It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Some mushrooms are deadlier than others.

ATOM RPG: Post-apocalyptic indie game, a love letter to the classic Fallouts, is now available DRM-free.

After nearly wiping each other out with nuclear bombs in 1986, the Soviet Union and the Western Bloc are scraping by in the wasteland. Now someone is out to finish the job. While scrounging up a living for yourself, engaging in turn-based combat and stat-based gameplay, you will make fateful choices and explore the Soviet wasteland for answers.
Does this game have any S.t.a.l.k.e.r. elements? I know it looks like fallout games but does it have any newgame+ or free roam to ignore the story and just mess around and re spawning enemies/ items?

very temped on getting this game.
DreamedArtist: Does this game have any S.t.a.l.k.e.r. elements? I know it looks like fallout games but does it have any newgame+ or free roam to ignore the story and just mess around and re spawning enemies/ items?

I don't know what you are implying saying "S.t.a.l.k.e.r. elements". Well, it is not "First Person Shooter". (I didn't play S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)

Aside from that:
"Newgame+"… No.
"free roam to ignore the story and just mess around and re spawning enemies/ items"… It uses "Random Encounter" mechanic on the world map, so some (or most of the :) ) grinding is certainly possible. But, as I get it, it has the "Level Scaling" mechanic (what's the purpose of empowering PC with new levels if you boost hostile NPCs by the same amount at least at the same time?). Yeah, local countryside drunkards with top tier assault rifles and armor.
DreamedArtist: Does this game have any S.t.a.l.k.e.r. elements? I know it looks like fallout games but does it have any newgame+ or free roam to ignore the story and just mess around and re spawning enemies/ items?

Alm888: I don't know what you are implying saying "S.t.a.l.k.e.r. elements". Well, it is not "First Person Shooter". (I didn't play S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)

Aside from that:
"Newgame+"… No.
"free roam to ignore the story and just mess around and re spawning enemies/ items"… It uses "Random Encounter" mechanic on the world map, so some (or most of the :) ) grinding is certainly possible. But, as I get it, it has the "Level Scaling" mechanic (what's the purpose of empowering PC with new levels if you boost hostile NPCs by the same amount at least at the same time?). Yeah, local countryside drunkards with top tier assault rifles and armor.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/552620/discussions/1/1744480966994850234/

Not quite as bad as Oblivion where you run into random "poor" bandits struggling to survive while decked out in Daedric gear!
tremere110: https://steamcommunity.com/app/552620/discussions/1/1744480966994850234/

Not quite as bad as Oblivion where you run into random "poor" bandits struggling to survive while decked out in Daedric gear!
Well, maybe they toned down it somewhat.
Last thing I remember from my beta attempts, cult followers, who started out with bricks and zero armor, soon were wearing leather armor and were armed with rusty pistols/rifles (gladly, they still were wearing tinfoil hats) and drunkards soon instead of crowbars began sporting decent firearms as well. Not sure about stats, as when I played there were no perks to see hp/weapon.
The official RPG Codex review of this is very positive, so that's good enough for me!
Crosmando: The official RPG Codex review of this is very positive, so that's good enough for me!
That´s highly unusual for you :)
Interested, but I guess is a bit too early at thi stage.
Hope will be fixed in time, for a more polished experience.
dtgreene: Since this is an RPG (or is at least labeled as one), three questions:
* How is the character growth system? Are experience levels used, does the game use skill points, and is there a way to improve your characters?
* How is the magic system? Are the mechanics interesting, and is there a good selection of spells?
* How is healing handled? Are there interesting healing options? Are healing spells and items strong enough to be worth using during combat, or are they so poor that they're impractical for even out-of-combat healing? Does resting heal you fully, or just partially? (Also, can you rest anywhere, or just in certain places, or everywhere but certain places?)
Leveling is heavily inspired by Fallout's Skills system, and you can expect it to function in much the same way.
I'm not that far in, so as far as I'm aware, there is no magic system.

Healing is heavily based on food/drink items you can either barter for, loot, or craft. Some things may require sleep/rest.
Tarhiel: Really? Just because you can´t play as a woman, you´re not gonna try the game?

I´ve played many times as the opposite sex but never would I thought NOT to play a game if it didn´t allow me to change the sex of my character.
dtgreene: Given that:
1. The game doesn't *really* appeal to me enough to outweigh that factor, and
2. There are other similar games I haven't played that do allow you to play a female character
yes, I am not going to try the game.

(I still want the answer to the question I asked in that post.)

