It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Greetings, Hunters!

<span class="bold">Victor Vran</span>, an action filled next step in aRPG design, is available now for Windows and Mac - complete with GOG Galaxy Achievements, DRM-free, and 10% off for the first week!

In a genre that's seen immense highs and extended lows, it seems that we're always waiting for the secret formula for the perfect action RPG. Some say it's all about an overwhelming amount of loot, upgrades and treats galore. Others choose to experiment with new and innovative ways to connect their players, or to give them new types of control over making their character one of a kind. Victor Vran brings its own answers to the table.

It's a game that places movement and action first, truly putting the "action" in the aRPG, eliminating the boundaries of a traditional class system, and opting for freeform gear-based progression. A combat-oriented approach doesn't mean that Victor Vran is lacking in the other departments either - there's plenty of loot to collect and increasingly awesome weapons to find (including what looks an awful lot like a lightsaber) as well as innovative character progression. All that's there, however, is enhanced by an unprecedented movement system that will have you (and up to 4 of your co-op buddies) leaping, dodging and wallrunning. It's a game where survival is based on so much more than how hard you can hit.

GOG.com Exclusive Bonus
For a little something special, your copy of the game will come with a one-time-use GOG.com-exclusive Treasure Key! Just log in to your GOG.com account, start your single-player game, and redeem it in-game for a fountain of gold and the following drops:

- Med Kit (Legendary) - An endless healing potion.
- Hope Destiny Card (Uncommon) - Provides additional health when equipped. Can be equipped on level 2.
- Diamond Demon Power (Uncommon) - Creates a protective shield. Can be equipped immediately.
- Gift Box - A box that can be opened for random loot.
- Red, Green and Blue dyes - Used to colorize your outfit. Transmutation unlocks at level 16.

Q&A With The Devs
Have questions about the game that only the devs can answer? Join the team behind Victor Vran for a special Q&A session this coming Monday!
Boyan (Lead Designer) and Momchil (Designer) from Haemimont Games will be visiting our forums on Monday (July 27) starting 6pm GMT (8pm CEST / 2pm EST / 11am PST to answer all your questions about the game, the life behind game development, or their favorite type of sandwich. Save the date, stay tuned for the announcement thread, and come hang out with us.

Experience the definition of "a" in aRPG with <span class="bold">Victor Vran</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com! The launch discount will last for one week, until Friday, July 31, at 9:59 AM GMT.
BKGaming: ...
Coelocanth: Yes, you can play the game. Yes, you can get that content via playing through the game.

But let's be clear here: the content itself isn't the issue. The issue is the fact that the Treasure Key, should you choose to use it, is authenticated on-line. This is the very definition of DRM. The fact that it actually adds nothing to the game that isn't already there is immaterial.
This is the very definition of DRM...

The wiki site explains it thoroughly, enough for you to understand what it is, why we fight against it and why we try not to slap a DRM label on every flawed implementation of marketing strategies that developers and publishers introduce with the releases of their games.... DRM is a cancer, and it isn't just restricted to games... it must be specifically opposed.
LiefLayer: You do not understand, the next time others will come. and slowly instead of games with DRM we will get exclusive content with DRM.
It is serious because it is a precedent.

it's ok to have drm dlc for Victor Vran, why not for any other games?
BKGaming: It's not exclusive content. that means you can only get said content exclusively by doing XYZ or buying from a certain store. The content is not exclusive, you get it by playing the game.

It's not DLC... the content is in game and obtainable. It's not additional content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downloadable_content
indeed, it's in game feature (you don't need to be online on steam to play the content you unlocked through ingame droped keys, it's most likely the same here. "cheat content" as a gift package is coded in the game) locked behind a one-time-only online activation with a user identification and authentification.

aka drm locked content.
Post edited July 24, 2015 by Randoo
LiefLayer: You do not understand, the next time others will come. and slowly instead of games with DRM we will get exclusive content with DRM.
It is serious because it is a precedent.

it's ok to have drm dlc for Victor Vran, why not for any other games?
BKGaming: It's not exclusive content. that means you can only get said content exclusively by doing XYZ or buying from a certain store. The content is not exclusive, you get it by playing the game.

It's not DLC... the content is in game and obtainable. It's not additional content.

It is a unique content, although you can get in-game is a welcome pack (style mmo).
If we agree to this in the future things will get worse, the games of gog replace the DRM with "exclusive content".
Maybe in this game it is simple to take the same objects as welcome pack (or maybe demands many hours of play), but who is to say that the next will be easy? who says that it is not necessary to have the welcome pack to have fun?

