It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Some mushrooms are deadlier than others.

ATOM RPG: Post-apocalyptic indie game, a love letter to the classic Fallouts, is now available DRM-free.

After nearly wiping each other out with nuclear bombs in 1986, the Soviet Union and the Western Bloc are scraping by in the wasteland. Now someone is out to finish the job. While scrounging up a living for yourself, engaging in turn-based combat and stat-based gameplay, you will make fateful choices and explore the Soviet wasteland for answers.
Silverhawk170485: At the beginning (after the tutorial) raiders want to robb you. Because of your talking skills convincing them to stop it succeds but then they attack you anyway (because the developer wants it so). The battle begins. Beside you lies an AK47. When you grab it, it's suddenly gone (because the developer doesn't want you to win against the raiders). So you only can fight with your fists and loose (because the developer want you to loose all your items at the beginning).
markrichardb: It's a classic setup to a campaign. The idea is to put you in a place where you gotta' do what you gotta' do to survive, even if that means becoming as opportunistic and ruthless as your attackers. Besides, you've no attachment to items the game just handed you mere seconds ago.
Sure that this a classic setup. I don't blame that you have to begin with nothing. But what I blame here is that there is a weapon and then AKRKADABRA it disappears like magic from your inventory because you are not allowed to use it. What I wanted to say is, that everything what happens in the gameworld should make any sense. Now it's very clumsy.
Either there should be no weapon from beginning or you are not able to go and get the weapon in time before a raider takes it. That's logic.
Tarhiel: Really? Just because you can´t play as a woman, you´re not gonna try the game?
Alm888: Funny thing is last time I checked, you can play female character (and even …ahem… "convince" female NPCs) in this game.

Well, at least in Kickstarter-exclusive DRM-free build v1.06, that is. Dunno for the GOG release.
I played the game last night and you could select from a wide variety of female and male characters so you can play as a man or woman in the game.
Alm888: Funny thing is last time I checked, you can play female character (and even …ahem… "convince" female NPCs) in this game.

Well, at least in Kickstarter-exclusive DRM-free build v1.06, that is. Dunno for the GOG release.
JudasIscariot: I played the game last night and you could select from a wide variety of female and male characters so you can play as a man or woman in the game.
Yeah, I know that. :)
No such luck with recruitable NPCs, though. The are only a handful of companions, all of whom on the "good" path are men (the dog doesn't count). And the sole female companion is exclusive to the "evil" path, and after falling from grace there is no going back and half of the game world (including your former companions) is eager to greet you with lead in your face. :)
Or so I've heard.
Post edited January 23, 2019 by Alm888

JudasIscariot: I played the game last night and you could select from a wide variety of female and male characters so you can play as a man or woman in the game.
Thanks for clarifying that, Judas, although for me that would be no issue at all :)
looks very polished and a good time waster, wont get it as i still have a backlog of underrail and other similar games, otherwise, id get it in an instant
Nicole28: Perhaps at most, there might be a gay companion/romance option. There won't be any lesbian equivalent as you can't play as a female protagonist [redacted] in this particular RPG.
Wut? I'm playing as female protagonist in ATOM just now.
LootHunter: Wut? I'm playing as female protagonist in ATOM just now.
Sweet, sweet post-apocalyptic ass... *cough* I mean: Equality! =P
Post edited January 23, 2019 by Mr.Mumbles
(***In Zoidberg Voice***)

Fallout-Gasm, (Slobbers all over the keyboard, While soiling shorts in excitement) {Not I.R.L. mind you}

Now I can play with myself all over again... Umm... That didn't come out quite right... Woop woop woop woop woop woop woop woop.
Post edited January 23, 2019 by fr33kSh0w2012
falloutttt: I kind of got far in the game and don't really remember if i have seen any medieval armor. But there are some nice chickens in the game tho.
SoMuchATOM: There is that one encounter where you just might get a medieval helmet... Apart from that, there is some of the armor that looks like plate armor, but is actually based on WWII Soviet infantry armor! :)
I most likely missed the opportunity to find the helmet. Will be playing the game again soon enough anyway. Will find it then fo sure.

Thank you very much for making such wonderful game, btw. I for one had lots of fun with it.

All the best to you guys!
Silverhawk170485: Hmm, I instabought it because some people here praised it to heaven.
After playing it for about 20 minutes I'm disappointed.

The game is inconsistent at it's best:

Situation 1:
At the beginning (after the tutorial) raiders want to robb you. Because of your talking skills convincing them to stop it succeds but then they attack you anyway (because the developer wants it so). The battle begins. Beside you lies an AK47. When you grab it, it's suddenly gone (because the developer doesn't want you to win against the raiders). So you only can fight with your fists and loose (because the developer want you to loose all your items at the beginning).

Situation 2:
You ask a barkeeper if he has a job for. He sais no but the woman over there. When you want to end the conversation he suddenly sais, wait a sec I have a job for you. Then asking the woman he pointed at, the same game as above.

Wtf. This is some stupid storywriting. That really destroys the immersion.

Then there are some annoying bugs in this game, like when you change the resolution once, you can't change it back. Therefore you have to reinstall the whole game (Mac version). And when you change the resolution, close the menu, reopen it, it always falsely shows you the highest resolution.

I don't know why this game is so highrated.
Hi there! I'm very sorry for the experience you're having with that resolution thing. If you can, please send the contents of the ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log to our support@atomrpg.com and we will do our best to fix it. That's only the second time we heard about that issue from a MAC user, and the first time we solved it quite fast.

