It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Greetings, Hunters!

<span class="bold">Victor Vran</span>, an action filled next step in aRPG design, is available now for Windows and Mac - complete with GOG Galaxy Achievements, DRM-free, and 10% off for the first week!

In a genre that's seen immense highs and extended lows, it seems that we're always waiting for the secret formula for the perfect action RPG. Some say it's all about an overwhelming amount of loot, upgrades and treats galore. Others choose to experiment with new and innovative ways to connect their players, or to give them new types of control over making their character one of a kind. Victor Vran brings its own answers to the table.

It's a game that places movement and action first, truly putting the "action" in the aRPG, eliminating the boundaries of a traditional class system, and opting for freeform gear-based progression. A combat-oriented approach doesn't mean that Victor Vran is lacking in the other departments either - there's plenty of loot to collect and increasingly awesome weapons to find (including what looks an awful lot like a lightsaber) as well as innovative character progression. All that's there, however, is enhanced by an unprecedented movement system that will have you (and up to 4 of your co-op buddies) leaping, dodging and wallrunning. It's a game where survival is based on so much more than how hard you can hit.

GOG.com Exclusive Bonus
For a little something special, your copy of the game will come with a one-time-use GOG.com-exclusive Treasure Key! Just log in to your GOG.com account, start your single-player game, and redeem it in-game for a fountain of gold and the following drops:

- Med Kit (Legendary) - An endless healing potion.
- Hope Destiny Card (Uncommon) - Provides additional health when equipped. Can be equipped on level 2.
- Diamond Demon Power (Uncommon) - Creates a protective shield. Can be equipped immediately.
- Gift Box - A box that can be opened for random loot.
- Red, Green and Blue dyes - Used to colorize your outfit. Transmutation unlocks at level 16.

Q&A With The Devs
Have questions about the game that only the devs can answer? Join the team behind Victor Vran for a special Q&A session this coming Monday!
Boyan (Lead Designer) and Momchil (Designer) from Haemimont Games will be visiting our forums on Monday (July 27) starting 6pm GMT (8pm CEST / 2pm EST / 11am PST to answer all your questions about the game, the life behind game development, or their favorite type of sandwich. Save the date, stay tuned for the announcement thread, and come hang out with us.

Experience the definition of "a" in aRPG with <span class="bold">Victor Vran</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com! The launch discount will last for one week, until Friday, July 31, at 9:59 AM GMT.
Double-post, sorry for this.
Post edited July 24, 2015 by throgh
yogsloth: That is the very definition of DRM. How do you not know this?

If my software has to phone home to a remote server, authenticate, and then give me a one-time activation...

I mean, there can't possibly be a more clear example of DRM. It's literally the actual, exact definition.

Short of flying to Poland and knocking on GOG's door with literal torches and pitchforks... what do we do? This is absolutely a game-breaker for me. A fatal shot to the temple.
synfresh: You miss the point. The authentication is in no way, shape or form preventing you from accessing any single part of this game. None. The whole point of DRM is to limit the buyer to what the publisher/developer wants. You can install this game on a million other machines and you'll have access to the same stuff as someone to used the key.
exactly. The buyer is prevented from using the key more than once. Selling a digital item and limiting the number of uses always comes with some form of DRM mechanism.
HijacK: I'm not sure calling it DRM is right though.
DRM = Digital Rights Management

The right to use the GOG bonus is digitally managed (by a key, login or whatever), no question. DRM as it's defined.

As you can play the game without the bonus it's arguable if that DRM mechanism affects the game or not, though.

But ...

Coelocanth: But this is GOG. Champion of DRM-free. So how are they promoting something, even if it's just a glorified cheat code, with DRM activation as a thank-you exclusive to their customer base when supposedly one of their core principles is DRM-free? It makes no sense and stinks. Big time. How many more games will show up with this GOG-exclusive feature? Then how long before it turns into actual content that's locked behind an on-line 'one-time only' activation? Again, slippery slope and all that. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Exactly that!
low rated
yogsloth: That is the very definition of DRM. How do you not know this?

If my software has to phone home to a remote server, authenticate, and then give me a one-time activation...

I mean, there can't possibly be a more clear example of DRM. It's literally the actual, exact definition.

