It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The legend is reborn.

<span class="bold">Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition</span>, the return of the most celebrated RPG of all time, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 30% discount for owners of the original!

A layered story laced with philosophical undercurrents. A fantasy setting unlike any other. One of the most memorable casts of eccentric, interconnected characters. This is Planescape: Torment, the gold standard for narrative-driven RPGs of the past 18 years. And now it's back!
Beamdog and lead designer <span class="bold">Chris Avellone</span> joined forces to update the game with fixes, enhancements, and key additions, all in sync with the original vision of this timeless masterpiece. With a remastered soundtrack, a crisp 4K interface, and neat convenience features, the Enhanced Edition is coming to captivate a new audience and remind its dedicated fans why they just seem unable to take it off their all-time favorites list.

The 30% discount for owners of <span class="bold">Planescape: Torment</span> will last until April 4, 9 PM UTC.

Note: <span class="bold">Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition</span> will feature the unaltered original version and the Enhanced Edition in one definitive collection exclusively on GOG.com. The original game will no longer be available for purchase on its own, after the Enhanced Edition is released. Owners of the classic Planescape: Torment will not be affected by upcoming changes to the product.

<div class="embedded_video">
<iframe class="embedded_video__file" width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wvsqfuRHmb8?wmode=opaque&amp;rel=0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
Post edited March 29, 2017 by maladr0Id
high rated
Grargar: You do know that both System Shock and Strife come with their original versions here, right?
The point is that you cannot buy only the original if you don't want any of the enhancements. Quite frankly, I don't see the point of paying extra just to have a crummy source port included when I could just put the WAD into a source port of my choice myself. Same with the EEs from Beamdog. Originally you had the choice, but then Beamdog or Wizard seemed to notice that people just kept buying the originals for half the price, so they pulled them into the EEs.
HiPhish: The point is that you cannot buy only the original if you don't want any of the enhancements. Quite frankly, I don't see the point of paying extra just to have a crummy source port included when I could just put the WAD into a source port of my choice myself. Same with the EEs from Beamdog. Originally you had the choice, but then Beamdog or Wizard seemed to notice that people just kept buying the originals for half the price, so they pulled them into the EEs.
Fair enough, but the way you worded it made it sound like it was impossible to get the original versions at all (as is the case for something like Grim Fandango).
high rated
Grargar: You do know that both System Shock and Strife come with their original versions here, right?
HiPhish: The point is that you cannot buy only the original if you don't want any of the enhancements.
For me these are still two completely different cases. Of course I also would appreciate when they would sell the original and the enhanced versions of System Shock or Strife separately to give customers a choice. But at least they have done something for the games, they have made them available again, even in their original form, while Beamdog have done exactly the opposite, they have pulled completely playable versions of the original games from the stores only to support the sale of their own work (at least that seems to be part of their deal).
Post edited March 29, 2017 by eiii
low rated
Tarhiel: I too think people are unreasonably negative.
Harzzach: You have to differ between reasonable critique and stupid, politically motivated hate. Beamdogs Enhanced versions suffered from some nasty bugs, their release quality wasnt that good. But bugs were fixed, all good now.

Those Gamergate freaks however ... they freak out over ONE EFFIN line of dialogue and behave like its the apocalypse and the Second Coming of Jeebbus. Fragile little children, you really have to pity them ...
This thread is quite entertaining. I suspect half the people posting in it are the "Gamergate freaks" that you mention.
low rated
eiii: For me these are still two completely different cases. Of course I also would appreciate when they would sell the original and the enhanced versions of System Shock or Strife separately to give customers a choice. But at least they have done something for the games, they have made them available again, even in their original form, while Beamdog have done exactly the opposite, they have pulled completely playable versions of the original games from the stores only to support the sale of their own work (at least that seems to be part of their deal).
I may misunderstand you, but the original versions of all EEs so far are still in the store, just not separately. It's the same as with Strife and System Shock which also have the EE bundled with the originals.

Where is the difference you see but I don't?
Stryder2931: I never played this game; but, it seems that everyone speaks very highly of it. Was it similar to Baldur's Gate or IWD? Is it worthwhile getting?
That depends on what you're looking for. It uses the same engine as Baldur's Gate and IWD, and it's made by the same studio as IWD as well, but while IWD is more focused on tactical combat than great story and characters, Planescape: Torment is the opposite - better storytelling, worse combat, much more reading than fighting, but the text is actually interesting. Of course, this is also a matter of taste, but IMO the setting is much more original and fresh, not your average fantasy world and story that you've seen countless times before, and the companions are special as well (e.g. half-demons and constructs instead of elves and dwarves).

Also, in this game high INT, CHA, WIS are generally more rewarding than high STR, CON and DEX, as they open up new dialogue and roleplay options and reveal more about the story. Another big difference is that you can't create your own party like in IWD, instead you play just one character with a certain history (yet unknown to you) like in BG, but you can't customize his looks either. It's the same character for every player, except for your choices on stats, class and what role and attitude you will give him during your playthrough, determined by your choices.

Stryder2931: Should I just buy the original? If so, how would the graphics look from a game so old? Or is that part of the nostalgia? It is GOG after all!!!
Take a look at the screenshots of the original and/or watch videos on YouTube and then decide if you're fine with the old style or would prefer the Enhanced Edition. At this point noone can really tell yet in which regard it will be better or worse, it's all up to your own preferences.