On the story - we get a lot of flac about the start of the game, but you have to keep in mind that it's not the game yet, it's the intro. The reason behind this intro is to make you start the game with little to no items. You're playing as a junior operative, so you can't start without weapons right off the bat. That's why you need a weapon. But you also need to lose it somehow. Imagine starting the game with an AK. It'd be like god mode :)) Hence the robbery. We could make you like... fall asleep and make a bear steal your weapon, or trip and accidentally throw your weapon in a river or something. Would that be better? A premise is a premise. We don't get mad at the Terminator movies, because the Terminator starts completely naked and has to go around looking for clothes and weapons, right?

On the barkeep situation: You ask Sasha for a local job here, in the Otradnoye town. He points you to his sister. Then, as you walk away, he remembers a chore he must do - give a receipt to a bookseller in a far away city of Krasnoznamenny. That's not exactly a local town job, is it? :) It's not what you've been asking for. Believe me, even though it might start rough, the game gets better eventually. Our players and fans can't all be liars, right? :)

Tarhiel: Really? Just because you can´t play as a woman, you´re not gonna try the game?

Ofc you can play as a woman! You always could, ever since the 2017 beta. Use the arrows under the portrait on the creation screen to pick your gender. If it's a female portrait - you're a female character, if it's male - you're a male. Not only do we have both genders in the game, we actually have many quests that are unique for males and females, so each playthrough has its own special moments.
SoMuchATOM: There is that one encounter where you just might get a medieval helmet... Apart from that, there is some of the armor that looks like plate armor, but is actually based on WWII Soviet infantry armor! :)
falloutttt: I most likely missed the opportunity to find the helmet. Will be playing the game again soon enough anyway. Will find it then fo sure.

Thank you very much for making such wonderful game, btw. I for one had lots of fun with it.

All the best to you guys!
Thank you very much! Between you and me, the helmet can be found while completing the Death Gang quest. Get it from the guy who likes to set things on fire.
Post edited January 23, 2019 by SoMuchATOM
dtgreene: That's actually a dealbreaker for me, particularly when there are other similar games available that let you play as a female protagonist. (I note that this is also why I haven't even tried Ultima 8 or 9.)

By the way, there's one more gameplay-related question: In the early game, how often do attacks (on both sides) miss? (To be specific, let's assume a level 1 character attacking a weak enemy.)

I´ve played many times as the opposite sex but never would I thought NOT to play a game if it didn´t allow me to change the sex of my character.
But you can play as a woman! Just like the people already pointed out, you merely push the arrows beneath the character portrait on the creation screen. If there is a Women on the portrait you will play as one. If there is a male - you will play as one.
Wow game looks awesome and stupid cheap...

... not sure when I'll commit to such a huge game though... will decide whether to impulse buy later, probably to support the devs. Lot of neat stuff showing up here lately.

Anyone know if the 100+ hours of content is more like a "side quest and DO EVERYTHING" sort of number? And maybe the main quest / game gives you a chance to be a bit more focused in your playthrough?
Ixamyakxim: Anyone know if the 100+ hours of content is more like a "side quest and DO EVERYTHING" sort of number? And maybe the main quest / game gives you a chance to be a bit more focused in your playthrough?
Check howlongtobeat after more people will finish the game.
SoMuchATOM: On the story - we get a lot of flac about the start of the game, but you have to keep in mind that it's not the game yet, it's the intro. The reason behind this intro is to make you start the game with little to no items. You're playing as a junior operative, so you can't start without weapons right off the bat. That's why you need a weapon. But you also need to lose it somehow. Imagine starting the game with an AK. It'd be like god mode :)) Hence the robbery. We could make you like... fall asleep and make a bear steal your weapon, or trip and accidentally throw your weapon in a river or something. Would that be better? A premise is a premise. We don't get mad at the Terminator movies, because the Terminator starts completely naked and has to go around looking for clothes and weapons, right?
Personally, I think the best way to deal with the need to start with a weapon is to give the player some weak weapon, not strings attached, and dispense with the intro. Wasteland does this, for example; every character starts out with a clip pistol (the weakest type of firearm in the game); this allows the player to start with a weapon (and is nice for players who prefer to use firearms, though that isn't the best strategy in the early game of Wasteland), but doesn't break the game right away.

Having the player start with a weapon does not mean having to start the player with an AK-47 (assuming such weapon is powerful in the context of the game).
SoMuchATOM: On the story - we get a lot of flac about the start of the game, but you have to keep in mind that it's not the game yet, it's the intro. The reason behind this intro is to make you start the game with little to no items. You're playing as a junior operative, so you can't start without weapons right off the bat. That's why you need a weapon. But you also need to lose it somehow. Imagine starting the game with an AK. It'd be like god mode :)) Hence the robbery. We could make you like... fall asleep and make a bear steal your weapon, or trip and accidentally throw your weapon in a river or something. Would that be better? A premise is a premise. We don't get mad at the Terminator movies, because the Terminator starts completely naked and has to go around looking for clothes and weapons, right?
dtgreene: Personally, I think the best way to deal with the need to start with a weapon is to give the player some weak weapon, not strings attached, and dispense with the intro. Wasteland does this, for example; every character starts out with a clip pistol (the weakest type of firearm in the game); this allows the player to start with a weapon (and is nice for players who prefer to use firearms, though that isn't the best strategy in the early game of Wasteland), but doesn't break the game right away.

Having the player start with a weapon does not mean having to start the player with an AK-47 (assuming such weapon is powerful in the context of the game).
We were playing around with what you suggest, but decided not to do this, since even though you're playing as a junior cadet, you are still a member of a military organization, that can give out good equipment. Plus, your mission is very important. So, why would they give you a cheap and weak firearm? This is the question we asked ourselves, and that's how we decided to go with the cliche robbery scenario.