Short of flying to Poland and knocking on GOG's door with literal torches and pitchforks... what do we do? This is absolutely a game-breaker for me. A fatal shot to the temple.
Your butthurt is delicious, I hunger for more.
HijacK: I'm not sure calling it DRM is right though. The way I see it is that they give an incentive for players of this game to join up Galaxy. Galaxy as a whole is an investment for GOG. If it doesn't get the numbers they were hoping it will be classified as a failure.
LiefLayer: you don't need galaxy to use the key...
also they say it's optional...
also we use gog because it's 100% drm-free... if they start sell 90% drm-free I will buy my games on humble bundle that give me a steam key... there is a reason for me to use gog, it's to support drm-free, in games, movies etc...
I don't give a crap about galaxy or have a drm game on gog.
So don't go online while playing the game and yous till get 100% of the game. Same thing if you ask me. The fact that people have a problem with games that offer nonsensical bonuses through their in game interface while the game themselves are 100% DRM-free, not 90% like you say they are, is frankly ridiculous.
j0ekerr: Your butthurt is delicious, I hunger for more.
Don't do that. You're not cracking me up, little buddy.
Post edited July 24, 2015 by Vainamoinen
Grargar: Yes, there are other games. An example is Neverwinter Nights 2, which requires the usage of a unique key, even for LAN multiplayer.
LiefLayer: then it must not be on gog.
Not according to GoG users considering it's in the top 5 RPG's that's on here.
BKGaming: ...
LiefLayer: it don't means drm when you can install the same game on two computer use the same serial and play multiplayer, if you can't it's still drm.
If there are other games that use drm on gog than it's still wrong.
Online Multiplayer features often require a unique key, or login identify for users so it can accurately record your accumulated stats. It is not a form of DRM but a design feature. If a game does not require servers to store unique statistics (other than DLC you have unlocked and other game features), and you have to be online to access the Single Player side of the game, then it could be considered a form of DRM.

For a game that has servers that store unique user stats, if using the same game installer on two separate computers, and you can login to developer servers using two different user identities (on each computer) to play at the same time, then would you consider that to be a non-DRM online authentication?
high rated
I see both sides of this:

Side One: There IS DRM in the game. You have to log in - within the game itself - in order for the gameplay to behave differently than when you do NOT log in.

Side Two: But it's stuff that you can find on your own anyway so it's not like you're getting anything special.

But I lean toward the argument of Side One. Nevermind that it's optional. The point is that logging in to this single-player game causes the game to be different. "But you can get the stuff anyway!" Yes, you can, but you do not get it right away without logging in. That's the difference - logging in changes the gameplay experience, and it's done behind a DRM wall. If it were a menu option, such as an Easy mode that gives you the bonus content from the start without logging in, then I have absolutely no problem with it (the store-exclusive bit is another matter).

Actually, why ISN'T this simply a choice in a menu? Has to be easier than slapping in some phone-home code...

I have to take a stand on principle. I will vote with my wallet by not buying this title unless and until that situation changes. They were trying to do something different and that's fine, but the implementation was wrong from the standpoint of DRM-free. I buy games exclusively at this store mostly because of DRM-free, and I will not be supporting a title that goes back on that promise, no matter how insignificant the breach seems. Go back to the drawing board, revise the code a bit, and then I'll consider picking up the title. If not, then no sale.

If anything positive comes from this, it'll be that we customers are having our say in the matter. Often, it's not enough to simply not buy a game. The WHY of not buying is an important thing to voice, especially so when we're talking DRM. gOg, I'm sure you thought this was a decent idea, with a store-exclusive bonus to make us feel, I dunno, special or something, but how this got past the giant sign on the wall that says "We only sell DRM-free titles" is beyond me. Well, guess what? You're getting a reminder that this stuff matters to us. A lot.
low rated
apehater: so all the drm drama is about useless optional ingame content??
Pretty much, also wild speculation flying around combined with neckbeardedness like I have only seen in /tg/
synfresh: So then patches are DRM if they are released after the fact? Especially patches that add content? If the KOTOR 2 stuff gets added to GoG, is that DRM (you have to login to GoG to get it)?
throgh: Wait what? Patches are not comparable. Even if this is your comparison so let's try: A patch can be downloaded anytime. Is it also possible for this "one-time activation"? I had also my problems with "Age of Wonders 3" with its forced account to play and here we are again with another "nice-to-have"-feature.
So is the problem the 'one time activation' vs how your are activating it?
HijacK: I'm not sure calling it DRM is right though.
eiii: DRM = Digital Rights Management

The right to use the GOG bonus is digitally managed (by a key, login or whatever), no question. DRM as it's defined.

As you can play the game without the bonus it's arguable if that DRM mechanism affects the game or not, though.
Arguable? Really? Well then, I think we've reached a new stretch as far as overreacting goes.

As for the rest of the arguments, where was everybody when Age of Wonders 3 attempted similar things?
LiefLayer: then it must not be on gog.
synfresh: Not according to GoG users considering it's in the top 5 RPG's that's on here.
gog say 100% drm-free games, not me.
also batman would be popular if it was on gog, but that does not change the fact that the DRM and that should not be sold on gog.
synfresh: You miss the point. The authentication is in no way, shape or form preventing you from accessing any single part of this game. None. The whole point of DRM is to limit the buyer to what the publisher/developer wants. You can install this game on a million other machines and you'll have access to the same stuff as someone to used the key.
immi101: exactly. The buyer is prevented from using the key more than once. Selling a digital item and limiting the number of uses always comes with some form of DRM mechanism.
They are not selling an item, the item is already in the game. They are just granting you to get it sooner than you would normally in game.
Everyone - we will cover this game on GOG.com Twitch channel in 40 minutes, playing in co-op with developer! So, dev, ScreamingJoypad, Vlad from TheWeekendSlice and me - Outstar - playing together (and probably talking about this "DRM" drama, too). twitch.tv/gogcom - feel invited!