Edit: Why the low rating? What did I do wrong here? Why am I being punished for participating in this topic?
first i always choose a female character if game allows, nothing wrong with choosing female character , maybe because i am a guy i choose a female character, why should men not be allowed to pick a female character? all my online games / flashgames ( with option to join playerclan) always have a female character or face so what is the big deal choosing a female character?
Now to go back why the low rating: maybe its because when a game gets an overall positive approval and many replies are positive they go in defense mode and low rate users that not follow the crowd, or better go with the flow

Google result: go with the flow

Go with the flow definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/.../go-with-the-flow
phrase. If you go with the flow, you let things happen or let other people tell you what to do, rather than trying to control what happens yourself.
Always keep it nice and clean, but we are allowed to tell how we think about it, thats democracy, so if people/users/gamers do not like the fact some people do not go with the flow or not following the crowd
they obviously rate it down.(maybe they will even downrate my reply, which ofcourse will prove my point :D)
Anyway just wait and see if/what happens to this reply/post if its lowrated then you know why....
Post edited January 24, 2019 by gamesfreak64
This would be an instant buy for me if...
dtgreene: Since this is an RPG (or is at least labeled as one), three questions:
* How is the character growth system? Are experience levels used, does the game use skill points, and is there a way to improve your characters?
* How is the magic system? Are the mechanics interesting, and is there a good selection of spells?
* How is healing handled? Are there interesting healing options? Are healing spells and items strong enough to be worth using during combat, or are they so poor that they're impractical for even out-of-combat healing? Does resting heal you fully, or just partially? (Also, can you rest anywhere, or just in certain places, or everywhere but certain places?)
LiquidOxygen80: Leveling is heavily inspired by Fallout's Skills system, and you can expect it to function in much the same way.
I'm not that far in, so as far as I'm aware, there is no magic system.

Healing is heavily based on food/drink items you can either barter for, loot, or craft. Some things may require sleep/rest.
stimpacks :D were the best ....
about craftin : almost every game is full with it, perosnally i am not charmed by crafting , i own a few games that have it but they overdid it: too many items to choose from will make crafting a night mare, plus the items are usally so small... : underrail has too many small items.....

Anyway the say the engine a game uses ( not talking about the program code its written in like unity) but the engine , today its all metallic looking people , they shine like polished metal... people look naturally in the old games like fallout classics , today they look like they are made of metal, vectors, which i dont prefer: good old bitmapped were the best, okay they are ancient and old i agree but they look best and more lifelike then the characters used in moder n developing.
SoMuchATOM: So, why would they give you a cheap and weak firearm? This is the question we asked ourselves, and that's how we decided to go with the cliche robbery scenario.
You could make weapon jam, if you don't want player to use it.

Btw, here is my ATOM review.
Post edited January 24, 2019 by LootHunter

free roaming and many enemies to do away with ?
fallout tactics has it and thats why it got lower ratings then fallout 1 + 2
but wathcing the movies it looks ist clearly aiming for a fallout approach ( minus the new engine to rotat and zoom / 3d which is the main reason for me not to buy it)note that i am clearly replying that i dont think the game is bad i dont call it a bad game either. to avoid miscommunication and getting tons of - button presses
i only have remarks about the engine used ( the scrolling zooming rotating) NOT the game, cause that is very good .

Anyway maybe someday a real clone will comeout and look like classic fallout with same graphics but improved, sharper and hihger resolution perhaps, but to me the classics rule over any remake/ lookalike.
That will be an instabuy.
After a few dozen hours in; this was a good game, until about 20-25 hours in. Then it's starting to suffer from "we need to make our numbers more numbery so it'll take two billion hours to finish, more hours means better game after all, especially in the community of TRUE GAMERZ".

I'd rather have fun, 20hours game, than the same game, artificially stretched for another 80 hours. It's started as a solid 8 or even 9/10. Right now I'd rate it at 5/10 at best.

Edit: finished. It was ok; there's a lot of bad design choices, but it was still a breath of fresh air within indie games. I'm interested in their next project and I really hope they'll hire a game designer this time.
Post edited January 25, 2019 by reative00
SoMuchATOM:
Or... Wait for it... you start off with only fists you have to find weapon pieces throughout the game hidden in very hard to reach locations, first one you could get is a kitchen knife which could be easy to get right up to a Chainsaws which you have to scavenge for parts Killer Idea huh!

Making guns out of household things... LOL even Motorbikes make them out of pieces you could scavenge

gamesfreak64: free roaming and many enemies to do away with ?
fallout tactics has it and thats why it got lower ratings then fallout 1 + 2
but wathcing the movies it looks ist clearly aiming for a fallout approach ( minus the new engine to rotat and zoom / 3d which is the main reason for me not to buy it)note that i am clearly replying that i dont think the game is bad i dont call it a bad game either. to avoid miscommunication and getting tons of - button presses
i only have remarks about the engine used ( the scrolling zooming rotating) NOT the game, cause that is very good .

Anyway maybe someday a real clone will comeout and look like classic fallout with same graphics but improved, sharper and hihger resolution perhaps, but to me the classics rule over any remake/ lookalike.
That will be an instabuy.
Do you have the classic fallout 1 and 2? Cause I know of a place you can get the Mods for it.

Fallout Fixt
Post edited January 25, 2019 by fr33kSh0w2012