Here's a short video review from PC Gamer by a reviewer who didn't have nostalgia for the game and played it for the first time four years ago. Not saying it's the best review, but it was the first short one I found and it might be enough to give you a first impression.
Post edited March 29, 2017 by Leroux
high rated
Muad.406: I assume that Torment will go into a Beamdog bundle now. And the original devs names will just sort of be shuffled into the corner.

Since when does glorified port studio get to slap their name on venerable classics?
Highly likely. I guess they decided to skip the 'let's sweep all these negative reviews for our bad product under the rug' step this time around.
low rated
ValamirCleaver: I wonder how many bothered to directly contact Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro to express their opinion regarding the original versions of the Infinity Engine games only being available for purchase with the Beamdog Enhanced Editions or does anyone realistically believe that Beamdog and/or GOG unilaterally made that decision on their own?
Have you kept up with the recent developments at Wizards? There's no D&D anymore, it's a cash grab for a couple of grifters and a licensing outfit. If anything, Wizards would prefer to show higher sales for a new licensed product (so I believe it's their unilateral decision), and Hasbro is too big to care about D&D as a whole: a single game is just dust under pony hooves.
high rated
ValamirCleaver: I wonder how many bothered to directly contact Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro to express their opinion regarding the original versions of the Infinity Engine games only being available for purchase with the Beamdog Enhanced Editions or does anyone realistically believe that Beamdog and/or GOG unilaterally made that decision on their own?
Starmaker: Have you kept up with the recent developments at Wizards? There's no D&D anymore, it's a cash grab for a couple of grifters and a licensing outfit. If anything, Wizards would prefer to show higher sales for a new licensed product (so I believe it's their unilateral decision), and Hasbro is too big to care about D&D as a whole: a single game is just dust under pony hooves.
Sad news indeed. I guess I'm not too surprised that D&D is getting mistreated when MtG is being handled similarly.
high rated
V4V: I may misunderstand you, but the original versions of all EEs so far are still in the store, just not separately. It's the same as with Strife and System Shock which also have the EE bundled with the originals.

Where is the difference you see but I don't?
The difference is what has changed.

System Shock and Strife have not been available for purchase before. The people which did the enhanced version made the game available for us. Bringing the original version back is part of their offer. That effort deserves my respect.

The Baldur's Gate games and now Planescape: Torment were available for purchase before. The people which did the enhanced version canceled that previous offer. They canceled it to increase the sales of their own work. That's the difference.
Post edited March 29, 2017 by eiii
low rated
What the heck is going on with massive downvoting in this thread?

Edit: Everybody who's not content with the pre-order is upvoted, and everybody who's happy about it or admits to pre-ordering is downvoted. It's so unbelievably petty and pathetic...
Post edited March 29, 2017 by InkPanther
low rated
amurgaming: A little shitty though, that Steam gets the soundtrack. GOG used to be the place where gamers would get plenty of juicy extras. These days no or paid extras seem to be the norm :(
AndyBuzz: The soundtrack on Steam is a DLC and I think it will cost $10 to buy.
My guess is that GOG will get a similar deal, can't imagine why not. But the point is that it won't be free.
Thanks for the info, haven't checked on Steam yet.

I love soundtracks but I love my $10 even more. Those were the days when soundtracks were free and thankfully they still are in many cases.

Capitalism is a bit** sometimes.
CoreyHartFanclub: There doesn't seem to be any reason to buy this enhanced version. Like with the other Infinity Engine games Beamdog has "enhanced" they can be quickly brought up to date with resolution mods and fan patches.
However it's really convenient for many to be able to run the new EE natively on macOS and Linux. Even windowed. That's a huge plus. Also modding isn't for everyone.
Post edited March 29, 2017 by amurgaming
low rated
I actually like that they started to bundle original and Enhanced versions together, without increasing the price for the Enhanced - no need for spend twice to get both versions. $20 USD is more than reasonable for both original and Enhanced versions of the game.

And maybe because I already have boxed copies of the IE games, I would never buy the originals here separately, but I'm not that interested in the Enhanced version separately either. So to able to get them together for $20 instead $30 USD is much more appealing to me.

It does seem like first time players should play original version first, and maybe that is true for any game, so it is unfortunate the price of admission is now higher, but buyers save money in the long run I think. Beamdog's move to bundle both versions together can be considered either greedy or generous or both.
low rated
InkPanther: What the heck is going on with massive downvoting in this thread?

Edit: Everybody who's not content with the pre-order is upvoted, and everybody who's happy about it or admits to pre-ordering is downvoted. It's so unbelievably petty and pathetic...
I suppose there are people around that can't handle any sort of positivity directed at Beamdog.
RadonGOG: Quite interesting BTW, after that fusion NeverwinterNights will be GOGs official bestseller. NeverwinterNights... *weird*
eiii: Don't worry, only until Hasbro let them make an enhanced edition of that too. ;)
Good luck with that. Not only is NWN more complex (from an engine standpoint), but changes to said engine will break all the mods. I can only imagine the pure, unadultered rage this would cause in the NWN community.