
I'm pretty quiet and boring for most of the year but then, on August bank holiday I host the Reading Festival
http://www.readingfestival.com/
So that makes up for it!
Post edited February 09, 2015 by Fever_Discordia
I'm reading Shakespeare's "As you like it" at the moment, as I'll be seeing it at a local theater this Thursday, and again at the Globe in the spring.
Started reading the first book of Lemony Snicket's "All the wrong questions" series, Who could that be at this hour?. So far it didn't disappoint, regarding the expected silliness. :D
I just finished reading "First and Last Sorcerer" a novel of the Noble Dead by Barb & J. C. Hendee. Was a great book, the only bad thing is I have to wait another 11 months for the end of the series :(
Finished reading this edition of The Warlord of Mars by E. R. Burroughs, third chapter in the John Carter saga. 3/5, books from the past century are as sweet as molasses...
"Dracula - Prince of Many Faces" by Radu R. Florescu & Raymond T. McNally. It's a biography of the real historical Dracula (Vlad the Impaler). Pretty interesting stuff.
Finished reading this old Italian edition of Wave without a Shore by Carolyn J. Cherryh. 3/5, the story is "meh", Cherryh's prose is fascinating.