Block content is not the philosophy of gog.
If a developer wants to sell a game with blocked content from drm he can do it on steam, origins etc ...
j0ekerr: -Of course it needs to authenticate, authentication is the whole point of a key. It does so against the developer's server, that's why it's a one time use. Authenticating a key code is not the same as giving them your account info or credit card number, specially since they are the ones that created the key in the first place. Nor is it DRM since it doesn't withhold content or features.
That is the very definition of DRM. How do you not know this?

If my software has to phone home to a remote server, authenticate, and then give me a one-time activation...

I mean, there can't possibly be a more clear example of DRM. It's literally the actual, exact definition.

Short of flying to Poland and knocking on GOG's door with literal torches and pitchforks... what do we do? This is absolutely a game-breaker for me. A fatal shot to the temple.
BKGaming: Can you play without authenticating online? Yes.
Can you obtain all content in game without authenticating online? Yes.
Does it really only work once? No, why because we can do this thing called "actually playing the game" to get the same thing instead of having it handed to us.

Calling this DRM is the most idiotic argument I've seen against DRM on GOG yet...
Coelocanth: Yes, you can play the game. Yes, you can get that content via playing through the game.

But let's be clear here: the content itself isn't the issue. The issue is the fact that the Treasure Key, should you choose to use it, is authenticated on-line. This is the very definition of DRM. The fact that it actually adds nothing to the game that isn't already there is immaterial.

I personally don't give a crap about the actual content. But this is GOG. Champion of DRM-free. So how are they promoting something, even if it's just a glorified cheat code, with DRM activation as a thank-you exclusive to their customer base when supposedly one of their core principles is DRM-free? It makes no sense and stinks. Big time. How many more games will show up with this GOG-exclusive feature? Then how long before it turns into actual content that's locked behind an on-line 'one-time only' activation? Again, slippery slope and all that. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I'm not sure calling it DRM is right though. The way I see it is that they give an incentive for players of this game to join up Galaxy. Galaxy as a whole is an investment for GOG. If it doesn't get the numbers they were hoping it will be classified as a failure.
high rated

I personally don't give a crap about the actual content. But this is GOG. Champion of DRM-free. So how are they promoting something, even if it's just a glorified cheat code, with DRM activation as a thank-you exclusive to their customer base when supposedly one of their core principles is DRM-free? It makes no sense and stinks. Big time. How many more games will show up with this GOG-exclusive feature? Then how long before it turns into actual content that's locked behind an on-line 'one-time only' activation? Again, slippery slope and all that. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
QFT, +1.

This brings back memories of the fourms upon release of the first game that introduced DLC to GOG. Let me see, what game was that? Wasn't it Omerta? I wonder what happened to its developer? What was its name again? Haemimont?

Anyhow, I believe this is simply a test case introduced by GOG to test the waters. I expect that the game will sell well [it does look fun, but then so did Omerta initially] and we'll see more DRM'd add-ons for DRM-free games. Fun.
Although the game card extensively explains all the advantages of the GOG exclusive treasure key it does not mention that you can use that key only once. So as long as you are within the 30 days coverage period and the key does not work a second time you should be able to get a refund. ;)
j0ekerr: -Of course it needs to authenticate, authentication is the whole point of a key. It does so against the developer's server, that's why it's a one time use. Authenticating a key code is not the same as giving them your account info or credit card number, specially since they are the ones that created the key in the first place. Nor is it DRM since it doesn't withhold content or features.
yogsloth: That is the very definition of DRM. How do you not know this?

If my software has to phone home to a remote server, authenticate, and then give me a one-time activation...

I mean, there can't possibly be a more clear example of DRM. It's literally the actual, exact definition.

Short of flying to Poland and knocking on GOG's door with literal torches and pitchforks... what do we do? This is absolutely a game-breaker for me. A fatal shot to the temple.
You miss the point. The authentication is in no way, shape or form preventing you from accessing any single part of this game. None. The whole point of DRM is to limit the buyer to what the publisher/developer wants. You can install this game on a million other machines and you'll have access to the same stuff as someone to used the key.
Coelocanth: Again, it's not the content (cheat code). I couldn't give a shit about that. It's what the situation represents. Yes, sure, I agree it's just silly as a single isolated incident. But I don't trust that this will be a single, isolated incident. This is my concern. Others may be worried about more or upset about more than this. I still see no resaon for GOG to agree to an on-line activation of any aspect of a single player game experience sold in their DRM-free store.

Unfortunately, I have to go do some errands, so I'm going to have to bow out of the discussion at this point, although I doubt we'd end up seeing eye to eye on this anyway. However, I tip my hat to a civil discussion. :)
And I'll be right there fighting if this becomes a problem. If content was locked behind an online authentication I'd be pissed. If my ability to play the was locked behind authentication I'd be pissed. But I'm not going to call out a likley good game for something like this that is far from DRM.

Online Authentication =/= DRM. But yes online authentication can fall into being DRM. That doesn't make them one and the same. You authenticate online every time you play MP. DRM is about controlling media after sale, and this in no way gives the developer the power to control the media you bought or what you can do with it.
BKGaming: So what if a cheat is authenticated online, the game itself is not. If they gave you a cheat code and said you can use this once to unlock bonus stuff early you would say that is DRM? A cheat code? Its the same difference.

Anyone who has the game on GOG has internet, as this is a digital store. It's only works once, so it not something were going to be blocked from doing 5 or 10 years from now then GOG might be long gone. I'm all for fighting the good fight when it's warranted, but this is just silly...
synfresh: Keep in mind I agree with you, but your first sentence is the problem. That fact that ANYTHING is authenticated online after the initial download is the problem for some. They equate THAT to DRM.
As I said above:

Online Authentication =/= DRM. But yes online authentication can fall into being DRM. That doesn't make them one and the same. You authenticate online every time you play MP. DRM is about controlling media after sale, and this in no way gives the developer the power to control the media you bought or what you can do with it.
Post edited July 24, 2015 by BKGaming

HijacK: I'm not sure calling it DRM is right though. The way I see it is that they give an incentive for players of this game to join up Galaxy. Galaxy as a whole is an investment for GOG. If it doesn't get the numbers they were hoping it will be classified as a failure.
you don't need galaxy to use the key...
also they say it's optional...
also we use gog because it's 100% drm-free... if they start sell 90% drm-free I will buy my games on humble bundle that give me a steam key... there is a reason for me to use gog, it's to support drm-free, in games, movies etc...
I don't give a crap about galaxy or have a drm game on gog.
ricki42: I didn't know this. What content is missing on GOG?
Randoo: "dev server side" keys that are drop in online mode on steam to "start a treasure hunt/bounty "

http://steamcommunity.com/app/345180/discussions/0/541906348038874466/#p2
Thanks. I'm not quite sure I understand what that means (I rarely play online, so I'm not up to speed with how things work) but if I understand correctly, wouldn't including those treasure hunt keys - and thus again requiring you to log in - be worse than the cheat code on GOG? So it sounds more like an online-only feature that was removed to make it playable without a Steam client or GOG galaxy or similar.
Or do those keys actually unlock new areas and new monster types?
In other words, I'm surprised you'd complain about this being missing content, while also complaining about getting the cheat key. But I may well be misunderstanding what's going on with those treasure hunts on steam.
high rated
*tinfoil hat on*

first you give them free "treasure keys"
then after user opinion changes to "it's no big deal, just one time activation",
you start to provide "exclusive content" with online activation.
and then we'll have another steam that is "not really a drm, just one (or more) time activation"...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taming
synfresh: You miss the point. . You can install this game on a million other machines and you'll have access to the same stuff as someone to used the key.
BKGaming: Online Authentication =/= DRM.
Are you guys paid pollsters or something?

I'm pretty sure I have the point correct, thanks.

Online authentication = DRM. One-time authentication = DRM. There is no rational argument against this. It's not like Desktop Dungeons or Race the Sun where you can register with the publisher if you want leaderboards.

This is a specific in-game feature that has a limited activiation, that must be authenticated by a remote server.

Insane. Insane.

Randoo: indeed, it's in game feature (you don't need to be online on steam to play the content you unlocked through ingame droped keys, it's most likely the same here. "cheat content" as a gift package is coded in the game) locked behind a one-time-only online activation with a user identification and authentification.

aka drm locked content.
Same could be said for online multiplayer then, which is a game feature. You have to authenticate online to play and you have to use a key. Online is not the enemy here. Being online doesn't = DRM.

DRM is about giving the power to the developer/publisher to control the game after you purchase it and stopping your from doing such things as installing it, copying it, ect. This is far from that.
yogsloth: This is a specific in-game feature that has a limited activiation, that must be authenticated by a remote server.
Again explain how that is different from multiplayer? Everything you just said can literally be applied to multiplayer.. it's an in-game feature... it's activation to the server is limited by how long that server is available, and you authenticate when you connect?
Post edited July 24, 2015 by BKGaming
Randoo: indeed, it's in game feature (you don't need to be online on steam to play the content you unlocked through ingame droped keys, it's most likely the same here. "cheat content" as a gift package is coded in the game) locked behind a one-time-only online activation with a user identification and authentification.

aka drm locked content.
BKGaming: Same could be said for online multiplayer then, which is a game feature. You have to authenticate online to play and you have to use a key. Online is not the enemy here. Being online doesn't = DRM.

DRM is about giving the power to the developer/publisher to control the game after you purchase it and stopping your from doing such things as installing it, copying it, ect. This is far from that.
it don't means drm when you can install the same game on two computer use the same serial and play multiplayer, if you can't it's still drm.
If there are other games that use drm on gog than it's still wrong.